Film Megalopolis | Francis Ford Coppolla | Adam Driver

Would rather see more divisive movies like this being made, but generally accepted mediocrity probably makes the studios more money.

Looks like a utterly gorgeous pretentious mess. Will definitely check it out.

Edit. It's boring. So, maybe I won't check it out.

Last edited:
The design in this looks really boring. You've got 100m to play with, it's your swan song, and your lead character just wears a black suit and has the most mundane haircut in the world? C'mon Francis.

Honestly, if it's that, I'm pretty sure I'm going to love it in an entirely non-objective way. Great directors producing messes is a lot more interesting than the standard fare released nowadays.
Can’t wait to see it!
I have my tickets booked for Wednesday in the swanky cinema close to home, I might even forego my non-drinking and order a glass of wine with the film. Francis deserves it.

I have my tickets booked for Wednesday in the swanky cinema close to home, I might even forego my non-drinking and order a glass of wine with the film. Francis deserves it.
Nice! I’m tempted to see it at the big Imax but there’s a showing today at my local. If it’s good then I’m probably be seeing it again on the big screen.

Francis is definitely deserves it.

Apparently the dialogue is

Honestly, if it's that, I'm pretty sure I'm going to love it in an entirely non-objective way. Great directors producing messes is a lot more interesting than the standard fare released nowadays.

You sound like my kind of date.

Nice! I’m tempted to see it at the big Imax but there’s a showing today at my local. If it’s good then I’m probably be seeing it again on the big screen.

Francis is definitely deserves it.
Nice!! Curious to hear your thoughts about it
You sound like my kind of date.
Well my fiancée doesn't seem particularly enthused about it all so if you can make it over by Wednesday, you can take her seat and the Ribera del Duero is on me.
Well, he can’t take it with him, can he. Might as well build an altar and set it all alight.
Exactly this!!

Just got back from this.

Incredible mixture of vibes and bullshit. Spends a couple of hours twatting you over the head with symbolism like a lead pipe and finally in the last half hour or so it just kind of gives up on itself and becomes a pretty great surrealist comedy.

Coppola has spent $120 million of his own money on a movie that only @Sweet Square and @Rooney in Paris could possibly like. Absolute nutter. I'm just kind of glad it exists for that reason alone.

Like his other films in the internet age that are all absolutely awful, it's still gonna have die-hard desperate for Coppola to have some kind of relevant film in their lifetime fans claiming it's actually very good, probably should have accepted the Rainmaker was the best it was ever gonna get, a solid safe Grisham thriller in the 90's...

People use the "it's Coppola, it's at least worth a watch" or similar way too often for a guy who hasn't made a great film since 1979, not like he's Scorsese or Spielberg who still have chops.

Just checked Wikipedia and I've never seen a Coppola directed film.. yes somehow I've never seen any of the godfathers :lol:

The movie spends two hours navelgazing, preaching hamfisted social commentary, and quoting Shakespeare and Marcus Aurelius - but by the end it doesn't have any fecks left to give. It's at this point that Jon Voight says "What do you think of my boner?", pulls back the bedsheets to reveal a miniature bow and arrow, and starts wasting fools.

If the whole movie was just like that last half an hour or so it's 12/10.

Curious to hear your thoughts about it
Watched it this afternoon. I’ll give it a few days before posting my full thoughts but my god! I also definitely need to hear your views on it.
Coppola has spent $120 million of his own money on a movie that only @Sweet Square and @Rooney in Paris could possibly like. Absolute nutter. I'm just kind of glad it exists for that reason alone.
:lol:

Saw it tonight and
It’s somehow both the best film of the year and one of the worst films my eyes have ever witnessed.

Incredible viewing experience.

Just checked Wikipedia and I've never seen a Coppola directed film.. yes somehow I've never seen any of the godfathers :lol:
Not even —

scale

?