View full 2015-16 profile

5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Better from him tonight and I won't blame the loss on his shite play for their third - the blame for the loss lies squarely with the fecking useless Fellaini.
Not quite a loss but I have to agree. There were chances to have a larger lead before Newcastle scored - and there were mistakes committed before Memphis' in the 3rd Newcastle goal.

He cancelled himself out. Created the last goal but was positionally terrible all game and left Darmian exposed. He has no clue tactically it seems, he was drifting central all the time. He is half a player.

Much better attacking wise. He was going past people and crossing well. Unfortunately all season he has been completely useless at defending.

On comes a player who actually creates, has the run and shot that sets up Rooney's goal and then he sets up Fellaini on a plate. And some of you manage to write him off again. You'd probably be happy with the drab 0-0 we usually serve up.
He has troubles defending, but the whole team was all over the place defensively. He's certainly looking better offensively, and we really need that.

And then get a corner and when they score from that, blame him as well. Shit happens, get over it. The goal wasnt his to blame, look what happens after.
What happened after was Smalling winning a difficult header and somebody banging it in via a deflection. Are you really trying to claim that putting the ball out of play was not the right choice?

He didn't do feck all though did he? Most players wouldnt have got in a position to make an error in the first place, as I say Mata is probably more to blame for not putting pressure on the crosser.
What did he do then?

What happened after was Smalling winning a difficult header and somebody banging it in via a deflection. Are you really trying to claim that putting the ball out of play was not the right choice?
You forgot Mata not closing down the crosser to stop the ball coming in in the first place.

It's a simple question. What did he do to help our defence? Get into position and then lose it? This is a good thing?
That doesn't equate to pathetic mate, players occasionally lose out in challenges, like Lingard did when getting fortunate after fouling in the box, and the dozens of other fouls committed on the pitch.

That doesn't equate to pathetic mate, players occasionally lose out in challenges, like Lingard did when getting fortunate after fouling in the box, and the dozens of other fouls committed on the pitch.
It does. He literally did nothing. He was looking infield instead of putting it out of play. Even f he had tried to clear it he was looking to do it across goal which is absolutely moronic.

It does. He literally did nothing. He was looking infield instead of putting it out of play. Even f he had tried to clear it he was looking to do it across goal which is absolutely moronic.
It doesn't, it's an error than he was only able go make because he had the power and pace to get back there in the first place, would you expect any better from any of our other wide men?

Why didnt Smalling head it away in the right direction, or why didnt he deflect the ball the other direction, oh dear (exaggeration). Fault the effort if it isnt there, but sometimes the execution is just unlucky, poor, too bad. Wouldnt make that much out of it when an attacker pushes off a midfielder but couldnt bring the ball with him. Too bad, but pathetic defending nah.

Looks a different player recently. Biggest thing for me is that he's taking people on like he actually means it, and because of that is getting a lot of success. Let's hope he can turn it into full match performances now.

It doesn't, it's an error than he was only able go make because he had the power and pace to get back there in the first place, would you expect any better from any of our other wide men?
Which I said made a refreshing change because he doesn't normally bother. My point is what's the point in doing it if you're going to do feck all when you actually get there. How it can be described as anything other than shite defending is baffling.

Depay is improving offensively and I think if we're to quality in the top four, we'll need a strong finish from Depay. I do wish though we'd have kept Nani (as well as Rafa). I think we have left ourselves too bare.

Why didnt Smalling head it away in the right direction, or why didnt he deflect the ball the other direction, oh dear (exaggeration). Fault the effort if it isnt there, but sometimes the execution is just unlucky, poor, too bad. Wouldnt make that much out of it when an attacker pushes off a midfielder but couldnt bring the ball with him. Too bad, but pathetic defending nah.
Okay. It was super defending. Well done Memphis. Thanks for tracking back for the first time since Stoke when you fecked up trying to play the ball infield too.

Which I said made a refreshing change because he doesn't normally bother. My point is what's the point in doing it if you're going to do feck all when you actually get there. How it can be described as anything other than shite defending is baffling.
Again what one of our wide men would've done any better?

Again what one of our wide men would've done any better?
Ashley Young probably. It's not really relevant mind you. We're talking about Depay. If you'd like a conversation about the defensive ability of our wide players start a topic. Depay won't be at the top of any sane persons list mind you.

He cancelled himself out. Created the last goal but was positionally terrible all game and left Darmian exposed. He has no clue tactically it seems, he was drifting central all the time. He is half a player.

Nah, I'd say Darmian being a bit crap left Darmian exposed.

I'm enjoying his positivity in the last two games.

It looks like he wants to prove a point which is good.

Good run that led to Rooney's 2nd goal and put in a fantastic cross that Fellaini should have buried, I'd say it was a good cameo in attack which in fairness is what he's here to do. He's putting the effort in to track back more than he was but he's positionally poor at helping his fullback, something exposed by the lack of mobility in the double pivot and without a top LB.

Ashley Young probably. It's not really relevant mind you. We're talking about Depay. If you'd like a conversation about the defensive ability of our wide players start a topic. Depay won't be at the top of any sane persons list mind you.
The winger who is primarily a defender now who got exposed a couple of times today as it is? You've singled out this mistake and called it pathetic, yet it's something you wouldn't expect any of our other wingers to do any better with, it's completely relevant.

The winger who is primarily a defender now who got exposed a couple of times today as it is? You've singled out this mistake and called it pathetic, yet it's something you wouldn't expect any of our other wingers to do any better with, it's completely relevant.
It's not relevant. Shite defending is shite defending regardless of who does it. Should we not criticise somebody making a mistake just because another equally useless player wouldn't do any better? That would be stupid.

It's not relevant. Shite defending is shite defending regardless of who does it. Should we not criticise somebody making a mistake just because another equally useless player wouldn't do any better? That would be stupid.
Yes, much in the same way as I wouldn't call Smalling pathetic for missing a one on one, you've completely exaggerated an error that most players playing in his position would've made anyway.

Granted, attacking wise he did make a difference - and he did show some desire to win the ball back a few times.

But the moment he lost the ball out towards the full back area I knew a Newcastle goal was imminent.

Luke Shaw, I miss you so much!

He's primarily here to attack and that he did well. His defensive contributions could've been better, but he was showing effort, which always a good sign. It's not like we were a fortress at the back prior to him coming on either.

A lot happened after he was robbed on the byline. TBH we shouldnt have been in that position, but yeah he needs to be smarter going forward. Next time he needs to just put his foot through the ball, put it for a corner if need be or hook it out for a throw in.

But I think this is how he should be used. Rotating and not playing every minute in his first season. Him and Lingard rotating (or him and Martial, whatever) which will help him and the club.

Did very well again I thought. Can't blame him solely for conceding that goal, was comical defending from everyone, and he's more a forward/winger anyways, while the others at fault were defenders and center mids. What he did do well was create the space for Rooney's goal and made a sitter for Fellaini. Should be starting more I think. Put Rooney as the 10, Martial up top, Fellaini on the bench, and Lingard and Memphis on the wings and have us play a counter attacking style. We'll be much better for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.