View full 2023-24 profile

4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looked good against a team that offered very little going forward. Still don't know how he fits in against a semi decent team

the last sentence…. Didnt we all know after Antony? ETH should be nowehre close to Recruitment and this comes from a person who still has some faith in ETH
I still think he's the right coach but he obviously shouldnt be choosing players. I dont even think that was part of his role at Ajax.

To be honest I feel like he's Donny Van De Beek mark 2. He'd look better if we were a pressing team but we're not, so like Van De Beek, he just doesn't do a whole lot.
But our aim is to be a team that presses, if you don't buy players capable of it you'll never meet the aim

Interesting to know why EtH didn't even trust him to start against Luton. At home.

Came on yesterday and added some urgency to our attack but he wasn’t great or anything. Probably played a part in the goal but he was incredibly high up the pitch. Not sure why he’s not starting at this point though.
Don't fix what ain't broken.
He (the team) works better coming off the bench against tiring opponents.
There's no guarantee when he starts, he will recreate the same performance.
Play him similarly a couple of times while gradually increasing his minutes to build some form.
After stringing a few wins together, the team will be in better position to have new starting lineup.
Be pragmatic, that's what I'd do if I were Erik

Play him similarly a couple of times while gradually increasing his minutes to build some form.
After stringing a few wins together, the team will be in better position to have new starting lineup.

The injury to Eriksen means that we will probably have to start him now though.

Staggered he hasn't been given a proper go on the right wing.

I still think he has a lot to give, especially against good teams when we won't have the majority of possession.

Still a baffling signing - especially for £60m when funds were tight and an actual central midfielder was required.

Staggered he hasn't been given a proper go on the right wing.

I still think he has a lot to give, especially against good teams when we won't have the majority of possession.

Still a baffling signing - especially for £60m when funds were tight and an actual central midfielder was required.
He’d be woeful there. Putting a midfielder in a front three that’s bereft of goals is not a solution to anything.

He’d be woeful there. Putting a midfielder in a front three that’s bereft of goals is not a solution to anything.
His better performances for Chelsea have been there, much more than CM.

His crossing and the fact he's right footed would also benefit Hojlund greatly imo.

His better performances for Chelsea have been there, much more than CM.

His crossing and the fact he's right footed would also benefit Hojlund greatly imo.
Didn’t he play on more on the left for Chelsea? And I thought his best performances for Chelsea came from behind the striker.
Either way, even if he can rack up a few assists from the wing, his general play doesn’t suit that role for us imo. We lack width already, he’ll only add to that issue. He’s also not a good ball carrier. Putting him on the right will effectively just be asking him to spam crosses which I don’t think will get the best out of our other attackers.

Didn’t he play on more on the left for Chelsea? And I thought his best performances for Chelsea came from behind the striker.
Either way, even if he can rack up a few assists from the wing, his general play doesn’t suit that role for us imo. We lack width already, he’ll only add to that issue. He’s also not a good ball carrier. Putting him on the right will effectively just be asking him to spam crosses which I don’t think will get the best out of our other attackers.
That would be news to me - feck me we love a left winger :lol:

I get your point about spamming crosses, although I feel like we don't cross enough currently... a middle ground would be nice here!

Sounds like you're describing Garnacho there!

Just can't see what he brings to the team
he looks like a very poor signing, not what we needed at all.

I actually think he’s a very very good ball carrier but needs to be played closer to the front. I see him becoming something like a Bernardo or David Silva. A playmaker that plays on the wings, who will drive into the middle and make little passes or take shots. We saw a little bit of this against Luton.

I rate him but not sure where he fits in.Has to be 10 with Bruno deeper imo.

That would be news to me - feck me we love a left winger :lol:

I get your point about spamming crosses, although I feel like we don't cross enough currently... a middle ground would be nice here!
That’s true, I would love it if we bought a winger who can cut inside to shoot and go on the outside and cross. Our wing play is so predictable.

Hard to believe he was one of the first names on the England team sheet not long ago.

I actually think he’s a very very good ball carrier but needs to be played closer to the front. I see him becoming something like a Bernardo or David Silva. A playmaker that plays on the wings, who will drive into the middle and make little passes or take shots. We saw a little bit of this against Luton.
I sort of get what you mean but in the same manner, I also have point of disagreement.
Both Bernardo and Silva has the guile and inventiveness when seemingly there's no way through.
Mount is more similar to Gundogan, he makes use of the system and actively participating in the system to exert his impact.
Both can shoots well around the box and ping good passes.
However critically, Gundogan is captain material and plays as such.
I don't see that same kind of mentality in Mount and at this point of time I don't foresee it's going to change.
He can't drive or carry a team, quite the opposite is true.

Feck me :lol:

I think he's actually Fred's replacement, in his couple of good games the main thing he has done is closed people down and won tackles. Theres been 1 game where he made 3 key passes and didnt do much ball winning. I think thats why he's been so frustrating early on though because if he could do both in 1 game then he'd be great. But he's only had a few good games and in them hes only really done 1 thing, either battling and ball winning or linking up with teammates with the ball. He needs to do both. And of course on top of that he had around 4 matches in a row where he didnt have much influence at all and seemed to be too far ahead of the ball, never on it and wasnt effective defensively either. He was just MIA

At 24 and playing in a new way, in a new system where it seems he's being asked to play differently while I know its tempting to write him off because of some terrible performances after his big move, I do think he has shown enough ability in spurts and in the past that he can hopefully adapt to this more of a box to box role and have a lot more consistency being involved on the ball. For all his faults Fred was usually happy to be deep and receive the ball and start moves. I think he needs to start with that

I am willing to give him some time. Very few of our signings were instant hits.

I like his style.

He brings a lot of energy, press high and well.

He has not the eye like Bruno or Eriksen but he his a valuable asset to the team (not 60M).

Since Eriksen is out, I hope that he will play a bit now.

I like his style.

He brings a lot of energy, press high and well.

He has not the eye like Bruno or Eriksen but he his a valuable asset to the team (not 60M).

Since Eriksen is out, I hope that he will play a bit now.
So no other footballing skill than running and pressing.

I rate him but not sure where he fits in.Has to be 10 with Bruno deeper imo.

Agreed, Bruno earned some great praise playing there for spells especially verus 'weaker' teams. When we're struggling in that area anyway I don't know why we haven't revisited it. I suppose it's because it would work better in front of a settled back 4.

Agreed, Bruno earned some great praise playing there for spells especially verus 'weaker' teams. When we're struggling in that area anyway I don't know why we haven't revisited it. I suppose it's because it would work better in front of a settled back 4.
He earns "great praise" here all the time, even for shitty games where he has one good scene when it leads to a goal. It would be crazy to deploy him further back, his biggest strength is creating chances, why would anybody increase the distance between him and the oppo goal? Especially for the reason to put Mount further forward? Bruno is no CM, when will this insanity ever end? He could play there in a tight-knit unit of a team, but not for us.

He earns "great praise" here all the time, even for shitty games where he has one good scene when it leads to a goal. It would be crazy to deploy him further back, his biggest strength is creating chances, why would anybody increase the distance between him and the oppo goal? Especially for the reason to put Mount further forward? Bruno is no CM, when will this insanity ever end? He could play there in a tight-knit unit of a team, but not for us.

Im not talking about here. The Athletic wrote a detailed piece at the time explaining how effective he was there for that spell.

Im not talking about here. The Athletic wrote a detailed piece at the time explaining how effective he was there for that spell.
Probably based on the number of key passes he made and the distance he covered...

I do remember one game he was alright, was it against Everton? Who were bottom of the table or something?

If he's not superior in defending nor attacking, why not partner him with similarly-profiled MF?
Henderson and Wijnaldum was neither here nor there player either.
But both went on to do well on their merit, for what it was the role of supporting Mane, Firmino, Salah trio.
Both player complement and cover each other weakness.
With Casemiro/Amrabat (DM-type) sitting behind them, the setup could actually work.

If he's not superior in defending nor attacking, why not partner him with similarly-profiled MF?
Henderson and Wijnaldum was neither here nor there player either.
But both went on to do well on their merit, for what it was the role of supporting Mane, Firmino, Salah trio.
Both player complement and cover each other weakness.
With Casemiro/Amrabat (DM-type) sitting behind them, the setup could actually work.
Unless you have attackers in front of them of the calibre of Mane, Firmino, Salah that won't work....that relentless pressing on the front foot and quick turnover meant that Henderson and Wijnaldum could excel in doing the 'water carrying'. Unless the entire United attack suddenly decide to up their game by at least 20 percent, the midfielders behind them will just get exposed.

Goldbridge or whatshisname likes to mention his video that United is top at winning ball at opposition half.
I can't see that as not a representation of (at least) more than decent pressing.
More likely, it's the transition that is poor, too ponderous or whatever reasons.
So United is not reaping the full benefit of their labor.
Casemiro/Amrabat-Mount-Mejri/McT might actually work better than whatever combo with Eriksen/Bruno in right now.

Goldbridge or whatshisname likes to mention his video that United is top at winning ball at opposition half.
I can't see that as not a representation of (at least) more than decent pressing.
More likely, it's the transition that is poor, too ponderous or whatever reasons.
So United is not reaping the full benefit of their labor.
Casemiro/Amrabat-Mount-Mejri/McT might actually work better than whatever combo with Eriksen/Bruno in right now.

Or we are so woeful in attack, we surrender possession so easily, which results in a skewed stat.

Status
Not open for further replies.