View full 2023-24 profile

4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another ghostish performance. His work rate is great and runs hard for the team but he seems to be anonymous throughout the game. He doesn't impact it at all, especially when we have the ball. This was another disappearing act from him. Yet he's still better than Eriksen since he at least adds legs and tenacity in midfield.

The 10 outfield players were vomit.

Wouldn't like to put the blame on just one player.

Yep.

I don't really rate Mount as a signing and have been critical of him in pre-season, but today every outfield player was terrible and didn't look fit enough - as per the start of last season - and I don't think Mount was any worse than most the others.

I'll be surprised if he's the solution to Utd's midfield and if someone like Amrabat was brought in I reckon he'd take his place soon enough in key games, but today is tough to draw conclusions from given how sloppy, under-cooked and lacking in coherence everyone was.

Either this, or switch the formation. Can do a diamond in midfield. Or Sancho as a false 9, but can't just playe 4-3-3 with only a single holding midfielder

The diamond is an interesting idea. Not sure if that plays to our strengths though as we'd end up being narrower and our 'wider players' are meant to be our flair players. (Antony, Garnacho, Sancho, Pellistri...Rashford when Rasmus is ready).

Saying that, Antony and Garnacho gave us nothing today.

In 67 minutes he had 30 touches and 17 passes

(Casemiro had 64 touches and 44 passes in 67 minutes)

If Scott McTominay got those numbers he would be accused of "hiding from the ball" and being "scared of the ball".
Mount is another in that mould. The van de Beek, McTominay, Sabitzer build. Ten Hag seems to like central midfielders who don’t want the ball.

I don't want to rash but I don't get it. At the time we brought him I felt ETH got it wrong and I still feel the same. The whole point of buying perm proven player is to little to no settling in time.

Never stood out when played Chelsea, never feared him when we played them and a fair amount of their fans didn't rate.

Let's see how it goes from here. He needs to play much deeper. Also, Bruno got better after he came off

I am always wary of signings where their major remit is "only managers can appreciate what he brings to the pitch".

He will get my support like all the others, but god I hoped we went for someone with a bit of physicality who could pick up and move with the ball from deep. In Mount, we have effectively replaced Eriksen with an even more offensively minded player - which is not the worst thing - but we've also ignored our biggest problem, which Eriksen for most of last season help us solve, keeping the ball and dictating /setting the tempo.

He'll end up a very pointless signing. It made no sense that we signed him and it still makes no sense to see him play in that midfield. Madness

Eriksen understands the role much better but he has zero physicality.

Mount doesn't understand it and his physicality is nothing special. He's never gonna be more than a squad player in the long run.

Anonymous.

I'm not intelligent enough to understand what he was meant to be doing.

I think he was decent. He should be used as more B2B player and moving deeper, but he adds a lot energy to the team and actually wins some second balls.
The setup is wrong though.

No different to an England or Chelsea performance.

The difference between this and a good Mason Mount performance is, on a good day, he's still completely anonymous in terms of general play, but pops up with a goal or an assist. Not the type of midfielder we needed as we are crying out for someone who excels in their general play to help dominate the midfield and control games.

Maybe Amrabat will be that player.

*team has bad season opener*
"we've seen enough, clearly *new signing* is shit and will never be good enough."

Mount followed in the tradition of Van de Beek et al of being an expensively bought #10 when we actually needed an #8. Don't understand this club's transfer policy. £60m for someone we didn't need. Medium term, either he displaces Bruno or he becomes a sub. We play him next to Bruno against City and it'll be another massacre.

Pretty much the same performance I’ve seen from him whenever he has played, meaning you barely notice that he’s on the pitch.

Worked hard but beyond that an inauspicious debut in an inauspicious team performance.

But then he deserves as much or more patience than anyone else in the team given that was his competitive debut in a poor team performance.

No different to an England or Chelsea performance.

The difference between this and a good Mason Mount performance is, on a good day, he's still completely anonymous in terms of general play, but pops up with a goal or an assist. Not the type of midfielder we needed as we are crying out for someone who excels in their general play to help dominate the midfield and control games.

Maybe Amrabat will be that player.
You think Arthur is great and Case is shite, so I'm not sure I trust your judgement on midfielders.

I think he was decent. He should be used as more B2B player and moving deeper, but he adds a lot energy to the team and actually wins some second balls.
The setup is wrong though.

I thought so too. He's a much needed glue guy in a team full of players trying to play hero ball.

He is a very good player, who has shown a higher level of performance than any of these United players. He is the only one who has won a major competition, and was a major part of it.
Who are you talking about? Casemiro I hope
Id by chance you are referring to Mount, Hazard and the other German speed merchant were also part of that team and we don't think they are good players either.
You better wake up and accept that Mount is not good enough to improve our midfield

Played exactly how Mason Mount has played everytime I’ve ever watched him for Chelsea & England.

He really does lack the physicality & passing range to play deep. Will be a decent squad player and that’s about it. We’ll be looking to replace him in the starting XI within 12/18 months.

He'll get time regardless of us liking him or not, and at the moment we have nothing to do but to wait, but if in few months later we ended up regretting this transfer, will it really surprise anyone ?

We were worse when McTominay came on. As always happens. We were a threat until then and got our goal then.

Threat is a bit generous. They cut us apart multiple times when Mount came off. We were incredibly lucky not be 1-0 down after a minute or so of Eriksen being on.

Don't equate the goal to an improvement in performance; it was merely a one-off moment in a terrible performance.

They had plenty of chances after we scored also.

I thought he was fine for what he offers. Ran hard, had some nice turns under pressure. I just think it was a fecking terrible choice of signing given the profile of our squad. Unless Erik is going to magically turn him into a player that can play deeper, I fear he's going to end up benched simply because he doesn't fit with Bruno in any sort of competent midfield.

Who are you talking about? Casemiro I hope
Id by chance you are referring to Mount, Hazard and the other German speed merchant were also part of that team and we don't think they are good players either.
You better wake up and accept that Mount is not good enough to improve our midfield

Hazard wasn't in the CL winning team...

*team has bad season opener*
"we've seen enough, clearly *new signing* is shit and will never be good enough."
The problem is that this was very predictable for anyone that has watched Mount over the last few years.

Did what was expected, namely being pretty much useless, specifically in this setup. I know it’s extremely early, but I am convinced he will flop badly here. There is just nothing convincing about the way he plays, and he isn’t good enough to change our setup to fit him in.

I just don't understand what's he for, apart from him not really being that good in the first place? He occupies the same area as Bruno. If you look at the average positions, they are on top of each other. They are "fighting" for possession. Mount has 30 touches this game, which is woeful. Neither drops to receive the ball, so you see Onana and the rest pass it between each other. He presses a lot cannot be all. He didn't even do anything wrong, just largely ran around Donny-like.

Why couldn't we just sign a ball carrier and someone who is very strong on the ball instead? Someone to link up the team and be the glue. I don't understand...

The entire team played shit, so why are you only in this thread crying? 36 year old man behaving like this. fecking hell :lol:
No one's crying but thanks for showing concern. Do you have a comment to make about Mount's performance in the Mason Mount performance thread or are you more concerned about defending him against people who rightly point out he was shite?

He’s just not very good. I’ve enjoyed the mental gymnastics of United fans trying to convince themselves he’s quality by watching Tifo football videos on youtube.

He only confirmed what I had always thought, which is that he would never work properly as a 8 next to Bruno. He is a 10 and a rather mediocre one. Those 60m could have been spent so much wiser..

Status
Not open for further replies.