Mason Mount's Many Misfortunes

Baffling signing.
From the tiny amount of times we got him and Bruno together it never looked like it'd work either.

No doubt this is where we start saying he "needs certain players around him" or "needs a functioning system under a new manager".

We've been here before haven't we.

Well, both are true despite you presumably thinking otherwise

Our worst two performances of the season have come with Mason Mount starting as our 10.

We badly needed a new Carrick but spent £60 million on a new Donny. Madness.

It's so weird. He's obviously good at something, he is a premiership player who has played for England loads...and yet, what is he? What does he do? Why did Chelsea sell him to us too?

I don't know. He certainly wasn't what United needed at the time, nor needs now for that money. It's baffling to me and likely always will be.

He is a good player. He is “good” at all of those spots. He could probably put in a shift at fullback if a manager needed (that’s why mgrs love him), but he lacks the physical skills, creativity, technical skills to be elite at any one position.

This gives you a solid rotational piece … that believes he deserved the 7 jersey at United and a massive pay hike … that’s the real issue. HE doesn’t get what he is.

I dont think i noticed he was on the pitch until he passed it straight out of play in about minute 15. Unlike our other signings, this is the one we all saw coming. Has always been a nothing player but somehow keeps getting games wherever he goes.

He's a good system player. We just have a really shite system.

I'm not adding much but precisely what I came here to say. He's the antithesis of Bruno, who is not system orientated in the slightest but will sometimes conjure up something out of his backside, which makes it incredibly baffling that they were considered to be complimentary to each other.

In retrospect, the fact that we paid 50m for him when he was on the last year of his contract is a baffling decision. Along with whoever whom was behind the thought of giving him the number 7 jersey, all of them deserves to be sacked. At times, this club looks like it's being run like a school kid playing football manager ffs.

Chelsea have made some amazing sales. This one tops the list.

Chelsea selling Mason to us for 50-60mil was like Ajax selling Antony to us for 85mil. How do this clubs manage to get so much money for their turds? Other than Ronaldo and Daniel James we have never managed to sell any decent player for good money.

Waste of money again.. EtH has bought 3 players all are useless. Mount , onana and Antony.. .

Chelsea selling Mason to us for 50-60mil was like Ajax selling Antony to us for 85mil. How do this clubs manage to get so much money for their turds? Other than Ronaldo and Daniel James we have never managed to sell any decent player for good money.
D James was better than Antony still is imo.. roll on next season .. get rid of the crap

He's just a fairly run of the mill PL player. Maybe slightly better than average but the problem is he's now at a huge club, one that's misfiring. No part of Mason Mounts skillset is going to move the needle. At best he can be a cog when the team is good, but we need the current players (and incoming signings)to step up to make the team good so it's fairly useless to have a player like him in our current predicament.

Still, we're lumped with him now. We're going to have to at least make an overpriced squad player out of Mason Mount.

I was against signing him, but I feel like everyone is being a tad harsh. I think he can be a success here, he has the work rate and technique. The creativity is probably the thing I see him lacking in, but I also see that a bit of a biproduct of this car crash of a setup/tactics, etc.

I wasn't keen on signing Mount and believe he has a lot to live up to now we have signed him. Injury hasn't helped.

However there is something about him that I do like and hope once he gets going he will be an asset.

When I say something about him it's not just the little glimmers in his play. I think he has a good brain but is not able to carry out what he intends. Rusty if you will. Why I liked was gis attitude even yesterday.

At one point in the first half Monez made a hard tackle on Mainoo. As Monez ran away from Mainoo I noticed Mount ran up to him and chest barged him, to which Monez responded slightly.

Now may will think so what or no need but for me that's what has been missing in our team.

I wasn't keen on signing Mount and believe he has a lot to live up to now we have signed him. Injury hasn't helped.

However there is something about him that I do like and hope once he gets going he will be an asset.

When I say something about him it's not just the little glimmers in his play. I think he has a good brain but is not able to carry out what he intends. Rusty if you will. Why I liked was gis attitude even yesterday.

At one point in the first half Monez made a hard tackle on Mainoo. As Monez ran away from Mainoo I noticed Mount ran up to him and chest barged him, to which Monez responded slightly.

Now may will think so what or no need but for me that's what has been missing in our team.
Agreed, I think he is a proper team player - as in does everything for the good of the team, not himself. Which is not really a characteristic I can attribute to lot of our players.

Before our total collapse against Palace, I thought Mount looked the best player in our side. He was the only one making quick disguised passes and then moving into a position to receive a forward pass, he spread play with quick passes, and looked like he had a plan. By the end of the match none of our players looked like professionals, though.

Before our total collapse against Palace, I thought Mount looked the best player in our side. He was the only one making quick disguised passes and then moving into a position to receive a forward pass, he spread play with quick passes, and looked like he had a plan. By the end of the match none of our players looked like professionals, though.

I was the same. He at least looked like he knew what he was doing before it all went pear shaped.

He's a nothing player. This signing is still as baffling today as it was in the summer. Almost as baffling as giving him the number 7 shirt.

It feels like a textbook corrupt move for some reason. Like Dr. Evil is profiting from this whole saga some how.

You're right, was baffling at the time and still is.

He played a total of 27 passes last night. Roughly half what Bruno averages per match with a lower completion rate. Suffice to say he also created feck all. He’s just a mediocre player and always will be.

Yeah I thought so too. As I said above some of what he tried didn't go as planned and for new that's just lack of game time and dare I say players around him.

The issue I have, and this may set the cat amongst the pigeons, is that I have seen signings at MU as this type of player. Play in more than one position and let the ball do the work, as you have said passes and movement.

I think DVB and Sancho are these kind of players too and so is Antony. However we had Marcus and dare I say Bruno and Garnacho who are not really that type of player. They are the movement rather than the ball, if that makes sense.

I do think a Sancho, Mount, Antony and DVB and Martial in the same squad would have been a different game from us and imo more possession and quick movement.

I think Ole and EtH want that type of player. But they can't just start with 10 new players. They have to make them work with likes of Ronaldo and Marcus etc.

That is like being proud about winning biggest dick at the small dick convention!