Mason Greenwood | Officially a Marseille player

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was before he had almost 2 years of playing no football. People have to stop thinking that he’s the same player. It will take time to get back to that level if indeed he ever will

Obviously, he will need to train consistently with a squad before he gets back to his old levels of match fitness. The eye for goal and finishing ability itself are unique to the player and won't require much once his fitness and confidence levels are back.

Yes. I agree with you. In fact, just reading what you have said has dawned upon me, that the whole investigation conducted by United did not realize a logical outcome. By contrast, rightly or wrongly Man City did away with Benjamin Mendy, and Mendy himself will take the club to court for loss of earnings. But their process was definite but logical. City just wanted rid of the player and just move on.

United have not really done either. They have to tried to stand by him but also United also tried to placate other stakeholders. As the Athletic said "tried to do the right thing." I think United would have been well served to conduct their investigation and conclude before May and then hold meetings with external charities such as Women's Aid and tell them within the legal boundaries, these are our genuine findings, what do you think? What advice can you give us?

That could happen in a relatively open manner. It does matter if that gets reported. It would have been a positive thing to do. We are left in a corridor of uncertainty. Who knows, the club changes hands, what happens then?
Exactly.

And most importantly, those who most wanted to vote.

You’ll almost certainly have a much greater proportion of those who don’t want him back at any costs voting no.

And it’s not a stretch to assume most of those who have seen the poll and haven’t voted, or those who haven’t sought out the topic, are more likely to sit in the dont know/ yes/ don't care camp.

Why would 'no' voters be more motivated to vote than the 'yes' camp? The 'yes' camp is more motivated to post in this thread, for instance, so they seem pretty invested.

Why would 'no' voters be more motivated to vote than the 'yes' camp? The 'yes' camp is more motivated to post in this thread, for instance.

Because they're far more animated by emotion by way of the morality of a cause, compared to those who are either agnostic or would be in favor of Greenwood returning simply for football reasons.

Because they're far more animated by emotion by way of the morality of a cause, compared to those who are either agnostic or would be in favor of Greenwood returning simply for football reasons.

Do you think football team fandom and/or wanting to stick it to the the feminazis, are weak motivators for participation in an online poll?

I think if we were to try to rank posters by show of emotion, then those ranting about cancel culture and "the court of public opinion" would score pretty high. They all want Greenwood back. We've also had some pretty impressive outbursts with caps and exclamation marks, mostly from those guys. People complaining about Greenwood being lynched, ran out of the country, making up that people want him dead? Pretty emotional stuff. The people attacking Me Too don't seem very grounded. Grown men literally losing their minds over Rachel Riley, and ranting about media conspiracies? Yup.

Personally, if he performs well at Getafe during this loan, I want him back at United.

It is what it is, but I don’t see any legal reason why he shouldn’t play for us.

Why would there be a legal reason? It is the morality of continuing to play him that is now the issue.

@mods please can we have a performance thread? I’m not really interested in the boring circular debates anymore and I don’t think I’m the only one! Please can we just have a place to discuss his football performances?

No. There would then just be 2 threads to moderate.

Not to mention performance threads are for current United players, not ones playing for another club.

I think if we were to try to rank posters by show of emotion, then those ranting about cancel culture and "the court of public opinion" would score pretty high. They all want Greenwood back. We've also had some pretty impressive outbursts with caps and exclamation marks, mostly from those guys. People complaining about Greenwood being lynched, ran out of the country, making up that people want him dead? Pretty emotional stuff. The people attacking Me Too don't seem very grounded. Grown men literally losing their minds over Rachel Riley, and ranting about media conspiracies? Yup.

Totally agreed.

Pretty obvious that the moderators needed one of them to champion the case for Greenwood.

Absolutely this.

I had a long discussion on this with my nieces who were visiting me recently. This whole Greenwood sage is really a reflection of the world we are living in. Believing in absolutes, black & white opinions. All without nuances.

This simplistic condemnation is a kind of 'self-defence' mechanism.

In the book, The Fiction of Evil by Professor Peter Brian Barry, he said “We tend to demonise people who we regard as morally unjust or vicious or corrupt because we really want to create distance between them and ourselves. The more we can describe them in monstrous terms . . . the more confident we can be that we’re not like that.

In a black-and-white world, we don’t just need our villains to be purely evil; we also need our heroes to be flawless too.

We need to grow up and develop some self-awareness.

I had a long discussion on this with my nieces who were visiting me recently. This whole Greenwood sage is really a reflection of the world we are living in. Believing in absolutes, black & white opinions. All without nuances.

In the book, The Fiction of Evil by Professor Peter Brian Barry, he said “We tend to demonise people who we regard as morally unjust or vicious or corrupt because we really want to create distance between them and ourselves. The more we can describe them in monstrous terms . . . the more confident we can be that we’re not like that.

In a black-and-white world, we don’t just need our villains to be purely evil; we also need our heroes to be flawless too.

Dear god, we're talking about someone we don't want to play for our football club. This isn't that deep.

What were your nieces thoughts out of interest?

I don't think those on the opposite end of the spectrum are right about cancel culture either. Ultimately, this is an issue where well intentioned people can agree to disagree.

I find opinions like this very interesting. Not just on this topic but many others as well? I recall watching a short documentary on a wave of new films now acknowledging the anti hero and why they have become the protagonists they are. It was presented by the film critic Mark Kermode. Recent examples discussed were Joker (2019) starring Jaoquin Phoenix and Cruella (2021) with Emma Stone.

Hopefully he keeps up the good form and comes back. He should be our long term RF.

Didn't someone wish he'd break his legs in his very first game for Getafe? I mean, you're not completely wrong with some points, but your post feels like confirmation bias, and that's a dangerous path to take.

Not in the performance thread forum. And if any became problematic they would be closed. Greenwood one would be problematic in seconds. Spreading the incel energy across to threads might dilute it I suppose but we all know it would be another shit show. I hope we can offload him permanently ASAP so normal service can be resumed. Although it is in some ways a good canary in the mine type issue. :angel:

I don't think those on the opposite end of the spectrum are right about cancel culture either. Ultimately, this is an issue where well intentioned people can agree to disagree.

The well intentioned bit is however the problem.

Not in the performance thread forum. And if any became problematic they would be closed. Greenwood one would be problematic in seconds. Spreading the incel energy across to threads might dilute it I suppose but we all know it would be another shit show. I hope we can offload him permanently ASAP so normal service can be resumed. Although it is in some ways a good canary in the mine type issue. :angel:

Yeah not in the performance forum but I don't think that's what posters are asking for. A loan watch thread to discuss his performances without the non-football discussion that belongs in this thread is all people want.

Have you thought about the prospect of all that incel energy being directed towards ******* if Greenwood is sold? This is a situation of what's best for her and her child, and the most favourable outcome for them is Greenwood playing for utd again. I've seen some disgusting comments directed towards her blaming her which is sickening to see, I can't imagine what it will be like if he's sold. You don't have to like him but it's also worth not looking down on people and bracketing them as anti cancel culture just because they see it from a different angle than you.

Yeah not in the performance forum but I don't think that's what posters are asking for. A loan watch thread to discuss his performances without the non-football discussion that belongs in this thread is all people want.
You know that wouldn't happen though. You'd require heavy moderation to make sure this one is about anything but football and the other one is only about football, and who would want to spend their time on that? (Spend all that time for Greenwood?!)

Have you thought about the prospect of all that incel energy being directed towards ******* if Greenwood is sold? This is a situation of what's best for her and her child, and the most favourable outcome for them is Greenwood playing for utd again. I've seen some disgusting comments directed towards her blaming her which is sickening to see, I can't imagine what it will be like if he's sold. You don't have to like him but it's also worth not looking down on people and bracketing them as anti cancel culture just because they see it from a different angle than you.

I want him gone. It is that simple. If the same goes for Anthony time will tell.

Still a hard no I'm afraid. It has been discussed by mod and admins and the virtually unanimous consensus (with which I agree) is that it is already a shit show and another thread will only make it worse.

You know that wouldn't happen though. You'd require heavy moderation to make sure this one is about anything but football and the other one is only about football, and who would want to spend their time on that? (Spend all that time for Greenwood?!)

Exactly. Might be better to not talk about him at all :nervous:

Still a hard no I'm afraid. It has been discussed by mod and admins and the virtually unanimous consensus (with which I agree) is that it is already a shit show and another thread will only make it worse.

Yeah a segment of posters wouldn't be able to help themselves but that's what threadbans are for.

You guys post like I don't already know how little modmins actually do :D

Obviously, he will need to train consistently with a squad before he gets back to his old levels of match fitness. The eye for goal and finishing ability itself are unique to the player and won't require much once his fitness and confidence levels are back.
You do realize that there is a possibility that he’s lost that level that he was at? I’m not talking about his match fitness. 2 years is a long time when it’s developmental stage, which it was at his age. Time will tell but it’s certainly no guarantee

Sounds like an interesting read. But I think it's more than wanting things to be purely black and white. I think for different people there are certain lines that cannot be crossed. Like the murder case of James Bulger some years back, the perpretators are young children themselves, but for some people the crime is so gruesome that they think the children that commited the crime should never be given a chance in life again.

In Greenwood's case, the alleged crime is less gruesome and nobody is calling for his head or for him to be put behind bars for life. I personally think he should be given another chance, but for quite a number of supporters, the alleged crime is what some find it so vile that they don't want him to be associated with the club they love.

It looks like he got on the field yesterday vs Sociedad for good 20 minutes. Anyone saw how he did? From youtube I see he had at least one shot on target. :)

I’m not saying those at the extreme ends are any more or less passionate about the issue.

It’s very likely that those who are unsure or ambivalent are greater in number than we see (being the least likely to vote) and it’s more likely that this category will contain voters who would accept him back and don’t want to say.

Without comparing the forum population and the sample of the voters however it’s impossible to draw any real conclusions with confidence.

Sounds like an interesting read. But I think it's more than wanting things to be purely black and white. I think for different people there are certain lines that cannot be crossed. Like the murder case of James Bulger some years back, the perpretators are young children themselves, but for some people the crime is so gruesome that they think the children that commited the crime should never be given a chance in life again.

In Greenwood's case, the alleged crime is less gruesome and nobody is calling for his head or for him to be put behind bars for life. I personally think he should be given another chance, but for quite a number of supporters, the alleged crime is what some find it so vile that they don't want him to be associated with the club they love.
Well if you read about the one that was locked up again then they probably have a point

Very true.

It's also much easier to distance yourselves when you don't know the person, or know the nuance. Yet we all have friends and family members who have done bad things yet we forgive and/or forget, because we empathise with the complex mix of circumstances that led to them doing those things.

It gets more difficult the worse the action, and the more distant the connection. In my job, one of the patients I have worked with the past few years is a convicted killer. Yet knowing his history and the circumstances, I know that he is isn't an evil person. He's a damaged individual who was in a near impossible situation, sought help but didn't receive any, and ended up making a decision that has cost him his freedom for decades, first prison, then forensic wards, and now he's still in the psychiatric system despite his criminal sentence expiring. He's genuinely one of the kindest patients I have worked with. I can't explain the circumstances for obvious reasons because they're fairly unique to his case, but what's sad is that some people are so black and white in their thinking they won't stop to consider what possible circumstances I'm alluding to because X simply = Y. On the flip side, there's a few staff, and plenty of "regular" citizens, who have respectable jobs and public image, and yet when you get to know them it's obvious they are narcissistic, manipulative and abusive and cause pain and turmoil wherever they go. I'd trust the convicted killer I work with, with my life, I wouldn't trust some of the staff with my car keys.

It looks like he got on the field yesterday vs Sociedad for good 20 minutes. Anyone saw how he did? From youtube I see he had at least one shot on target. :)

I watched the 2nd half and I think he had a good half hour on the pitch and seems to be first sub generally.

He shows signs of his directness, shooting and willing to take someone on but is clearly off the mark with fitness still and doesn't know his team mates so he won't slot in seamlessly.

Status
Not open for further replies.