Manchester United 7:0 Barnsley

Old Trafford

Kick-off
Tue, 17 September 2024 @ 8:00pm BST
Status

Finished

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Lucky McLuckerson

The saviour of our season (ask Maradona10)
    ezgif-4-c9e75394a2.png
    ..................VS....................
    Barnsley-FC-svg.png

Date: Tuesday, September 17 2024

Kickoff Time: 2000 Hrs BST
    Venue: Old Trafford, Manchester

1.jpg

League Cup Form Guide

Manchester United: N/A
    Barnsley: DW

Previous League Cup Meetings

Barnsley 0—2 Manchester United

All-Time League Cup Record

Manchester United wins: 1
    Barnsley wins: 0
    Draws: 0

Pre-Match Pressers

Erik ten Hag

Darrell Clarke

Team News

Manchester United

Leny Yoro, Rasmus Højlund, Mason Mount, Luke Shaw, Tyrell Malacia and Victor Lindelöf ruled out.

Barnsley

Conor Hourihane and Donovan Pines ruled out. Fábio Jaló doubtful.

Know The Opposition

2.jpg

Barnsley Football Club (nicknamed The Reds, The Tykes, and The Colliers) is a professional football club in Barnsley, South Yorkshire, England, which competes in EFL League One, the third level of the English football league system. Barnsley were established in 1887 as Barnsley St Peter's by Reverend Tiverton Preedy, and they played in the Sheffield and District League from 1890 and in the Midland League from 1895. In 1897, the club dropped the St Peter's part of its name to become simply Barnsley. They joined the Football League in 1898.

They twice reached the final of the FA Cup whilst still in the second tier, losing to Newcastle United in 1910 and winning the competition over West Bromwich Albion in 1912. Premier League football was secured for the 1997–98 season with a second-place finish in the First Division, though they were relegated after one season and dropped down to the third tier in 2002. Barnsley have spent more seasons and played more games at the second level of English football than any other team. The club's main rivals are fellow Yorkshire clubs Sheffield Wednesday, Sheffield United, Leeds United, Huddersfield Town and Rotherham United. They play their home games at Oakwell.

Referee

Gavin Ward.

Familiar Faces

N/A.​

-------------------------Turkish keeper
    Dalot-----------Maguire-----Evans----Amass
    ---------------Casemiro-------Ugarte
    Amad---------------Eriksen----------Garnacho
    ------------------------Zirkzee

In the other 5 matches in this cluster of games I'd hope for Martinez-de Ligt partnership.

In the other 5 matches in this cluster of games I'd hope for Martinez-de Ligt partnership.
    We have a Turkish keeper? Or is that Onana's nickname?

A good chance to rotate a bit ahead of a tricky tie away to Palace.

Bayinder
    Dalot - Maguire - Evans - Amass
    Casemiro - Ugarte
    Antony - Eriksen - Garnacho
    Zirkzee​

-------------------------Altay----------------------------
    Dalot------Maguire-----Evans----Amass
    ---------------Collyer-------Ugarte-------------
    Antony-------------Zirkzee--------------Garnacho
    ------------------------Wheatley-------------------------

I really want to see a Collyer-Ugarte midfield in this one. No more getting physically overpowered in midfield.

Bayindir

Dalot
    Maguire
    Evans
    Amass

Ugarte
    Casemiro
    Eriksen

Antony
    Zirkzee
    Garnacho

Previous years Ten Hag hasn’t made wholesale changes in the cup. I sense this year he’ll feel he needs to rotate especially at the back. We also need minutes into the likes of Ugarte and Garnacho.

I think we’ll see something like:

Onana

Dalot
    Magure
    Evans
    Amass

Ugarte
    Casemiro

Antony
    Eriksen
    Garnacho

Zirkzee

Collyer possibly coming on for Ugarte in the 2nd half.

Amad and Zirkzee just played the full 90. You want to start them on Tuesday and then again for a big game against Palace Saturday? Why? Foolish.

Put Antony and Wheatley in there, please.

Could be a good game if we're going to utilize our squad. Good opportunity for a few of the squad players who should be up for this game and build up fitness.

Onana

Dalot Maguire Evans Amass

Casemiro Ugarte Bruno

Antony Zirkzee Garnacho​

Starting XI: Bayindir - Mazraoui, Maguire, Evans, Amass - Casemiro, Ugarte; Antony, Eriksen, Garnacho - Zirkzee

Bench: Heaton, Ogunneye, De Ligt, Murray, Collyer, Ennis, Amad, Rashford & Wheatley

Fernandes, Mainoo, Martinez, Dalot & Onana should be rested.

If Höjlund is fit for the bench then he will replace Ennis.

Amad and Zirkzee just played the full 90. You want to start them on Tuesday and then again for a big game against Palace Saturday? Why? Foolish.

Put Antony and Wheatley in there, please.

No need for insults, but you also assume I'd want them to start at Palace, at which point I'd hope Hojlund would be fit to start and hopefully he can get 20-30 minutes against Barnsley. I'd not want to break Amad's stride either, and give him the first half against Barnsley.

Another goal thriller please. 4-0. Keep the goals and confidence coming

There will be changes but it will be a strong team. I think the only one I’m absolutely sure will sit it out (injuries permitting) is Mainoo as I expect we’ll take the opportunity to manage his minutes. Wouldn’t be shocked to see any of the others starting given how ten Hag usually operates.

---------------Onana
    Dalot-Maguire-Evans-Amass
    ----------------Ugarte
    ---------Collyer---Casemiro
    Antony------Zirkzee----Garnacho

Bench: Bayindir, Rashford, Bruno, Hojlund, Shaw, Mainoo, Amad, Eriksen, Martinez

We could field a pretty strong side on Tuesday night.

Bayindir
    Amass
    Dalot
    Maguire
    Evans
    Casemiro
    Ugarte
    Eriksen
    Garnacho
    Antony
    Zirksee or Wheatley

Maybe Colleyer will start instead of Eriksen and Casemiro ahead of Maguire if he's injured from today.

Dante, Kukonki, Reece-Munroe. Etc etc. Some minutes for Ugarte. No Bruno, Rashford, Case, Msinoo, Garna ot any regular defenders. We should still beat these

Dante, Kukonki, Reece-Munroe. Etc etc. Some minutes for Ugarte. No Bruno, Rashford, Case, Msinoo, Garna ot any regular defenders. We should still beat these

Garnacho should play, he hasn't started many games and even during the International Break was doing sub cameos. Besides there's a paying crowd, no reason why some players shouldn't try fight their way into good form like Eriksen or Casemiro.

As usual, it feels like some go OTT calling for ludicrous levels of change - it often feels like it's more just to dismiss the League Cup as irrelevant than anything else.

These games go straight to penalties if level after 90 minutes - don't even have ET. So no danger of players having to play 120 mins or anything. But also means it's important we pick a team strong enough to score the goals to win it outright in 90 mins and avoid the lottery of pens.

I'm happy to see anyone with knocks rested, or those who played a lot in the recent friendlies (such as Bruno). And Mainoo because of his age and need to manage his minutes still.

And some minutes for the youngsters there or thereabouts like Collyer, Wheatley and Amass. But not all starting together. We've got plenty of senior squad players needing minutes or needing to find full form - like Evans, Eriksen, Casemiro, Antony, Garnacho... So absolutely no need to go too unnecessarily weakened.

I think similar to some teams I've seen suggested, such as:

Bayindir

Dalot
    Maguire
    Evans
    Amass

Casemiro / Collyer
    Ugarte
    Eriksen

Antony
    Zirkzee / Wheatley
    Garnacho

So the three who picked up knocks today rested. And Bruno and Mainoo. But definitely want to see some strength on the bench as well though - so the likes of Rashford, Amad, maybe Bruno, on the bench for if needed.

What I want.

Bayinder, Mazzouri, Maguire, Evans, Amass, Ugarte, Casemiro, Erikssen, Antony, Garnacho, Zirzkee

As usual, it feels like some go OTT calling for ludicrous levels of change - it often feels like it's more just to dismiss the League Cup as irrelevant than anything else.

These games go straight to penalties if level after 90 minutes - don't even have ET. So no danger of players having to play 120 mins or anything. But also means it's important we pick a team strong enough to score the goals to win it outright in 90 mins and avoid the lottery of pens.

I'm happy to see anyone with knocks rested, or those who played a lot in the recent friendlies (such as Bruno). And Mainoo because of his age and need to manage his minutes still.

And some minutes for the youngsters there or thereabouts like Collyer, Wheatley and Amass. But not all starting together. We've got plenty of senior squad players needing minutes or needing to find full form - like Evans, Eriksen, Casemiro, Antony, Garnacho... So absolutely no need to go too unnecessarily weakened.

I think similar to some teams I've seen suggested, such as:

Bayindir

Dalot
    Maguire
    Evans
    Amass

Casemiro / Collyer
    Ugarte
    Eriksen

Antony
    Zirkzee / Wheatley
    Garnacho

So the three who picked up knocks today rested. And Bruno and Mainoo. But definitely want to see some strength on the bench as well though - so the likes of Rashford, Amad, maybe Bruno, on the bench for if needed.
    Eriksen played in the International break too. As did Dalot and we need him fit. Maguire got a knoc - and played twice for England. We need a spell when the injury list comes down. It’s not disrespect for the competition- just a bit of consideration for player welfare and good long term strategy

Eriksen played in the International break too. As did Dalot and we need him fit. Maguire got a knoc - and played twice for England. We need a spell when the injury list comes down. It’s not disrespect for the competition- just a bit of consideration for player welfare and good long term strategy
    Eriksen did play in the internationals, yeah. But he'd hardly played for us before then, and is much more in the 'senior squad players needing minutes or needing to find full form' group. He's hardly in the 'being overplayed last season and this and probably need a rest' group like Mainoo and Fernandes.

Dalot I agree is probably in that group as well. But with both LB's injured, and Mazraoui seeming picking up a knock, I wouldn't like to go into the game with no senior FB in the squad. I know others will solely prioritise the league and say we can't risk playing him in the League Cup in case he gets injured there. But a knockout cup match is also a big game for me and I think he needs to feature due to compete lack of other FB options for now.

As unrealistic as it sounds, I’d love to see Koné in the squad.

I appreciate that the script says that we’ll introduce him in a few months time, but there’s unlikely to be many League One opponents at Old Trafford waiting around in the second half of the season. We are light in midfield and if he can offer anything he will be needed.

Bayindir
    Dalot Maguire Evans Amass
    Collyer Ugarte
    Antony Bruno Garnacho
    Wheatley

I'd like to see Amass, Collyer, and Wheatley all start this game. It should give us a good indication of their development. Given their potential, I believe they can hold their own against a League 1 team. Since they've been on the bench for the senior squad, they haven't had much opportunity to play for the youth teams, especially Amass and Wheatley.

The players who started today should be rested, as others need game time as well. However, the midfield presents a tricky situation. A midfield trio of Collyer, Ugarte, and Casemiro might not offer the right balance, so Bruno will likely keep his spot.

Casemiro and Eriksen for Ugarte and Bruno around the 60th min so that they can be fresh for the next game. Shame we can't rest Dalot as well.

Is this the thread where we pick a team of the players that have not played much yet and a few u21s make the bench.

I hope ETH's learned that he needs to rest his first XI more regularly if he wants to avoid injuries and fatigue.. I'm already seeing more pre-emptive subs this season so hopefully that's the case.

I'll go with this line-up with heavy rotation in the 2nd half. Who enters depends on the scoreline.
    Heaton/Bayindir
    Dalot Lindelof Evans Amass
    Casemiro Ugarte
    Antony Wheatley Eriksen Garnacho​

Give collyer a start with Ugarte. Rest our entire defence. Start Garnacho with Zirkzee and Antony.

Casemiro and Ugarte will start I think. Expecting Evan's and maguire at the back. Who knows who will be full backs. Garnacho will also start as been on the bench most of the season so far.

20 mins for hojlund at the end?

I think Collyer deserves a start personally, I'd give Ugarte some minutes off the bench. I'd go with something like:

Onana
    Dalot De Ligt Martinez Amass
    Antony Collyer Casemiro Garnacho
    Bruno
    Zirkzee

Ideally Ugarte, Wheatley and a youngster from the U21s (Fletcher or Williams maybe?) would get minutes off the bench too.

Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Provisional results
Alejandro Garnacho image Alejandro Garnacho 45% of 238 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

Provisional results
7.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 225 ratings.

Score Predictions