View full 2015-16 profile

5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, much in the same way as I wouldn't call Smalling pathetic for missing a one on one, you've completely exaggerated an error that most players playing in his position would've made anyway.
Because kicking the ball out of play is as difficult as scoring a goal? Don't be ridiculous.

He's a winger. It's part of the job description. If he wants to be excused defensive responsibilities then he'll need to do a lot better when he's attacking.

He's a forward, he needs to play as part of a front three or not at all. He's a good player, let him play.

He's a forward, he needs to play as part of a front three or not at all. He's a good player, let him play.
He's a winger. That's where he's being played. That involves defending. He doesn't do anywhere near enough while attacking to justify his complete lack of work ethic going back.

Why are so many making it out as if he never runs back, he was back every time we were defending and he did make a tackle. Yes he's not the best defensively but he's a Winger ffs

Why are so many making it out as if he never runs back, he was back every time we were defending and he did make a tackle. Yes he's not the best defensively but he's a Winger ffs

Look at the third goal about from a minute earlier. He does not track back and lets Janmaat cause a 3 vs 2 against Darmian and covering CM. As a result Darmian is all over the place and a cross comes in and play develops further resulting in the goal. The problem was he got lazy and took the easy option of a token gesture of pressing their central defender and stayed upfield in no mans land instead of tracking his man. In the final minutes protecting a slender lead, having been on for 30 or so minutes, imo that defending was criminal.

I actually saw that in real time and was thinking this is going to feck us.

Memphis can be or is a fine player but lack balls. Watching him play in the prem is frustrating, not sure whether he thinks he deserves more protection or avoiding an injury. Not saying he should go do a Jones but he has to stop trying to cheat the play.
His tendency to duck out of challenges by dangling his leg halfway before withdrawing is annoying and affecting his all round performance.
Like his attacking displays lately though and a positive development for a player that's been struggling with form, hopefully he keeps it up as expected.

He's a winger. That's where he's being played. That involves defending. He doesn't do anywhere near enough while attacking to justify his complete lack of work ethic going back.
Make your mind up, you were applauding his work getting back a few posts ago.

He drifts infield far too often too hoping to get a pass so he can get his 30 yard shot on goal.

He has to be positionally disciplined and defend from the front because only when you are as good as Messi, Ronaldo or David Silva can you be so slack.

Memphis is along way from that level. He has talent that is obvious but he needs to be more of a team player.

Looked good again. His defensive game is not really a priority right now so I'm not too bothered.

I'd still limit him to sub appearances for now though

He is improving and is starting to make contributions, a good option to have off the bench for now though.

Make your mind up, you were applauding his work getting back a few posts ago.
I said it made a refreshing change to see him actually attempt to get back into a defensive position. My mind has been firm in him being both reluctant to defend and shite when he actually bothers.

Does hit shot for Rooneys goal count as an assist?

Fellaini should of buried that cross. Considering Rooney has to start, I'd like to see Memphis given a run on the left, Lingard on the right and Rooney in behind.

I said it made a refreshing change to see him actually attempt to get back into a defensive position. My mind has been firm in him being both reluctant to defend and shite when he actually bothers.
Clearly, you originally didn't bother to acknowledge how well he did going forward, concentrating on the defensive aspect of an attacking player instead.

Clearly, you originally didn't bother to acknowledge how well he did going forward, concentrating on the defensive aspect of an attacking player instead.
He was okay going forward. One good move and one shit shot that rebounded to Rooney. Defence is part of his job and his failure to do it cost us a goal in the last minute.

He was okay going forward. One good move and one shit shot that rebounded to Rooney. Defence is part of his job and his failure to do it cost us a goal in the last minute.
So you down play his involvement in the goal but highlight his part in the one we conceded? His shot led directly to the goal and a cross that should've lead to another, his challenge was proceeded by two failed clearances, a deflection and failure to charge down a cross properly before they scored! Your bias is showing a little here...

So you down play his involvement in the goal but highlight his part in the one we conceded? His shot led directly to the goal and a cross that should've lead to another, his challenge was proceeded by two failed clearances, a deflection and failure to charge down a cross properly before they scored! Your bias is showing a little here...
Now the goal is because of Depay's failure, credit to you for holding on so long..

Look at the third goal about from a minute earlier. He does not track back and lets Janmaat cause a 3 vs 2 against Darmian and covering CM. As a result Darmian is all over the place and a cross comes in and play develops further resulting in the goal. The problem was he got lazy and took the easy option of a token gesture of pressing their central defender and stayed upfield in no mans land instead of tracking his man. In the final minutes protecting a slender lead, having been on for 30 or so minutes, imo that defending was criminal.

I actually saw that in real time and was thinking this is going to feck us.

I think as a winger it's pretty normal to not sprint back every time you concede possession. The midfield are supposed to shift across to offer the numbers whilst the team falls into a defensive shape, no?

If he,Rooney and Martial can start playing well, I reckon we have a decent chance of top 4.

Agreed, though I think you're being harsh. It was another bright cameo, which included a nice run to destabilise Newcastle's defence - which led to Rooney's goal - and then a wonderful cross to Fellaini, who should have scored. However, as soon as he came on, our left side was exposed and we looked terrible defensively, and I don't think that's a coincidence. He's used to not putting a shift in - often playing high on the left, waiting for an opportunity to counter the opposition, which explains why he's inept defensively.

I think Memphis' hesitation on the ball is what causes him lots of problems, and it's good to see that he's looking more confident when he picks the ball up. But right now, LvG is managing him perfectly. Bringing him on against tired opposition and allowing him to express him freely has obviously worked really well in the last two games.

I don't think hitting a shit shot and a striker having to hit a great strike to lead to a goal is a particularly strong piece of attacking play. He did very well for Fellaini's chance. My only bias is towards what is best for Utd. Depay has been a flop so far. His attacking play has not justified his awful defensive play.

I think as a winger it's pretty normal to not sprint back every time you concede possession. The midfield are supposed to shift across to offer the numbers whilst the team falls into a defensive shape, no?
A winger is part of the midfield. Two central midfielders can't deal with their central midfield and their full backs.

Think that's a big part of where LVG's formation is getting it wrong. In a 442, absolutely, the two wide players have a lot of defensive responsibilities. But in a 433, the forward players should be able to concentrate purely on attack, and pressing in the opposition half.

Not like you often see any of Suarez, Messi or Neymar tracking full backs into their own area.

I don't think hitting a shit shot and a striker having to hit a great strike to lead to a goal is a particularly strong piece of attacking play. He did very well for Fellaini's chance. My only bias is towards what is best for Utd. Depay has been a flop so far. His attacking play has not justified his awful defensive play.
Not at all, were you in the other player threads equally criticising players there after every mistake? You've made a conscious effort to exaggerate mistakes and downplay the frankly very good aspects of his performance. From your comments it's evidently clear you've already decided he was shit and no performance would change your mind, you've not viewed the game objectively at all.

Not at all, were you in the other player threads equally criticising players there after every mistake? You've made a conscious effort to exaggerate mistakes and downplay the frankly very good aspects of his performance. From your comments it's evidently clear you've already decided he was shit and no performance would change your mind, you've not viewed the game objectively at all.
Do you go into every player thread after a game? Try not to be a hypocrite about this. I don't think he's particularly good, you're right. Performances like last night won't change that because any good he did going forward was negating by his part in us dropping two points. I won't be engaging with you anymore however as you're going on ignore. Enjoy.

Do you go into every player thread after a game? Try not to be a hypocrite about this. I don't think he's particularly good, you're right. Performances like last night won't change that because any good he did going forward was negating by his part in us dropping two points. I won't be engaging with you anymore however as you're going on ignore. Enjoy.
You are being harsh, ignore his position as every player has a responsibility to defend, but other defensive players made less attacking contribution and were equally as poor defensively

You are being harsh, ignore his position as every player has a responsibility to defend, but other defensive players made less attacking contribution and were equally as poor defensively
Its not even as if he didnt defend, he did, but didnt get the ball. Watched the highlights and it's nowhere near as big of a deal as he's making, he makes it look as if he just stood there doing nothing.

Its not even as if he didnt defend, he did, but didnt get the ball. Watched the highlights and it's nowhere near as big of a deal as he's making, he makes it look as if he just stood there doing nothing.

Exactly,and to be more fair he has come from a team only last season where he didn't have to defend, adapting to how VG wants him to play the role won't be instant, he came on at a time where we needed to attack and he did that, good cameo, far from perfect but he looked good

Are you purposely obtuse? We play with two wingers, who last night were more inside forwards than anything else, they cut inside, especially Memphis..
Okay. If you think our wide players aren't expected to defend then there's no point debating with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.