Moussa Dembele

Rate this guy. We'll just feck up trying to buy an expensive 'dino' so he is a good shout at decent price probably.

He is a good player, young, skillful, but not at the required quality that would improve us. He would fit in well at a club like Everton or Spurs.

Is he the answer to the midfield problem yet?

He probably would add something, in the same way that Valencia and Young have added something.

He put himself in the shop window tonight, probably the best player on the pitch. Ran rings around Carrick and Giggs :(

Meh. He was ok. Produced feck all in the final third.

That's his main problem, he started off as a forward but he can't finish so has been moved further and further back to compensate.

He's basically just a more consistent Anderson, better close control but less range on his passing. He's also not anywhere near as injury prone.

He is a good player, young, skillful, but not at the required quality that would improve us. He would fit in well at a club like Everton or Spurs.

Based on last night, and waht I've seen of him he'd maybe improve options in what we currently have.

He's at least as good a player as a Valencia or an Ashley Young were before coming to United. I think there's a good chance he'd improve again in a better side.

He bossed the game for a period last night, and always looked dangerous when he turned and ran at the defence. Also looks pretty strong. Decent player indeed, although I'd hope we would shoot a bit higher.

That's his main problem, he started off as a forward but he can't finish so has been moved further and further back to compensate.

He's basically just a more consistent Anderson, better close control but less range on his passing. He's also not anywhere near as injury prone.

That's a fair summary.

Can beat a man and runs well with the ball but looks clueless as soon as he gets near the box. Which would explain the frankly pathetic 1 goal and 2 assists he's got so far this season. Even the decrepit Danny Murphy has been more productive for them (2 goals and 5 assists)

Seems like a very pointless player to me. Can't see him being the sort of player Fergie is after.

He does what we'd like to see Anderson do more of (aside from scoring goals obviously) goes past players moving at pace and can play quality passes into the front players.

Last night his passing wasnt as good as it normally is. But it was just one game in a career. He's played others.

Good player, but lacks finishing and made to look even better against our static midfield duo who any half decent midfielder with pace and good close control can get by. Not for us...

Everyone seems to rate him but I don't see much. Can beat a man well but the rest of his game is lacking.

He does what we'd like to see Anderson do more of (aside from scoring goals obviously) goes past players moving at pace and can play quality passes into the front players.

Last night his passing wasnt as good as it normally is. But it was just one game in a career. He's played others.

He's played 28 so far this season. So far just two of all those alleged "quality passes" he can deliver have been assists.

we made him look good, he is no Xavi or Iniesta.

Similar player to Giggs as a central midfielder, possibly even weaker defensively - and absolutely no end product whereas Giggs has got a shedload of assists this season.

Nothing for us. Also, dallies too much on the ball and lacks a bit of passing range and vision.

He's played 28 so far this season. So far just two of all those alleged "quality passes" he can deliver have been assists.

Yes but I'm not talking about directly assisting goals. Its not like Berbatov and Carrick have loads of assists in recent seasons either, you can play quality passes without setting up goals, by nicely and sensibly moving the ball out to wide players. Its something different.

I agree though that he needs to be assisting more as you well know, I very much respect that. He has enough vision to be setting up plenty of goals as well as scoring more often.

Similar player to Giggs as a central midfielder, possibly even weaker defensively - and absolutely no end product whereas Giggs has got a shedload of assists this season.

Nothing for us. Also, dallies too much on the ball and lacks a bit of passing range and vision.

He actually did a real good job tracking back and defending last night which surprised me as I also had a concern about that.

He actually did a real good job tracking back and defending last night which surprised me as I also had a concern about that.

they had 11 behind the ball. he tracked back about 10 yards to make a nice interception once, but you can't track back if you already are back.

That's who he is. He'd be hammered on here for just that if he played for us, and rightfully.

Noods would love him. Pretty much every midfielder that's mentioned on here he calls pointless and says they don't do anything.

they had 11 behind the ball. he tracked back about 10 yards to make a nice interception once, but you can't track back if you already are back.

Yeah, he's been horribly exposed at times when they're supposed to actually attack - for example vs Swansea.

He's no central midfielder, lacks the dicipline, the range, the efficiancy and the speed of thought to be one, and he's horrible defensively. He would be actually murdered on here as part of a midfield two. Heck, even Giggs get criticized on here, and he's got a billion times more of a purpose in CM than Dembele, who basically is an attacker who doesn't produce so is deployed in CM.

People seem to be forgetting that when Valencia was at Wigan in his 3 years at the club he amassed only 7 goals a figure he matched in his first season alone at United. I also find it a little odd as to why his lack of assists are being pulled up as well, how many assists do Scholes & Carrick have this season? Or someone like Modric at Spurs? The majority of our play is down the wide areas or through Rooney so we don't need a goal scoring midfielder ala Frank Lampard in his prime nor do we particularly cry out for a midfielder always looking to play killer through balls what we need is someone who can pass the ball and keep possession in tight spaces and from what I've seen of Dembele this season he can do that (he's hardly ever wastes possession)

I'm not saying Dembele is the answer and we shouldn't be looking at someone like Martinez instead but Dembele would still be a very very astute signing if just to add a bit of real quality in depth if nothing else

People seem to be forgetting that when Valencia was at Wigan in his 3 years at the club he amassed only 7 goals a figure he matched in his first season alone at United. I also find it a little odd as to why his lack of assists are being pulled up as well, how many assists do Scholes & Carrick have this season? Or someone like Modric at Spurs? The majority of our play is down the wide areas or through Rooney so we don't need a goal scoring midfielder ala Frank Lampard in his prime nor do we particularly cry out for a midfielder always looking to play killer through balls what we need is someone who can pass the ball and keep possession in tight spaces and from what I've seen of Dembele this season he can do that (he's hardly ever wastes possession)

I'm not saying Dembele is the answer and we shouldn't be looking at someone like Martinez instead but Dembele would still be a very very astute signing if just to add a bit of real quality in depth if nothing else

But he's not a good central midfielder at all!

We've already got a similar player in Giggs, who produces so infinately much more from a similar position on the pitch, and he's getting slaughtered for a performance in which he created a lot more than Dembele.

Dembele simply lacks the vision, the range, the defensive dicipline and the speed of thought, and that's before we even start to take into account how little he produces in the final third.

We've already got a similar player in Giggs, who produces so infinately much more from a similar position on the pitch, and he's getting slaughtered for a performance in which he created a lot more than Dembele.

Giggs is getting slaughtered because he wasn't as good as Dembele last night. As much as I'm a fan of Carrick neither was he. Not sure how you can say he's not a good midfielder when he was better than both of ours last night

As for the lack of vision, range, discipline and speed of thought lets just say I disagree with you there as well

Does anyone know when was he converted into a midfielder? It would make the assessment of his performances infinitely easier if we all knew it. I somehow still think he used to be a forward last season and it's his first real attempt at becoming a midfielder this term.

Giggs is getting slaughtered because he wasn't as good as Dembele last night. As much as I'm a fan of Carrick neither was he. Not sure how you can say he's not a good midfielder when he was better than both of ours last night

As for the lack of vision, range, discipline and speed of thought lets just say I disagree with you there as well

What excactly did Dembele do well yesterday?

Giggs created two clear-cut chances, for Valencia and Rafael. Dembele had a couple of nice dribbles which ended with him being dispossessed, and on one occasion firing a horrible shot about 20 yards wide. Aside from that, Dembele couldn't prevent us from dominating the match for large parts, despite outnumbering us in central areas. He created nothing, and didn't defend particularly well.

He's flashy to look at though, got a nice touch, a couple of neat turns and can go past people, while he's destroying the rythm of the attack by dallying on the ball. That's okay though, because he isn't giving the ball away, or so I'm told.
I suppose that's enough to earn plaudits while simultaneously doing nothing a decent midfielder should do.

This is a bit of a pet hate for me admittedly, midfielders getting praised when they aren't even carrying out the absolute basics of their job. And in this case, we're not even talking about a midfielder. He's a forward who didn't deliver enough for him to play as an actual forward, so Jol utilizes him in CM. The result shouldn't be too surprising.

I'm genuinely baffled by how much people are impressed by midfielders who can spin a bit around and look good on the ball, while slaughtering our midfielders.

I thought you were saying Dembele was one of the top 10-15 players in the league marjen?

That's a fair summary.

Can beat a man and runs well with the ball but looks clueless as soon as he gets near the box. Which would explain the frankly pathetic 1 goal and 2 assists he's got so far this season. Even the decrepit Danny Murphy has been more productive for them (2 goals and 5 assists)

Seems like a very pointless player to me. Can't see him being the sort of player Fergie is after.

I agree with this post completely. He is a great dribbler who can easily beat his man (just like Nani) but unlike Nani, once he is in a position to cause damage he more often then not takes the wrong option. I think he flatters to deceive.

Does anyone know when was he converted into a midfielder? It would make the assessment of his performances infinitely easier if we all knew it. I somehow still think he used to be a forward last season and it's his first real attempt at becoming a midfielder this term.

This season. He started out well last season as a striker, faded out and got injured long term.

Haven't you been advocating how assists are a meaningless stat that doesn't prove anything really?

There are only 4 player that have more assists than him. Zamora has left. Murphy takes set pieces.

Just look at the game yesterday. Duff and Frei were so easily marked. Progbrenyak was kept quiet. Their team lacked movement. Diarra usually had to pass the ball back after Dembele passed it to him. There wasn't anyone else. The only danger from their game yesterday was through dribbling, not passing. Would be nice to have that type of player in central play. One who can dribble with the ball forward and not lose the ball.

Have not really watched that many Fulham games but, he always looks comfortable on the ball, no doubt about that. But, obvious question marks about other parts of his game especially if he is to be considered a CM at United.

Though a player like him that is able to take on players in the middle of the pitch is something we could do with more of - something I think Anderson does well (when fit).

Well in that case he is doing quite well in that role. Maybe, by gaining more experience, learning how to make that killer pass, and combining it with his superb dribbling ability he will be good enough for top teams.

He would easily excel with us IMO.

Last night the only forward options he had was dempsey in the hole - something we tried to block out, and big pog who was shackled well by evans / ferdy.

When he wanted he he dribbled passed carrick / giggs like they were not even there, only to be stopped by a solid brickwall in evans.

In a better team IMO he would make the step up, his body strength is Berba like - his technique on the ball is very good.

Think at under 10m he would definitely be worth a punt.

Haven't you been advocating how assists are a meaningless stat that doesn't prove anything really?

There are only 4 player that have more assists than him. Zamora has left. Murphy takes set pieces.

Just look at the game yesterday. Duff and Frei were so easily marked. Progbrenyak was kept quiet. Their team lacked movement. Diarra usually had to pass the ball back after Dembele passed it to him. There wasn't anyone else. The only danger from their game yesterday was through dribbling, not passing. Would be nice to have that type of player in central play. One who can dribble with the ball forward and not lose the ball.

Not me. Quite the opposite, in fact.

No point in having players who can dribble with the ball if they don't do anything productive at the end of it.

Have you watched him a lot Pogue? I haven't, but thought he looked promising yesterday, although he came up short in the final move. As previously pointed out a superb passer like Carrick doesn't get a lot of assists, so it's not necessarily that indicative of his passing. Remember Fulham have had shite strikers until they brought Pogbrenyak in. I apologize if I'm wrong, but I get the impression that you judge him by his assists and one game only. That would be very rash.