McTominay (Out) | announced - signed for Napoli

Status
Not open for further replies.
What yesteryear squad player comparison is McT?

Blomqvist? Phil Neville? Butt?
They were all effective in their positions, with Neville performing to a high standard in various roles.
Even when utilised in a effective manner, I still think McTom has drawbacks in a way.

I think would be Fellaini a good comparison but then I think even he was more tactically actute.

Last edited:
Darren Gibson
Harsh on McT, I think squads need these players. The cafe would have screamed out using John O'Shea etc but because we were winning it was OK. He's not starter level but he is an option off the bench occassionally. A 20 appearances a season guy (not starts)

What yesteryear squad player comparison is McT?

Blomqvist? Phil Neville? Butt?
It's damn hard to think of a midfielder for United who has chipped in with goals but very little else - he has very little hope of his skill wheel ever looking at all like a wheel.

The Gibson suggestion will be hard to beat.

It's damn hard to think of a midfielder for United who has chipped in with goals but very little else - he has very little hope of his skill wheel ever looking at all like a wheel.

Gibson had about 11 weeks of relevancy. McT played under Mourinho

Harsh on McT, I think squads need these players. The cafe would have screamed out using John O'Shea etc but because we were winning it was OK. He's not starter level but he is an option off the bench occassionally. A 20 appearances a season guy (not starts)
Sheasy was a versatile player but unlike McT, could play LB, RB, CB, DM even GK. So it's harsh on O'Shea.

He didn't get much game time at all, but McT reminds me a lot of Nick Powell. He had a pretty good strike rate for the amount he played for us

He is a reliable squad player, academy graduate, he made some wonders coming from the bench, mostly gives his everything when called upon.So if it was up to me, I would keep him.

Sheasy was a versatile player but unlike McT, could play LB, RB, CB, DM even GK. So it's harsh on O'Shea.
I'd say McT can play (not well) three positions, CB (emergency), CM, #10/#9 target man.

I am happy to sell him but he's an alright squad player, he's not Alex Buttner

original

He is a reliable squad player, academy graduate, he made some wonders coming from the bench, mostly gives his everything when called upon.So if it was up to me, I would keep him.
We need to improve the squad and he has some value. Time to ship out, because if we leave it another year we will never get any sale for him.

We did this last year with Lavia and Palmer. If they are worth 50m, surely a much more established McTominay was worth 40m+. But no one offered that much.

The thing is, highly rated young players go for more money than establishment average players. It has always been like that. That’s why we spent 50m or so in Yoro who is completely unproven, when instead we could have bought many mediocre EPL established CBs for half that.

So no, some club offering 35m or 50m to a very rated young player doesn’t mean that McTominay is also gonna be sold for that.

I think the question is more, who's rating Smith-Rowe at the age of 23 after his last 2 non-existent seasons? I don't think anybody thinks in their heart of hearts that McT is worth more than £20-30m but how you could spend £35m on Smith-Rowe is beyond me. Unless perhaps it's all contingent on appearances and goals or something with feck all up front.

Ironically it was his work rate that got him into the side.

I think it was only a perception of work rate. The amount of goals we've conceded with him just jogging back instead of running to cover space is quite indicative.

I don't think ESR can do a Palmer, I also realize he was highly rated at Arsenal but you folks tend to also overrate your youngsters frequently. Palmer was very highly regarded at City for a long time for example, he didn't just pop up out of nowhere, ESR while talented I've never seen him back up that talent.
Really? In his breakthrough season he scored quite a few and everyone was picking him for their FF teams, then he got injured again

He's another player like Wan Bissaka. Not good enough to be a starter and someone that we should be improving on, but maybe not right now.

Both should be squad options. With Wan Bissaka I rate him as a good backup to Dalot and think RB is the least of our problems.

The McTominay situation is different. Apart from Mainoo I don't rate any of our other options as the required standard for a starter, and I believe McTominay would be more suited to a diminished role than Casemiro.

I'd actually be bit sad if we sold him. No doubt that he's at best an impact sub / squad player. But homegrown who can bring some energy and goals from the bench, what's not to like?

Sounds brutal and know I will get hammered but wouldn't be sad to see him or Rashford go

He is leagues below the likes of O'Shea - He is more in line with Cleverley.

He is leagues below the likes of O'Shea - He is more in line with Cleverley.
Debatable. Every player was world class under that great old man. I could imagine McT as a key player under SAF and I also could imagine a poor player in Oshea under any manager post SAF era.

Debatable. Every player was world class under that great old man. I could imagine McT as a key player under SAF and I also could imagine a poor player in Oshea under any manager post SAF era.
Yeah, O'Shea was exceptionally limited and I love him as a player. It was the magic of SAF

Sounds brutal and know I will get hammered but wouldn't be sad to see him or Rashford go

Same.

My thoughts from last season's squad is that Fernandes, Martinez, Garnacho and Mainoo are unsellable. Anyone else could go and I wouldn't be that upset.

Yeah, O'Shea was exceptionally limited and I love him as a player. It was the magic of SAF

O'Shea wasn't exceptionally limited that's why in spite of the fact that he was a CB with mainly CB physical and technical attributes he was also an average fullback and CM. I think that I get why you used to term limited(a focus on technique and athleticism) but it's wrong, his tactical abilities allowed him to be less limited than most players. Most players have one role and that's it, if you use them differently their level of performance plummets but that wasn't the case for O'Shea.

People keep saying he's great to bring on when we're chasing a game, and he's scored a few point-saving goals etc. But wouldn't it be better to take the £20m or so we could get for him, and use that as part investment in a midfielder that can help us not be in the position where we need to be chasing games in the last few minutes? We desperately need a new DM, and if selling McTominay can help us get one, I'm all for risking losing his last minute game saving goals as hopefully they won't be needed anymore.

People keep saying he's great to bring on when we're chasing a game, and he's scored a few point-saving goals etc. But wouldn't it be better to take the £20m or so we could get for him, and use that as part investment in a midfielder that can help us not be in the position where we need to be chasing games in the last few minutes? We desperately need a new DM, and if selling McTominay can help us get one, I'm all for risking losing his last minute game saving goals as hopefully they won't be needed anymore.

Yeah couldn't have put it any better

He's a player with the physicality, right attitude, work rate and you can see he's a true fan of Man Utd, he's useful when chasing a goal and last season it was proven.

His stock is high right now, or as high as it can be, after scoring so many goals so I think this is the right time to sell him. As much as I praised him for all the mentioned above he's not up to the standard, he offers very little in midfield. If we can get 20-25M for him we should take them.

For a lower league club wouldn't 30-40m be worth it if he inevitably scores some key goals and earns an extra 10 points or so? It could be the difference between staying up or relegation.

It's not the replacement part I have a problem with, it's the shite fees we've been offered for him.

Missed 14 games through injury last year and 14 games the year before that and 10 the year before - We absolutely need to move him on, people say he might be poor at passing but he's physical! He won under 46% of his duels last season and averaged the least touches, all he is good for is running into the box last minute and getting a few goals and top clubs don't need that player.

He needs to go, if the club is unwilling to commit giving him a new contract he should leave.

For a lower league club wouldn't 30-40m be worth it if he inevitably scores some key goals and earns an extra 10 points or so? It could be the difference between staying up or relegation.

It's not the replacement part I have a problem with, it's the shite fees we've been offered for him.
We were offered £30m last summer and now he has a year less on his contract, we're not going to get anyone offering that price again. I think £20m, maybe plus some add-ons (for avoiding relegation?), is about all we can realistically hope for, the most we've been offered so far is £17m which we rightly rejected, but I doubt we'll get a lot more than that.

O'Shea wasn't exceptionally limited that's why in spite of the fact that he was a CB with mainly CB physical and technical attributes he was also an average fullback and CM. I think that I get why you used to term limited(a focus on technique and athleticism) but it's wrong, his tactical abilities allowed him to be less limited than most players. Most players have one role and that's it, if you use them differently their level of performance plummets but that wasn't the case for O'Shea.
I think playing O'Shea in midfield was/is the counter argument to your point. He was exceptionally limited, those games he didn't offer anything other than basic cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.