Matthijs de Ligt / signs for Juventus, lowering their average age to 56

Status
Not open for further replies.
A complete no brainer signing for us really. So naturally he will be at Madrid/Barca/Juve next season

Yes I am pretty sure he will end up at Barcelona and they will start calling him the new Koeman even though he is nothing like him as a player

Yes I am pretty sure he will end up at Barcelona and they will start calling him the new Koeman even though he is nothing like him as a player

I actually saw De Ligt compared to Koeman quite a bit when he was around 14 tbh

Could have done with him yesterday. At least he can fecking head the ball.

Source is someone from Catalan Radio which is a solid source usually.

feck. :( I think Zidane might go for Koulibaly to replace Ramos. In that case we go with what we've got IMO, none of the others are worth wasting money on, Smalling and Lindelof to be the starters, try and get Bailly polished up and bring back Axel.

feck. :( I think Zidane might go for Koulibaly to replace Ramos. In that case we go with what we've got IMO, none of the others are worth wasting money on, Smalling and Lindelof to be the starters, try and get Bailly polished up and bring back Axel.

We could still sign a talented CB to replace Rojo. Tuanzebe is another one, who's more comfortable on the right and there are plenty of other talented CBs around, who are more comfortable on the left.

Would still gladly take Skriniar, would probably cost the same as De Ligt.

We could still sign a talented CB to replace Rojo. Tuanzebe is another one, who's more comfortable on the right and there are plenty of other talented CBs around, who are more comfortable on the left.

Jones has been playing LCB when fit and Axel is young enough to learn, I just think if we are only bringing in 2 or 3 players then a CB isn't worty it if we aren't getting a true world beater that betters what we have.

Would still gladly take Skriniar, would probably cost the same as De Ligt.

When we started getting linked to him I started watching Inter games when I got the chance, he's not mobile enough and too flat footed, Serie A is the perfect league for him.

I'd personally sign Milenkovic from Fiorentina or even Joachim Andersen from Sampdoria.
Milenkovic has the potential to be a monster in the air and the rest of his game stacks up too.

I'd personally sign Milenkovic from Fiorentina or even Joachim Andersen from Sampdoria.
Milenkovic has the potential to be a monster in the air and the rest of his game stacks up too.

I wish I could have had a bet on this post happening within the 15 minutes of the de Ligt story. :D ;)

Jones has been playing LCB when fit and Axel is young enough to learn, I just think if we are only bringing in 2 or 3 players then a CB isn't worty it if we aren't getting a true world beater that betters what we have.

And he's injured again. He just signed his contract, so congrats to him, I guess, but he's exactly the sort of player, we should be more ruthless with. And it's not because I think he's a poor player, it's that he isn't reliable enough. I'd much rather see Tuanzebe take his place and bring in a new CB for Rojo.

Andersen makes more sense.

And he's injured again. He just signed his contract, so congrats to him, I guess, but he's exactly the sort of player, we should be more ruthless with. And it's not because I think he's a poor player, it's that he isn't reliable enough. I'd much rather see Tuanzebe take his place and bring in a new CB for Rojo.

Actually he's ill, not injured as far as I know, and we just signed him to 5 years, him, Bailly, Smalling, Lindelof and Axel is 5 CB's, we don't need a 6th and for what's out there I wouldn't sell Bailly to bring any of them in, I'd hope we can coach him up.

No De Ligt or Koulibaly = Milenkovic..:D

For me it's No De Ligt or Koulibaly = Save the money and get Bailly and Axel coached up. :)

Actually he's ill, not injured as far as I know, and we just signed him to 5 years, him, Bailly, Smalling, Lindelof and Axel is 5 CB's, we don't need a 6th and for what's out there I wouldn't sell Bailly to bring any of them in, I'd hope we can coach him up.

For me it's No De Ligt or Koulibaly = Save the money and get Bailly and Axel coached up. :)

Fair enough, doesn't really change that he's unreliable though. All of them are more comfortable on the right. Tuanzebe might need another loan as well.

Fair enough, doesn't really change that he's unreliable though. All of them are more comfortable on the right. Tuanzebe might need another loan as well.

I would never have given Jones a new contract but we did and it's a long one, so regardless he has to be factored in, and I feel if we can get McTominay to the point of being a useful squad player then this coaching staff are capable of getting Axel up to that as well next season. I just look at the liklihood of us only signing 3 players and don't want us wasting money on just another body that isn't good enough to oust Chris Smalling or a RB that offers zero in the final 3rd, we have to be wise IMO.

I would never have given Jones a new contract but we did and it's a long one, so regardless he has to be factored in, and I feel if we can get McTominay to the point of being a useful squad player then this coaching staff are capable of getting Axel up to that as well next season. I just look at the liklihood of us only signing 3 players and don't want us wasting money on just another body that isn't good enough to oust Chris Smalling or a RB that offers zero in the final 3rd, we have to be wise IMO.

Is it wasting if we are trying to sign another talented CB? As I said, there are plenty around and we should be trying to secure one of them, he wouldn't need to start with Lindelof and Smalling as the preferred pairing for now.

I'd be fine with that too I guess, as long as the extra funds were then made available for other positions.

Milenkovic v Lazio

55 passes and didn't lose the ball once. Won all his duels too in a 1-1 draw v Lazio.

Is it wasting if we are trying to sign another talented CB? As I said, there are plenty around and we should be trying to secure one of them, he wouldn't need to start with Lindelof and Smalling as the preferred pairing for now.

It's wasting money when we are only bringing 3 players in tops, and we already have our own talented young CB we could coach up, no point in bringing in anyone that can't improve our starting CB situation which will never be a PL challenging combo. The 3 we bring in need to make the startng 11 better, we have quantity over quality already.

Last edited:
I'd be fine with that too I guess, as long as the extra funds were then made available for other positions.

Milenkovic v Lazio

55 passes and didn't lose the ball once. Won all his duels too in a 1-1 draw v Lazio.

I've seen him play mate, I know he's decent but Serie A is a different type of league to the PL and he's in the same age bracket as Axel who I'd prefer we gave a season chance to as IMO Milenkovic, Manolas and any of the other lower tier options that are mentioned wont displace Smalling as much shit as he gets on here at times, he's a seasoned PL defender that is used to the league, we saw with Lindelof it takes time to adapt, I'd rather we tried to adapt Axel than a CB of the same age from somewhere else.

As for the funds being plowed elsewhere, DM and that false 9/#10 spot is where I'd focus all the cash now if we take CB off the table, like I said in my post in the "What do we still need?" thread.

It's wasting money when we are only bringing 3 players in tops, and we already have our own talented young CB we could coach up, no point in bringing in ayone that can't improve our starting CB situation which will never be a PL challenging combo. The 3 we bring in need to make the startng 11 better, we have quantity over quality already.

How do we improve our starting CB situation then, if we don't bring in a talented potentially great CB? Wait till eventually another one comes around, who will cost a lot?

How do we improve our starting CB situation then, if we don't bring in a talented potentially great CB? Wait till eventually another one comes around, who will cost a lot?

Yes, and we may have that player already on our books, either way it can wait, there's nothing out there right now beyond those 2 that is going to improve the starting CB situation at the club IMO, so I don't want to waste a transfer slot on some maybe player we need to coach up to the level needed when we can just try that with our own CB who'll be 22 next season.

I've seen him play mate, I know he's decent but Serie A is a different type of league to the PL and he's in the same age bracket as Axel who I'd prefer we gave a season chance to as IMO Milenkovic, Manolas and any of the other lower tier options that are mentioned wont displace Smalling as much shit as he gets on here at times, he's a seasoned PL defender that is used to the league, we saw with Lindelof it takes time to adapt, I'd rather we tried to adapt Axel than a CB of the same age from somewhere else.

As for the funds being plowed elsewhere, DM and that false 9/#10 spot is where I'd focus all the cash now if we take CB off the table, like I said in my post in the "What do we still need?" thread.
I think we should still sign a CB, even if the obvious ones are taken by other clubs. Smalling is our only CB that is dominant in the air. We could really do with someone who is a alternative to Smalling in that regard. Axel i'm confident will do well and might even surprise alot of people.

I'm sure there's other CB's that can be bought too, but I think we should bring someone in. Wether that be a experienced option or a hot prospect.

I think we should still sign a CB, even if the obvious ones are taken by other clubs. Smalling is our only CB that is dominant in the air. We could really do with someone who is a alternative to Smalling in that regard. Axel i'm confident will do well and might even surprise alot of people.

I'm sure there's other CB's that can be bought too, but I think we should bring someone in. Wether that be a experienced option or a hot prospect.

Fair enough but I disagree, I'm not interested in buying anyone this summer that can't improve the starting 11, and we've seen Lindelof's heading improve, there's no reason IMO that a big, athletic lad like Axel can't have that part of his game coached up. To me the Axel vs Milenkovic/Andersen debate is like Dalot vs Wan-Bissaka, I just don't see the point in buying players in the same age bracket that still need developing when we haven't developed what we already have yet, Dalot has only been here a season and Axel has not had a proper full season here and of course not with Ole and the current staff. To me this summer should be about getting a Rodri to upgrade Matic and a Dybala or Eriksen to upgrade Lingard, not sideways moves for more squad players.

Fair enough but I disagree, I'm not interested in buying anyone this summer that can't improve the starting 11, and we've seen Lindelof's heading improve, there's no reason IMO that a big, athletic lad like Axel can't have that part of his game coached up. To me the Axel vs Milenkovic/Andersen debate is like Dalot vs Wan-Bissaka, I just don't see the point in buying players in the same age bracket that still need developing when we haven't developed what we already have yet, Dalot has only been here a season and Axel has not had a proper full season here and of course not with Ole and the current staff. To me this summer should be about getting a Rodri to upgrade Matic and a Dybala or Eriksen to upgrade Lingard, not sideways moves for more squad players.
I doubt we'd be able to get Rodri, but if we did, I'd be very happy with us not signing a CB. But I don't see him leaving anytime soon.

De Ligt is special and I'd love to see us getting him. Having said that there's many CBs that are better then the likes of Jones or Rojo. I'd take Milenkovic and Joachim Anderson which would sort the RB and CB roles.

For 70 mill Euros he's a steal. CB position sorted for a decade plus.

The amount of money Barca has spent is ridiculous. 110 rising to 140 for Coutinho, 110 rising to 160 for Dembele, 70 for De Jong and now 70 for De Ligt, plus all those 30-40 mill deals like that Sevilla CB, Arthur and others. But they have a very good pool of youngsters now, Dembele, De Jong, De Ligt and Arthur have the potential to be best in their position.

We are not bad as we have Rash, Martial, Lindelof who can all become very good players but none of them are as talented as the Barca youngsters.

Source is someone from Catalan Radio which is a solid source usually.

Hardly a surprise if true. I am surprised some staying stick with what we have if De Ligt or Koulibaily are not available. Jones shoulodnt have got a new contract, Bailly just seems to have gone backwards after a good start (ironically like JOnes had). Lindelof has been playing well but to me still look nothing other than average, not convinced by him as a starter. Smalling is STILL out best centre back.

For me that is soething seriously needs addressing, surely there are a lot of other really good centre backs for us to go for, see us linked with the yougn Benfica centre back that I havent seen play, Upemecano looked very good whenever I saw him. For e centre back is still our priority signing as we may have numbers (which we should be cutting) but we still dont have one real quality player there at all

We should've bought him after the Europa League final. The potential was there for all to see.

Barca with a CB partnership of Lenglet and De Ligt will be incredible, and that's without mentioning Umtiti.

We should've bought him after the Europa League final. The potential was there for all to see.

Barca with a CB partnership of Lenglet and De Ligt will be incredible, and that's without mentioning Umtiti.

Even these two would have been good purchases and were available, I don't know why we didn't go for them at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.