Manchester City under Pep Guardiola | Pep on City v Liverpool ref: "He likes to be special"

This is debated amongst City fans all the time. 'Why doesn't he adjust his style to accommodate players that clearly can't play his brand?'

I think it's partly arrogance, and partly because it's the reason he was head hunted for years. To play his brand.
He is going to play only one way , they way he knows, He is a disciple of Cyruff and Van gaal. One who considers their philosophy complete but have no plan B when the opponent waits in the box for mistakes to counter. He aint gonna change for any team Unlike Klopp or Mourinho and will only manage a team who have a chance to pull it off.

And that's one of his weakness which Epl clubs are ready to exploit.

They may be worst than they were under Pellegrini. Maybe that Guardiola is underachieving, I still think that they'll destroy us at the Etihad in April.

They're still better than us and they have player that can produce when we not

They may be worst than they were under Pellegrini. Maybe that Guardiola is underachieving, I still think that they'll destroy us at the Etihad in April.

They're still better than us and they have player that can produce when we not

:lol: Dont make judgements based the octobor fixture, just yet. We only struggle to score goals against bus parking teams but win the midfield and defense while city leak goals and the midfield control is also not so much there. If we attack their leaky defense we have a chance of scoring but we can manage not to conceed under Mourinho.

Why is Navas playing as RB? Isn't Pep good at promoting players from academy, why didn't he play some youngsters who is a proper RB? After all City's youth team is doing very well in the last few years.

Again, it's one more myth that grew a lot in years.

they have not won anything yet, we have two trophies in the bank, they are ahead by a few points in th league but out of the champions league, we still have a chance to win a European trophy. as it could not be worse their season so far??
Not yet. If they make top 4 and we don't win the EL we definetely have not had a better season.

they have not won anything yet, we have two trophies in the bank, they are ahead by a few points in th league but out of the champions league, we still have a chance to win a European trophy. as it could not be worse their season so far??

Nonsense. They have a better team with better players aswell as playing better football. They will end up in the top 4 and have been representing there country in Europe's top competition and they will potentially win the FA cup. I can't get excited by the europa or winning the milk cup and being 5th after having 10 draws at home against weaker opposition. For a team like Man Utd we've had a far worse season than them and have done for a while now.

Last edited:
Nonsense. They have a better team with better players aswell as playing better football. They will end up in the top 4 and have been representing there country in Europe's top completion and they will potentially win the FA cup. I can't get excited by the europa or winning the milk cup and being 5th after having 10 draws at home against weaker opposition. For a team like Man Utd we've had a far worse season than them and have done for a while now.
EL is a bit better than milk cup cause it's a European trophy and a way to CL so a far better season is a bit of a stretch if we win EL and they win the Fa cup. If there don't win anything and we win EL we'll have a better season definitely.

Nonsense. They have a better team with better players aswell as playing better football. They will end up in the top 4 and have been representing there country in Europe's top competition and they will potentially win the FA cup. I can't get excited by the europa or winning the milk cup and being 5th after having 10 draws at home against weaker opposition. For a team like Man Utd we've had a far worse season than them and have done for a while now.
All of this despite having a worse big game record than us this season and being 1 point ahead if we win our game in hand.
Grass is always greener huh?

Pep after drawing 1-1 with Liverpool: "This is one of the most special days of my life"

Pep after losing 2-1 to Chelsea: "I'm happier than against Arsenal when we drew - and today we lost."

Is it me or do his post-match comments seem a bit strange and incongruous with reality?

I love them, he comes across as completely unhinged mentally. I expect him to one day rip the reporter's heart out with his bare hands and begin eating it while mumbling how he's so happy to be here.

All of this despite having a worse big game record than us this season and being 1 point ahead if we win our game in hand.
Grass is always greener huh?

It doesn't tell the whole story that for me mate. It's alright saying they have the worst "big game" record than us but it says something when we can't beat all the other dross in the league. I'm just saying we've not had a better season than city whether people like to admit it or not. Yeah they could be just 1 point infront of us yet they've just played Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea the last 3 games and we're still 4 points behind them and still have to play them at there place. You only need to look at there run in until the end of the season....They've got top 4 nailed on. For me being in the europa league, winning the league cup a competion that we used to laugh at and finishing 5th or 6th isn't an achievement for a club like us with the money we've spent.

I'll take his exaggerated positivity over a constantly bitching Moaninho every day.

I've been saying it for years, Pep is a decent manager but has been really luck in the sense that he has gone to the right clubs at the right times.

He inherited a Barcelona team with Messi, Xavi, Iniesta etc. All he had to to was add a bit more talent and the rest was almost guaranteed. He then went to a league where Bayern completely dominate and if anyone comes close, they just buy their best players. Lots of people said to me, "Pep doesn't need to spend like Jose, he wins with his tactics". Well 160m spent last summer and struggling most of the season, proves that theory wrong.

Pep is going to have a MASSIVE wake up call in the next few years in this league and so are he lemming supporters.

EL is a bit better than milk cup cause it's a European trophy and a way to CL so a far better season is a bit of a stretch if we win EL and they win the Fa cup. If there don't win anything and we win EL we'll have a better season definitely.
And EL winner gets better seeding than 4th, no qualifying round too. Glorifying friendly against CL winner > friendly vs league winner too.

I'll take his exaggerated positivity over a constantly bitching Moaninho every day.
That's called delusion mate. It's just as bad imo...

I love them, he comes across as completely unhinged mentally. I expect him to one day rip the reporter's heart out with his bare hands and begin eating it while mumbling how he's so happy to be here.

Both were disappointing results. He is just trying to keep morale up he totally over cooks it.

Him and Kloppo are both mentally unhinged. Don't forget Pep beaming like a clown when he lost to us in the Carling Cup as well.

Him and Kloppo are both mentally unhinged. Don't forget Pep beaming like a clown when he lost to us in the Carling Cup as well.
He must find this new experience of losing games interesting since he didn't have too much chance to loss games with his previous clubs in other leagues. Enjoy & keep being a happy man, Pep ;)

Of course you would. As expected from a Bayern fan. Same with City and Barca fans.

It's not just exaggerated too. It's completely unnatural.

All the new managers deserve at least one full season before being judged. I have no doubt City will be competing til the end next season once Pep gets enough of his type of players so he can play his way.

I have no clue what Jose will do though. He's been known for his defensive aptitude but the issue with Utd is their attack. He needs to address the tactics and the midfield. With the players you've got its baffling how you're not one of the free scoring teams in the league.

Yeah, uhm, he's going to need to make changes to his philosophy if he's to succeed at city and in the prem. The fact is its impossible for city to have a squad of the quality that Barca have had for the past little while, regardless of how much they spend in the market. In case no one has actually realised, its very difficult to buy a group of outrageously talented and productive players in today's football. You can have a galactico project, but you wont find galacticos as they play for massive clubs that'll give them exactly what you're offering. The days of his team being able to play a team off the park to an extent where they barely get a corner through the 90 are long gone. Sadly, if his team can't do that then they'll be conceding goals.

I see some are convinced he'll be making huge improvements to his team in the market, but Sane, sterling and stones will set you back 140 million in this market and none of them are world class.

one thing about him though is that he is clearly willing to learn. Or at least that's what he says.

Yeah, uhm, he's going to need to make changes to his philosophy if he's to succeed at city and in the prem. The fact is its impossible for city to have a squad of the quality that Barca have had for the past little while, regardless of how much they spend in the market. In case no one has actually realised, its very difficult to buy a group of outrageously talented and productive players in today's football. You can have a galactico project, but you wont find galacticos as they play for massive clubs that'll give them exactly what you're offering. The days of his team being able to play a team off the park to an extent where they barely get a corner through the 90 are long gone. Sadly, if his team can't do that then they'll be conceding goals.

I see some are convinced he'll be making huge improvements to his team in the market, but Sane, sterling and stones will set you back 140 million in this market and none of them are world class.

one thing about him though is that he is clearly willing to learn. Or at least that's what he says.
Changing philosophy is never a thing with someone like Pep. He's not learning to change, but learning more odd tactics just to tweak his system in the direction to counter physical demanding, direct football.

Changing philosophy is never a thing with someone like Pep. He's not learning to change, but learning more odd tactics just to tweak his system in the direction to counter physical demanding, direct football.

I don't think it's even that complicated. For all the criticisms hurled his way, Manchester City (whenever I've watched them) regularly create clear chances, and score a good proportion of them, against sides of all qualities in the league. Even those that park the bus and have 9 men behind the ball.

I think the problem of them leaking many goals is one that can be easily rectified next season with either better defenders, or change in tactics that allow the midfield and defense to smother transition attacks quicker. That was one of the things Barcelona under Pep did so well, they took the second option for a counter away from you and had the ball back in seconds. If Pep can work on that along with defending at set pieces (also looking at you Klopp), then his team will be in the title hunt next season. In my amateur opinion of course.

On a more general note, I don't buy all this bollocks about needing to neuter his style to excel in the Premier League. The rhetoric is easily filed under the "Premier League is the most difficult league" crap spouted every weekend, which conveniently ignores the fact that we've had 2 league champions make the title race a one man affair for 2 years running now.

I don't think it's even that complicated. For all the criticisms hurled his way, Manchester City (whenever I've watched them) regularly create clear chances, and score a good proportion of them, against sides of all qualities in the league. Even those that park the bus and have 9 men behind the ball.

I think the problem of them leaking many goals is one that can be easily rectified next season with either better defenders, or change in tactics that allow the midfield and defense to smother transition attacks quicker. That was one of the things Barcelona under Pep did so well, they took the second option for a counter away from you and had the ball back in seconds. If Pep can work on that along with defending at set pieces (also looking at you Klopp), then his team will be in the title hunt next season. In my amateur opinion of course.

On a more general note, I don't buy all this bollocks about needing to neuter his style to excel in the Premier League. The rhetoric is easily filed under the "Premier League is the most difficult league" crap spouted every weekend, which conveniently ignores the fact that we've had 2 league champions make the title race a one man affair for 2 years running now.
It's the defending against direct, physical teams that they can't find answer to is what I was implying in my previous post, so I am partially agreeing with you. I don't think it's just as easy to get better defenders, GK or defensive midfielders for Pep. He wants specific type of players to fit his philosophy too so it's very hard to get those players since technical players tend to not physical gifted. Someone who has both attributes like Pogba, Bailly, arguably Stones would take alot of experience to fine tune their game, and hard to find too. To have something like Barcelona team back then is not realistic in the near future given the competition for these players' signature with even Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern, Juventus will need to replace, upgrade their currently declining midfielders.

Pep's midfield system at Bayern didn't work out well. They can't control/ totally dominate midfield enough against strong teams since their forwards are less play maker and prefer direct play than Pep would want. Pep tweak his play a bit toward Luiz Enriquez's Barcelona toward the end of his Bayern tenure; and brought that to City. They are already quicker in transition for a possession football team, but doing so meaning less control & open more for counter attacking team. Luiz Enrique's Barcelona was able to get away with it due to their crazy front line. There's hardly any front line in similar style which is comparable.

So Pep can't control midfield enough, nor lethal enough when loosen the control. He's not adapting to having a target man where they can pump the ball into and let him hold up play. His philosophy means his team would always prioritize build up from the back, exploit pocket of space between lines, and positioning play moving the team together in attack & defense. It's never a transitioning team under Pep.

One thing about Pep's barca was that they'd never lose the ball in midfield. That meant that their efficiency when attacking was really high and they could camp in the final third all day long knowing the opposition are going to have to build all the way from the defence. All they'd do is smother the defenders and first receivers in midfield then voila, they've got the ball back and are attacking again.

Problem is he isnt going to get a midfield of that caliber ever again. He has to make do with midfields that are going to lose the ball so the team is going to have to be good at transitioning back and getting into shape like the rest of us, sadly for city, he's never shown that he's capable of coaching in that manner. His reliance on the high press will cost him success if he doesnt adjust his tactics. Out of all the big teams in the league, they are the most vulnerable side in the league after losing the ball in midfield, if they didnt do so they'd probably lead the league.

We all saw what happened to pep's bayern in the CL when they starting losing the ball in midfield against the bigger sides, they got torched.

base on what?
This season against Spurs, Blues and Gunners they won only one game.
"zero tituli" so far

Last edited:
It's not how many times they lose the ball, it's about where and how they lose it. That's the difference. I think Pep doesn't trust his goalscorers right now. Not enough anyways

It's not how many times they lose the ball, it's about where and how they lose it. That's the difference. I think Pep doesn't trust his goalscorers right now. Not enough anyways
He's certainly been more critical of our finishing than any other aspect of our play.
I get the feeling that he thinks that aspect of the game can be greatly improved and he's letting those responsible know it.
The defence gets a lot of stick in the press and online but such as Sagna/Zab/Kolarov/Otamendi are all playing as well as they can and blasting them will achieve nothing.
Clichy and Bravo's confidence is already shot and Willy has had a couple of poor games after a run of good ones so again no value in putting the boot in.
The personnel are not really up to the job and more care should have been taken before deciding to go with them but now that we're stuck with them Pep's job is to try to polish the turd the best he can and insist that we have the right players in place for the start of next season.
I think that we were waiting on not blocking the path of such as Denayer, Maffeo, Angelino and Adarabioyo from the Academy before lashing out Megabucks on outside players but only Maffeo looks up to it so the gamble taken misfired pretty badly there.
It can't be underestimated how important getting some graduates through into the first team on merit is. The common narrative about them not getting a chance in the first team is stinging and we desperately want a trophy player that can be held up to disprove the critics but that's another debate altogether.

Guardiola's team has suffered heavily this year because of the lacklustre finishing. The strategy for City is usually to create as many goal scoring chances early on and then retain the ball whilst tiring out the opposition.

If he has De Bruyne and Silva playing in the centre, that means they usually create chances and overload the flanks, but the downside is that they concede a lot of direct counters through the centre.

If Manchester City don't score first they have a problem because their most creative players Kevin De Bruyne, Silva and Yaya Toure are not athletic enough so they cannot cover a lot of ground so if they are still chasing a goal they have a lot of ground to defend, something they simply are not capable of so it is a big risk and reward situation, Cruijffian in its essence.

He could try a more defesive midfield but like Lord Cruijff he always strives for his teams to be protagonists.

Aguero is a major problem not just because of his lack of scoring when the chances ate created, but because of his hold up play at end his extremely poor decision making. He constantly puts his team under pressure when he has his back to goal. Gabriel Jesus held the ball up better and utilised the third man more, which underpins the whole essence of Guardiolas philosphy. He also makes the wrong pass almost all the time and he gets dispossessed when he tries bulldozing into culdesacs rather than trying passing to an open teammate who can rUn into space. He has to be let go in the summer.

At Barcelona, the players grew up using the basic positional play template that Pep grew up in and espoused. He also had Messi who was arguably the most lethal finisher in the modern era during Guardiola's Barcelona tenure and so they converted their chances when he was involved.

When they went through a lean spell of scoring in the second half of the 2010/11 season with Pedro and David Villa misfiring constantly, they still ceded less chances because he had the greatest controller in footballs history in the form of Xavi Hernandez, who is the most press resistant and best ball retainer the game has probably ever seen.

Having Gundogan in the team would have eliminated a few prolems as he is more press resistant and more mobile than De Bruyne and he doesn't need to operate in the half space to be ands effective meaning that he can occupy central zones when Manchester City are in their defensive phase.

Mbappe could could be a viable option as he has the pace, youth and seems to be very good in the box and he is flexible.

Centrally, ideally the perfect player for Guardiola in the premiership would be a press resistant midfielder that is great at winning second balls and can cover a lot of ground. A player fitting that profile doesn't exist to my knowledge. Thiago would have been a great purchase but he will renew at Bayern Munchen. Another good option could be Paeredes from Roma who and Carvalho from Sporting.

The full backs also need to be upgraded as they too cannot cover the space required if City are to carry on playing their high risk football.

With regards to his strategy, the team also doesn't have very tall players or players that are good aerially which means that they must execute their plan very well and can't rely on set pieces. Now more than ever, Guardiola is going to have to even follow the Cruijffian ideal and his position game with even more conviction than ever. It is better to die by your own sword than someone else's.

Guardiola's team has suffered heavily this year because of the lacklustre finishing. The strategy for City is usually to create as many goal scoring chances early on and then retain the ball whilst tiring out the opposition.

If he has De Bruyne and Silva playing in the centre, that means they usually create chances and overload the flanks, but the downside is that they concede a lot of direct counters through the centre.

If Manchester City don't score first they have a problem because their most creative players Kevin De Bruyne, Silva and Yaya Toure are not athletic enough so they cannot cover a lot of ground so if they are still chasing a goal they have a lot of ground to defend, something they simply are not capable of so it is a big risk and reward situation, Cruijffian in its essence.

He could try a more defesive midfield but like Lord Cruijff he always strives for his teams to be protagonists.

Aguero is a major problem not just because of his lack of scoring when the chances ate created, but because of his hold up play at end his extremely poor decision making. He constantly puts his team under pressure when he has his back to goal. Gabriel Jesus held the ball up better and utilised the third man more, which underpins the whole essence of Guardiolas philosphy. He also makes the wrong pass almost all the time and he gets dispossessed when he tries bulldozing into culdesacs rather than trying passing to an open teammate who can rUn into space. He has to be let go in the summer.

At Barcelona, the players grew up using the basic positional play template that Pep grew up in and espoused. He also had Messi who was arguably the most lethal finisher in the modern era during Guardiola's Barcelona tenure and so they converted their chances when he was involved.

When they went through a lean spell of scoring in the second half of the 2010/11 season with Pedro and David Villa misfiring constantly, they still ceded less chances because he had the greatest controller in footballs history in the form of Xavi Hernandez, who is the most press resistant and best ball retainer the game has probably ever seen.

Having Gundogan in the team would have eliminated a few prolems as he is more press resistant and more mobile than De Bruyne and he doesn't need to operate in the half space to be ands effective meaning that he can occupy central zones when Manchester City are in their defensive phase.

Mbappe could could be a viable option as he has the pace, youth and seems to be very good in the box and he is flexible.

Centrally, ideally the perfect player for Guardiola in the premiership would be a press resistant midfielder that is great at winning second balls and can cover a lot of ground. A player fitting that profile doesn't exist to my knowledge. Thiago would have been a great purchase but he will renew at Bayern Munchen. Another good option could be Paeredes from Roma who and Carvalho from Sporting.

The full backs also need to be upgraded as they too cannot cover the space required if City are to carry on playing their high risk football.

With regards to his strategy, the team also doesn't have very tall players or players that are good aerially which means that they must execute their plan very well and can't rely on set pieces. Now more than ever, Guardiola is going to have to even follow the Cruijffian ideal and his position game with even more conviction than ever. It is better to die by your own sword than someone else's.
Very likely he will be brought in.
The right people think so and Pep's brother Pere is Carvalho's agent.

Pep's biggest error was that he didn't stay at Barca. What's the point to try to make other teams play like Barcelona when you can manage the real thing? He could have won 5 CLs at Barca. Sometimes having a team which shares your vision trumps everything else.

Pep's biggest error was that he didn't stay at Barca. What's the point to try to make other teams play like Barcelona when you can manage the real thing? He could have won 5 CLs at Barca. Sometimes having a team which shares your vision trumps everything else.
Why Johan Cruyff didnt stay at Ajax instead of going to Barca and create dinasty there?! There are many reasons but i believe one of most important one (wich is important for Pep too) is to try to prove that his ideology, his vision can be instilled everywhere, not just at his home club. Pep is the real ambassador of this type of football now and while he is collecting some serious cash he is spreading the knowledge.

Why Johan Cruyff didnt stay at Ajax instead of going to Barca and create dinasty there?! There are many reasons but i believe one of most important one (wich is important for Pep too) is to try to prove that his ideology, his vision can be instilled everywhere, not just at his home club. Pep is the real ambassador of this type of football now and while he is collecting some serious cash he is spreading the knowledge.

For the same reason that Messi is not moving. One you get where you want to be and where you belong you stay.

Pep would tell you that the politics at Barca exhausted him, hence the year off. Why would he want to stay at such a club ? It may be his first love but clearly he felt the relationship was unsustainable and has no intention of going back.