Manchester United name John Murtough as Football Director and Darren Fletcher as Technical Director

Clearly you have decided that you don't rate Mount or Antony and so that's impacting your view on how much we are paying them. I have knocked a quick table together below based on what I believe are the best/most common XIs of our rivals. You can see that our salaries are basically in-line with what other clubs pay. Varane stands out as a bad deal for us, but that wasn't negotiated by Arnold/Murtough, that was Ed.

ARSENALMAN UTDCHELSEAMAN CITYLIVERPOOL
GKRAMSDALE
£62,000
ONANA
£100,000
KEPA
£150,000
EDERSON
£100,000
ALISSON
£150,000
DEFPARTEY
£200,000
AWB
£90,000
CHILWELL
£200,000
WALKER
£160,000
TAA
£180,000
DEFZINCHENKO
SHAW
£150,000
JAMES
£250,000
AKANJI
£180,000
ROBERTSON
£100,000
DEFSALIBA
£190,000
MARTINEZ
£125,000
FOFANA
£200,000
STONES
£250,000
VAN DIJK
£220,000
DEFWHITE
£120,000
VARANE
£350,000
THIAGO SILVA
£110,000
RUBEN DIAS
£180,000
KONATE
£70,000
MIDODEGAARD
£115,000
CASEMIRO
£300,000
ENZO
£315,000
KDB
£400,000
MAC ALLISTER
£150,000
MIDRICE
£240,000
MOUNT
£250,000
CAICEDO
£150,000
RODRI
£220,000
THIAGO
£200,000
MIDHAVERTZ
£280,000
FERNANDES
£250,000
GALLAGHER
£50,000
FODEN
£225,000
SZOBOSZLAI
£120,000
ATTMARTINELLI
£90,000
ANTONY
£200,000
STERLING
£325,000
GREALISH
£300,000
SALAH
£350,000
ATTJESUS
£265,000
HOJLUND
£90,000
NKUNKU
£195,000
HAALAND
£375,000
JOTA
£150,000
ATTSAKA
£195,000
RASHFORD
£300,000
MUDRYK
£100,000
SILVA
£150,000
NUNEZ
£140,000

Note | It was hard to know what a 'best XI' is for Chelsea...but whichever players you select, there's no major swing
Harvetz costing Arsenal 3 times more than Martinelli in salary is the worst football crime in 2023.

Harvetz costing Arsenal 3 times more than Martinelli in salary is the worst football crime in 2023.
Pretty much. Exactly the type of thing United should be avoiding too

It’s hilarious how some people can’t understand that paying players based on their actual worth isn’t far superior to overpaying them and claiming that it’s normal based on their squad status.

By his criteria, Brandon Williams was underpaid because he kept Shaw out of the squad and was a starter player when he signed a new contract and hence deserves a pay within 100-200k a week. :wenger:

Sure...my entire argument is that literally the last person to start for a team in a given position deserves to be immediately paid more than the person who started the previous game and so on and so forth. So well done, your Brandon Williams analogy is genius, it completely blows apart the concept that players should be paid based on their squad status/seniority.

The fact that you and other posters are mocking an approach to allocating wages that is literally used by virtually every sane club and/or company on the planet is telling. You are familiar with the term 'salary bracket'? You are familiar with the idea, for example, that a team leader earns more than a standard member of said team? Or that the middle manager earns more than the team leader? Or that the 'Head of' earns more than the middle manager?

You are aware that for many, many years under Gill and SAF, that United had a famously rigid wage structure that we wouldn't break for anybody?

In the basic World of people who don't understand anything about anything, everything is so easy isn't it. Everything is rubbish, everybody is stupid except for you. You'd just pay Antony £25,001 wouldn't you. That's genius, £1 a week more than his Ajax salary! Like it or lump it, give him a £1 more than he earnt there, and if he tries to negotiate, we walk away! That's how negotiations work, I know because I saw it on a film.

I have just presented a list of salaries at our four main rivals. You will see very clearly that the salaries we are paying are very much in-line with them. You can go back and forth quibbling whether Antony should be on £170K instead of £200K. Or whether Jesus should be on £265K. Or whether Havertz should be on £285K. Or whether Jack Grealish deserves £300K....but that really, really is not the point of this discussion at all. So what are you all moaning about?

The main (stupid) argument I keep seeing represented is that we're overpaying because the likes of Antony, Mount and Hojlund earnt less at their previous clubs. Did Rice earn £250K at West Ham? Did Villa pay Grealish £300K? Did Enzo get £305K at Benfica? Did van Dijk get £225K at Southampton?

So ask yourself again, what exactly are you moaning about? What exactly are you unhappy with? Or are you just moaning because that's what people do now? Moan about bloody everything!

I suspect it's because Martinelli hasn't signed a new deal recently - but I'd tend to agree that Havertz salary is slightly surprising. Again though, what it does reflect is that salaries are going up across the board. So new signings are always going to look comparatively 'expensive' as compared with players 3 years into a 5 year deal.

It's worth noting another thing in our favour is that the overwhelming majority of our first team players are now on long term contracts and won't be due a renewal for a while.

You are aware that for many, many years under Gill and SAF, that United had a famously rigid wage structure that we wouldn't break for anybody?

We did use to have a wage structure, but I think it was long gone before Gill. Roy Keane's bumper new contract in late 1999 changed everything.

We did use to have a wage structure, but I think it was long gone before Gill. Roy Keane's bumper new contract in late 1999 changed everything.

I nearly mentioned Keane's stand-off with the club but didn't want to go off on a tangent. For sure over time the hardline approach softened.

The cafe, internet, and world as a whole would be a better place if this habit of creating "the other" weren't common practice simply because folks have a different opinion than you.

You, we are all Manchester United fans. We want the club to be successful on the pitch. Give it a rest on creating division within the fanbase. You hate Murtough? Great, go have a sandwich and chill out. You don't feel he's done too badly? Great, go have a sandwich and chill out.
Have you read what these people write and the way they attack anyone that dares question their favourite corporate clowns?

Please go back and see who's the one slating fans for raising doubts over these people's competence. There's this one guy here who's got a fan club and loves writing essays, only for us to go make him look like a mug time and again.

It's not my fault some posters are delusional and I don't care if they get offended when confronted with reality. Happened with OGS and hopefully it'll happen to these clowns once Qatar takes over.

I nearly mentioned Keane's stand-off with the club but didn't want to go off on a tangent. For sure over time the hardline approach softened.

Once Keano signed his new contract, everything changed and the rest of the stars - Giggs, Becks, etc - got bumper new contracts.

It had to have happened, to be fair. We just couldn't compete with the old wage structure. It was outdated and we were rather notorious for paying low wages.

We need the guys that are running Chelsea immediately :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now that’s how you run a football club.

Have you read what these people write and the way they attack anyone that dares question their favourite corporate clowns?

Please go back and see who's the one slating fans for raising doubts over these people's competence. There's this one guy here who's got a fan club and loves writing essays, only for us to go make him look like a mug time and again.

It's not my fault some posters are delusional and I don't care if they get offended when confronted with reality. Happened with OGS and hopefully it'll happen to these clowns once Qatar takes over.

Yes, that's the point I/we are making. Its not about having a slightly more balanced, nuanced opinion on the running of the club than the popular "everything is rubbish" counter-position.

We love Murtough. Of all the corporate suits in football, he is our favourite.

Some of us on here actually get together in the members club by the big Tesco outside Old Trafford in our "Murtough #1" shirts, sing little ditties in his honour and talk about how we can counter the cutting arguments of the rebel crew, led by the valiant Rightnr, who seem intent on bringing him down.

In fact, it's fair to say that if he were to leave the club, most of us pro-Murtough loyalists would follow him into his next position, whatever that might be. Could be another football club, could be an investment bank, could be a supermarket chain, that would be an interesting one!

Often times, we only watch the games in the hope of catching a passing glimpse of him in the stands as the camera pans across the Director's box.

Murtough, Murtough, Murtough
He's United's transfer supremo
Wheels and deals all day long
Whilst we're singing our song
And we follow wherever he gooooes!

So?

He’s world class, he’ll still be good into his mid 30’s
How many players have we had that were genuinely one of the best players in the world in their position until their mid 30s? You're looking at a player already past his physical prime, and it's showing by how often he's been easily bypassed in the first 3 games.

We've had our fair share of players drop off a cliff at a relatively young age Matic, Sanchez, Van Persie, Rooney etc.

uprised that many here are still defending this man. He's literally downgraded DoF position into manager's lackey. we criticized woodward/judge for allowing managers to have absolute power in the transfer window yet this guy is doing even worse in that regard, where's the logic in that?
I have put together a quick table showing the playing squad in 2021/22, which was assembled exclusively and entirely under the watch of Ed Woodward. Every single contract was signed/renewed under his tenure, so must have been negotiated or approved by him, as CEO.

I have then put together a quick table for this seasons squad. You can already see that the average is down £16,000 per week, despite us being three seasons into the future - i.e. footballers' wages are going up across the board, but our wage bill is trending downwards. This includes recent new long term deals for Shaw, Bruno, Rashford and Garnacho.

The most interesting thing for me, when you dig deeper, is that we have clearly taken steps to enforce some kind of structure. Under Woodward, it appears to have been done completely at random. Now, it's evident that there appears to be a ceiling of £300K (see the Rashford and Casemiro deals done by Arnold/Murtough) and that players are awarded contracts which are far more in-line with what you would expect with respect their position and squad status - i.e. Mount and Bruno are on virtually the same salary.

In addition, compare new signings in similar positions. Antony is very comparable to Sancho in terms of fee paid, age and position. We handed out £350,000 per week to Sancho, but 'only' £200,000 for Antony. Martinez has been signed at CB on a salary of £120,000, compared with Maguire (£190,000) and Varane (£340,000).

Finally, look at three of the top six salaries in 2023/24. Martial, Varane and Sancho account for £940,000 per annum, yet Varane is never fit and Sancho and Martial are bit-part players that the club seem willing to shift. When and if those three leave (and I expect that will be within 18-months), that average wage bill will come down even further. I'm certain we will not be paying their replacements anything like the crazy wages we've handed out previously.

So I reject the idea that there's been no progress or no change of course. I'd say there's clear evidence that a structure has been discussed and implemented and that the club are working to clear high earners from the balance sheet, with a view to bringing salaries under control. Of course, because of the very nature of a 'contract', they cant fix everything in 18-months.

2021/2022Salary2023/2024Salary
Ronaldo£480,000Sancho£350,000
Sancho£350,000Varane£340,000
DDG£350,000Casemiro£300,000
Varane£340,000Rashford£300,000
Pogba£290,000Martial£250,000
Martial£250,000Mount£250,000
Cavani£250,000Fernandes£240,000
Rashford£200,000Anthony£200,000
Maguire£190,000Maguire£190,000
Mata£160,000Eriksen£150,000
Fernandes£155,000Shaw£150,000
Shaw£150,000Lindelof£120,000
Lindelof£120,000Martinez£120,000
Fred£120,000DvdB£120,000
DvdB£120,000Onana£100,000
Matic£120,000AWB£90,000
Henderson£100,000Dalot£85,000
Telles£93,000Bailly£80,000
AWB£90,000Hojlund£80,000
Dalot£85,000Greenwood£75,000
Bailly£80,000Malacia£75,000
Jones£75,000McTominay£60,000
Lingard£75,000Garnacho£50,000
Greenwood£75,000Bayindir£50,000
McTominay£60,000
AVERAGE£175,120AVERAGE£159,375
TOTAL£4,378,000TOTAL£3,825,000

To put into perspective, Ronaldo, Sancho, Varane, Pogba all were big names (atleast on paper) when we signed them. Signing them is akin to signing Kane, Bellingham, hot names that we can only dream of to attract nowadays. Sure there were some daft decisions like DDG ones but we gave Antony 200K per week for christ sake.

Don't hide behind someone else's behavior.

I'm also not talking about offending anyone. You'd be better off calling them and their opinions stupid and just pissing on each other's cereal. Just don't create factions.

Don't hide behind someone else's behavior.

I'm also not talking about offending anyone. You'd be better off calling them and their opinions stupid and just pissing on each other's cereal. Just don't create factions.
I'm not hiding behind anyone, I'm calling out the blatant hypocrisy of these positive geniuses.

I've called their opinion delusional and for me that's not that different to stupid. Difference being is that it comes from a good place (we all want our team to win) but if that's used by these corporate incompetent cnuts to reduce the pressure from their constant failures, it's bad for the club.

Basically (and this is from Google), if the result of good intentions is a bad outcome, then whatever the intent, it's kind of irrelevant.

Ok, so overpaying them on the initial contract is ok, but overpaying them when they’re actually good and in their prime isn’t.

Brilliant logic there.

How about just fecking paying them for their actual worth like a well run club would?:wenger:

Ah I see. I thought you were complaining about Casemiros wages.

What's Qatar got to do with it? Besides I can't see that happening

So why did we then offer 90k more than Chelsea, a team that we love to moan about how much they spend?
How much do you think Mount is on? And you genuinely believe he wouldn't get similar at Liverpool or Arsenal if he had chosen them over Man Utd?

I have put together a quick table showing the playing squad in 2021/22, which was assembled exclusively and entirely under the watch of Ed Woodward. Every single contract was signed/renewed under his tenure, so must have been negotiated or approved by him, as CEO.

I have then put together a quick table for this seasons squad. You can already see that the average is down £16,000 per week, despite us being three seasons into the future - i.e. footballers' wages are going up across the board, but our wage bill is trending downwards. This includes recent new long term deals for Shaw, Bruno, Rashford and Garnacho.

The most interesting thing for me, when you dig deeper, is that we have clearly taken steps to enforce some kind of structure. Under Woodward, it appears to have been done completely at random. Now, it's evident that there appears to be a ceiling of £300K (see the Rashford and Casemiro deals done by Arnold/Murtough) and that players are awarded contracts which are far more in-line with what you would expect with respect their position and squad status - i.e. Mount and Bruno are on virtually the same salary.

In addition, compare new signings in similar positions. Antony is very comparable to Sancho in terms of fee paid, age and position. We handed out £350,000 per week to Sancho, but 'only' £200,000 for Antony. Martinez has been signed at CB on a salary of £120,000, compared with Maguire (£190,000) and Varane (£340,000).

Finally, look at three of the top six salaries in 2023/24. Martial, Varane and Sancho account for £940,000 per annum, yet Varane is never fit and Sancho and Martial are bit-part players that the club seem willing to shift. When and if those three leave (and I expect that will be within 18-months), that average wage bill will come down even further. I'm certain we will not be paying their replacements anything like the crazy wages we've handed out previously.

So I reject the idea that there's been no progress or no change of course. I'd say there's clear evidence that a structure has been discussed and implemented and that the club are working to clear high earners from the balance sheet, with a view to bringing salaries under control. Of course, because of the very nature of a 'contract', they cant fix everything in 18-months.

2021/2022Salary2023/2024Salary
Ronaldo£480,000Sancho£350,000
Sancho£350,000Varane£340,000
DDG£350,000Casemiro£300,000
Varane£340,000Rashford£300,000
Pogba£290,000Martial£250,000
Martial£250,000Mount£250,000
Cavani£250,000Fernandes£240,000
Rashford£200,000Anthony£200,000
Maguire£190,000Maguire£190,000
Mata£160,000Eriksen£150,000
Fernandes£155,000Shaw£150,000
Shaw£150,000Lindelof£120,000
Lindelof£120,000Martinez£120,000
Fred£120,000DvdB£120,000
DvdB£120,000Onana£100,000
Matic£120,000AWB£90,000
Henderson£100,000Dalot£85,000
Telles£93,000Bailly£80,000
AWB£90,000Hojlund£80,000
Dalot£85,000Greenwood£75,000
Bailly£80,000Malacia£75,000
Jones£75,000McTominay£60,000
Lingard£75,000Garnacho£50,000
Greenwood£75,000Bayindir£50,000
McTominay£60,000
AVERAGE£175,120AVERAGE£159,375
TOTAL£4,378,000TOTAL£3,825,000
I highly doubt the Sancho earning 350k/week stat. From what I've seen, he's earning 250k/week + bonuses.

Cristiano Ronaldo has United’s highest salary, worth more than £400,000 per week, with David de Gea on £375,000 per week. Paul Pogba, Raphael Varane, Jadon Sancho, Edinson Cavani and Marcus Rashford are all believed to receive £200,000 per week or more, with Harry Maguire and Luke Shaw close to that figure.

I highly doubt the Sancho earning 350k/week stat. From what I've seen, he's earning 250k/week + bonuses.

We'll never know for sure but if you use the same source for each player/club it should be a level(ish) playing field.

Plus, we don't know the make-up of any of the salaries...one common gripe seems to be Antony's reported £200K per week, but for all we know it could be heavily incentivised.

Good job in keeping Maguire and Mctominay. Murtough and Fletcher deserve a raise. Does Murtough also has kids that he wants the club to buy like Fletcher?

We'll never know for sure but if you use the same source for each player/club it should be a level(ish) playing field.

Plus, we don't know the make-up of any of the salaries...one common gripe seems to be Antony's reported £200K per week, but for all we know it could be heavily incentivised.
I'm absolutely sure the base salaries are lower than the reported numbers.

I dont know why this club even needs a dof. Just hire a foot massager for manager and be done with it

All the blame lumbered towards the manager when the real individual who should be in charge of the teams direction is Murtough. It's absolutely despicable that on the premise of last season United have signed the players they have, who aren't bad individuals but seemingly haven't moved the needle with the overall quality of the first team.

Murtough only compounds the issue of the senseless ownership of the Glazers which filtrates itself to his position with his lack of decisiveness in his role. People keep mentioning the structure as being the issue when the man in charge himself has moved parts around to alleviate the poor experiences from Woodward, yet the club are reaping the exact same fruit ? It's nothing but incompetence of the highest order. People can focus on the manager but ought to look at his supposed superior.

After this summer, the structure and personnel don’t seem click and work out. At least, it doesn’t seem so by now.

All the blame lumbered towards the manager when the real individual who should be in charge of the teams direction is Murtough. It's absolutely despicable that on the premise of last season United have signed the players they have, who aren't bad individuals but seemingly haven't moved the needle with the overall quality of the first team.

Murtough only compounds the issue of the senseless ownership of the Glazers which filtrates itself to his position with his lack of decisiveness in his role. People keep mentioning the structure as being the issue when the man in charge himself has moved parts around to alleviate the poor experiences from Woodward, yet the club are reaping the exact same fruit ? It's nothing but incompetence of the highest order. People can focus on the manager but ought to look at his supposed superior.

This is what the club told us when he was promoted;

“John will have overall leadership and responsibility for operations and strategy across all football functions, reinforcing the strong foundations already in place. This appointment builds on the work John has already undertaken in recent years, working closely with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and the rest of the football staff to create the structures, processes and culture to deliver sustained success on the pitch. This has included successful overhauls of the club’s Academy and recruitment department.”

So this guy helped get us to the shit show we are, helped build the recruitment department that was subsequently deemed not fit for purpose. Instead of being held accountable he’s been absolved of any blame and given chance to do it all over again. Unsurprisingly it’s another shit show and I have no idea why anyone expected anything different.

“John will have overall leadership and responsibility for operations and strategy across all football functions, reinforcing the strong foundations already in place. This appointment builds on the work John has already undertaken in recent years, working closely with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and the rest of the football staff to create the structures, processes and culture to deliver sustained success on the pitch. This has included successful overhauls of the club’s Academy and recruitment department.”

So this guy helped get us to the shit show we are, helped build the recruitment department that was subsequently deemed not fit for purpose. Instead of being held accountable he’s been absolved of any blame and given chance to do it all over again. Unsurprisingly it’s another shit show and I have no idea why anyone expected anything different.
I laughed at "strong foundations already in place"

Surely you have to let those players get on the pitch together for a few games before deciding that and using it as a criticism?

I laughed at "strong foundations already in place"

I think they really believe that. I heard a journo recently say that United feel the criticism directed at them is over the top. I'd love to hear them explain why the team has struggled in recent years.

No-one within United in recent years should have been put in charge of recruitment. It's obvious they're bad at it. They should have hired the best from elsewhere. Instead we promoted our own proven incompetents.

Come on, Murtough fans, come out and defend this clown. I'm waiting

The thing is when he was appointed Woodward was tiptoeing around Ole like he was walking on eggshells. The club was at pains to stress that the manager would have a veto and that Murtough wasn't Ole's boss. So he was emasculated from the word go and he is just enjoying his salary and cushy post.

Enter ETH with his conditions around recruitment which Arnold and Murtough inexplicably agree to despite the fact that the former is coming from a vastly inferior league and would obviously have a tough period adjusting. We consequently wasted a summer chasing a player who had no interest in coming to us and ended up panic buying Casemiro, reverting to the short-termism that's cost us before.

It's like our football department is on autopilot, there is zero leadership and no accountability. No wonder these jokers didn't take kindly to a straight talker like Rangnick's who knew what we needed and how to do it. Letting him walk out of the door to appease lazy players and incompetent directors abdicating their leadership roles is exactly why we are where we were in 2021, 2019 and 2016.