Mary Earps | signs for PSG

Snake same as Russo, we make them and they can't wait to cash in and blame the club.

Toone signed up easy enough.

If I was a top player and watched my team lose key players summer after summer I'd probably leave too.

Id have worded it differently but I don’t think there was too much wrong with what he said. The men’s team mess is likely a much bigger mess and definitely needs prioritising
I thought his words were a bit like "Sorry currently we don't care about them".

Go to post #123.......she was clear what must happen about the future of the team.........and it looks like that will not happen in the next months.

Good for her. Did well for us, cant blame her for wanting to compete at a higher level.

I like Mary Earps. I don't blame her for leaving if we don't match her ambition, can't blame her for that.
Same here.
Lots of others though elsewhere on social media being very childish and bitter about it.
I’m just happy she didn’t go to another WSL team.

Going off track a bit, but when Arsenal offered us Stina Blackstenius and a fee for Russo should we have bitten their hands off? That is more me saying we are making some odd decisions.
Absolutely should have taken that offer. A shambles that United didn’t.

If I was a top player and watched my team lose key players summer after summer I'd probably leave too.

This. It's just childish to blame Earps for wanting to maximise her career. Match her ambitions then, United!

Doesn't mean you don't do anything about the women's team.
But he didn’t say they weren’t doing anything. There will be people doing the work. And the changes to the whole structure of the club will obviously have a knock on effect on both the men’s and women’s teams
Can you not do both?
Ratcliffe personally will be most invested in the facilities currently. I don’t think he’s negated the women’s team
I thought his words were a bit like "Sorry currently we don't care about them".

Go to post #123.......she was clear what must happen about the future of the team.........and it looks like that will not happen in the next months.
I didn’t take his words in the interview that way. Remind me what the interviewers initial question was?

But he didn’t say they weren’t doing anything. There will be people doing the work. And the changes to the whole structure of the club will obviously have a knock on effect on both the men’s and women’s teams

Looks like there won’t be for a while. Refusing to appoint an interim DoF for the women for a year is a mistake. We’re probably losing four key players for free in a week. A year after losing two of our key players for free.

But let’s pretend you’re right. Please tell me who’s taking care of contract renewals, pre season schedule and summer signings?

Looks like there won’t be for a while. Refusing to appoint an interim DoF for the women for a year is a mistake. We’re probably losing four key players for free in a week. A year after losing two of our key players for free.

But let’s pretend you’re right. Please tell me who’s taking care of contract renewals, pre season schedule and summer signings?
fecking hell. That’s really bad.

fecking hell. That’s really bad.

I have some hope that Zelem will sign a new contract, but that’s pretty much it.

As said before, if this happened with the men’s team, there would be riots. But all we who care about the women’s team hear is ”Calm down, nothing suggests the owners don’t care, they just prioritise the men’s team” etc. Or the ”First team” as SJR calls them.

Last edited:
Can you not do both?

Not necessarily 'properly' with out the right people in charge. I think it's very easy to say 'do both'...but in business terms it isn't easy at all.

The problem with both teams is that we have been looking at short term fixes for the last 10+ years and none of them have worked out.

Ratcliffe is looking at the big picture and needs leadership in numerous positions to achieve his vision for both teams. He is still waiting for Berrada, Ashworth and a Head of Recruitment...until that happens I think both teams will suffer in the transfer market this summer.

Clearly the club will do some things but there will a negative impact in the short term such as Earps potentially leaving.

Who did it last year?

Matt Johnson

https://x.com/matt01johnson?t=rJWKUy80dgesU7zsid0ixQ&s=09

The amount of top players we’ve lost on frees the last few years. Absolute joke.

I'm not sure why people can't just acknowledge that the new owner barely being able to string a couple of sentences together about plans for the women's team in an extensive interview on the club isn't a particularly encouraging sight. Particularly after being conspicuously absent from the biggest match in the team's existence, where the first trophy under their co-ownership was won. The implication of not being able to spend any time on them in six months is that they're a distraction to him. People backing him up with variations of "know your place" isn't doing much to assuage that, either.

The amount of top players we’ve lost on frees the last few years. Absolute joke.

big players at that, it’s almost like when we get a player that is elite level m, bigger more established clubs snoop in on them. We can’t seem to hold on to them.

we’re not competing at the top level so holding on to our best players is difficult. The best players want to compete, they want trophies and higher wages, it’s really as simple as that. We’re big on in name as things stand.

It's as though they don't realise women are not on five year contracts and you need to keep an eye on discussing new contract well before their contracts expire.

big players at that, it’s almost like when we get a player that is elite level m, bigger more established clubs snoop in on them. We can’t seem to hold on to them.

we’re not competing at the top level so holding on to our best players is difficult. The best players want to compete, they want trophies and higher wages, it’s really as simple as that. We’re big on in name as things stand.

It’s not only about winning. It’s also about feeling valued, like the club actually want to support you.

I'm not sure why people can't just acknowledge that the new owner barely being able to string a couple of sentences together about plans for the women's team in an extensive interview on the club isn't a particularly encouraging sight. Particularly after being conspicuously absent from the biggest match in the team's existence, where the first trophy under their co-ownership was won. The implication of not being able to spend any time on them in six months is that they're a distraction to him. People backing him up with variations of "know your place" isn't doing much to assuage that, either.

From a business perspective it's hardly surprising, they generated £7m in revenue last year and essentially no profit.

It’s not only about winning. It’s also about feeling valued, like the club actually want to support you.

JFC.
I’d be looking elsewhere too. Completely disrespected and undervalued.
Bad business also. The women’s game can improve expand more than the men’s game (absolutely saturated market) with the increased revenue that would bring.

From a business perspective it's hardly surprising, they generated £7m in revenue last year and essentially no profit.

That's clearly not what I said. It's 1% of revenue and he's seemingly giving it that level of priority, which is unfortunate for the women's team. Hopefully it will grow but it feels we've lost an opportunity to kick on the past couple of years with it.

JFC.
I’d be looking elsewhere too. Completely disrespected and undervalued.
Bad business also. The women’s game can improve expand more than the men’s game (absolutely saturated market) with the increased revenue that would bring.
There is no successful women’s team without a successful men’s team. At least at the moment. The women’s team need a lot of investment. Lot of consistent care and branding. But you can’t do it without a successful men’s team especially one that has been in decline for a decade - which itself is in dire need of investment.

This will hurt. It is temporary however until the renovations are done. I’m sure the women will understand that moving to a place where the pitch quality is shite is worse than great gyms but poor pitches. They are still in Carrington.

There is no successful women’s team without a successful men’s team. At least at the moment. The women’s team need a lot of investment. Lot of consistent care and branding. But you can’t do it without a successful men’s team especially one that has been in decline for a decade.

This will hurt. It is temporary however until the renovations are done.
The women’s team needs minor investment in comparison to the men’s team.
They don’t even get that.
I’m sorry but they’ve just put up the season ticket prices for the women by over 30%
So they are happy to take the money but pay less than lip service to the actually team.

Lazy argument on your part I’m afraid. Smacks of “know your place women”.

The women’s team needs minor investment in comparison to the men’s team.
They don’t even get that.
I’m sorry but they’ve just put up the season ticket prices for the women by over 30%
So they are happy to take the money but pay less than lip service to the actually team.

Lazy argument on your part I’m afraid. Smacks of “know your place women”.
Uh… no. I was being practical. I want Earps and Tooney to light up the PL. Stop gaslighting me.

We have seen there is a wide scale financial restructuring happening at the club. Money is being audited deeply and outlay is being curtailed. All of which is being focused on the Men’s first team. I would love it for the Women to get the same treatment, but if I’m performing open heart surgery at the club and need the fastest turnaround possible, then I’d put all my eggs in the Men’s first team for a year or two.

Not about “women knowing their place”, it’s practicality.