Man United v Liverpool Post Match

Judas

Open to offers
Aside from losing it’s still the lack of creativity and chances. I know this wasn’t our first team but I still expected a little more. If, like you say, it means bugger all then what is the point in pre season? Is it just an exercise for getting the United name out there even more? One thing is for sure, It may mean bugger all to us but to Liverpool it meant everything and rightly so. From this they’ll probably hit the ground running. Let’s hope United can but do you honestly think they will?
Its nothing but a fitness thing and more and more an advertising thing. I doubt it meant everything to Liverpool, and if it did, it showed their small time mentality.

cyberman

I genuinely thought it was a fake quote that some scouser had made up. Can't believe Jose basically said Sanchez wasn't happy because he was surrounded by a load of shite
He didn't say shite now, he was surrounded by players that aren't ready to play for the first team.
He's a bit sour with it but I'd accept that level of honesty over fans hiding behind empty phrases such as Utd way or how we excel in bringing youth through etc.
We can't talk ourselves into our youth players being ready / good enough

buckooo1978

He didn't say shite now, he was surrounded by players that aren't ready to play for the first team.
He's a bit sour with it but I'd accept that level of honesty over fans hiding behind empty phrases such as Utd way or how we excel in bringing youth through etc.
We can't talk ourselves into our youth players being ready / good enough
even if you think it you don't say it

the man is a cock and i'm amazed anyone can defend that quote

Keane was moved on for less and there's fantastic potential in many of our youth players - why on Earth would you insult them like that

Hisha

Supports
OLE OLE OLE I LOVE YOU
Jaysus the overreaction in here. Lads, we were without....
  1. De Gea
  2. Romero
  3. Smalling
  4. Jones
  5. Lindelof
  6. Rojo
  7. Valencia
  8. Young
  9. Shaw
  10. Dalot
  11. Matic
  12. Fellaini
  13. Pogba
  14. Lingard
  15. Rashford
  16. Martial
  17. Lukaku
Oh and Fred only had 2 days of training with his new team and played just 15 mins to get a run-out. Technically without 18 first teamers.

So Mourinho was right when he said he had 2/3s of his squad missing. Which of course has an impact on the other 3rd as they have to play 75 mins of every friendly if the team is to maintain a semi -competent core through the match. These friendlies might be a good chance for some youngsters to mingle with the first team and try to impress, but as far as drawing conclusions about the first team go or preparing the team for the season... they are utterly useless.

I guess we couldn’t have known that England, France and Belgium would all play till the last weekend of the World Cup but we also have to question the wisdom of planning a US tour during a World Cup year with so many players potentially missing. PSG took an equally depleted squad to Singapore to get thrashed 5-1 by Arsenal. Equally pointless.

I understand the worries about our style of play or about the manager being a moany cnut. And I share them. But then we didn’t have a particular style with our first team last season (when we finished second) so expecting it from this cobbled together crew of mostly youngsters is kinda of unrealistic. And Mourinho will always be this dour, miserable, negative manager till the day he retires. We know that too.

Last year was an improvement on the year before, which itself was an improvement on LVGs last season. I’m pretty sure we all agreed on that. Let’s see if he can improve this team again this year, like he has done before. Judge him on the actual results and yes even the football played, but that of the first team. If the results and standard of football fall short then I’d be up for binning him too, seen as his demeanour is not exactly redeeming.

But we’ve not seen the first team yet or something different from Mourinho, in terms of attitude or tactics, that was unexpected. So chill the feck out.
Great post mate, great post. After reading some of the very over the top reactions and hatred on here, I was about to make a similar post, but then i saw your post. Thank you, you saved my time. I wish all our fans were as sensible as you are.

But having said that, I am really worried about this season. Not coz of the pre-season results, but coz of the absence of most of our first teamers and I am sure that most of them won't be fit enough for the first few matches. Matic, Valencia, Fred and Dalot are injured. And it seems Martial is on his way out. We badly need 2-3 more signings within a week.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I knew this thread was going to be hard work today.

I'm not abandoning all hope just yet. We've still got our first team to come back and the possibility of one or two more signings.

Chill out.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
We started the game in the following lineup:

Grant, Darmian, Fosu-Mensah, Bailly, Tuanzebe, Mitchell, McTominay, Herrera, Pereira, Mata, Sanchez.

Bailly and Sanchez are the only genuine first-teamers in the entire lineup.

Stop making a mountain out of a molehill.

cyberman

even if you think it you don't say it

the man is a cock and i'm amazed anyone can defend that quote

Keane was moved on for less and there's fantastic potential in many of our youth players - why on Earth would you insult them like that
Its not even the quality of the youth, all but Pereira couldn't play a forward pass all game.
I'd include Mata in that as well. Our youth have a habit of coasting over the last few seasons if we're being honest. Performances like last night aren't acceptable at any level

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Jaysus the overreaction in here. Lads, we were without....
  1. De Gea
  2. Romero
  3. Smalling
  4. Jones
  5. Lindelof
  6. Rojo
  7. Valencia
  8. Young
  9. Shaw
  10. Dalot
  11. Matic
  12. Fellaini
  13. Pogba
  14. Lingard
  15. Rashford
  16. Martial
  17. Lukaku
Oh and Fred only had 2 days of training with his new team and played just 15 mins to get a run-out. Technically without 18 first teamers.

So Mourinho was right when he said he had 2/3s of his squad missing. Which of course has an impact on the other 3rd as they have to play 75 mins of every friendly if the team is to maintain a semi -competent core through the match. These friendlies might be a good chance for some youngsters to mingle with the first team and try to impress, but as far as drawing conclusions about the first team go or preparing the team for the season... they are utterly useless.

I guess we couldn’t have known that England, France and Belgium would all play till the last weekend of the World Cup but we also have to question the wisdom of planning a US tour during a World Cup year with so many players potentially missing. PSG took an equally depleted squad to Singapore to get thrashed 5-1 by Arsenal. Equally pointless.

I understand the worries about our style of play or about the manager being a moany cnut. And I share them. But then we didn’t have a particular style with our first team last season (when we finished second) so expecting it from this cobbled together crew of mostly youngsters is kinda of unrealistic. And Mourinho will always be this dour, miserable, negative manager till the day he retires. We know that too.

Last year was an improvement on the year before, which itself was an improvement on LVGs last season. I’m pretty sure we all agreed on that. Let’s see if he can improve this team again this year, like he has done before. Judge him on the actual results and yes even the football played, but that of the first team. If the results and standard of football fall short then I’d be up for binning him too, seen as his demeanour is not exactly redeeming.

But we’ve not seen the first team yet or something different from Mourinho, in terms of attitude or tactics, that was unexpected. So chill the feck out.
People need to listen to this guy. And remember the dippers had to dive for two of their goals.

If we get this type of performance and result against leicester, then i'll be worried.

AlwaysRed66

The man desperately needs to have some PR lessons. He's bang on about our main squad being MIA though.
See 6:47 - the absolute contempt with which he uses the term 'soccer' :lol: he looked like he wanted to strangle the journalist with her upbeat question about promoting football in America. Poor Woman.
That part I totally agreed with. It is only called Soccer there because of the American Football rubbish.

Last edited:

MadMike

But having said that, I am really worried about this season. Not coz of the pre-season results, but coz of the absence of most of our first teamers and I am sure that most of them won't be fit enough for the first few matches. Matic, Valencia, Fred and Dalot are injured. And it seems Martial is on his way out. We badly need 2-3 more signings within a week.
I am as well. I'm more worried about our attack because we're missing all our strikers and it leaves you wondering where the goals will come from. Which was a problem area last season. This is the worst time for Martial to be going AWOL, he was on the plan to start against Leicester up front with Sanchez.

I'm kinda expecting a slow start to our season due to all the absences. Hope I'm proven wrong and if it does happen, I hope we recover from it quick enough to mount a challenge at least.

Beaucoup

Am I missing something today? I’ve just watched the press conference and don’t see the problem with anything Mourinho said, the Alexis quote flying around isn’t what he actually said, and People analysing the way he said the word “soccer” need to give their fecking head a wobble ffs.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Am I missing something today? I’ve just watched the press conference and don’t see the problem with anything Mourinho said, the Alexis quote flying around isn’t what he actually said, and People analysing the way he said the word “soccer” need to give their fecking head a wobble ffs.
I've watched it twice and I am still yet to discover the shockingly negative attitude Jose is supposed to have expressed.

People are either lying or simply lack basic comprehension skills.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
We started the game in the following lineup:

Grant, Darmian, Fosu-Mensah, Bailly, Tuanzebe, Mitchell, McTominay, Herrera, Pereira, Mata, Sanchez.

Bailly and Sanchez are the only genuine first-teamers in the entire lineup.

Stop making a mountain out of a molehill.
how can actually anyone defend this?? Grant is a PL quality keeper, Darmian has nearly 100 starts for our club, Fosu-Mensah, premier league player, although young, McTominay played also in some bigger games last season, Mata started for us more often than not, on of the best attacking players in the league even a bit past it, Herrera proven premier league player POTY 2016, only rookies are Mitchell and Tuanzebe

Compared to Liverpool, who are the genuine starters for them like you mentioned? Only Salah, Mane and Van Dijk, Milner and Lallana are also not starters. Moreno is shit, Camacho and Grabara are teenegers of the same age as Gomes/Chong

Second half they send players like Gomez, Grujic, Chirivella, Jones, Ojo, Phillips, Woodburn in which world is this their starting 11? And they even got better second half and absolutely pinned us to the box, and maybe it is because of their manager can actually apply his philosophy and has tactics...

In which world is to hoof the ball to their centreback any legit tactics. Jose Mourinho became an absolute shambolic manager and I can only laugh if someone like you still believe his rhetorics. He made you believe that we played completely B team/ youngsters against first teamers, whereas they played about the same team and completely dominated us. It is still a fecking derby and we shouldn't be battered like this.

It is also up to him a s manager that he put trust into dross players like McTominay and Darmian and made them play for the first team.

And this is just talking about his tactics and football approach. If we talk about how how shit he talks in the media about the players and the club, how he always defends himself first. He is a selfish moron who should be sacked asap because if he stays longer the negativity around him will force some of the players out and the complete meltdown is coming for sure..

whatagoodname

Supports
Liverpool
I don't really but into the idea that "it's just pre season" because, you know, the whole point of pre season is to be ready for the not pre season.

This was a weird game though. Liverpool put a full strength team out, kicked lumps out of the United players all game, and salah and Mane kept diving and then claiming for penalties. They were playing with a massive chip on their shoulder against what was basically a United reserve side, in pre season, so of course they were going to win and I'm not sure what point they think they have proven. I can't remember us playing a pre season game like this before, where we play decent opposition and they come out as if they've been preparing and stewing over it for weeks like it's a cup game.

The concern for me is the same as the other pre season games...we just don't have enough players and the teams Jose is picking makes me very concerned he's actually planning to start the season that way.
We fielded a pretty strong first half team, but to say we were full strength is a massive stretch.
Missed
Our top 3 keepers
Clyne
TAA
Lovren
Matip
Henderson
Gini
Keita
Henderson
Firmino

Our second half team was mostly u-23.. and I'd say guess our first half team had 3 players that will be in our starting 11. Albeit 3 of our most important.

You missed depth for sure, but you werent trotting out a team like city or PSG. Still had experience in there. Average age of your starting 11 was actually older than ours.

Kidders

I genuinely thought it was a fake quote that some scouser had made up. Can't believe Jose basically said Sanchez wasn't happy because he was surrounded by a load of shite
If Jose meant 'surrounded by a load of shite' (I have'nt heard the quote) then he is referring to Mata, Herrera, Periera and McTominay, and maybe you should throw in the wing-backs Darmian & Mitchell as well.
So where's the controversy ? Mata has passed his sell by date and was anonymous, Herrera (captain btw) has suffered one of the biggest fall from grace I have known (POTY to Club Jester), McTominay should not be anywhere near a United first team, Darmian wants away, Mitchell was unsure of what he was supposed to be doing and Periera struggled because of the lack of cohesion between him Herrera & McTominay and seemed to throw in the towel early in the second half (maybe he's had too much game time on this pointless tour) ?
I'm not a great fan of the Sanchez signing (he's the reason Martial wants away), but he deserves to play alongside better players than those above, that said how many will start against Leicester ?

whatagoodname

Supports
Liverpool
If Jose meant 'surrounded by a load of shite' (I have'nt heard the quote) then he is referring to Mata, Herrera, Periera and McTominay, and maybe you should throw in the wing-backs Darmian & Mitchell as well.
So where's the controversy ? Mata has passed his sell by date and was anonymous, Herrera (captain btw) has suffered one of the biggest fall from grace I have known (POTY to Club Jester), McTominay should not be anywhere near a United first team, Darmian wants away, Mitchell was unsure of what he was supposed to be doing and Periera struggled because of the lack of cohesion between him Herrera & McTominay and seemed to throw in the towel early in the second half (maybe he's had too much game time on this pointless tour) ?
I'm not a great fan of the Sanchez signing (he's the reason Martial wants away), but he deserves to play alongside better players than those above, that said how many will start against Leicester ?
Surely the conversation is more about whether it's appropriate to say that to the media? You may be right, the players you listed may not be good enough, just doesnt do much for morale when you basically disown 70% of your touring preseason squad.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Darmian will still be here to play the first couple of games by which time Young will be back, I'm more worried about who's playing LB
You would presume Shaw until Young has had his allocated rest, but I just get the impression Young will try to come back early.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
how can actually anyone defend this?? Grant is a PL quality keeper, Darmian has nearly 100 starts for our club, Fosu-Mensah, premier league player, although young, McTominay played also in some bigger games last season, Mata started for us more often than not, on of the best attacking players in the league even a bit past it, Herrera proven premier league player POTY 2016, only rookies are Mitchell and Tuanzebe
Yet none of which are genuine first-team players. Mata and Herrera, excellent players in their own right, are nothing more than squad players. Mctominay, TFM, Mitchell and Tuanzebe are academy graduates with minimal experience and questionable ability. We simply do not know if they will make it yet and any assumptions to the contrary would be foolish.

Compared to Liverpool, who are the genuine starters for them like you mentioned? Only Salah, Mane and Van Dijk, Milner and Lallana are also not starters. Moreno is shit, Camacho and Grabara are teenegers of the same age as Gomes/Chong
Moreno and Lallana both start for Liverpool when fit (at least they did before Klopp's wild spending spree this summer) in addition to the 3 you mentioned above, that would make 6 first team players opposed to the two that represented United.

In which world is to hoof the ball to their centreback any legit tactics. Jose Mourinho became an absolute shambolic manager and I can only laugh if someone like you still believe his rhetorics. He made you believe that we played completely B team/ youngsters against first teamers, whereas they played about the same team and completely dominated us. It is still a fecking derby and we shouldn't be battered like this.
The very same world that saw United finish second in the league last year, some 2 places above your mighty Liverpool I might add. Laugh at me all you want, we'll see who's laughing come the end of the season. It's a friendly game, nothing more nothing less. Control yourself and stop acting like a spoiled child.

Are you a United fan or yet another fake dipper in disguise?

Ace of Spades

The comments are just stupid and just another way of deflecting blame and taking no responsibility. All if the top teams have players missing, we are not some special case. Jose has already made it clear that this is not ideal at the very beginning, we get it. There is no reason to keep moaning about it though, as that is not going to change anything. Instead of being a negative moaning twat, how about doing something about it and at least try to be positive.

The only real youngster that played that has not played much before is Tuanzebe. TFM and Mitchell have been on loans previously and likely will be out on loan again, they are not players who are still playing at academy level. The rest will be a part of our full squad, who will be with us for tge entire season.

DomesticTadpole

Yet none of which are genuine first-team players. Mata and Herrera, excellent players in their own right, are nothing more than squad players. Mctominay, TFM, Mitchell and Tuanzebe are academy graduates with minimal experience and questionable ability. We simply do not know if they will make it yet and any assumptions to the contrary would be foolish.

Moreno and Lallana both start for Liverpool when fit (at least they did before Klopp's wild spending spree this summer) in addition to the 3 you mentioned above, that would make 6 first team players opposed to the two that represented United.

The very same world that saw United finish second in the league last year, some 2 places above your mighty Liverpool I might add. Laugh at me all you want, we'll see who's laughing come the end of the season. It's a friendly game, nothing more nothing less. Control yourself and stop acting like a spoiled child.

Yes we did finish 2nd playing tumescent football, Liverpool finished lower but still got in the CL. Bet their fans are perfectly happy with that and the sheer excitement of getting to a CL final, even if it gave United fans a good laugh in the end, rather than capitulating against a shit Sevilla side and not competing in an F.A. Cup final. Their season will have given them more good memories than ours has given us.

whatagoodname

Supports
Liverpool
Dont think you watched us much last season. Robertson was comfortably our best LB. Lallana was hurt pretty much all of last season. Dont think they'll sniff a regular starting spot. Prob not to dissimilar to mctominay.

DomesticTadpole

The comments are just stupid and just another way of deflecting blame and taking no responsibility. All if the top teams have players missing, we are not some special case. Jose has already made it clear that this is not ideal at the very beginning, we get it. There is no reason to keep moaning about it though, as that is not going to change anything. Instead of being a negative moaning twat, how about doing something about it and at least try to be positive.

The only real youngster that played that has not played much before is Tuanzebe. TFM and Mitchell have been on loans previously and likely will be out on loan again, they are not players who are still playing at academy level. The rest will be a part of our full squad, who will be with us for tge entire season.
I mentioned that the other day, that it is the same for everyone, he just isn't dealing with it very well.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
The amount of quality missing from our side is amazing.

Pogba
Rashford
Lingard
Jones
Young
Matic
Lindelöf

would all be first choice or one of the 3 subs if they were present. Other than making a money grab from being in the US we could well have done some skills training and played lower league teams in Europe for competition.

Fred and Dalot just joined in and barely played yet. Matic appears to be still injured. Martial is AWOL.

Add to the fact Jose moaning about lack of transfers and this is depressing to follow as a fan.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers

don't have energy to argue with you sorry, they played even more youngsters than us. I am not sure if youre blind or a fan of Mourinho, I am a fan of Manchester United not a manager who makes excuses just to defend himself. It was a big lie, first teamers against kids and if you believe that I feel for you

Ace of Spades

I mentioned that the other day, that it is the same for everyone, he just isn't dealing with it very well.
He is getting annoying with the woe be me attitude. Doubt the WC players returning will like it either with all this negativity. It just does not help anyone.

JDoe

Supports
Bayern
Oh come on... if Moreno and Lallana were "starters", Mata and Herrera surely would be too. It's a pre-season game that usually is not representative, but this is just ridiculous. Their C-team beat yours, and I wouldn't make too much of it since Mou relies on individual quality oppose to Klopp when attacking anyway. Individually, your attack is up there with any PL team. Sanchez was one of the best players in the PL before his move, Lukaku is a striker that can bully any defender and probably the best finisher in the league, Martial would probably start for us and Pogba is one of the key players for the current WC champions.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Yes we did finish 2nd playing tumescent football, Liverpool finished lower but still got in the CL. Bet their fans are perfectly happy with that and the sheer excitement of getting to a CL final, even if it gave United fans a good laugh in the end, rather than capitulating against a shit Sevilla side and not competing in an F.A. Cup final. Their season will have given them more good memories than ours has given us.
They made the CL final after one of the easiest runs in the history of the competition, and once they made that final they met a proper team and decisively lost - as expected by many on here myself included. Our own CL campaign was far from a success I admit.

When all is said and done, Liverpool finished the season trophyless (again!) and below United in the table. We had the more 'successful' season of the two.

piratefox

It's a training game, so why are we deciding to play like Stoke? The result is meaningless after all. Have a go.

Surely you want to press, get on the ball and get a good work out that way?

noodlehair

"It's like..."
We fielded a pretty strong first half team, but to say we were full strength is a massive stretch.
Missed
Our top 3 keepers
Clyne
TAA
Lovren
Matip
Henderson
Gini
Keita
Henderson
Firmino

Our second half team was mostly u-23.. and I'd say guess our first half team had 3 players that will be in our starting 11. Albeit 3 of our most important.

You missed depth for sure, but you werent trotting out a team like city or PSG. Still had experience in there. Average age of your starting 11 was actually older than ours.
We had two players who would be in our strongest starting line up, and one of those was bailly, who only arguably would be in it, and only came in at the last minute due to smalling getting injured in the warm up.

It's not really a basis to judge anything is what I'm saying. Five of our starting line up were youth team players.

I'm not concerned about Liverpool beating our non team 4-1 in a friendly game, particularly given how the game was played with dodgy penalties being handed out and Sanchez being kicked every time he went near the ball. There we a different situation and attitude the two teams approached the game with.

I'm concerned that come the start of the season, our team won't have enough of our actual players back or up to speed.

Even with the players who weren't on world cup duty, which is literally half our squad, there was Shaw, Martial, Matic, Smalling missing on top of that. There is no team in the pl that can realistically compete at the level they want with two thirds of their squad missing.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Oh come on... if Moreno and Lallana were "starters", Mata and Herrera surely would be too. It's a pre-season game that usually is not representative, but this is just ridiculous. Their C-team beat yours, and I wouldn't make too much of it since Mou relies on individual quality oppose to Klopp when attacking anyway. Individually, your attack is up there with any PL team. Sanchez was one of the best players in the PL before his move, Lukaku is a striker that can bully any defender and probably the best finisher in the league, Martial would probably start for us and Pogba is one of the key players for the current WC champions.
I'm not making anything of last nights game - the same cannot be said of many United fans on here though.

It was a friendly comprised of a group of players who will see very little game time next season. Really is as simple as that.