View full 2015-16 profile

5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just give your own players credit where it's deserved, why are you a supporter if all you do is slagging everything and everyone off, it baffles me.
I don't. I'll give an opinion on a player. Have you ever criticised a player? He's done some good things nights tonight and some fairly awful things. Against League One opposition. If he can do it at the level required then I'll be as pleased as anyone.

He has been poor for 95% of this season and I understand the negativity towards Memphis based on his performances. That said I feel that many posters on here want him to fail and will take great delight in the day when he leaves our club.

I hope that he can put this season behind him and start afresh next season with a point to prove. He no doubt needs a further tweak in attitude but lets hope his failings this season will have brought him back down to earth a bit. It's understandable that his ego would have been boosted given how he performed at PSV last year and how he was thought of by their fans. He has shown brief glimpses that he will be a very good player and I hope he can prove to be one for us in the future. I hate the hate that is aimed at some players on here at times and the group mentality lynching against some players.

Like I said, I can understand the frustration towards him for the most part but don't understand the 'I told you so' attitude and personal glee that some people take from predicting that he would fail. But some people seem to put their own predictions of failure ahead of wanting to see a player actually succeed for our team. He's become a player that has his back jumped on when he F's up but if he does something good no good words can be said.

I thought he did well tonight. Hopefully he can take some confidence from it and improve his performances against better teams. He's been largely shit for us, but there's a good player in there. Somewhere.

Thought he was really good tonight, There was a period after Keane went off that he played almost as a false 9, picking the ball up play making and roaming all over the pitch.

His passing was crisp and accurate, I really do like him. Gutted he didn't score his goal at the end, should have lifted it.

I still have good faith in him, looked strong and quick again tonight too.

The more I watch him the more I think he's got more chance of making it here as a striker than wide man, his control when trying to run with the ball is very erratic and he lacks agility, but his power and willingness to take on a shot would serve the #9 role well.

Last edited:
He is improving, I hope he can gain confidence and form to help us in the league. With Memphis and Martial we have covered the left wing with talented players. I hope we can sign a good RW in the summer like Mahrez/Sane instead of Felipe Anderson/Mane.

He'll be a more productive Nani. A less spectacular Ronnie. Hopefully closer to the latter.

Mixed bag for him tonight. Created 4 chances which was decent but Mata created 8 and Pereira 2 in 30 minutes which highlighted how poor the opposition was. 9 shots at goal with only 2 on target, neither of which seriously worked the keeper was criminal though. Ronaldo would get slated if he produced that against Barca let alone relegation fodder from League One

Mixed bag for him tonight. Created 4 chances which was decent but Mata created 8 and Pereira 2 in 30 minutes which highlighted how poor the opposition was. 9 shots at goal with only 2 on target, neither of which seriously worked the keeper was criminal though. Ronaldo would get slated if he produced that against Barca let alone relegation fodder from League One

Then again C.Ronaldo is looked as one of the greatest players ever.

I think crucially he created 2 1-on-1 chances, produced a chance for Keane who hit the post and would've been on the scoresheet but for Martials head. The quality of what he created was excellent, his own finishing was lacking though.

If anything I hope it boosts his form and confidence a little. Not much to be gained from such opposition besides that.

Good to see him getting involved in a game, hopefully this full 90 minutes and an easy win gives him back some much-needed confidence. He's clearly shaken by recent performances, some of his shots today were so hurried and snatched that he was missing the target by miles. In fact, that was pretty much all the Shrewsbury fans had to cheer. I think he had something like 10 shots but only got one or two on target? Anyway, it's a start, here's hoping he continues to get stuck in.

I think crucially he created 2 1-on-1 chances, produced a chance for Keane who hit the post and would've been on the scoresheet but for Martials head. The quality of what he created was excellent, his own finishing was lacking though.

I don't think you can give him points for hitting a free kick into his own decoy. He was playing against a third tier side. Granted it will good for his confidence but I would prefer to see Martial in his best position, maybe even put Depay through the centre.

He is so much better when he plays down the middle.

I still can't understand why he hasn't been played as the main striker more often, he is a good finisher, and when he plays on the left he is just too easy to read for the defenders as all he wants to do is cut in and shoot.

Martial on the left, Depay up front, Lingard on the right, and Mata in behind.

I still can't understand why he hasn't been played as the main striker more often, he is a good finisher, and when he plays on the left he is just too easy to read for the defenders as all he wants to do is cut in and shoot.

Martial on the left, Depay up front, Lingard on the right, and Mata in behind.

Was thinking the same. I remember him playing centrally earlier in the season, did it go really badly or something?

He just doesn't look like a winger really. A wide forward in a 4-3-3 maybe, coming off the left, but it's more his movement off the ball rather then running with it. Looks like a potentially excellent player when more central though. He has the frame for it, and knows how to open up space for a shot at goal and has very good movement (even if his shooting was way off). Definitely a good performance though, as was his last one. His pace has obviously come back as well, after he looked slow for a couple of months at the start for some reason.

Obviously it was only against a shit team and it wasn't a great game or anything, but there's definitely a lot of potential in there.

Just like Nani, he is excellent when playing one touch football around the box. The flicks and layoffs were delightful. The constant long range punters were nauseous.

He's one of those players that seemingly has bags of potential but tends to get reckless with his execution. A rash player so to speak. It's the difference between being a Ronaldo or a Quaresma. I think he can have a huge future here but his mental strength needs serious work.

Remember the wide spread praise and universal acclaim Van Gaal got when he tried out Depay in the middle? Yeah, me neither.

As a #10, a position he's never played before, yeah I didn't think he'd get any acclaim either. Would like to see him played as a striker. Martial hasn't been great upfront and should be put back on the wing where he's been playing excellent.

I do remember 2 games in which he did play in strike, on 1 occasion he was upfront with Martial in a 352 formation and both played very well together and the other time it was against Watford I believe where he scored.
#10 - No, #9 - Yes

He is improving game by game, still needs to add some variety to his game, too predictable with his cutting in all the time.

He isn't a number 9 by a long shot, he is just better there than out wide. He doesn't have the opportunity to indulge in his favourite pastime of cutting inside and shooting at every half chance he gets. He does link up round the box well with neat one touch passing in fairness. I am not a fan of him as a 9 long term but we don't have many options right now and we need Martial in his best position.

He's been doing well for a while now when he's come on, the Chelsea game set him back in supporters minds by 5/6 months but he's noticeably better and looks dangerous when he plays.

He is so much better when he plays down the middle.

Didn't see the game but I agree completely. It makes sense why LVG originally wanted him to play #10. I think he would have done well (atleast better) from an attacking point of view if could also have provided work rate and physicality to win the midfield battle.

As a #10, a position he's never played before, yeah I didn't think he'd get any acclaim either. Would like to see him played as a striker. Martial hasn't been great upfront and should be put back on the wing where he's been playing excellent.

I do remember 2 games in which he did play in strike, on 1 occasion he was upfront with Martial in a 352 formation and both played very well together and the other time it was against Watford I believe where he scored.
#10 - No, #9 - Yes

He's not a #9. Will never be one. There's a lot more to being a #9 than having good movement. Even against Watford he never played as an actual #9 and spent time loads of time dropping deeper.

Should never have played out wide in any case.

He worked really hard and wasn't being affected with poor shooting, kept on trying and IMO was one of our best players yesterday.

Still looks robbed of confidence which leads to some errors, but it's nothing that can't be improved with time (or dare I say different manager).

He still seems lazy to me, if he checks back and lays it inside; he never burst forward. Just starts walking. Should really be able to put the burners on against a league 1 side. Also is it me, or does he look overweight?

Status
Not open for further replies.