New season optimism

Pughnichi

In recent years, despite who we sign I’ve found myself flat. Just fed up with the state of the club, how we’ve seemingly mismanaged transfers, contracts, the stadium in a state of disrepair. Just the whole package generally made me concede that we just weren’t an elite team/club

this summer just feels different. I am feeling very positive about the future. Not just the rumours to Branthwaite, Yoro, DeLigt, Ugarte and Zirkzee….but the sense that we seem capable of handling multiple transfers.

not just those coming in but I am also optimistic about the leavers. There seems to be a lot of noise of people that shouldn’t be at the club and dont appear likely to be for much longer.

the commitment to investing heavily at Carrington

the speculation of a new stadium

the completely restructure of the back staff and importantly having people who know and understand the role and have a wealth of experience

truly exciting times comparable to the previous 10 years.

I just desperately hope we win our first game to keep this positive bounce I’m feeling

good times again

now let’s get some of those transfers over the line

The new structure does bring optimism, but we probably won’t see the full affects for a couple seasons. Still too much deadwood to get rid of.

Next season should be better though.

I'll evaluate at the end of the window/start of the season. Could be the 10th false dawn post SAF. We all mostly have a very mild form of PTSD from how the club has been ran for the last decade.

Last edited:
I'll withhold my optimism till the end of preseason. With ETH, preseason IS a good indicator of how the team will play and perform for the rest of the season.

Definitely optimism in regards to the transfer window but at the same time we are yet to sign any of our targets despite all the activity. I have a feeling we will get most of the strongly linked ones though (De Ligt, Zirkzee, Ugarte).

It’s hard to be optimistic on the pitch without see how Ten Hag is going to change things up, if he does at all. I don’t even think pre-season will be enough to judge that either.

I'm gonna take it as it comes with no real expectations.

£50m on Carrington is huge, as are the backroom appointments. It does seem as though we're targeting the right profile of players too - good ages, plenty to prove - but it may be a while before it all comes together.

Never been as deflated as this summer. Last season was an absolute kick to the gut and keeping Erik was a knee to follow up.
There is certainly some positive noises here and there which is nice but i need to see some actual improvement on the pitch before i get back to normal excitement levels.

As with most football fans I always have massive optimism going into the new season, which obviously always usually de-rails at some point.

Last year was the opener against Wolves, so hopefully a bit longer this time.

I am impressed by our seemingly really high and decisive levels of proactivity in the transfer market, but I think the real bounce in our performance in the coming season, if we have one, will be the intangible feeling that 'something is happening' at the club when the players get back.

Like they'll come back for pre-season and they'll see the renovations taking place. They'll meet the new coaches, the new CEO and sporting director, new technical director, maybe more staff buzzing around the place in general. I think there might be an infectious feeling of optimism in the air.

If I remember correctly, I think Newcastle's performances shot up to a much higher level after their takeover but before they brought in many, if any, new signings, because they just had this feeling that the future was bright. I know it doesn't directly equate to the situation at United but I think it may be a factor coming into the new season.

Players and staff members will have seen the complete stagnation of United right in front of their eyes depending on how long they've been at the club. I think it'll give them a spring in their step to know that there's a new status quo.

I’m more excited with how we handle the window this summer and progress on that front than the season if I’m honest.

Of course I’ll always be thrilled come match day 1, but I’m pretty pessimistic on the outlook of how we’ll perform this year given I don’t have faith in ETH anymore really.

But who knows, first step is getting the right players bought and sold. And the progress there is encouraging so far.

I'm so excited, and I just can't hade it

For real

I'll evaluate at the end of the window/start of the season. Could be with 10th false dawn post SAF. We all mostly have a very mild form of PTSD from how the club has been ran for the last decade.
Agree. For all the furore the Ineos part ownership has brought, we still havent actually bought anyone to play next season. Lets see where we are in August.

At my age and stage of life, I just want to enjoy delightful moments the club brings. Admittedly such moments have been getting lesser and lesser, but that doesn't douse my optimism every start is the season

In recent years, despite who we sign I’ve found myself flat. Just fed up with the state of the club, how we’ve seemingly mismanaged transfers, contracts, the stadium in a state of disrepair. Just the whole package generally made me concede that we just weren’t an elite team/club

this summer just feels different. I am feeling very positive about the future. Not just the rumours to Branthwaite, Yoro, DeLigt, Ugarte and Zirkzee….but the sense that we seem capable of handling multiple transfers.
we'll end up signing none of them

not just those coming in but I am also optimistic about the leavers. There seems to be a lot of noise of people that shouldn’t be at the club and dont appear likely to be for much longer.
they will all end up staying

the commitment to investing heavily at Carrington
that money should be going towards the new stadium

the speculation of a new stadium
its never gonna happen

the completely restructure of the back staff and importantly having people who know and understand the role and have a wealth of experience
will be completely the same

truly exciting times comparable to the previous 10 years.
i doubt it

I just desperately hope we win our first game to keep this positive bounce I’m feeling
we'll lose

good times again
we say that every year

One good cause for optimism is our under 18s last season have another year cooking, with the likes of Amass, Lacey, Ibragimov, Mantato, Williams, McCallister, Kingdon just to name afew impressing we could be looking at a possible Golden Generation to reinforce the first team after the breakthroughs of Mainoo and Garnacho

Why's that caf mostly negative? If someone tries to post something positive it gets immediately squashed with a wave of negativity. Can we not be a little bit optimistic with us now having a semblance of a decent structure now?

Thought we were gonna win the league when we had Sancho, Varane, and Ronaldo in one window.

Feck optimism. Let's get all business and start the slow, steady, meticulously calculated, cold-hearted rebuild.

I am here for the journey, not a quick magic

We have an owner who actually cares about the state of the club and not just its P and L. It does give you more positivity and optimism.

We will be able to play every game like we played in the FA Cup final. We beat City with brilliant and entertaining style of play. We thoroughly deserve to beat City.

This is the bar now and we can raise it even higher this season with the Ineos Team and new signings.

It's still early in the summer but I'm feeling maybe naively optimistic for the new season.

1. We are being quicker at getting transfer over the line. We already have Yoro and Zirkzee. Ugarte and De Ligt may be soon.

2. We seem to be getting rid of players who shouldn't be here. Greenwood and Donny already gone. Seems quite likely we get rid of some more deadwood.

3. Our core of young players should keep improving. In Mainoo, Garnacho, Amad, Hojlund and Yoro we have a lot of room for development.

4. Surely injuries can't be as bad as last season. If we have Shaw, Martinez, Mount and others fitter it gives us a much better team and squad.

5. Some underperformers from last season shouldn't be able to get worse. I'd hope to see them raise their game.

6. We are beginning to see a better organisational structure put into place with the new management team.

Am I being too optimistic or is their a lot of cause for optimism?

I am optimistic, but I've also lowered expectations. The Yoro deal is a great signal for things to come. I would love if they adopted Madrids strategy of splurging on one world class young talent every window.

Who we've signed and the type of player profile we're looking at is something to be positive about.
But we're still being managed by ETH, who I'm still undecided on.

Sign Ugarte and I’m officially excited for the new season. Until then….

Will wait for DM signing. Without that insurance our defense remains exposed.

Well it is exciting because there is a purpose and an actual plan with the sporting direction of the club. That feeling of building something. New stadium will be confirmed during the season. We move.

City are going to be done for with FPP. Liverpool are meh. Between us and Arsenal for the title. Not expecting anything less!

Will wait for DM signing. Without that insurance our defense remains exposed.
I agree. It's great that we've bought Leny Yoro and are looking towards other CB's, but until we have a great DM in front of them that backline is going to be exposed again. DM seems like the key position to get a great player into this window.

We have been here loads of times only for it to go pear shaped very quickly.

But as ever(I never learn) there is still a little part of me that feels this could finally be our year , if you don't have that little bit of hope what is the point of it all.

City are going to be done for with FPP. Liverpool are meh. Between us and Arsenal for the title. Not expecting anything less!
Leaving City and Liverpool out of it you have a great deal to make up on Arsenal who will themselves improve their squad from last season.
Your business so far looks decent and you now have some shrewd operators behind the scenes but it may take another couple of years before you really can challenge for top honours and that is assuming you continue to make more good calls than bad ones.