View full 2015-16 profile

5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
He's a less productive, less skilled, less talented and less consistent version of Nani.

Created two superb chances, place goes silent.

I don't really understand what do you expect? People to jump here and chip in with a comment such as 'finally found his level' so you can get annoyed?

I do agree with people saying that he looks best 'down the middle', preferably at #9 where he's absolved of any defensive duties and he can be lazy himself but as somebody has already pointed out being a #9 is much more than having good timing for you runs. Out of four our attackers yesterday both Lingard and Mata were better, Martial was probably the only guy that Memphis played better than.

He's a less productive, less skilled, less talented and less consistent version of Nani.

Christ, it takes some doing to be less consistent that Nani.
But I agree that he has managed it, he's played decent in about 3-4 games this season.

But I agree that he has managed it, he's played decent in about 3-4 games this season.

In actual fact, he's a less consistent version of Ashley Young. But mentioning Nani gives us all hope that we haven't wasted another 25m down the drain.

I don't really understand what do you expect? People to jump here and chip in with a comment such as 'finally found his level' so you can get annoyed?

I do agree with people saying that he looks best 'down the middle', preferably at #9 where he's absolved of any defensive duties and he can be lazy himself but as somebody has already pointed out being a #9 is much more than having good timing for you runs. Out of four our attackers yesterday both Lingard and Mata were better, Martial was probably the only guy that Memphis played better than.
What do I expect? Perhaps that instead of incessantly attacking our player after any minute mistake to offer him a little support or praise when it's deserved. Do you not see the ridiculousness of this in a United forum? However poor I might find some of our players I want them all to do well. There are so many here that would actually prefer to say 'i told you so' than be proved wrong and the lad succeed.

Since when do we judge a player consistency on 6 months of football?

Why do people keep bashing Nani all the time? Depay would do very, very well to contribute to our success as much as Nani did. Only remembering Nani's inconsistency is extremely unfair.

What do I expect? Perhaps that instead of incessantly attacking our player after any minute mistake to offer him a little support or praise when it's deserved. Do you not see the ridiculousness of this in a United forum? However poor I might find some of our players I want them all to do well. There are so many here that would actually prefer to say 'i told you so' than be proved wrong and the lad succeed.
Only for players you like though. You have no problem calling Carrick a liability. The hypocrisy of some of you is ridiculous.

TBF hes been consistently shit!
Hope he comes good though, he certainly has talent

Yeah but is it really difficult to just say that he has been shit and stop there. I see this type of comments too often a lot of posters seem to think that 6 bad months are redhibitory, as if football players/managers weren't able to bounce back or improve. They follow the "test it 6 months and throw it away" philosophy.

Only for players you like though. You have no problem calling Carrick a liability. The hypocrisy of some of you is ridiculous.
And I'll also praise him when he does well, you seem incapable of understanding the difference. Still got me off pretend ignore I see?

And I'll also praise him when he does well, you seem incapable of understanding the difference. Still got me off pretend ignore I see?
He will be praised when he earns it. In much the same way people aren't frothing at Mata's better performance last week it's the same here. There's a clear hypocrisy in your position on how people should comment on Depay and how you do on players you don't rate. In the case of Carrick, one who's acheived much more than Depay.

He will be praised when he earns it. In much the same way people aren't frothing at Mata's better performance last week it's the same here. There's a clear hypocrisy in your position on how people should comment on Depay and how you do on players you don't rate. In the case of Carrick, one who's acheived much more than Depay.
You can say it all you like it doesn't make it true, be prepared to praise if you are so quick to criticise that's all. Aaaaannnddd Ignore!

Yes and no.

One thing about Nani was that he never gave up. It's why even on his bad days, you could count on him to create a couple of VERY good chances every single match. Whether it was a fantastic cross, a great through-ball, or something else, you always knew that he could (and would) create goal scoring opportunities.

You can say it all you like it doesn't make it true, be prepared to praise if you are so quick to criticise that's all. Aaaaannnddd Ignore!
Take your own advice if you want to get atop a high horse.

TBF hes been consistently shit!
Hope he comes good though, he certainly has talent

I really hope he has talent, but I fail to see what that talent is from the spell he has had at United. He isn't fast being a winger, nor is he a good finisher. His shots are all over the place and his dribbling is erratic at best. He is one dimensional and his passing is average. From what he has shown at United, I fail to see there is a big talent there. Normally, even when players play like crap, you would, during the course of a season, be able to spot where the true talent lies. I just don't see it. I think he may become a good player, but he doesn't have many stand out attributes that make him a great talent for me. Jordan Ibe looks a greater talent from what I have seen, and he doesn't look great.

Why do people keep bashing Nani all the time? Depay would do very, very well to contribute to our success as much as Nani did. Only remembering Nani's inconsistency is extremely unfair.

This..

I'd take Nani over this kid any day of the week. Depay is clearly more obsessed with his image than his football career.

I really hope he has talent, but I fail to see what that talent is from the spell he has had at United. He isn't fast being a winger, nor is he a good finisher. His shots are all over the place and his dribbling is erratic at best. He is one dimensional and his passing is average. From what he has shown at United, I fail to see there is a big talent there. Normally, even when players play like crap, you would, during the course of a season, be able to spot where the true talent lies. I just don't see it. I think he may become a good player, but he doesn't have many stand out attributes that make him a great talent for me. Jordan Ibe looks a greater talent from what I have seen, and he doesn't look great.

You're basing most of that watching him whilst off form, not the best to see someones talents, which he does have. Hopefully he can display it for us

I think it's clear he lost some intrinsic motivation and focus. Got his big money transfer to one of the largest clubs in the world and feels that he made it. It's not that much of a big deal but sooner or later he needs to get that hunger back.

I hear you say it, but what are his talents? He has hardly shown anything but average.
Fantastic off the ball movement, great physical attributes, and very good creative passing vision. He has the "picture" you can see that, but for some reason his ball striking technique is letting him down in passing/shooting recently.

He's obviously found England harder than he expected, but he is clearly very talented and I think this run of games will do him the world of good.

Remember the wide spread praise and universal acclaim Van Gaal got when he tried out Depay in the middle? Yeah, me neither.
Probably because he played much better in the middle, LVG said he was better in the middle, and then played him wide again the next game. So the 'wide spread praise and universal acclaim' was lost amongst the failure to understand the feckwittery of playing a player in a position you've acknowledged doesn't work as well.

One hopes Memphis can adapt to a new position because Martial is better than him on the left, and it is Martial's best position so there is no reason to move him.

Well when it all comes together for him, he can be a good dribbler (has shown it a decent amount of times here, getting past players pretty easily. Some games though he can't get past a thing). He has good pace, though again, until recently, he has looked slow and heavy for whatever reason. At PSV he was an excellent finisher and has a good shot from range along with excellent set pieces, but all those things go to shit when you are low on confidence like he has been. He also has good off the ball movement to get into those chances. He's shown he is capable of playing some nice passes as well as having a very good cross on him, but our forward movement is awful under Van Gaal so it's not surprising that he's struggling like everyone else is from our attack. He'll never be a Hazard/Sanchez type player I think where he's a really tricky player, but he is capable of being a very effective wide forward IMO, making the runs in behind and getting plenty of goals. He has the physical attributes, it just all needs to come together for him and for him to get his confidence back. Just needs time.

He I'll probably be one of our better players next season. Football is like that.
I'm certain that being a United player has gone to his head this year. I reckon he'll be back next season, trimmer, faster and head screwed on right. If so, we'll have a cracking player on our hands.

One hopes Memphis can adapt to a new position because Martial is better than him on the left, and it is Martial's best position so there is no reason to move him.

That's too much commonsense, cafe won't take too kindly to it, its still bashing Memphis day. They'll come around someday.

I think it's clear he lost some intrinsic motivation and focus. Got his big money transfer to one of the largest clubs in the world and feels that he made it. It's not that much of a big deal but sooner or later he needs to get that hunger back.

He just lost confidence.

I can excuse a player for being inconsistent, mainly when he's this young. He can not be up to standards because of his age and a new league. He may be shot of confidence and not do anything spectacular, that's ok for me. But when I see these things, the least I expect is for that player to bust a gut and give 110%. Chase down lost causes, be first to the tackle, track back, hassle the opposition players and make life difficult for them. The things that show that the player still gives a shit an is giving 110% to every game. I don't see any of this from Depay.

A poor player. Simple. We need to accept it and be prepared to take a hit on the stupid money. He will be average at BEST in the Premier, because that's his potential. Do you think Memphis Depay would improve any team in the Premiership?

I think they guy lives in his own world. Sad thing is, he represents where United are right now. Average at best, wasteful, and showing no clear direction in terms of how things are going to improve. Change is needed. All of these statements apply to Depay.

As others have said, he's looked good of late. Just needs to get his goal-scoring mojo back soon to really recover his confidence. When you've scored 30+ goals a season, a complete lack of goals, particularly in the league the following season, can drain you.

I can excuse a player for being inconsistent, mainly when he's this young. He can not be up to standards because of his age and a new league. He may be shot of confidence and not do anything spectacular, that's ok for me. But when I see these things, the least I expect is for that player to bust a gut and give 110%. Chase down lost causes, be first to the tackle, track back, hassle the opposition players and make life difficult for them. The things that show that the player still gives a shit an is giving 110% to every game. I don't see any of this from Depay.

I understand but I disagree, if I was a coach, Memphis and Martial would be exempt of madmen tracking back, I would only give them the 6 seconds rule. As a manager I would like to preserve their energy and lucidity because these are the players that I want to see leading every attacks. And to be fair I hate our defensive system, our attackers have as much defensive work than our defensive players and we ask them to be decisive even deep in our territory.

I understand but I disagree, if I was a coach, Memphis and Martial would be exempt of madmen tracking back, I would only give them the 6 seconds rule. As a manager I would like to preserve their energy and lucidity because these are the players that I want to see leading every attacks. And to be fair I hate our defensive system, our attackers have as much defensive work than our defensive players and we ask them to be decisive even deep in our territory.

To be fair even a young Ronaldo and Messi would do their fair share of tracking back. Martial does it too and doesn't seem too fussed by it.

It teaches them work ethic and forces them to earn the right to escape being burdened by defensive duties.

I don't think Depay has earned the right to be given total freedom to attack without any defensive responsibilities.. that said he has been that awful at tracking back, it is probably best to either stick him up front or give him licence to attack in the hope we can get some use out of him. It isn't ideal though usually to give youngsters complete attacking freedom as it can make them arrogant and disrupt the shape of the team off the ball.

A poor player. Simple. We need to accept it and be prepared to take a hit on the stupid money. He will be average at BEST in the Premier, because that's his potential. Do you think Memphis Depay would improve any team in the Premiership?

I think they guy lives in his own world. Sad thing is, he represents where United are right now. Average at best, wasteful, and showing no clear direction in terms of how things are going to improve. Change is needed. All of these statements apply to Depay.
You going to give up on a young player after a poor first season? I think you are very wrong with this.

No, I agree that some players should save their energy for attack (e.g. Ronaldo, Zlatan, Messi etc) but Depay hasn't done anything to warrant that. But that's also not the point I was making. Even if he is given the freedom to roam and things aren't working out, then there's other way to help the team, and that's by being a nuisance on the pitch against the opposition. Depay isn't doing anything on the pitch that is worthwhile in terms of attack or defence. He doesnt even look like he's trying and that's my issue with him.

To be fair even a young Ronaldo and Messi would do their fair share of tracking back. Martial does it too and doesn't seem too fussed by it.

It teaches them work ethic and forces them to earn the right to escape being burdened by defensive duties.

I don't think Depay has earned the right to be given total freedom to attack without any defensive responsibilities.. that said he has been that awful at tracking back, it is probably best to either stick him up front or give him licence to attack in the hope we can get some use out of him. It isn't ideal though usually to give youngsters complete attacking freedom as it can make them arrogant and disrupt the shape of the team off the ball.

It has nothing to do with freedom or earning it, I said that they would have to respect the 6s rule, which means that they will have to press like madmen for 6s during that time their defensive teammates will transition to a defensive organization.

"I have really had to change my game because in the Eredivisie I could do what I wanted as I had time on the ball, I played on feelings. Here [Premier League] there is direct pressure so it's hard.

"This has affected my game a little bit - everyone can see I'm not scoring every game like I used to but I can feel it getting better and, as I get to know the league more, I feel better and my confidence is growing again."

He also said that he hasn't justified his fee. At least he knows how and why he is failing.

No, I agree that some players should save their energy for attack (e.g. Ronaldo, Zlatan, Messi etc) but Depay hasn't done anything to warrant that. But that's also not the point I was making. Even if he is given the freedom to roam and things aren't working out, then there's other way to help the team, and that's by being a nuisance on the pitch against the opposition. Depay isn't doing anything on the pitch that is worthwhile in terms of attack or defence. He doesnt even look like he's trying and that's my issue with him.

To make it perfectly clear, no individual can earn the right to be exempted of defensive duties, I just said that in my collective organization they wouldn't have to do a lot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.