NBA 2019-2020

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Still reckon Bucks will do them in 6 or 7 but it is true that there is no worse matchup for them than the Heat. Budenholzer’s obsession with giving minutes to everyone on their roster is crazy, choose your 7-8 and stick with them. You don’t even have that deep of a team.
I don't trust Bud to make adjustments. Last year he lost the series against the Raptors when Nurse adjusted with Kawhi on Giannis and Bud did nothing

Already they dropped 1 game because of Bud's refusal to make adjustments. Giannis is the best defensive player in the league. In the crunch, Bud had him 20 feet away from Butler as he kept scoring in iso against Middleton(who is a bad defender on Butler in the first place! Even if you want to keep Giannis to help, at least keep Matthews on Butler, a guy who actually does a good job on him)

Mitchell v Murray will be very interesting tonight. Murray has been insane since Game 4 after horrific 2 and 3 (and great 1). 50, 42 and 50 on high efficiency, wow. Wouldn’t be shocked to see him go 6-17 for 17 points tonight. I have more confidence in Mitchell having a great game but Murray has better players next to him so they may win anyway. Porter has gone from incredible in seeding games to borderline unplayable in playoffs though.
7-21. you went close! :lol: Mitchell was great getting the Jazz back into the game and Gobert had a monster game. But so did Jokic, and in the end you were right, the nuggets just have more talent on their team
It will only go to 6 if Clippers are relaxed and underestimate Nuggets. If they are fully focused it’s done in 5 or maybe even a sweep. Whoever was winning this series was always going to be a fodder for Clippers.

Agree Harrell can’t defend Jokic. Zubac should be all right doing that. Beverley and George will give Murray a lot of trouble though.
Yeah. Nuggets need Jokic to average upwards of 30 points per game and Murray to have another 4-5 games at least of unconscious shooting to stand a chance. Jokic was such a problem on defence against Gobert and Mitchell, now they're coming up against Kawhi, PG and Lou...

Kawhi might just average upwards of 40 a night in this series

shame about Raptors losing last night as they played really, really well for three quarters only to be undone by freak series from Smart.
It's the playoffs. Ultimately, having the best player in the series matters. They won the title last year because they had Kawhi. Tatum plays for the Celtics

And the last game wasn't comfortable at all. All Mavs players aside Luka were missing open shots. It's not like they were bad shots or the Clippers were defending them, they were wide open and they were missing. THJ at one point was even afraid to take the shot. He was there wide open and he couldn't even take the shot. It was that bad from the Mavs and they still made comeback. Kawhi crushed them but that was Kawhi not the Clippers. If your the Clippers you should close that game in the 3rd quarter.
That was on Doc. He probably thought the game was done, or maybe he wanted to give Luka another chance to pull off a miracle :lol:

And on the top of that let's not forget that KP was out the last 3 games. So all you had to do was to deal with Luka and you couldn't do that.
Largely because Doc didn't want to keep Kawhi on Luka for more than a few possessions, they lost Beverley, and Morris got himself ejected in game 6 like a dumbass. The Clippers had 3 guys who troubled Luka on defence in this series, Kawhi, Morris, and Zubac as a help defender. Everyone else wasn't even a speedbump. Luka is a top 10 offensive player in the league, very few players or teams that can stop him if he shoots well(36% from 3 for the series, 50% FG, 60% TS and it's not like he was taking a lot of easy shots)

i agree Doc didn't do a lot of coaching, just made a couple of adjustements and that was it. I also think he didn't think he needed to do too much coaching in this series, and he was proven right

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Completely disagree. First of all the point is that when they turn it on they will destroy everybody, so the two blowouts are expected. The question is CAN they turn it on when ever they want and I think the answer is no.

The first game Mavs were going to win it if KP was in the game. A ridiculous call from refs that destroyed Mavs chances.
Their other 2 wins are are the blowouts, not much discussion there, that's the way Clippers should always play.
And the last game wasn't comfortable at all. All Mavs players aside Luka were missing open shots. It's not like they were bad shots or the Clippers were defending them, they were wide open and they were missing. THJ at one point was even afraid to take the shot. He was there wide open and he couldn't even take the shot. It was that bad from the Mavs and they still made comeback. Kawhi crushed them but that was Kawhi not the Clippers. If your the Clippers you should close that game in the 3rd quarter.

And on the top of that let's not forget that KP was out the last 3 games. So all you had to do was to deal with Luka and you couldn't do that.

And look, I'm a huge fan of this Dallas team and you just can't find a bigger Luka fan than me but I thought they Clippers would sweep them. There is no worse match up for Dallas than the Clippers. The Mavs, their best quality offensively is their ability to take shot from the perimeter. The Clippers have, or on the paper should have the best perimeter defense in the league. So they should be able to deal with Mavs offense but they couldn't. As i said even in the last game they were missing wide open shots. And the Mavs have no defense in them so I expected Clippers destroy them every game which again was not the case. The Clippers are the worst match up for them in league.

They have the best defensive unit on the court on paper and they couldn't hold Luka who was playing on one ankle, with his second best player out and the role players missing wide open shots. That's not acceptable. They switch everything, they think they are so great defensively and on the court we are seeing something else. That's why I say I don't see any coaching from Doc Rivers. There is no team offense, just iso plays every time with players taking turns and there is no team defense from them, just switching everything and expecting your players be great one on one defenders.

And resting your players is one thing, do not putting the work is another. Kawhi is Kawhi every time. He's not the problem, the problem is the other Clippers don't take it seriously. Last year Kawhi had his games out but every other Raptors were working hard on the court and Nick Nurse was coaching. Completely opposite from Clippers.

At the end I think there is no team that can challenge their depth and I think Kawhi will ultimately take them to win it all but they are lucky, because this year we have a lot of good teams but no great teams. I think last years Warriors or Raptors would beat them.
Considering they won 2 of those games fairly easily and lost another one freakishly, I'd say they dealt with that pretty fine.

I also don't expect another series like this from Paul George. He was G-League level all through.

I agree they are a bit of a mess tactically but talent alone will get them through Denver easily and should make Lakers series close (Lakers don't play particularly coherent basketball either). Whoever comes out of East should have a good chance of beating whoever comes out of West I think.

R.E.D.

That was on Doc. He probably thought the game was done, or maybe he wanted to give Luka another chance to pull off a miracle :lol:
I didn't say Mavs were great in that run, they just hit the open shots that they were missing before. There's a difference between game 5 and 6 though. In game 5 Clippers won because they were great. In game 6 they weren't great, actually I think they were bad in a lot of the plays, they just won because the Mavs were horrendous.

I agree with you on second part. The only thing is that you have Paul George and when we talk about them we shouldn't say he wasn't even a speed bump. To me it's a problem.

All I'm saying is that what you saw from the Clippers against the Mavs is what you will get from them going forward, which by the way is the way they have played the whole season. There will be no on and off switch going forward, there will be no sudden massive improvement from them, and Doc Rivers won't suddenly coach at high level, all he will do will be making some adjustments and some man management. There will be a lot of great games from them and they will be bad in a lot of games too. We will see how it goes from their opponents and how good of a performance can they put against the Clippers. I just don't know if there's any team that can deal with their depth. They have two advantages against other teams, first is Kawhi who is just ridiculously good at midrange, the only player who is that good in the league is KD, and their other advantage is that they are so deep that they will be able to win some games even when they are bad.

I agree they are a bit of a mess tactically but talent alone will get them through Denver easily and should make Lakers series close (Lakers don't play particularly coherent basketball either). Whoever comes out of East should have a good chance of beating whoever comes out of West I think.
I agree with on that part. I don't see any top top team that is well coached.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
I think a lot of people have counter out or just forgot that the Warriors Dynasty might not be over yet...

They lost the Raptors series because of KD and Klay injury and this season Klay was out and Steph Was hurt.

Klay has had an extended time off to heal, Steph and dray are fully rested, they found some bench options because of this season and I think they are trying to figure out how to add another big piece to this team.

They might keep wiseman which would give them a much needed center OR package the pick and grab a strong somewhere else.

The Warriors potentially are a top 3 team in the west next season and have that know how of what to do in the post season.

I would not count them out just yet.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I disagree, i think the only east team who has a chance against either LA team are the bucks and they won't make it past the heat
I didn't say Mavs were great in that run, they just hit the open shots that they were missing before.
Doc decided to play Lou, Jackson and Harrell together for a prolonged period of time, with kawhi on the bench. That kind of lineup was the washington generals against Doncic, all series long

I agree with you on second part. The only thing is that you have Paul George and when we talk about them we shouldn't say he wasn't even a speed bump. To me it's a problem
George explained what's going on with him. That's not going to change i think

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I think a lot of people have counter out or just forgot that the Warriors Dynasty might not be over yet...

They lost the Raptors series because of KD and Klay injury and this season Klay was out and Steph Was hurt.

Klay has had an extended time off to heal, Steph and dray are fully rested, they found some bench options because of this season and I think they are trying to figure out how to add another big piece to this team.

They might keep wiseman which would give them a much needed center OR package the pick and grab a strong somewhere else.

The Warriors potentially are a top 3 team in the west next season and have that know how of what to do in the post season.

I would not count them out just yet.
I'm the complete of this. I think they're done, they have a poor bench and their main players haven't played in a long long time.

RORY65

I'm the complete of this. I think they're done, they have a poor bench and their main players haven't played in a long long time.
I think them not playing for a long time is a benefit to them though, it means they should be fully over their injuries plus I think after going to 5 straight finals they will probably benefit from having a break. They also have assets, including the 2nd pick plus Minnesota's pick next year and a significant trade exception, if they want to make moves so although the days of them being the favourites are over (the LA teams will be fancied ahead of them next year just in the West) I can see them being contenders again depending on what they do in the off-season (and in fairness you would trust them above most other teams to make smart moves).

Sarni

Bucks really are in trouble. Can’t defend Heat, can’t attack Heat, they already are getting frustrated. Why the hell is Bud again giving significant minutes to Pat Connaughton and Marvin Williams. Shorten your damn rotation to 8 players. I know Giannis and Middleton getting 2 and 3 fouls in first quarter doesn’t help. Middleton is getting murdered on defense.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
I think them not playing for a long time is a benefit to them though, it means they should be fully over their injuries plus I think after going to 5 straight finals they will probably benefit from having a break. They also have assets, including the 2nd pick plus Minnesota's pick next year and a significant trade exception, if they want to make moves so although the days of them being the favourites are over (the LA teams will be fancied ahead of them next year just in the West) I can see them being contenders again depending on what they do in the off-season (and in fairness you would trust them above most other teams to make smart moves).
100%

The rest is a BIG benefit IMO.

5 straight finals takes a toll and now they are fully rested.

They are a real threat next season depending on who they add.

binary bot
First quarter of basketball ive watched in ages. Forgot how tedious the last 2 minutes are

James_42

As a Thunder fan I hope that's the last time we ever see Billy Donovan coach a Thunder game.

Pathetic lineups, and his inability to call timeouts at crucial moments is a joke.

Can't believe he played Adams so much tonight, he was useless.

I expected the Rockets to win the series, but the fact that this series was easily there for the taking makes it so frustrating.

As good as CP3 has been in the clutch this year, I expected more from him in such a crucial game.

That final play before the late foul was just awful execution, expecting Dort to hit the shot for the win was ridiculous.

ZDwyr

Awesome season as an OKC fan really. The team was led superbly by Paul - who had great support in Schroder, SGA and Gallo in particular. Got to see the emergence of Dort and Bazely, both look like they'll be players. Disappointing end but the team fought really well. I'd have expected the Lakers to beat either team anyway.

Now to embrace the tank. Every team in the West will be looking to compete next season. A great chance to get an early pick. Hopefully we can offload CP3 and Schroder for draft compensation. A sign-and-trade with Gallo would be good as well.

ZDwyr

Probably referring to the 3-shot foul at the end of the Bucks/Heat game on...Middleton, I think? Might have been Hero or Dragic that fouled him.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
If Heat-Celtics is the ECF then the champs will come out of the West.

I'd give up a finger for another Lakers-Celtics finals, 10 years after that Game 7 win :drool:

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
So fraud went through the first round.....ohh well, i guess i can wait for another round.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
By the way, how in the world does Paul not take that FT at the end for OKC? That was allowed right or am I missing something?

Sucks, was really rooting for Paul and OKC.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Seen them. Both absolutely pathetic calls

Looks like Bud keeps being a horrible playoff coach though. The bucks defensive scheme is great for the regular season, and it would work spectacularly against some playoff teams, too(the lakers would get murdered by that defence)

But this isn't the regular season, and you're playing the Heat. Taking away the rim and letting them take 40 3s a game is how they beat you. It's how they *want* to beat you. Adjust ffs. Oh and Connaughton has no business playing meaningful minutes in this series. And don't fecking rest your 2 best players in a close game in the 4th in a must-win situation ffs

ZDwyr

By the way, how in the world does Paul not take that FT at the end for OKC? That was allowed right or am I missing something?

Sucks, was really rooting for Paul and OKC.
Gallo is the technical FT shooter in games. He was also 29/29 on FTs in the bubble. So, I can see why he got it but at the same time he was cold and Paul is probably the better option considering the context. Not that it mattered in the end.

Sarni

Bucks are in proper trouble now. They really had the game lost at 113-107 with 19 seconds to go, it was a miracle they somehow pulled it back only for Giannis to stupidly foul Butler on final possession (you CANNOT foul with no time left). Final 5 minutes were quite brutal from Miami, they almost dropped it. It's not over yet but Bucks have to win the next two games. If they go 3-0 or 3-1 down, they won't come back. How can such a great regular season team be so inept in the playoffs.

OKC v Houston final 3 minutes were also quite bad, almost no field goals. Plenty of close games recently have been like that. As I said before, I prefer OKC as a team but Houston will be a more interesting match up for Lakers than OKC would have been. I still expect Lakers to win in 5 or 6 though.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Loved the Rockets win. Love goofy, flawed James Harden, easily one of the most interesting players in the NBA.

Think we’re definitely on for Battle of LA though. Surely the difference in rest will make a huge impact in both series? Can’t see more than 1 or 2 wins for Nuggets/ Rockets.

freeurmind

weak willed
Bucks need a new coach.

Also, Billy Donovan had about 50 chances to draw up a decent final play for OKC and all they got was an awful turnover.

Also, also, Houston has spent the whole year running isos for Harden but all of a sudden in playoff crunch time he's whipping the ball around to people who haven't seen it all year. Austin Rivers is bad at basketball.

ZDwyr

Bucks need a new coach.

Also, Billy Donovan had about 50 chances to draw up a decent final play for OKC and all they got was an awful turnover.

Also, also, Houston has spent the whole year running isos for Harden but all of a sudden in playoff crunch time he's whipping the ball around to people who haven't seen it all year. Austin Rivers is bad at basketball.
Not every team has Lu Dort to guard him.

Loved the Rockets win. Love goofy, flawed James Harden, easily one of the most interesting players in the NBA.

Think we’re definitely on for Battle of LA though. Surely the difference in rest will make a huge impact in both series? Can’t see more than 1 or 2 wins for Nuggets/ Rockets.
Yeah, the lack of rest will be pretty significant. Added to that there might be an emotional letdown for both Denver and Houston so they'll be playing catch-up from the start.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool

Not sure what to make of that.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Not sure if I’m happy or sad OKC lost cause I’m a Laker fan. On the one hand Rockets have no one to guard Davis. James is unguardable anyway no matter who you put on him but their 3 point shooting is a threat. But OKC have big men but talent wise they are lesser than the Rockets.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
OMFG. The ending of Raptors-Celtics was completely nuts. Two ridiculously well executed plays, ending with Toronto somehow winning the game with a three-pointer with 0.5 left on the clock.

It was also hilarious seeing Boston bring out Taco Fall to defend the final play essentially playing the role of a lamppost. Kyle Lowry even laughing about it in his interview afterwards. :lol:

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Incredible ending but I think the Celtics have the Raptors number.

Squeaky Bumtime

Basketball, bloody hell. 0.5 on the clock and he makes it, unbelievable.
Oh and it's such a joy to watch Kawhi play.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
What's the idea behind putting Tacko on Lowry as he is making the inbound pass ?
Obstructing his view as much as possible, and Tacko probably has an insane wingspan too.

Isn’t that uncommon to put a big guy on the player making the inbound pass, I think? Shaq used to do it too quite often.