Manchester City under Pep Guardiola | Pep on City v Liverpool ref: "He likes to be special"

I'm here for my post match analysis of Pep and can confirm he is still bald.
Indeed. If you look at him when he was playing he didn't look like a future cue ball. I guess the stresses of management really do wear him down.

I think it's going to be tough for them in the next two seasons. You can't instantly buy the league anymore and I think the novelty of playing for Pep factor is likely to die off to a degree. They have as lot of core players to replace and I think given their ages almost at wholesale rate. 2 full backs, a goalie and center back is probably needed and that's not even getting into the midfield.

I agree that full backs are a far more pressing concern but City still need at least one centre back. Stones won't stop his dodgy passes from the back with Pep in charge and isn't a great defender anyway and Kompany has constant injury problems. That leaves Otamendi and Kolarov, one of which isn't really a centre back. If Kompany can somehow manage to play consistently it solves the problem but there's no way you can rely on that happening.
Exactly. What i meant is that Pep needs a ball-playing CB to play his favourite style of play.

Pep will stick by Stones as his ball playing cb, because he's stubborn. but I think he's learned in England defenders need to be good defenders first and foremost. If kompany fitness holds up and we dont move tosin on over his contract demands, the 5 cbs will be the 4 from this season and him. Pep may keep kola for his versatility till his contract runs out. All thus of course relies on vinny finishing the season alive and well

On another note if we are in for Sanchez like most papers speculate I think Kun may be the one shipped out to cover the expense. If not we'd have an interchangeable front 6 of sanchez, Jesus, sterling, Sane, kdb and aguero. I'd hate to be nolito trying to get game time.

Also linked with tielemans today. Would give us a midfield of silva, Fernandinho, gundogan. Tielemans, Alex garcia and I think Delph will stay over Fernando.

Have no clue who our fullbacks will be but I imagine 100m or so will be going there.

Have no clue who our fullbacks will be but I imagine 100m or so will be going there.

Not any available überfullbacks out there, is it? Really large quality gap from what is available and what say for example RM has.

I reckon you may go for that Hysaj fellow. Might even try for Aurier, and we both will probably be battling it out for Fabinho who pretty much is tailor made for Pep's "tuck in" tactic with his versabillity between FB and DM.

Not any available überfullbacks out there, is it? Really large quality gap from what is available and what say for example RM has.

I reckon you may go for that Hysaj fellow. Might even try for Aurier, and we both will probably be battling it out for Fabinho who pretty much is tailor made for Pep's "tuck in" tactic with his versabillity between FB and DM.

Fabinho is one and rumours today are Barca may be willing to move Alba on if they get their target though they are tempted to loan him to sweeten the deal. We're heavily linked with Bertrand and Walker too. Can't see Levy selling to us though.

Kompany is a fantastic centre back when he's fit but City need to replace him. Stones is Stones we all know about him and Otamendi wouldn't fill me with confidence if I was a City fan.
Like i have already said, they should get a WC ball-playing CB, plus a youngster on a cheap.

Does anyone reckon Pep will try and buy full-back/CM hybrids so he can play how he tried early on in the season?

Like i have already said, they should get a WC ball-playing CB, plus a youngster on a cheap.

Theres no available. Bonucci would cost about £50m and thats too much for a 30 year old even by City standards and there is no guarantee Laporte will be the real deal. The perfect CB for us would cost simply too much or isn't available. Pep will have to do there. Fullback is the key area he'll look to strengthen.

Does anyone reckon Pep will try and buy full-back/CM hybrids so he can play how he tried early on in the season?

Fabinho is a cert. He'll be in for him without a doubt. Whether he'll choose us over others is another question but he's the ideal Pep RB/DLP. Dunno who could pull that role off at LeftBack, a cheeky bid for Blind maybe.

a cheeky bid for Blind maybe.

United to City and Mourinho to Pep transfer, very likely :D

If the rumours about Fabinho fancying a return to FB instead of DM is true I reckon you are in with a good shout for him. That being said I will be disappointed if we don't push for him as well, we need a DM and there aren't that many good ones out there.

Valencia not getting any younger either.

United to City and Mourinho to Pep transfer, very likely :D

If the rumours about Fabinho fancying a return to FB instead of DM is true I reckon you are in with a good shout for him. That being said I will be disappointed if we don't push for him as well, we need a DM and there aren't that many good ones out there.

Valencia not getting any younger either.

Strangely I think Blind suits Peps idea of a defender more than Joses and someone like Otamendi I could see thriving under Jose where he's not left exposed and can just focus on actual defending. Both possibly at the wrong clubs for their strengths.

Fabinho would be ideal for both clubs.
If we ended up with a back 4 of Fabinho--Kompany--Otamendi--Bertrand I'd be happy enough.

A midfield 3 of Fabinho, Herrera and Pogba sounds really tasty. Plenty of workrate, physique and talent on the ball. Would probably be the most balanced in the league.

I'd be perfectly happy to see us with a 25 man squad something like:
Bold are new signing's. Italic would be homegrown for Champs League.

GK: Oblak, Caballero, Gunn (anyone thats not Bravo)
RB: Fabinho, Maffeo
LB: Bertrand, Ricardo Rodriguez
CB: Kompany, Otamendi, Stones, Adarabioyo, Kolarov
MC: Fernandinho, Delph, Tielemans, Gundogan, Aleix Garcia, Silva
AMRL and C: KDB, Sterling, Sanchez, Sane,
FC: Aguero, Jesus, Iheanacho

HG at club would be Gunn, Adarabioyo, Garcia and I'm unsure on Kelechi.
HG in Nation: Bertrand, Stones, Delph, Sterling.

We'd have no bother complying with rules and regulations and even though it'd cost the best part of £200m its achievable imho, as our wage bill will be losing Yaya, Zabba, Sagna, Clichy, Fernando, Navas, Bony, Nasri, Nolito providing all could be moved on. We'd likely get transfer fee's for Fernando, Bony, Nolito and Nasri who should bring in a combined £50m which would be a hit on what we paid but thems the break.

Last edited:
Fabinho doesn't strike me as a Pep signing, especially not as a right back. I can see him being very interested in Mendy though.

Fabinho doesn't strike me as a Pep signing, especially not as a right back. I can see him being very interested in Mendy though.

Rumour has it we're already sizing him up, some believe its possibly a done deal already. I think he's perfect to play inverted fullback come midfielder that Pep couldn't do this year because our current fullbacks were terrible at it.

And what about Guardiola's comments about Michael Carrick?! He said Carrick is one of the best midfielders he ever saw and that he's the only United player that would fit his former Barca side lol Carrick's contract runs out this summer so my wild guess is there will be talks.. Guardiola praises a lot also Jack Wilshere.. I am curious if he wants to have more English/British players in the squad. You all know the core at his previous teams was from the local players.. There are rumours about Dele Alli too and Kyle Walker would be great solution for the right back..

Theres no available. Bonucci would cost about £50m and thats too much for a 30 year old even by City standards and there is no guarantee Laporte will be the real deal. The perfect CB for us would cost simply too much or isn't available. Pep will have to do there. Fullback is the key area he'll look to strengthen.
Laporte?

And what about Guardiola's comments about Michael Carrick?! He said Carrick is one of the best midfielders he ever saw and that he's the only United player that would fit his former Barca side lol Carrick's contract runs out this summer so my wild guess is there will be talks.. Guardiola praises a lot also Jack Wilshere.. I am curious if he wants to have more English/British players in the squad. You all know the core at his previous teams was from the local players.. There are rumours about Dele Alli too and Kyle Walker would be great solution for the right back..

I don't think he'd be an upgrade on Fernandinho in the holding role (Pep quite likes Fernandinho too), better with the ball but I think he'd be much less suited to the high press. There is also the fact he's very loyal to United.

Carrick isn't going to go to City. He's already said that after United that's probably it for him. There's no way he's going to leave us and join our bitter neighbours and rivals.

:lol:

Anyone spending more than 25- 30m on a keeper that isn't Neuer, Courtois, De Gea, and possibly Oblak, is a tool. Who on earth valued Ederson at 60m euros, and were they sober?

People expecting City to spend 200-300m ish are going to be very disappointed IMO. And half the names linked wont go there, guarantee it

I assume this is because he plans to heavily spend. Results are a must next season.

I assume this is because he plans to heavily spend. Results are a must next season.

Don't see where they would play really. They are not breaking up that attack, and you can't afford youngsters in defence with the gung-ho way Guardiola sets up his defence.

What he said about to the gap between the two levels is absolutely correct.

Wilson looked like Messi at Reserve level.

Don't see where they would play really. They are not breaking up that attack, and you can't afford youngsters in defence with the gung-ho way Guardiola sets up his defence.
Explain what is gung-ho for you?

What he said about to the gap between the two levels is absolutely correct.

Wilson looked like Messi at Reserve level.
I cannot understand why there is so many resistance to introduce B teams in England, even in Portugal they have been reintroduced 5 years ago and our results at youth levels improved a lot.

Ok it doesn't solve all the problems but I agree with him, I don't know the level at where this kids in England are playing, but it is not the same thing having 18/19/20 and be playing against more experienced players in lower divisions than playing against reserve teams where they have similar ages.

I cannot understand why there is so many resistance to introduce B teams in England, even in Portugal they have been reintroduced 5 years ago and our results at youth levels improved a lot.

Ok it doesn't solve all the problems but I agree with him, I don't know the level at where this kids in England are playing, but it is not the same thing having 18/19/20 and be playing against more experienced players in lower divisions than playing against reserve teams where they have similar ages.

There is a lot more fully professional clubs in England than there is anywhere else. It would be unfair to knock clubs out the league system for reserve clubs.

City are still frontrunners to win next season, especially since City can write blank checks and the Pep factor....

They get the brazilian GK, Grimaldo at LB and aurier at RB, and sanchez or isco.

Problem for Pep is the midfield. There isn't a huge market available for Pep. With Gundogan consistently injury record and yaya off the books. Pep going to need 2 new guys at least in the midfield. Also, I wouldnt be surprised if KDB got sold this summer or the next

There is a lot more fully professional clubs in England than there is anywhere else. It would be unfair to knock clubs out the league system for reserve clubs.
Keeping trying the same thing for decades and hoping to change is somewhat stupid in my opinion.

City are still frontrunners to win next season, especially since City can write blank checks and the Pep factor....

They get the brazilian GK, Grimaldo at LB and aurier at RB, and sanchez or isco.

Problem for Pep is the midfield. There isn't a huge market available for Pep. With Gundogan consistently injury record and yaya off the books. Pep going to need 2 new guys at least in the midfield. Also, I wouldnt be surprised if KDB got sold this summer or the next

People have been saying City are the front runners every year for about half a decade now.

There's no other option. If the FA want to improve the situation, they will have to introduce a way for the B teams for some teams to be able to play in professional competitions.
It's shitty for some clubs but the FA will have to decide what's more important to them.

That's the silliest thing I've heard all week, and it's Saturday so I've heard some ridiculous stuff.

People have been saying City are the front runners every year for about half a decade now.

Every year we keep getting told they have the strongest squad. The bookies already have them as favourites for next season. Amazing really seeing as they need about 5 more players to challenge & nobody has any idea who they are going to sign yet.