Moyes: "January not an easy month to purchase in. We have a good squad."

Gladiator

Does anyone still think we have a good squad? When we were on that six game winning streak was anyone thinking our squad wasn't good? Isn't it possible we have a good squad that's underperforming post-Fergie? This seems to be something we really struggle to come to a consensus on. When I was in the newbies I asked a similar question and there seemed to be an even split on whether our squad is really good or not.

I was just curious because I know some of our fans are going to see that "good squad" bit from Moysie's quotes and go apeshit!

Hopefully just reverse psychology. We have to do some business.

Does anyone still think we have a good squad? When we were on that six game winning streak was anyone thinking our squad wasn't good? Isn't it possible we have a good squad that's underperforming post-Fergie? This seems to be something we really struggle to come to a consensus on. When I was in the newbies I asked a similar question and there seemed to be an even split on whether our squad is really good or not.

I was just curious because I know some of our fans are going to see that "good squad" bit from Moysie's quotes and go apeshit!

I've gone apeshit.

I think we have very few threads on similar topic. So, this thread should in fact be split in two.
1) "January is not an easy month to purchase" 2) "we have a good squad"

Again though, we've been without key players for large parts of the season which hasn't helped. For me, we need a couple of midfield players and a left-back. We're destroying Evra by playing him week in, week out at 32.

As for his comments, we will just have to wait and see at the end of the day. We certainly need strengthening whatever he thinks of the window.

Maybe the Glazers have said no to spending? I have no problem criticising Moyes, I've done it plenty, but this might be out of his hands.

The Summer isn't an easy time to purchase for Moyes and Woodward either. What's his point?

When he was openly talking about transfer targets in the summer people were going mental that he was being too open.

Now that he is trying to play down expectations, people are going mental that he is too cautious.

We need a buy to signal intent as much as anything else. Look what Ozil did to Arsenal's confidence and initial form. We're just fans but the players undoubtedly feel some of the hesitation and concern we do. They're not used to being the 'budget' team making do through pure grit.

I think almost everyone out there knows that if we don't sign anyone in this window, we will not be in the CL next year. Maybe that's okay with Moyes and the Glazers, but it's not going to sit well with some of those players.

I think he's right to be positive about the squad - the last thing we need is for them to lose any more confidence!

If I was the Glazers I would have doubts about letting Moyes spend money too.

It's not nearly as bad as the results make it look like. Two central midfielders, a wide player and a left-back should be enough to get us back to an acceptable level. That's four players to sign in this and the next transfer window. Hardly impossible.

But no signings will help us if we persist with this rigid, stale system we're using.

Oh, so now we have a good squad? Didn't he say that we need several word class players or something a few months back?

Maybe the Glazers have said no to spending? I have no problem criticising Moyes, I've done it plenty, but this might be out of his hands.
I doubt the owners are putting a restriction on spending, failing to invest will only damage their business. If he had blown £100m+ last summer it would be understandable.

I cannot believe that some people are taking this quote seriously. It's exactly what I would have expected Moyes to say even if we were planning to spend 100 million this month!

Of course it's a good squad. Only Chelsea and arguably City have better depth than United have, and even those two are debatable. United have the best attacking line-up in the PL in terms of quality and quantity.

I agree with Siorac that a couple of signings will make us improve from good to top class. I fear there is little chance of us going for two central midfielders with the brilliant signing of Fellaini (I will give him more time though), but a new left back and a left winger are vital.

He spent all summer bragging about how United would always be in for world class players, we didn't sign any.

Now he's playing things down, I assume he's learned a lesson or two and is going to be working quietly this time around. I expect us to pick up 1 or 2 players.

The Quote is correct.

January is not an easy month to buy the right players and we have a good squad who last May was parading with the league title.

It probably doesnt mean we are not trying to find a player or two.

I have tried and tried to remain positive, but Moyes really doesn't seem to know what he's doing. :(

This squad won the title last season so it's clearly good enough. Jan is not a good month if you want the really big players so Moyes is right again.

Nothing to see here

Then they are foolish. We might get away with one year out of CL, but if that's the case I don't particularly want to be in the Europa League. If they don't rebuild a big part of this team in the summer, we will be in big trouble. The fees they will have to pay after a world cup and us not being in the CL will make their collective eyes water.

At United a "good squad" would not be sitting in 7th place after half a season unless it's being managed by an inept fool. So what Moyes is basically saying is...

Moyes: "I fancy a pint."

Jesus Christ, why couldn't he be more ambitious & ask for a big feck-off bucket full of champagne? Smalltime.

Would you rather he came out and said "we're a bit rubbish and are desperate for signings"?

Good squad + 7th place = Bad manager!!

Moyesy just can't say anything right can he! He isn't savvy with the media at all unfortunately. He says at one point that we need 5 world class players and that we are too expect 'more blows', then when we have received more 'blows' he says that the squad is good enough.

It may only be bullshit transfer window rhetoric but he is pretty bad at all this.

I find it unlikely that we will sign anyone significant this window. I mean look at Chelsea, they are swinging their cock about already trying to make a signing that will probably win them the league. I can't see a Moyesian/Glazer United acting in the same way.

The recent inflation of the transfer market is actually making City's early business in the summer window look pretty darn good.

Personally I do think that we have a good squad. We need to get Van Persie back into shape and form and Moyes needs to start getting the best, or at least 80% out of the players and we will qualify for the Champions League. I guess the question still remains if Moyes is capable of leading these players to that level of performance.

This squad won the title last season so it's clearly good enough. Jan is not a good month if you want the really big players so Moyes is right again.

Nothing to see here
It was good enough in 2012 no question about that but players have aged and others have strengthened whereas we have stood still.

Results have been shit, the football has been shit and the league position is shit. If Moyes doesn't want to spend or more the club doesn't want to spend whats required then I can only see it going one way, FA Cup and CL results will basically be his life raft and if that pops he better hope we have clawed back a respectable league position or he is fecked.

To be fair, the only team in the league which has a 'great' squad would be City in my opinion.