Marcelo Or Roberto Carlos

Who was the better left back?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Peak Roberto Carlos was amazing but he was getting by on reputation in his last 3 maybe even 4 seasons at Madrid. He probably edges it due to speed and goal scoring ability.

Marcelo is the most skilled fullback I've ever seen though. There were times that in a team that had Ronaldo, Bale, Isco, Modric, Benzema etc he was the one that had the most ability to open up tight defences. His skill and technique for a fullback was unreal.

Marcelo had insane attacking ability, not just for a full back, but for any wide player. I think about how great Evra was for Utd progressing the play, breaking the press, initiating attacks from deep, and Marcelo almost makes Evra look like AWB as an attacker in comparison.

Incomparable
There is nothing very special about Marcelo, he has been good but not even close to being great
Roberto Carlos was on a different level entirely, phenomenal passing and shooting range, in addition to being more dominant
That is not true tbh. Marcelo wasn't just good, he was absolutely brilliant attacking wise from the left during those three peat years. People may prefer Carlos more, but to say Marcelo is not in same level or not comparable is kinda nostalgia judgement rather than facts based. Marcelo vs Bayern is possibly the best attacking performance by a fullback ever, it was like Hazard playing in full back.

Today I would choose Marcelo. It's hard not to when he's just retired after winning 25 titles.
I would have to answer this in a few years.
Roberto Carlos was super entertaining, pure power. A run regaining position and back running the wing again. A penalty to burst the goalkeeper, a free kick....
As has been said the role of the full backs was different. Roberto Carlos had many virtues but struggled when under pressure, while Marcelo helped a lot in creation and relieved the midfielders.
Marcelo has had a couple of very bad years where his wing was a highway but Roberto Carlos was also a disaster at times and ended up living off his charisma.
I remember when I was a kid I adored Capello and one of the first things he did was to demand his signing. I still don't know now why Inter sold him, and I think it was quite cheap. A real bargain.