Matthijs de Ligt / signs for Juventus, lowering their average age to 56

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are not offering £350k a week for him.
Probably so but I didn't get why it was so absurd it required a laughing emoji when we've got an attacker who scored 1 goal last season on more than that and a centre back in Marcos Rojo who is on 160k a week and yet played four league games. It's not like it would be out of character for United to offer so much.

We've got the second highest wage bill in world football, it's hardly inconceivable that we would offer such a ludicrous amount to a 19 year old based on our track record.
Its not inconceivable at all. Its what his transfer value correlates to more or less.
I have no problem if the club decides to pay 350k for De Ligt. His transfer value will not depreciate, it will probably even go up and then just that will compensate for the wages. To take an example: If we sold Pogba today we would probably make money on him even considering the wages we have been paying him.
I have no problem with paying young players high wages that correlate to their transfer value. We should do that. What we should not do is pay old players like Sanchez whose transfer value almost is negative the kind of wages that we do.

Say this happens and we get a 19 year old on astronomical wages. Then say he flops. What did we learn from the past years of bad financial choices?

Nowt.

I think the AS article is citing what Simon Mullock wrote in the Mirror a few days back.

Say this happens and we get a 19 year old on astronomical wages. Then say he flops. What did we learn from the past years of bad financial choices?

Nowt.
Anyone can flop. The fact is, if we don't pay high wages, we aren't going to get the players we need, so it's a chance we have to take. We are one of the wealthiest clubs in the world. Woodward can worry about the financial side of things. All I'm concerned with is getting the right players on the pitch so I can actually enjoy a football season for a change.

Lads, give it one day, it will be one million/week soon
This is Barca propaganda at its best, everything including ‘De Ligt is crazy to play for Barca’ to the 400k a week contract. They can’t stand a player saying no to them, they just can’t.

Probably so but I didn't get why it was so absurd it required a laughing emoji when we've got an attacker who scored 1 goal last season on more than that and a centre back in Marcos Rojo who is on 160k a week and yet played four league games. It's not like it would be out of character for United to offer so much.
I really don't know where do you get these figures from. You should read less of dailymail.

Absolutely no way is Rojo at 160k per week. Month maybe.

£400k a week would be a joke. Haven't we learned from the Sanchez fiasco?

Salary alone was not the problem with Sanchez. With him it was several factors:
1) terrible season with Arsenal and Chile
2) aging legs
3) solitary personality that was already suspect at Arse
4) injuries starting to add up

That he then brought all of that too United then meant his extraordinary salary became an issue. If he came in, scored 40 goals and brought the team together like a leader, I doubt it would have been as detrimental.

Ligt is:
1) born leader
2) coming off a tremendous season
3) best years ahead of him

Whether his salary causes disruption may be less likely in this case. Especially if he performs.

Anyone can flop. The fact is, if we don't pay high wages, we aren't going to get the players we need, so it's a chance we have to take. We are one of the wealthiest clubs in the world. Woodward can worry about the financial side of things. All I'm concerned with is getting the right players on the pitch so I can actually enjoy a football season for a change.
I have PTSD from Di Maria, Sanchez, Phil Jones & Captain Young renewed contracts etc

Some rumours picking up today originating from Paris United, that PSG wants to revenge the Frenkie loss by getting De Ligt.

£400k a week would be a joke. Haven't we learned from the Sanchez fiasco?
I mean if we want the top talents that’s what we have to do. We aren’t going to convince a player to come to us over Barcelona any other way at this moment in time.

Gerard Romero just said Barca open negotiation with PSG to bring Neymar back. How on earth can they afford Neymar ridiculous wages and increase their offer to De Ligt?

Barca are not gonna increase their offer and I can imagine they will ask De Ligt who doesn’t like to play with Neymar and Messi. Here’s the chance and you take it or not?

I mean if we want the top talents that’s what we have to do. We aren’t going to convince a player to come to us over Barcelona any other way at this moment in time.

I don't think you need to go as far as £400k a week though.

Not that the report is true of course.

No it doesn't pain me one bit. They finished comfortably below us last season and we won more than them over the last 3 seasons too. Yeah they have had a very good season, but one good season doesn't mean they are in the same discussion as Barca, Bayern or Madrid or heck even City.

They were two very good seasons actually. They did't win the UCL the year before because Salah got KO'd and the infamous Karius meltdown. And they finished one point below City, reaching the UCL final again. To claim they are not one of the best clubs in the world right now is insane.

If Barca miss out on the player then they'll surely engage in some PR nonsense to save face.

I'm glad we're forcing them into paying way more than they'd like for De Ligt, both Barca and Madrid have had it way to easy just picking up the best players in the worlds for the last 20 years. New TV deal is a game changer and we can challenge them for any player financially.

Who gives a dusty feck how we pay him. It’s not coming out of my salary. Get the lad on the plane and bringing him from wherever the hell he is.

Christ please don't tell me that. Rojo earns more than anyone in the Spurs squad bar Harry Kane. Its an abomination. He shouldnt be paid more than 65k. No wonder eveyone tries to fleece us (or use us) in the transfer market.... we are completely clueless.

And Sanchez has 1 goal in 20 PL matches. I mean you couldnt make this up. I know that is worse than anyone could guss but I am sorry it was pretty clear he was on a steep decline at Arsenal.

Who gives a dusty feck how we pay him. It’s not coming out of my salary. Get the lad on the plane and bringing him from wherever the hell he is.

I never got this broad stroke logic when creating a team.

Although at the same time, I think De Ligt is worth £250-300k a week anyway.

Yup.

As long as we pay for the best talents, and I mean the creme de la creme, brilliant. It’ll put us in a great position for years and years to come and United should be the number one place for these talents to come and realize their full potential.
Much better that than the money going off to the owners.

:lol: 350k, yeah fecking right. I bet they’re just saying that to pretend they’ve offered half of that. When in reality they’ve probably offered him a third of it.

I personally think it does matter. 150GBP is more than enough for a player at this stage of his career. Regarding transfer fee we should make a good offer to secure a long term talent. We are hoping for more than just a squad member at this stage. And finally get the overpaid mediocrity off our books.

Status
Not open for further replies.