McTominay (Out) | announced - signed for Napoli

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is a reliable squad player, academy graduate, he made some wonders coming from the bench, mostly gives his everything when called upon.So if it was up to me, I would keep him.
How exactly he is reliable player? Can't pass, can't create and can't defend. Because of that our complete general play suffers.
McT is by far the worst player who regulary played for this club.

I'd actually be bit sad if we sold him. No doubt that he's at best an impact sub / squad player. But homegrown who can bring some energy and goals from the bench, what's not to like?
He’s fools gold like Rashford. Both contribute nothing if they don’t score. They’re passengers who effectively make us play a man down.

I think playing O'Shea in midfield was/is the counter argument to your point. He was exceptionally limited, those games he didn't offer anything other than basic cover.

How is that a counter argument? Most players wouldn't even provide basic cover including players that were great in their main role. A versatile player is by definition not very limited.

He’s fools gold like Rashford. Both contribute nothing if they don’t score. They’re passengers who effectively make us play a man down.

Rashford at least makes the opposition not go to high up the pitch with their pressing

If he was better technically he would be a luxury player, but he isn't so he would be classified as a passenger. Plays all around and not in a good way, cannot be relied to hold any position in our midfield, off the ball movement and coverage is very poor. His only defensive quality is height.
Offensively he can give you a random goal and make you look like midtable team if you play him as the most advance midfielder, anything further back aka 8 or 6 and you lost the midfield battle.

Best case scenario someone offers 20-30m depending on the payment structure, and we sell to fund a move for another midfielder, worst case we are left with him and Casemiro for the 6 - that would be ugly.
I don't feel great writing this, and I really wanted some McSauce magic to happen, but years have passed and it is obvious we need to move forward to better players.

Have we reached a conclusion on whether he's a good squad player, a great plan C option, a hiding midfielder, or not good enough?

I keep seeing this thread near the top of the page and no significant updates.

He is a reliable squad player, academy graduate, he made some wonders coming from the bench, mostly gives his everything when called upon.So if it was up to me, I would keep him.
He's crap. I can't understand people who don't want this guy gone, the same people who are perplexed why we look so bad on the ball and can't pass. Being an academy graduate and running around a lot don't make you good on the ball.

Have we reached a conclusion on whether he's a good squad player, a great plan C option, a hiding midfielder, or not good enough?

Hiding midfielder which is no good to us

We were offered £30m last summer and now he has a year less on his contract, we're not going to get anyone offering that price again. I think £20m, maybe plus some add-ons (for avoiding relegation?), is about all we can realistically hope for, the most we've been offered so far is £17m which we rightly rejected, but I doubt we'll get a lot more than that.

Yeah we are stupid not accepting that last summer

I think that being unreliable is his biggest weakness.

His work rate

How exactly he is reliable player? Can't pass, can't create and can't defend. Because of that our complete general play suffers.
McT is by far the worst player who regulary played for this club.
If you expect of him to control the midfield...
Of course he can't do that.But he got a lot of energy and he is very determined.Also he can score decisive goals in important games especially when he is coming from the bench.He got flaws but I still think he is OK for a squad rotating player.

The bold bit there makes it sound like he's peak Ole, he's a Midfielder his job is to help dictate play, he's shit at it.

Since when is that his job? It's not FIFA. Players have different rolls all over the pitch.

He would walk into most pl teams, and would get into the squads of almost all of them.

In some ways similar to Maguire. You don't want them to start, but if we're down 1 with 10-15 minutes left, McTominay is useful, and if we're up 1 with 10-15 to go, Maguire is too.

But they should both be sold to mid-table Prem sides.

He's crap. I can't understand people who don't want this guy gone, the same people who are perplexed why we look so bad on the ball and can't pass. Being an academy graduate and running around a lot don't make you good on the ball.
I'm not saying that he can control the midfield.I' saying that his determination (especially when he's coming from the bench) won us matches before and can win us in the future and that he's ticking most of the boxes when it comes to squad rotation player.

I'm not saying that he can control the midfield.I' saying that his determination (especially when he's coming from the bench) won us matches before and can win us in the future and that he's ticking most of the boxes when it comes to squad rotation player.
How he is ticking most of boxes? Rotation players play 30-35 games per season so he must be on similiar level as first team players. He is a midfielder who can't do anything what midfielders should do.

And it is funny how every shit player has "determination". You know what that means? That he is utter dross in everything so lets point at that how he is "trying". You will not see "determination and passion" shit used for good players.

How he is ticking most of boxes? Rotation players play 30-35 games per season so he must be on similiar level as first team players. He is a midfielder who can't do anything what midfielders should do.

And it is funny how every shit player has "determination". You know what that means? That he is utter dross in everything so lets point at that how he is "trying". You will not see "determination and passion" shit used for good players.

Hundred percent. When you can't actually praise the players footballing ability you know they're rubbish.

Since when is that his job? It's not FIFA. Players have different rolls all over the pitch.

He would walk into most pl teams, and would get into the squads of almost all of them.
Well if that is really the case then teams would be queuing up to sign him and be prepared to pay up for him. The fact is there is no real interest for him same as last summer. He’s a very poor midfielder, lacking in basic talent. Tragic that he’s still a regular starter here. Frankly beggers belief that some still want to keep him around.

original
You love to see it :drool::devil:

We all know you love McTom, but we probably should sell him this summer.

ETH, is that you?
He is Manchester United in his heart. He is playing for the badge and gives his life. When you are coming on and giving this to the team it tells a lot. Every player has a price - but he has a big value, sporting and also economic. I want to have a player like Scott McTominay in the squad. He is Manchester United in every way. In every minute he will fight for the match. Those players you need.

These are actual Ten hag quotes, by the way.

He is Manchester United in his heart. He is playing for the badge and gives his life. When you are coming on and giving this to the team it tells a lot. Every player has a price - but he has a big value, sporting and also economic. I want to have a player like Scott McTominay in the squad. He is Manchester United in every way. In every minute he will fight for the match. Those players you need.

These are actual Ten hag quotes, by the way.

How does he give his all more than anyone else? He mostly jog about five yards from the nearest opponent when chasing the ball or hiding behind said players when showing for the ball.

He’s alright, but he isn’t good enough.

Unless we get a decent sum of money for him then I feel he has value in being a sqaud player and sub. Personally I would keep him for the early round cup ties but would never start him in a PL game. He's fine as he is, a sub that is a goal threat when we need one or if we are coasting to victory and need to replace tired legs in games. He's on a very modest salary which helps keep the wage bill down. He dosen't seem (at present) to be a player constantly knocking on the managers door to start. I think he accepts his limitations and understands his role within the club well. Basically start him against League One opposition in cup games and bring him on with 15mins to go when we are losing.

Not broken up if we don't sell, we should have at least 6 midfielders of Mainoo, Mount, Bruno, Casemiro, Ugarte (?) and one other

I've put ugarte here as a place holder but even with him we need another. People were keen to see back of Fred and i think he would have been a useful player at times last season

Not broken up if we don't sell, we should have at least 6 midfielders of Mainoo, Mount, Bruno, Casemiro, Ugarte (?) and one other

I've put ugarte here as a place holder but even with him we need another. People were keen to see back of Fred and i think he would have been a useful player at times last season
Fred was easily the most suited midfielder we had to the style we played last season. In hindsight, selling him was a stupid decision.

Fred was easily the most suited midfielder we had to the style we played last season. In hindsight, selling him was a stupid decision.

Yeah he masked a lot of tactical flaws we had by running like crazy to deal with counters. On the ball is where everyone criticized him and that's definitely justified but his off the ball impact went unnoticed.

Take out a his pressing intensity from a side that doesn't have the technical ability to keep the ball or the tactical awareness (or let's be nice to the Ten Hag fans, personnel) to press high effectively and we were always going to have a bad time.

That’s actually true. I was absolutely fine with him moving on on the assumption that we’d try to incorporate a playstyle that was aimed at dominating the ball and hence the game. For this plucky transition football that ETH is implementing though, Fred would have been a better fit.

That’s actually true. I was absolutely fine with him moving on on the assumption that we’d try to incorporate a playstyle that was aimed at dominating the ball and hence the game. For this plucky transition football that ETH is implementing though, Fred would have been a better fit.
Yep. Even though I've long been one of Fred's stronger defenders on this forum and felt he was generally better and more important than most people realised, I was ok with him being sold. I had the same assumption as you about the playstyle, plus Fred was 30 and players of his all-action style often fall away earlier.

As it turned out, instead of moving to a playstyle where he was less useful we actually did the opposite and moved to a playstyle where he would have been even more useful than he had been previously.

Yes. Hes a cautionary tale. We got a decent fee and i see the logic in selling, but the clamour to sell certain players from fans needs to think ahead. Is mctominay a bad squad player? No. I won't be heartbroken to sell, but sometimes people see keeping certain players as some massive failing when really there are only a few 'must sells'. Greenwood for example was one. Van de beek was one. And so on.

Yes. Hes a cautionary tale. We got a decent fee and i see the logic in selling, but the clamour to sell certain players from fans needs to think ahead. Is mctominay a bad squad player? No. I won't be heartbroken to sell, but sometimes people see keeping certain players as some massive failing when really there are only a few 'must sells'. Greenwood for example was one. Van de beek was one. And so on.
I don't think you can compare Fred and McTominay. Fred was always a much better player, and that's the level that can be a good squad player. He had his limitations but he also had strengths where he was clearly one of the best around while also being better on the ball than he got given credit for (it's just that his bad moments tended to be very bad).

McTominay is much more limited. His only real use is as a late game option off the bench when we're desperate for a goal, but even then we 'should' have better options for that role. In every other aspect we really should have better options; players who are good at the basics of midfield play and who can play their part in helping the team as a whole function.

That's not to say that McTominay is the absolute worst or anything like that. We've definitely had worse over the last decade or so, or players who came with higher expectations who were no better than him. But I'd be very disappointed if the new hierarchy and scouting system can't replace him with a better player for a decent price. It really shouldn't be hard. In saying that, it might take a year or so for the scouting system to really start showing what they can do.

McTominay is a great squad player which is why we want decent money for him. No point selling him if you can't afford to buy a better player in a position we need.

McTominay is a great squad player which is why we want decent money for him. No point selling him if you can't afford to buy a better player in a position we need.
He’s really not which is why we only get what some think of as derisory offers for him. Common sense says if he was such a great squad player then many clubs would be queuing up to sign him. The reality is they are not which speaks volumes to his utter lack of quality. Genuinely baffling why people think we should keep him around.

We need to lower than valuation, other teams don't see him even half as important as we do

He’s really not which is why we only get what some think of as derisory offers for him. Common sense says if he was such a great squad player then many clubs would be queuing up to sign him. The reality is they are not which speaks volumes to his utter lack of quality. Genuinely baffling why people think we should keep him around.

We need to lower than valuation, other teams don't see him even half as important as we do
Then we should keep him.

McTominay's problem is that his best position is that of a profile which hasn't really existed in top level club football in the past 5-10 years.

The line-breaking, drive into space number 8 hasn't really existed since the mid 2010s.

Status
Not open for further replies.