View full 2015-16 profile

5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I don't know what is the context of your post is but I just wanna add that all I've seen of him seems to indicate his dribbling ability is more flat track bully ala Ronaldo style than Nani. I.e He destroyed the Midgetland full back but if he comes up against someone, who has decent pace, a simple shift, kick and rush won't do most of the times.

Not that there's anything wrong with it but he's got to learn the timings of how to exploit that. Eventually he may become a Ronaldo type i.e more of a forward (which is good because we need consistent goal threats) than a winger.

Either way happy for the lad today. Need more.

All players will struggle to beat good defenders, that's why they are good defenders. What's important to be successful is that when you do find yourself against an opponent that you struggle to beat that you can adapt and change up your strategy and Memphis has all the tools to take his marker out of the equation. As we've seen over the season he can cross, move inside and shoot or link up for example like he did with Marcus yesterday, and nearly had a free scoring opportunity, or hold up play.

If you bothered to read the posts I made after that, I clearly explained what other alternatives he had. People are judging this from the time the ball reaches him. I am pointing out what he could have done from the moment Mata releases the ball. I am not going to go as far as you and suggest that there is a "Clear lack of football understanding", but I am going to say that I tried to be more circumspect.

I read everything before posting so thanks for assuming I didn't.

I read everything before posting so thanks for assuming I didn't.
So you'd rather have seen an insane piece of skill that pushes him slightly forward and wide than do a slightly less technically challenging first touch that takes it beyond the defender and sprinting forward (unless he's brought down!) to get into a genuine chance creating opportunity ? Ok, thanks for clarifying.

What a bunch of nitpickers.

As for trickery in general, it's lame when it's those pointless step overs Ronaldo used to do which 99% of the time fooled noone , and great when it's that cut back he used to do which was a great way to change direction.

Over the last two games Memphis has more often than not been doing the latter - meaningful trickery. It's an invaluable asset from not many players have this in their armory.

So you'd rather have seen an insane piece of skill that pushes him slightly forward and wide than do a slightly less technically challenging first touch that takes it beyond the defender and sprinting forward (unless he's brought down!) to get into a genuine chance creating opportunity ? Ok, thanks for clarifying.

Again you're assuming. Why not just stick to what is written ?

What a bunch of nitpickers.

As for trickery in general, it's lame when it's those pointless step overs Ronaldo used to do which 99% of the time fooled noone , and great when it's that cut back he used to do which was a great way to change direction.

Over the last two games Memphis has more often than not been doing the latter - meaningful trickery. It's an invaluable asset from not many players have this in their armory.
How is this nitpicking ? I admit it was an insane piece of skill. But did it beat a man ? No. Did it result in an opportunity ? No. Did he pass the ball back after that ? Yes.
It just looked like he wanted to try it at a big stage and kudos to him for doing that. And like AN rightly said, that skill was technically more difficult than what he did on Thursday. It's just that the notion that was the only thing he could do in that situation that I disagree with.

I think people look at certain tricks and deem them unnecessary without even looking at the situation the player is in. The control was outstanding and 100% needed in order to keep the ball in the same trajectory of his run. For me it shows a clear lack of football understanding.

Again you're assuming. Why not just stick to what is written ?
So I assumed wrong in thinking that what I posted showed a clear lack of footballing understanding according to you ?

All I've been talking about was from the moment, Mata releases the ball, what Memphis could have done. Unless movement off the ball is not so important nowadays.

How is this nitpicking ? I admit it was an insane piece of skill. But did it beat a man ? No. Did it result in an opportunity ? No. Did he pass the ball back after that ? Yes.
It just looked like he wanted to try it at a big stage and kudos to him for doing that. And like AN rightly said, that skill was technically more difficult than what he did on Thursday. It's just that the notion that was the only thing he could do in that situation that I disagree with.
He could have done a lot of things in that situation. Given the situation of the game, bringing it down comfortably and pushing the ball out wide into space where Bellerin didn't expect it to go and keeping the ball was a pretty good outcome for us. The ball was slightly behind him too. A lot of assuming happening when people start to claim he could have timed his run differently, could have cut inside and beat his man etc etc. Football is played at a high speed and in the moment he took a fantastic touch into space and gave himself time.

@Ijazz17 And you said it was "unnecessary". No skill is necessary really when you think about it. Calling an effective one that brought a pass that in the moment was behind (he didn't set to be ahead of the ball when he made his run/Mata hit his pass if that's what you're claiming) down comfortably and kept it in play and gave himself time on the ball, unecessary, is nit-picking. If it had served zero purpose like some tricks do then I'd agree. In the moment it was quite a good choice.

So I assumed wrong in thinking that what I posted showed a clear lack of footballing understanding according to you ?

All I've been talking about was from the moment, Mata releases the ball, what Memphis could have done. Unless movement off the ball is not so important nowadays.

You know what ? I wanna apologize for being an arse :D. I'm not usually like that.
To be serious I think there are different things he could have done with the ball of course (as you described in details) but I understood the logic meant behind his control and I loved seeing it. I also think it wasn't unnecessary at all. It served a purpose.

He could have done a lot of things in that situation. Given the situation of the game, bringing it down comfortably and pushing the ball out wide into space where Bellerin didn't expect it to go and keeping the ball was a pretty good outcome for us. The ball was slightly behind him too. A lot of assuming happening when people start to claim he could have timed his run differently, could have cut inside and beat his man etc etc. Football is played at a high speed and in the moment he took a fantastic touch into space and gave himself time.
Yeah, totally agree. But when I raised the "unnecessary" comment, AN said his touch ensured a more attacking outcome (Which wasn't the case at all) and that was the only way to deal with that situation. The only point I am trying to make is runs off the ball are just as important too. How often we praise players for those darting late runs into the box, or how their movement shakes off a defender etc. It is clearly an important aspect of the game as well. I just wanted to highlight other alternatives which could have ensured an even more threatening goal scoring opportunity. Hence my use of the word unnecessary.

@Ijazz17 And you said it was "unnecessary". No skill is necessary really when you think about it. Calling an effective one that brought a pass that in the moment was behind (he didn't set to be ahead of the ball when he made his run/Mata hit his pass if that's what you're claiming) down comfortably and kept it in play and gave himself time on the ball, unecessary, is nit-picking. If it had served zero purpose like some tricks do then I'd agree. In the moment it was quite a good choice.
Ok, maybe it is a little nit-picking, I admit. But it didn't exactly serve a purpose either. If he had stalled and just brought it under his control like any normal situation or done that, the outcome would have been the same is it not ? Bellerin was still tight to him at the end of the skill if I am not mistaken, forcing him back. But it was still a spectacular sight to watch (And that photo someone posted is absolutely insane, it's going to be my walllpaper for sure)

Last edited:
Yeah, totally agree. But when I raised the "unnecessary" comment, AN said his touch ensured a more attacking outcome (Which wasn't the case at all) and that was the only way to deal with that situation. The only point I am trying to make is runs off the ball are just as important too. How often we praise players for those darting late runs into the box, or how their movement shakes off a defender etc. It is clearly an important aspect of the game as well. I just wanted to highlight other alternatives which could have ensured an even more threatening goal scoring opportunity. Hence my use of the word unnecessary.
Ah, right. In that case we mostly agree. You can ignore my next post!

You know what ? I wanna apologize for being an arse :D. I'm not usually like that.
To be serious I think there are different things he could have done with the ball of course (as you described in details) but I understood the logic meant behind his control and I loved seeing it. I also think it wasn't unnecessary at all. It served a purpose.
Fair enough. And for what it's worth, I loved seeing it too :D

It also seems that the pressure is off for him. He is not playing more freely and producing those tricks and flicks Ronnie used to when he used to play freely. Do not want him to compare him with Ronnie, although Memphis might turn out to be equally important attacker for us

I'd say the opposite. He seems freer and more confident, but he's one of the most experienced players in our attack these past couple of days so there would be even more pressure on him to raise his game. Not really sure what to make of that.

How can people say anything negative about that skill! Football is entertainment and skilful players will always be the most entertaining in my book so long as they can do it consistently and in meaningful ways. Did Memphis need to control the ball in that way? No, but I'm sure as hell glad he did because it's one of the best pieces of skills I've ever seen and highlights yet again just how good this kid could be.

This reminds me of the time when people were giving Lamela grief for scoring a ridiculous goal in the EL because he could have done it the normal way. As long as the skill comes off, players should be applauded for their inventiveness.

It wasn't just trickery for the sake of trickery either. It was a high ball. If he controls that on his chest, he has to stop and break stride. He's flicked that in to his own path whilst barely breaking the momentum of his run. Perhaps if it was any other full back, Memphis could have killed it with his chest, but Bellerin is lightning and he'd have recovered. He's used the heel flick to his advantage and continues his run to get a run on the full back.

Glad to see Memphis is full of beans again. Those writing him off, saying he should never play for the club again were way too OTT. His performances deserved criticism, but not to the point of just giving up on him completely.

Are you not entertained? No pleasing some people, you guys just want to watch boring football?

Thought he had a fantastic game in all honesty, but not in the same breathtaking way as against Mjytlland.

Held the ball up really well, caused Bellerin problems throughout, made good decisions in possession and worked hard to get the ball back.

Finally looking like a proper United player this past week or so.

Ran rashford close as MOTM today

Amazing what a little confidence and better attitude does.

He kept bellerin in his pocket today.

He was excellent today. He tracked back on almost every Arsenal attack. A very very mature display. I wish that Rashford combo worked though. That goal would have been special.

Very good performance. Completely neutralized Bellerin on the left and even though he was never going to do to Bellerin what he did to Roemer, he was always dangerous with the ball and very positive in his attacking play. Did very well defensively and held the ball up brilliantly.
seems to be a lot of praise for his "defensive showing." But tell me, is the combination of his defensive and offensive offering good enough to keep Ashley Young out of the side I wonder?

seems to be a lot of praise for his "defensive showing." But tell me, is the combination of his defensive and offensive offering good enough to keep Ashley Young out of the side I wonder?
Maybe not for now, but if you look at the potential he has, it might be worth it to play him in the long run, but that's based on his current form. If he plays like he did a few months ago, Young has to be the clear starter.

Great performance but about the skill: I often do something like that in the park. It looks brilliant but I'm surprised a lot of professional players don't do it. Volleys are another thing. Everyone talks about how difficult volley's are yet I've always found them so easy.
Woody sign this fcuker up
clear.png

Maybe not for now, but if you look at the potential he has, it might be worth it to play him in the long run, but that's based on his current form. If he plays like he did a few months ago, Young has to be the clear starter.
I can fully appreciate your thinking. Ashley young has a ceiling. We have seen it. As far as premiership wingers go, its not outstanding. Memphis MAY have more potential, but then he may not. Difficult to gauge. I guess its a toss up. Ashley Young based on last seasons form? Or give Memphis the opportunity to see show us how much he can improve?

If we still think that Ashley Young is the way forward then boy are we in shit

Very mature performance, something which I have not seen in him until recently. Looks like he is working hard and will get better. Happy to have him keep his place

Brilliant to see him follow-up his display against Midtjylland with another good performance against Arsenal.

He seems to have realised that hard work is crucial to success in the Premier League. There was one moment in the later stages where he waves his arms around imploring Januzaj to get back quicker. I thought I was seeing things!

Memphis, Rashford, Lingard and Martial have the potential to become an incredible quartet.

Totally forgot about young to be honest. It's going to be along time before he makes his way back into training anyway, but once he does return, I still think Memphis will keep his place (Provided his resurgence continues). But I am more worried of what will happen when both Martial and Rooney return.

The quicker we move on from Young (as an attacker), the better.

Really hope that what we are currently seeing is the turning point of his career in Manchester United. The lad obviously has it, it's just the matter of getting the attitude set. Really wish that he'll get his confidence up and high and finish the season in great form.

People assuming young is a winger in this United team have no understanding of tactics.

Up until this week we didn't even have a striker who looked like he could head a goal in and people are wondering if we should be playing Ashley Young? Come on. He is a wing back for all the reasons he is a winger and he is so far away from being a forward.

Imagine calling a piece of skill "unncecessary" - you want to be entertained, then a player does that, and all you can say is that it was unnecessary, like seriously, ask yourself if football is for you. :lol:

Think how disgusting our front four could be if they all reach their potential; Martial, Rashford, Januzaj and Memphis, that'd be grim for opposition defences.

It's fair to say bellerin is one of the best fullbacks in the league but because Memphis was showing great movement and attacking intent all game it completely neutralised any sort of attacking threat from bellerin.

If you're going on work rate then Ashley Young still has the upper hand in that but tbh going forward (if he continues) then Memphis gets the better of him now.

Luke shaw can't come back fast enough they could have a great partnership on the left side.

Showing the performance he did yesterday shows flexibility in his game. Against FC he was running the show attacking the full back none stop as he will probably be able to replicate against lesser full backs in our league. Against the Arse he showed maturity and the willingness to be a leader against the best RB in the league (arguably) where he came out on top and he became a calming influence in the frantic times Arsenal were trying to push us and defensively, well it's already been said how fantastic it was in this thread. These last two performances were special in two very different ways, has a lot more to him than any of us gave him credit for, even his biggest supporters. Long may this continue.

This reminds me of the time when people were giving Lamela grief for scoring a ridiculous goal in the EL because he could have done it the normal way. As long as the skill comes off, players should be applauded for their inventiveness.
It's a weird argument to be having, who cares how else he could have brought it down, the way he did was :drool:

If we're talking Young, stick him on the right ahead of Lingard. Has the defensive work rate but can beat his man often.

People assuming young is a winger in this United team have no understanding of tactics.

Up until this week we didn't even have a striker who looked like he could head a goal in and people are wondering if we should be playing Ashley Young? Come on. He is a wing back for all the reasons he is a winger and he is so far away from being a forward.
Ashley youngs best games under Van Gaal have been on the wing. He has also performed to a higher level than Memphis in the premier league, whilst playing on the wing. He has been often asked to fill in or cover at wing back when other players are injured. We don't play with wing backs

It's fair to say bellerin is one of the best fullbacks in the league but because Memphis was showing great movement and attacking intent all game it completely neutralised any sort of attacking threat from bellerin.

If you're going on work rate then Ashley Young still has the upper hand in that but tbh going forward (if he continues) then Memphis gets the better of him now.

Luke shaw can't come back fast enough they could have a great partnership on the left side.
I'm not convinced by the bolded part. For me Memphis is still unproven in England. He needs to be a consistent threat for him to justify that claim. Young consistently causes his fullback problems. he has games when his crossing his awful and he isn't a goal threat but he does the basic winger stuff consistently. Beat man. get to the by-line. Fling crosses in

I'm not convinced by the bolded part. For me Memphis is still unproven in England. He needs to be a consistent threat for him to justify that claim. Young consistently causes his fullback problems. he has games when his crossing his awful and he isn't a goal threat but he does the basic winger stuff consistently. Beat man. get to the by-line. Fling crosses in

Last 2 games memphis has done that, that's why I said if he continues with this mentality and attitude he seems to have adapted now he will become one of the best wingers in the league. Whether he can continue we can only wait and see.

Imagine calling a piece of skill "unncecessary" - you want to be entertained, then a player does that, and all you can say is that it was unnecessary, like seriously, ask yourself if football is for you. :lol:

Innit.

Anyway, for some players the skill is natural, in that it's not a conscious decision to 'do a bit of skill here', and something more ordinary would require a conscious choice to reign themselves in. Better to let them do their thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.