CB Ruben Dias - Nathan Ake - John Stones

CB Aymeric Laporte - Manuel Akanje

DM Rodri - Calvin Phillips

CM Ikay Gundogdun -Miximo Perrone

CM Bernardo Silva - Cole Palmer

RW Ryad Mahrez - Kevin De Bruyne

LW Jack Grealish - Phil Foden

ST Erling Haaland - Julian Alvarez
It's a bit odd to include Cancelo who is playing for another club.

You can literally field a 2nd XI thats better than most other Premier League club's first XI.

Yes I hear this all the time but it is a very vague thing to say and it is not really true. At least it is not true int he sense that our second string is so abnormally good compared to the rest. United, Liverpool and Chelsea could put out multiple teams as well and look very strong in certain parts of the pitch.

People claiming this City side are greater than the '99 team are, in my view, missing that probably the essence of sport is the stories that get told through it.

Whilst the '99 team weren't necessarily the underdogs, there's still some absolutely brilliant stories that you can tell about it, such as the Class of '92 or the comebacks against Arsenal and Bayern. Stuff like this makes what that team achieved feel that much more special.

I'm not going to lie, I don't even fecking know what story you'd tell about City. It's like the most boring, predictable fairytale ever.

Winning a treble in any scenario is special. No treble is better than another.

You can literally field a 2nd XI thats better than most other Premier League club's first XI.

While you can say the same about most top teams plus Chelsea having a 2nd eleven better than most team
If the first team was the one that faced Madrid the 2nd eleven will look like

Ortega
Rico Ake Laporte Gomez
Kalvin Perrone
Mahrez Palmer Foden
Alvarez.
Is this better than a Man Utd or Chelsea 2nd team?
Rico Gomez Perrone Palmer Kalvin Ortega are nothing special

Winning a treble in any scenario is special. No treble is better than another.

Bayern distraught in 2019 that their treble didn't have any adversity

While you can say the same about most top teams plus Chelsea having a 2nd eleven better than most team

Ortega
Rico Ake Laporte Gomez
Kalvin Perrone
Mahrez Palmer Foden
Alvarez.

If you repeat something enough times it becomes true

Ortega
Rico Ake Laporte Gomez
Kalvin Perrone
Mahrez Palmer Foden
Alvarez.
Butland
Dalot Maguire Lindelof Malacia
McTominay Fred
Elanga Sabitzer Sancho
Weghorst

The second City team is clearly better and even that ignores the fact that the United second string features player signed by 3 different managers. The only signing City have left in their squad from before Pep joined is De Bruyne.

Also City haven't even needed their bench this season as none of their players ever get injured, for context United players have missed more than double the amount of games through injury compared to City's and Liverpool more than three times as many.

It’s crazy to think their treble is virtually won with still a few weeks to go. If they don’t win it now, it will be a huge shock. With Utd in 99, it went right up to the last kick of the season before it was confirmed. That was the best way to win it!

Arsenal's 98/99 side were almost as good as United during our Treble season. People forget that. They conceded 17 goals all season.

If you put both teams into the current era with all the advances in training/fitness/coaching etc, they'd be well ahead of everyone else. Everyone forgets how good Keane was technically. Giggs reinvented himself so he no longer had to rely on pace. The likes of Vieira/Bergkamp for Arsenal would also thrive.

On the other side, if you put this City side into football in the late 90s, they'd struggle. Watch that 98/99 FA Cup semi final again. Any modern player would last about 5 minutes in that environment. The physical nature or the game was more evident.

They just felt inevitable, the only other teams I felt this way over the last decade or two were Barca and Bayern

Butland
Dalot Maguire Lindelof Malacia
McTominay Fred
Elanga Sabitzer Sancho
Weghorst

The second City team is clearly better and even that ignores the fact that the United second string features player signed by 3 different managers. The only signing City have left in their squad from before Pep joined is De Bruyne.

Also City haven't even needed their bench this season as none of their players ever get injured, for context United players have missed more than double the amount of games through injury compared to City's and Liverpool more than three times as many.

Never injured and never look tired considering we’ve had a World Cup mid season and they gone far in every competition, whilst other teams look completely gassed.

Everything about City feels cold clinical and robot. Even the treble just doesn't hit the same. There's just so little emotion attached to that club in its modern form.

Arsenal's 98/99 side were almost as good as United during our Treble season. People forget that. They conceded 17 goals all season.

If you put both teams into the current era with all the advances in training/fitness/coaching etc, they'd be well ahead of everyone else. Everyone forgets how good Keane was technically. Giggs reinvented himself so he no longer had to rely on pace. The likes of Vieira/Bergkamp for Arsenal would also thrive.
this is plain not true about arsenal. They failed to even get out of their CL group with Lens and Panathinaikos. Finished 3rd actually

On the other side, if you put this City side into football in the late 90s, they'd struggle. Watch that 98/99 FA Cup semi final again. Any modern player would last about 5 minutes in that environment. The physical nature or the game was more evident.

The players of the past would cope brilliantly with the demands fitness and physicality of today but the players of today wouldn’t cope with the physicality of the game in the past????

and you know this how? Groundbreaking I’m intrigued

Everything about City feels cold clinical and robot. Even the treble just doesn't hit the same. There's just so little emotion attached to that club in its modern form.
Because its a small club that won the lottery and cheated their way to the top, deep down even there fans must know its all irrelevant. Its like putting a cheat code into your computer game and completing it, doesn't feel like a real accomplishment

I just can't see Inter stopping City in the CL. It's really up to us to prevent them winning the treble. Let's see which of our players turns up for it. :nervous:

They won the league about 30 seconds ago, and I'm over it already.

They won the league about 30 seconds ago, and I'm over it already.

All of it seems empty to me, it's like someone who takes steroids bragging about winning athletics over someone who isn't doping to win

this is plain not true about arsenal. They failed to even get out of their CL group with Lens and Panathinaikos. Finished 3rd actually
Giggs, Scholes and Neville all said that that Arsenal side was better than the invincibles and the toughest domestic side they ever faced. I think that Arsenal side were just not used to playing in Europe in a similar way United's 94 team could never really express itself in Europe, partly due to the foreigner rule and partly because it took us a few years.

That Arsenal side were fecking ridiculously tough though. Vieira and Petit would outplay and outfight any midfield in this modern division except for City. They were absolutely phenomenal on both a physical and technical level, even Keane struggled against them at times.

I mean, they really are a nothing club. I don't see Man City, just a shell that could have been any random club turned into a tool for the owners to use. Obviously the cheating and financial doping adds to this but the fact that they were 'meh' club who were bought out and taken over like one of those insects with fungus controlling them is what really makes me not care.

I do somehow feel sorry for them. They won the league and have been winning for some years now. They should be applauded. But still, it don't feel right and it feels unnatural and cold. Liverpool winning league was harder to take with more emotions.

You'd think this is sealed, Arsenal made it even easier as they can rest now for the 2 finals.

This is such a nonsense take and I’m so tired of hearing it. The game today is quicker and just as if not more physical. The reason it may appear so is because referees allow less reckless challenges than they used to, players behave like children and are grossly overpaid which leads to the impression that they must somehow be soft and the grainy footage of the 90s gives everything a gritty tough-guy appearance.

Not to mention the narrative that people were “just tougher back then, kids these days blah blah” which is espoused by ex-pros bitter at the fact they would be multi-millionaires if born 20 years later.

This Sky coverage is hilarious. Nobody cares about City :lol:

They dropped a huge "3 times in a row" banner at the Etihad just minutes after final whistle at Forest.

Bet the streets will be filled with City fans soon as well. :lol:

Richard Dunne. That’s City for me and will always be. Guardiola is a Barcelona coach and the rest of the current players are just a bunch of professionals who honestly had not heard of City before Pep called.

Richard Dunne. There you have it. Most own goals of all time.

Richard Dunne. That’s City for me and will always be. Guardiola is a Barcelona coach and the rest of the current players are just a bunch of professionals who honestly had not heard of City before Pep called.

Richard Dunne. There you have it. Most own goals of all time.
What a shit player he was. Also Thatcher and Barton with Pearce as manager.

This is such a nonsense take and I’m so tired of hearing it. The game today is quicker and just as if not more physical. The reason it may appear so is because referees allow less reckless challenges than they used to, players behave like children and are grossly overpaid which leads to the impression that they must somehow be soft and the grainy footage of the 90s gives everything a gritty tough-guy appearance.

Not to mention the narrative that people were “just tougher back then, kids these days blah blah” which is espoused by ex-pros bitter at the fact they would be multi-millionaires if born 20 years later.
It's too simple to say stuff like that on both sides but if people think the likes of Vieria, Petit, Overmars, Bergkamp wouldn't do well at this level now then it's incredibly insulting to the level of ability of those players who were fantastic both physically and technically. Give them modern training, diets, tactics they'd easily be some of the best players in the league.

Try winning a treble with Blomqvist & David May as your back up players. It was most definitely much harder to win back in the day but this won’t be the last treble they win. It’s inevitable and in my opinion expected for them. They have the best in class in everything.

Giggs, Scholes and Neville all said that that Arsenal side was better than the invincibles and the toughest domestic side they ever faced. I think that Arsenal side were just not used to playing in Europe in a similar way United's 94 team could never really express itself in Europe, partly due to the foreigner rule and partly because it took us a few years.

That Arsenal side were fecking ridiculously tough though. Vieira and Petit would outplay and outfight any midfield in this modern division except for City. They were absolutely phenomenal on both a physical and technical level, even Keane struggled against them at times.
They would look like fools against Brighton and Newcastle. With the passing from the back and pressing from front, they would completely struggle playing against most teams.

I know that it is cool to romanticize the past, but it is absolutely foolish to think that teams are not far better nowadays. And yes, for all those teams were tough, players nowadays are significantly fitter. Most stats show that, teams nowadays run far more than in the past, players do far more sprints. While playing far more games.

Number of titles between 1977 and 2010 - 0.
Number of titles between 2011 and 2023 - 18.

I mean…does the FA even need an investigation? My dead mum could see what’s going on :)

Showing some montage on Sky and I'm more worried if I've overcooked my dasheen! :lol:

Number of titles between 1977 and 2010 - 0.
Number of titles between 2011 and 2023 - 18.

I mean…does the FA even need an investigation? My dead mum could see what’s going on :)
I hope your dead Mum can count better than you

It's too simple to say stuff like that on both sides but if people think the likes of Vieria, Petit, Overmars, Bergkamp wouldn't do well at this level now then it's incredibly insulting to the level of ability of those players who were fantastic both physically and technically. Give them modern training, diets, tactics they'd easily be some of the best players in the league.

I don’t think that. Those players were world class and their sheer ability would negate any advances in sports science.

They would look like fools against Brighton and Newcastle. With the passing from the back and pressing from front, they would completely struggle playing against most teams.

I know that it is cool to romanticize the past, but it is absolutely foolish to think that teams are not far better nowadays. And yes, for all those teams were tough, players nowadays are significantly fitter. Most stats show that, teams nowadays run far more than in the past, players do far more sprints. While playing far more games.
:lol:. Both the players I mentioned are world cup winners and one of the best midfield partnerships the premier league has ever seen. Do you not think a player of Petit's natural ability and athleticism would be able to beat the press or manage to counter press if he was in a modern team :lol: .

I don't doubt that players are fitter and have better diets and coaching nowadays, i'm talking about the actual level of quality of the players, their technique, natural ability/strength etc. I think the likes of Petit and Vieira are a bit better than the players you have in mind.