Mats Møller Dæhli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cleverley for one - he certainly wasn't a big star at youth level.

But I am actually worrying more about how many players at youth level who fails to progress at United. There simply are too many of them for my liking. Either we are getting the wrong players or we are treating them wrong.

I think the main problem is their impatience. Kids these days see players breaking through at 17/18/19 at other clubs and think they should be too. Perhaps if these players were at other clubs then they would be but they need to realise that you can't just break into our first team at such a young age unless you're exceptionally talented.

Morrison could have done, Pogba was on the verge of doing so, but I think Januzaj will be our first youngster in a long time to just break through into our first team next season (I hope).

One of top 5 prospects you say. When did the 3rd best player last make it to the first team? Being in the top 5 hasn't been good enough for a long long time.

We see these types of threads every year and every time a lot of people are disappointed at the club for selling a talent yet that talent never comes back to bite the club in the ass.

How much money has Molde to splurge on players anyways? Who are their backers?

I think they're backed by Aker. Plenty cash there.

I think the problem is more that young players are very impatient these days. It's very rare that an 18/19 year old is good enough to play regularly for United so they need to go the Cleverley/ Welbeck route of working your way up through loan spells, hard work and patience.. There's also a stupid rule limiting the contract length to less than 2 years (if I remember correctly) if it was signed when they were under 18 years old, meaning that the player has more power to force a move by refusing to renew. That means these very talented players who think they should be getting first team opportunities can leave with the club being over a barrel really.

Why is that rule stupid? I think it makes some sense. Tying someone up at that age can be frustrating for a young player and it's not like they're mature enough to make those decisions when they're 16.

Why is that rule stupid? I think it makes some sense. Tying someone up at that age can be frustrating for a young player and it's not like they're mature enough to make those decisions when they're 16.

Because at 18/19 they should be focused on working hard in training or going out on loan and playing well to impress the manager and earn their way into first team contention, not using their contract situation to try and blackmail the clubs into playing them because they deserve it due to their talent. At 18/19 some players aren't mature enough to accept that they aren't in the first team on merit, as you put it they 'get frustrated'- that isn't always the club's fault- they are just immature, as well they can be easily manipulated and preyed upon by exploitative agents looking for a pay day.

I call racism. Eikrem, Hussain, King and Dæhli all have been shipped off in the last few years. Obviously the United-staff are anti-Norwegians, all of them.

fecking gutted about this though. He's been by far my favorite to come through the academy in recent years, and somehow mis-used in the academy to let lesser talented players play in his position. He was put on the wings just because he is very capable there, and to make room for other players in midfield. According to reports in Norway, United tried to convince him to stay though and this is all the players decision. I guess it makes sense for him though, but he's never expressed anything other but joy about his situation in Manchester, and has even encouraged other youngsters to go abroad at an early age.

It would make sense if he's coming back in a few years, and stays in Molde for the next year or two to play for Ole, then hopefully we'll bring him back when Ole changes clubs. I enjoyed Eikrem a lot when he was here, probably more than most others on this forum, but I strongly believ that Mats is (will be) atleast twice the player Magnus is. If we dont bring him back within a few years, or atleast try to do so, I would say it's a huge loss for the club. Probably more so than if we lost any other of the academy-players.

Well - we have done very little right so far in this transfer window. I just hope this is him wanting to leave - because otherwise it is just an insane decision as he is probably the 2nd most talented attacking midfielder we have at his level

"Done very little right so far.."

What te feck?

Seriously. Buy a life if you can't get one

Considering King and Eikrem are one of the biggest talents we got in Norway... No

:(

It's just ever so slightly sad. To think we once compared Carew and Ibra as far as talent goes - just goes to show how desperate we are for a world class player on this piece of rock we live on, albeit a nice piece of rock all things said and done. :)

"Done very little right so far.."

What te feck?

Seriously. Buy a life if you can't get one
Let us Norwegians mourn on such a day.

fecking gutted that Mats decided to leave, I'm sure the club could've sorted out a loan if he was so desperate to return to Norway..

One of top 5 prospects you say. When did the 3rd best player last make it to the first team? Being in the top 5 hasn't been good enough for a long long time.

We see these types of threads every year and every time a lot of people are disappointed at the club for selling a talent yet that talent never comes back to bite the club in the ass.

How much money has Molde to splurge on players anyways? Who are their backers?

Bear in mind that I mean top 5 talents in the U18s and U21s.

And of course that, as I said, I personally rate him as the best prospect we have, and indeed the best I have seen at United (that includes Pogba, Morrison, Cleverley, Welbeck etc)

Also as you said, very few make it into the first team, but that doesn't mean it isn't a strange decision to let one of the very best go before he's even got to the stage where he should be trying to get chances in the first team.

Even if there is a buyback option, how many of those do we activate? We'll be looking elsewhere

Sad. I thought he'd have made it here.

As a fellow Norwegian (?), watching our national side and Tippeligaen, can you blame them? :lol:
It's just ever so slightly sad. To think we once compared Carew and Ibra as far as talent goes - just goes to show how desperate we are for a world class player on this piece of rock we live on, albeit a nice piece of rock all things said and done. :)
I know it's in vogue for Noggies to bash Noggieball, but these are pretty daft posts when we've just proved to have one of the top European U21 sides out there, don't you think? Our NT might be shite, but the future looks alright.

Shame to see him go, I thought he was a decent prospect. Would have prefered to have him go on loan and see how he handled it.

Oh well. At least there was probably a decent sell on / buy back clause.

Cleverley for one - he certainly wasn't a big star at youth level.

But I am actually worrying more about how many players at youth level who fails to progress at United. There simply are too many of them for my liking. Either we are getting the wrong players or we are treating them wrong.
There are a combination of factors at play here.
1.) Impatience
2.) Level between youth and first-team football- Let me tell you, it's certainly not shrinking
3.) Level of training - compared to some of our European counterparts, we don't have enough time with these lads
4.) Disbanding of 90 minute rule- I would argue that was quite a setback
5.) Contracts/Agents - These lads can be badly advised at a young age. Why do you think Tom was willing to go on loan more than once just to get a chance in our first team? I doubt he had an agent who told him to be patient!
6.) Youth football infrastructure - I think progress is being made in youth football in general but as a country, we are still quite behind.

Are we getting the wrong players? Certainly not. We have to remember how difficult it is for youth players to make into the first team. Their development does not follow a linear trajectory. Well at least in most cases it doesn't.

Are we treating them wrong? This is quite a debatable position. It's quite hard to say without knowing how we actually treat the players. We see how they are used in the team. Were we wrong to consistently play Mats on the wing? I cannot say. Cleverley played as a LB before moving further upfield and I think it did him some good. There isn't anything wrong in moving players around for the sake of their development. Perhaps you can overdo it but how do know when you have or if they need more experience in a different position? This is why applying a concept in practical terms can be non-trivial.

Pearson :D

PS- to the above debate, ~40% of those that get scholarships will be offered a contract...then ~20% of those, by the time they are 21, will be playing professionally.

Very strange given how highly people seemed to rate him.

Is our youth system not working as well as it should? For a club that's invested so much time and effort into its youth system and puts so much emphasis on young players, and to be fair, has a history of bringing them through successfully, are we producing enough "gems"?

Bear in mind that I mean top 5 talents in the U18s and U21s.

And of course that, as I said, I personally rate him as the best prospect we have, and indeed the best I have seen at United (that includes Pogba, Morrison, Cleverley, Welbeck etc)

Also as you said, very few make it into the first team, but that doesn't mean it isn't a strange decision to let one of the very best go before he's even got to the stage where he should be trying to get chances in the first team.

Football is about more than what you can do with the ball at your feet. You need a good head on you as well. Something is clearly wrong with him if he's sold and supposedly more talented than Pogba, Cleverley or Welbeck. I don't know how you can rate him higher than Pogba. Pogba is a first team regular in one of the best midfields in the world. He's got two caps for France. And he's two years older than Dæhli. Pogba is an excellent talent and really the only young player that I can remember that "got away". To Dæhli higher than Pogba would be like letting Giggs go at 18. We haven't had many players better than Pogba in the last 20 years.

If Dæhli wouldn't want to leave himself then he probably wouldn't be gone. Not if he has more than a year left on his contract. A loan would have been obvious. If he wanted to go home for some reason and was that desperate that he'd go as far to ask to be sold home then you've got your weakness right there. He wouldn't be the first talent not to make it properly because of a frail mind. Far from it.

Disappointed :(
One of the few I thought had a really good chance of making it into our first team at some point. Lovely little player to watch.

Its quite a confusing transfer and seems to be last minute and out of the blue. I'm sure Ole will look after him though and hopefully he continues to develop well at Molde, first team football at this stage can't be a bad thing. As optimistic as I am, it's hard to see us going back in for him, Moyes probably won't be as likely to track his progression as Fergie would have.

some of these posts are mad - maybe the lad wanted to accelerate the opportunity to play football and not spend years out on loan? nothing "wrong" with him or his decision. so what? you can't expect every 15/16 year old kid brought in from abroad to adjust and adapt to their new surroundings. layer in his short-to-long term view on pathway and opportunity and it made the most sense for him to head to Molde.

as for the accusations that there's something inherently wrong with the academy. laughable.

I know that regular first team football can do wonders in terms of development, but I'm curious about how much better the Norwegian league is compared to United reserve team football. King went almost straight from United reserve team football to become almost a regular starter for the national team. Eikrem became one of the best players in Tippeligaen almost immediately after he came to Molde. Surely this must mean that in terms of quality, Tippeligaen is a step down?

I can understand his decision though. He's still young and will probably be a sensation in Tippeligaen. If he does well, he'll be playing for a decent Dutch or German side within 2-3 years. That's the right way to go.

Well, he never really gave it everything in United. Mats can't look at himself and say "I gave 100% in my time with United", he quits after u18 football. That's not good enough..
When you get the chance in United, you must give absolutely everything and dedicate yourself to the task of breaking through. He honestly can't say that..

And no, he was nowhere near good enough to demand first-team football last season.. Weird decision by him.!

Less than 1% chance of him being sold this summer.

:lol::lol:

Ole is still there isn't he?? It's ok people :D\

And no, he was nowhere near good enough to demand first-team football last season.. Weird decision by him.!

So why is he not allowed to go somewhere that will guarantee him a personal shot at the first team and establishing himself as a player? You can't tell me that United are not monitoring Eikrem and King in the event that they mature and are ripe to bring back to the club.

:wenger: let the lad develop for Molde in his own way and in his own environment.

Well, he never really gave it everything in United. Mats can't look at himself and say "I gave 100% in my time with United", he quits after u18 football. That's not good enough..
When you get the chance in United, you must give absolutely everything and dedicate yourself to the task of breaking through. He honestly can't say that..

Weird post. First of all, Mats definitely didn't expect to get first team football already. He's not that arrogant and stupid. I know one of his close friends, and based on what I've heard, he works harder than everyone. His father is also very old-school, and leaves no room whatsoever for arrogance and individualism. It's all about hard work and teamplay in that family.

How many players from United's youth team have managed to break through and become a first team regular in the last 10 years? Almost none! It's therefore much better for him to start his professional career now, before it's too late. If he does well in Molde, then he'll be playing for a decent European team 3 years from now. That way, he'll develop faster and get to prove that he can play on top level. If he truly becomes a great player, then he'll definitely go back to United anyways.

Spending time in the youth/reserve team gives you a good foundation, but it's definitely not the way to go if you want to become a top player.

This transfer has 'Solskjær' and 'Eikrem' written all over it.

Dæhli will get the number 7 shirt from Eikrem, and is likely to start playing regular first team football almost immediately for the team that has won the league twice in a row, with possibly the biggest Norwegian name in history as the coach. Obviously that's tempting for a player who's just turned 18! Especially when we look at Eikrem's progress. 2 years ago, at age 21, he was "nothing". Now he's the biggest Norwegian profile around his age, has 2 Tippeliga trophies, plays for the national team, and has just signed for a decent Dutch side. If we then keep in mind that Dæhli is 3 years younger than Eikrem was when he made the exact same move, it becomes obvious why the move is tempting and makes sense. At this rate, he'll be playing regular top European football when he's barely turned 20.. If he stayed in United, he'd only get a couple of minutes of first team football, before eventually going out on a Championship loan at the age of 20/21.

I think he made the right choice.

We have a buyback clause according to some Norwegian journalists on Twitter.

This transfer has 'Solskjær' and 'Eikrem' written all over it.

Exactly, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. It's great that he has a chance to form his own football identity and I hope he keeps the club in his heart if he ever wants to return.

The club as put in a buy back clause, that's if the player and United agree to the move.

This thread... lordy.

It's a weird one - don't think there's any point bracketing it with Pogba/Morrison etc leaving, clearly a very different situation. If he's homesick/unsettled it's understandable (to an extent) to want to move back - little surprised a loan couldn't be agreed instead but with the buy-back clause seemingly confirmed, this could essentially just end up being a long-term loan with the benefit of getting what seems to be a pretty decent fee for him now if he then doesn't develop as hoped.

Disappointing, certainly one of the most exciting players to watch in our youth ranks and one of the better prospects but we're pretty well stocked in his position. Hopefully it works out for all parties.

Status
Not open for further replies.