McTominay (Out) | announced - signed for Napoli

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess he could join one of the two top clubs in Scotland next year for free. He would be more dominant there and his playstyle is a better fit. That or a bottom team in PL who scores on set pieces. Can't see him being sold this summer. His performances in the Euros sure put the few club interested out of interest.

Smith-Rowe is on something in the 100-120k per week range by most reports but a club like Fulham can pay that no problem.

ESR is an exciting gamble for a side like Fulham. His injury record is poor but he is very talented and still young and there is a scenario where you he stays healthy, has a breakout year, and then Fulham have an English international star on their hands that they can ride for a few seasons and eventually sell for a significant profit. ESR also works within the context of a team like Fulham that wants to be able to play with the ball against the weaker sides and needs creative players to feed a classic CF like Muniz - he'll play LW where Willian played sometimes, CAM instead of Pereira sometimes. In contrast, its not really clear how McTominay works within the Fulham side. He's not enough of a true DM to be a replacement for Palhinha, he's not the type of attacking midfielder they seem to prefer, they already have both Harrison and Iwobi as box-to-box players.

McTominay is a hard player to fit into a side, for the same reasons that United has found. Its easy to say that some midtable side should want that kind of box crashing midfielder but most of these teams have managers with different tactical ideas. There aren't many Moyes types managing in the PL anymore.
This is a very accurate post. Smith-Rowe is the better footballer with much higher potential, hence the transfer outlay.

We've now got half the caf hypocritically moaning the same way the Everton fans were when we signed Yoro for more than what we offered for Branthwaite.

I guess he could join one of the two top clubs in Scotland next year for free. He would be more dominant there and his playstyle is a better fit. That or a bottom team in PL who scores on set pieces. Can't see him being sold this summer. His performances in the Euros sure put the few club interested out of interest.
Eh? Scotland were terrible but at least he was their only player who scored.

If you keep aside expectations from United player then McT is quite a decent player for any mid table club.

I think Thomas Soucek is a decent comparison for McT, Soucek is better in the air, McT is more mobile and probably a slightly better passer. Both offer a reasonable goal threat.

Soucek has pretty much been an ever present for West Ham for the last 4 years but I wouldn't judge him a better player than Scott who many on here think is a championship player.

Smith-Rowe is on something in the 100-120k per week range by most reports but a club like Fulham can pay that no problem.

ESR is an exciting gamble for a side like Fulham. His injury record is poor but he is very talented and still young and there is a scenario where you he stays healthy, has a breakout year, and then Fulham have an English international star on their hands that they can ride for a few seasons and eventually sell for a significant profit. ESR also works within the context of a team like Fulham that wants to be able to play with the ball against the weaker sides and needs creative players to feed a classic CF like Muniz - he'll play LW where Willian played sometimes, CAM instead of Pereira sometimes. In contrast, its not really clear how McTominay works within the Fulham side. He's not enough of a true DM to be a replacement for Palhinha, he's not the type of attacking midfielder they seem to prefer, they already have both Harrison and Iwobi as box-to-box players.

McTominay is a hard player to fit into a side, for the same reasons that United has found. Its easy to say that some midtable side should want that kind of box crashing midfielder but most of these teams have managers with different tactical ideas. There aren't many Moyes types managing in the PL anymore.
He'd obviously be miles better than Harrison Reed as a b2b and Iwobi flatters to deceive at points, so a good option to have provided they get a new DM. He could also play in Pereira's position at points too if ESR plays wide.

I don't think McTominay is a hard player to fit into a side, he's just not the requisite quality for a side looking to challenge towards the top of the table. Fulham came 13th, he would obviously improve them. They wouldn't have bid for him if they didn't have a plan to fit him in the side.

He’s way too good for the Scottish league.

He'd obviously be miles better than Harrison Reed as a b2b and Iwobi flatters to deceive at points, so a good option to have provided they get a new DM. He could also play in Pereira's position at points too if ESR plays wide.

I don't think McTominay is a hard player to fit into a side, he's just not the requisite quality for a side looking to challenge towards the top of the table. Fulham came 13th, he would obviously improve them. They wouldn't have bid for him if they didn't have a plan to fit him in the side.
I agree with that McTominay's an upgrade on Reid and that Iwobi isn't all that. However, I'm sure Fulham can find an upgrade on Reid for a lot less than the 30-40m that many on here seem to think McTominay's worth.

He could be a useful squad player for them and the size of therir bid reflected that kind of usage. But I doubt they're going to pay 30m unless its a player they think would be in nearly every starting XI when healthy and I'm not sure that's the case with McTominay.

A club like Fulham stays midtable largely by beating bad teams enough over the course of the season, especially at home. And that usually means trying to take the initiative in those matches, controlling and using the ball and putting the opponent under sustained pressure. I don't think McTominay is really the central midfielder a manager like Marco Silva wants in that situation.

I agree with that McTominay's an upgrade on Reid and that Iwobi isn't all that. However, I'm sure Fulham can find an upgrade on Reid for a lot less than the 30-40m that many on here seem to think McTominay's worth.
I don't personally believe he's worth 40m, I see the reasoning, but don't agree with it. A fee up to 30m would be reasonable and I don't think Fulham would find many players interested in joining them, for the quality 30m should get them in their eyes, or wouldn't be a massive gamble. For all Scotts flaws, he is league proven and would improve any of the sides around mid table.
He could be a useful squad player for them and the size of therir bid reflected that kind of usage. But I doubt they're going to pay 30m unless its a player they think would be in nearly every starting XI when healthy and I'm not sure that's the case with McTominay.

A club like Fulham stays midtable largely by beating bad teams enough over the course of the season, especially at home. And that usually means trying to take the initiative in those matches, controlling and using the ball and putting the opponent under sustained pressure. I don't think McTominay is really the central midfielder a manager like Marco Silva wants in that situation.
Not really though, ESR opening bid was 30m and went up to 35m. They've bid 17m, if they go up to 20m+, that would still make him one of their top 5 most expensive signings of all time. That is what they pay for first team players in general. I don't think we'll get 30m out of them, but that's not because they don't know where to fit him in or he wouldn't be a starter. I personally think they've overpaid for a player who's never shown he could stay fit, but he's obviously talented and worth the gamble in their eyes.

Sure, but they get higher up the table by also picking up points against bigger teams when they play on the counter, which McTominay could help them do. McTominay is a goal threat and they are also losing height in their midfield with Palinha, he's not a like for like replacement for anyone, but there are obvious qualities he brings to a side like Fulham.

God I know he isn’t quite good enough for United but he’s way too good to be playing in Scotland.

United have hit some much higher positions than Fulham regularly starting McTom, so I don't think it'd stop Fulham getting higher than 13th!

How are they able to get up to £35m for a player who has some 100 odd appearances in 6 years and is a bit injury prone (if I am correct), while no one is ready to stump up £30m for a PL midfielder who got 10 goals last season. This basically funds their Calafiori transfer. Annoying!

They are run properly by the fact their players are not grossly overpaid so find it much easier to sell them

I'm not sure about that. Seem to remember Reed being very good against Utd last year and bringing a control that McTominay doesn't seem to be able to. Not saying Reed is better overall as McTominay has more attacking impact, but I think the gap is far far smaller than you've suggested and not necessarily worthy of a 35m outlay.

Interesting. Except, nobody else did. We couldn't score goals at all last season. Rashford, Bruno, Hojlund and Garnacho struggled to find the net. McTominay found 10 goals mainly as a sub. So no, you couldn't just stick anybody on the end of a "hoof ball" and expect a goal because nobody else. He did and he turned a couple of draws into wins and a losses into draws. He's not a bad option to have 10 goals from your bench.
How do you know that if he wasnt benched we wouldnt score, just see against whom he scored as well. We should also be aspiring to be dominant team building consistent attacking moves not try to score a random goal from a player like McTominay. Theres no denying he can be a threat but at the same time that we could create many chances without him as a starter.
And one last point just because Ten Haag is gash and cant form a proper midfield doesnt mean that ideally we should be aiming higher than Scotty who pretty much showed hes not good enough under three or four different managers. Problem is there is no competition, and that will come hopefully this year. he will be forgotten as soon as hes transfered to a lower prem team, he will not have much of a kick in fullham anyway, after half season. Hes championship lvl player.

A lot of these points he won us was coming on as a sub. He was the biggest bail-out player in the squad last season, probably after Bruno.

So it doesn't matter how terrible he is as a midfielder starting games. ETH knows throwing him on up front has worked several times in the past, so his value to a failing system becomes even higher.
I agree with that but is there a team that would pay said 25-30m for a player who would come on as a sub and nick a goal here and there and do feck all when started? thats pretty much insane and calling for a head of the one who recruited him. You can have a great functional player who is a great prospect, although not top tier from Seria A, La Liga, Brazil...

Yes hes valuable to us, but we should be looking to upgrade him, and get 20 mil and leave/reinvest in much higher value player. there would be a lot of smart moves how we could replace him.

I'm not sure about that. Seem to remember Reed being very good against Utd last year and bringing a control that McTominay doesn't seem to be able to. Not saying Reed is better overall as McTominay has more attacking impact, but I think the gap is far far smaller than you've suggested and not necessarily worthy of a 35m outlay.
Who wasn't good against us, the list was endless. That's not what you're asking from McTominay though and as a B2B midfielder, Reed doesn't do enough. I agree 35m would be too much, but much like ESR, I imagine it would only get to that top end price you agree on, if they were a success for them.

Also no one rated Pereira when he was here and he didn't exactly control games, but he's hugely important for them.

Smith-rowe for 35 and mctominay for 17 from fulham..what the heck..clubs think we are not good in selling and lower the price ?

I see the delusions of last summer about what fee this guy should command have resurfaced once again. £35M-£40M because he scored some goals from the bench for the first time in his career. Incomprehensible to me how anyone can watch him play for an extended period of time and think United should be getting this much money for him. Man's a ghost in the midfield. The way his international caps are being pointed out, you'd think it's Holland, or Croatia, and not Scotland.

If someone offers £20M, snap their hands off and run. Pure profit, very good. He can't be here another season when the club needs cash for transfers.
Fully agree. I'd even take the 17M being offered with only a couple more in add-ons.

How do you know that if he wasnt benched we wouldnt score, just see against whom he scored as well. We should also be aspiring to be dominant team building consistent attacking moves not try to score a random goal from a player like McTominay. Theres no denying he can be a threat but at the same time that we could create many chances without him as a starter.
And one last point just because Ten Haag is gash and cant form a proper midfield doesnt mean that ideally we should be aiming higher than Scotty who pretty much showed hes not good enough under three or four different managers. Problem is there is no competition, and that will come hopefully this year. he will be forgotten as soon as hes transfered to a lower prem team, he will not have much of a kick in fullham anyway, after half season. Hes championship lvl player.
Weren't random goals though. That was his role. Also, Championship level players don't rack up 176 appearances for Man Utd. You may not like him but, he's definitely PL quality, hence the fee were asking for.

Weren't random goals though. That was his role. Also, Championship level players don't rack up 176 appearances for Man Utd. You may not like him but, he's definitely PL quality, hence the fee were asking for.
That's debatable, Tom Cleverley racked up 55 apps in basically 3 seasons of senior football here, and landed in the Championship a few years after leaving. He probably would have comparable appearances to McT had he stayed for 6 or 7 seasons.

PL quality is a pretty dubious term, Roy Keane played for a relegated Forest before becoming the best midfielder in the league, just playing for this Utd by virtue of being a youth product doesnt make you a quality player.

I'm always baffled when I see people bigging up McTomminay.

If he was at any other team in the league and playing how he does here, would we be trying to sign him?

Would we feck.

Hopefully we get a decent fee, I would count 30m as great business for us but 20m on the cheap side.

They are run properly by the fact their players are not grossly overpaid so find it much easier to sell them

Smith Rowe earns £40k a week and last year McTominay earned £60k a week. With the 25% reduction for missing out on CL, that should be down to £45k a week this year.

So much shite talking about McTominay on here. Great squad player to have.

If anyone noticed, he was the difference for about 10-15 points last season. Not a bad player to have coming off the bench when chasing.

Of course he shouldn't be a starter and ultimately you'd want a team like under Fergie with great players all over, but in a pragmatical World: Can you really get that type of loyal player willing to only play here and there, who also saves us many times for 20m? These days that's not enough to get a decent squad player in, and it's even harder when you get a United-tax on players. + He's home grown.

I'm always baffled when I see people bigging up McTomminay.

If he was at any other team in the league and playing how he does here, would we be trying to sign him?

Would we feck.

Hopefully we get a decent fee, I would count 30m as great business for us but 20m on the cheap side.

No, because we'd be quoted £50m if we were trying to buy him off an Everton or a West Ham.

But he doesn't play for one of those clubs. He already plays for us. So aside from not costing us a transfer fee, he also counts as locally trained, which is important for our UEFA squads. Additionally, he's grown up at the club so already has a settled role in the dressing room and has shown that he's happy to fight for his place in the squad even when he's nowhere near first choice.

If we get a good offer and we are able to strengthen the squad with those funds, then by all means let him go. But the argument that we wouldn't sign him if he was playing for someone else misses a lot of important details.

I'd actually be bit sad if we sold him. No doubt that he's at best an impact sub / squad player. But homegrown who can bring some energy and goals from the bench, what's not to like?

I'd actually be bit sad if we sold him. No doubt that he's at best an impact sub / squad player. But homegrown who can bring some energy and goals from the bench, what's not to like?
The bold bit there makes it sound like he's peak Ole, he's a Midfielder his job is to help dictate play, he's shit at it.

The downside is that when he scores that, he starts match after match, being useless until his next goal. It's like crack to the managers. They can't help it.

The bold bit there makes it sound like he's peak Ole, he's a Midfielder his job is to help dictate play, he's shit at it.

There a loads of different type of midfielders with different jobs.. When used as in impact sub, his job is to create havoc in the opponents box and give us goals.. He's very capable of that..

There a loads of different type of midfielders with different jobs.. When used as in impact sub, his job is to create havoc in the opponents box and give us goals.. He's very capable of that..
If he's so good why isn't anyone paying for him then?

If he's so good why isn't anyone paying for him then?

What a childish simple response...?!

Who says he's SO good? He is a very limited central midfielder for a ballplaying team, but as an impact us he can bring something to the pitch for us no-one else in our current squad can.. If he is only used in that way, he can win us 4-6 points next year, just by his attitude/energy/force/intuition of being on the right place in the right time..

Im very sure Man Utd would never buy him if he was elsewhere, but if he is already in your squad and there are no satisfactory incoming offers, we should keep him and use him to his strengths.. If buying another impact sub would cost us more than Scottie would bring in, we should keep him.. Especially since there is nothing someone can say about his mentality/attitude and that he gives everything for the shirt..

That's debatable, Tom Cleverley racked up 55 apps in basically 3 seasons of senior football here, and landed in the Championship a few years after leaving. He probably would have comparable appearances to McT had he stayed for 6 or 7 seasons.

PL quality is a pretty dubious term, Roy Keane played for a relegated Forest before becoming the best midfielder in the league, just playing for this Utd by virtue of being a youth product doesnt make you a quality player.

None of that logic works though?

He only got 55 games here because he wasn’t good enough and we sold him. He then went on to make hundreds of appearances, more in the lower PL and many in the top of the Championship.

You can’t discount the fact that Scott remained a viable option for far longer than Cleverley. It’s not as if we were an incredible team when he left either.

What would MCT think if he saw this thread? I genuinely wonder if he thinks he is United quality. I mean it’s obvious to us fans he isn’t despite having a knack for scoring as an impact sub.

What would MCT think if he saw this thread? I genuinely wonder if he thinks he is United quality. I mean it’s obvious to us fans he isn’t despite having a knack for scoring as an impact sub.
"I'll get paid 75k/wk for two more seasons while these morons with too much time on their hands debate to death whether I am mediocre or useful. Lol"

*As he take another puff from his cuban*

McTominay is an established international with 250 club games. If 35m gets you a potentially injured homegrown player wouldn't the established part get a much higher fee.

We did this last year with Lavia and Palmer. If they are worth 50m, surely a much more established McTominay was worth 40m+. But no one offered that much.

The thing is, highly rated young players go for more money than establishment average players. It has always been like that. That’s why we spent 50m or so in Yoro who is completely unproven, when instead we could have bought many mediocre EPL established CBs for half that.

So no, some club offering 35m or 50m to a very rated young player doesn’t mean that McTominay is also gonna be sold for that.

I dont remember us ever activating the option in the summer its always some time during the season.
Doesn’t make sense to really. If the buying club don’t want to pay the same wage, we would have to cover two years of difference, rather than one.

Hopefully if we sign another midfielder McTominay should move on. Ive no ill will towards him like some, just think its best that he goes and makes sure he’s playing first team football in his prime years. Mad that he’ll be the wrong side of 30 in 2.5 years.

i struggle to understand sometimes how the likes of Gomes didn't get a look in and even Garner to a certain extent but this lad has out stayed the likes of Pogba, Herrera, Matic, Mata, Lingard etc its absolutely baffling

Ability wise he is probably the worst academy lad i have seen come through, he doesn't possess anything other than physical attributes. If he was at any other team in the league we wouldnt ever look at bringing him in.

The whole " his goals are invaluable" do people even watch the games ? we get over run in midfield nearly every week because we try an accommodate him into the team. he would NEVER have got a look in during the SAF era, and people who have comparing him to the likes of a Park, O'shea, Fletcher dont know what they are talking about.

I personally feel the club getting rid of him would be the biggest indication of change, its one thing getting rid of over paid players but these lads were initially brought on merit based on football ability.

Are we still talking about McTom here? I have never seen anything that would have made me say "damn, he really brought some energy". Some of the things, people say about him, seem to originate from some former times, energy and physique - both are wildly overstated because he only is able to make of his physique against opponents who are 2 levels below him, even against JWP he loses half of his 50-50s. He is tall and has a decent knack for arriving in the box at the right time. Thats about it. I guess the reason some fans are bigging up his impact is that they compare him with the rest of the Man United midfield, which really is not a good idea because the average level is so low. Haven't had a real midfielder for ages, only with Mainoo and Amrabat. And even with them, one is an inexperienced kid and the other is a bit shit all things considered (or just a mismatch in this league).

Player has been a good servant to us, not his fault, that the team is at the bottom for such a long time. He should still be angling for a move that gives him regular gametime. And I don't see that with us - because I can't see any gameplan that isn't set up for failure with him in the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.