Man City's inevitable Treble

Too much City drooling going on here, last time I checked this was a United forum.

They have won nothing yet this season.

Can they though? If we take last night's starting XI as City's first XI then they could field a second XI like this:

Moreno - Lewis, Ake, Laporte, Gomez - Phillips, Perrone, Foden - Mahrez, Alvarez, Palmer. City fans can correct me if I put some of them in the wrong position but it looks about right to me.

I mean... it's not bad but not exactly "outclass everyone in the Premier League" good. It's better than our second XI, sure. But I have to say the difference isn't money spent... with Maguire, Wan Bissaka, Fred, Lindelöf, Van de Beek, and one of Martial/Antony/Sancho, our second XI has plenty of expensive players in it. They just aren't very good.

Never let facts get in the way of a good fib

Can they though? If we take last night's starting XI as City's first XI then they could field a second XI like this:

Moreno - Lewis, Ake, Laporte, Gomez - Phillips, Perrone, Foden - Mahrez, Alvarez, Palmer. City fans can correct me if I put some of them in the wrong position but it looks about right to me.

I mean... it's not bad but not exactly "outclass everyone in the Premier League" good. It's better than our second XI, sure. But I have to say the difference isn't money spent... with Maguire, Wan Bissaka, Fred, Lindelöf, Van de Beek, and one of Martial/Antony/Sancho, our second XI has plenty of expensive players in it. They just aren't very good.
Isnt that the whole point. Expensive or not they have a quality bench.
Outclassing everyone in the PL is a hyperbole of course but on the other side of the coing it is funny City fans and Pep fans here claiming its a small squad and comparable to ours quality wise.

City were there for the taking and I'm sure they'll be beaten at home by this Real side. They're a proper mismatch for City.

Isnt that the whole point. Expensive or not they have a quality bench.
Outclassing everyone in the PL is a hyperbole of course but on the other side of the coing it is funny City fans and Pep fans here claiming its a small squad and comparable to ours quality wise.
It IS a small squad though. Not sure why we can't admit that. They have a reasonably small core of excellent, versatile players supported by a few young talents who may or may not make it. We do have a bigger squad. It's mostly shit but it is bigger.

It IS a small squad though. Not sure why we can't admit that. They have a reasonably small core of excellent, versatile players supported by a few young talents who may or may not make it. We do have a bigger squad. It's mostly shit but it is bigger.
Smaller but with more quality. Aren't we talking about the same thing?
Ours is bloated but crap.

Outclassing was a hyperbole but they have quality on the bench. Great quality. So I don't see why we should point out whether they squad is smaller than others. That's irrelevant

When you have Alvarez, Foden, Mahrez, Phillips and Laporte coming off your bench, you're deep
I’ve named 32 full internationals in United’s squad. A couple are long term crocks but many clubs have those. We do not have any as I stated in the OP which is fortunate. Of those 32 by my rough calculations 29 have been brought in from other clubs so at the time they thought that they were going to improve them if not immediately then in time.
Included in City’s “2 x World Class XI‘s” are Gundogan, Ortega, Gomez, Akanji, Alvarez, Foden, Lewis and Palmer all of whom were either £20m or less or Academy players.
City and United have both spent huge amounts of money over the last few years to assemble their current squads. I would have some sympathy with many PL teams complaining about bottomless pits of money but absolutely none for United.

@Gentleman Jim I'm not claiming city have 2 full XI or whatever, i don't really care, but if you'd rather have United's bench than City's, you're insane

@Gentleman Jim I'm not claiming city have 2 full XI or whatever, i don't really care, but if you'd rather have United's bench than City's, you're insane
I never said that, you're putting words in my mouth.
City's stability (plus a lot of ££) over the last 7 years has enabled Pep to keep a relatively small squad packed with versatile quality players with good attitude. Those who moan or don't stay fit are kicked to the kerb.
This is how he likes to work. He doesn't want a bloated group of players who he can hardly use stinking the place out because they can't get meaningful minutes.
Everyone he brings in has a chance to play a lot. Take Ake and Akanji for example. They were brought in and werei mostly seen as backups but through their hard work and flexibility they've made themselves regular starters unseating Cancelo and Laporte who now look like they'll be moved on.
Some players come with big price tags, some are relative bargains but all know that it's Pep's way or the highway.

I've come to peace with it. But again I've been numbed in recent years with Liverpool winning the league, us getting drubbed 7-0 at Anfield, 5-0 at OT by them, the various City humiliations in our games together. So I'm bulletproof now :lol:

Your City second XI is pretty much spot on.
Most football fans will hardly know the names of 4 or 5 of the team (Moreno-Ortega, Lewis, Gomez, Perrone, Palmer).
That leaves City with 17 or 18 top established players.

is it possible city get big fat zero ?
Nah, Arsenal will bottle it even if city have a couple of freak draws/defeat

Unfortunately I can't see United winning the FA Cup final either

Champions League is the only one I could see them missing out on. But that's all on Madrid. AC Milan are one of city's bitch clubs now. And Inter are shite.

And the point about players capable of playing in multiple positions and excelling is actually testament to Pep's greatness rather than their own talent .

This claim is desrespectful to the backroom staff that Pep pays a huge ammount of money to train tbose players to play in those positions.

Why’s Wayne Rooney bigging them up all of a sudden. He was wrong by the way when he said city won’t just beat Madrid they’ll destroy them. He’s saying he’d fit in well in that team and he’d love to play with De Bruyne. You played with scholes and Keane man!

fecking sick of pundits referring to city as being “chasing history” like we’ve not already done it.

The media love in will be unbearable if city pull it off.

fecking sick of pundits referring to city as being “chasing history” like we’ve not already done it.

It would be the first time with oil money. That’s history. Give them some respect ffs!

They're not wrong. We made history and City are now chasing it. About a quarter of a century later. Go on, you plucky underdogs. Make Manchester proud.

Who was the 2nd man on the moon? Who was the 2nd man to get the summit of everest? Nobody really cares. United did it first and will always be remembered as 1st. Any way. We'll beat them in the cup final:) Come on United!

Camavinga is injured and will miss City's game.

There's not way they lose this one now.

I don’t know why the whole “City have crazy depth” idea is so contentious.

Laporte, Cancelo (so not needed he was loaned out), Walker, Philips, Mahrez, Foden, Alvarez are not starters for them! It’s ridiculous.

The only reason they have a squad like this and can cover injuries and drops in form so easily is because they have broken financial rules to build and maintain the squad in a myriad of different ways.

It’s baffling that posters jump to defend it. I get it, everyone wants to believe that the league is worth watching and competitive, but if they are not convicted of those charges, it will be the beginning of the end for the PL. It is that serious. The playing field has never been so weighted in one team’s favor.

(Obs. Save the net spend/wage figures, we all know they are bollocks)

Laporte, Cancelo (so not needed he was loaned out), Walker, Philips, Mahrez, Foden, Alvarez are not starters for them! It’s ridiculous.

The only reason they have a squad like this and can cover injuries and drops in form so easily is because they have broken financial rules to build and maintain the squad in a myriad of different ways.

It’s baffling that posters jump to defend it. I get it, everyone wants to believe that the league is worth watching and competitive, but if they are not convicted of those charges, it will be the beginning of the end for the PL. It is that serious. The playing field has never been so weighted in one team’s favor.

Their squad depth is ridiculous. Years of planning but still something most clubs can't compete with.

Last edited:

Do people really try and say they don’t have a ridiculous squad and depth to it? I honestly can’t remember another squad like theirs, ever. Pretty much their entire bench would walk into every other XI. Their B team would probably still finish top 4-6. It’s a joke that they’ve been able to do a decade of such insane financial rule breaking to get to where they now are, which is completely dominating the league every year.

I’m no fan of Arsenal but they finally built a really strong team the proper (albeit expensive) way and are about to lose the title despite a points total that previously would have been more than enough, to a cheat club that have reinvented what it takes to win the PL.

It’s fecking boring, I hope something is done because City are honestly ruining the whole competition.

One virtually won already :nervous: (thanks Arsenal!). Only Real Madrid and United stand in their way now.

The frustrating thing is, it's been such a cake walk for them. They disposed of Bayern pretty easily in the Champions League and that's usually a very hard club to beat.

2 down, one to go. just need to get by real on wednesday.

To be fair the league was always going to be theirs after Arsenal had that run of 4 draws or whatever then the loss to City. Pep’s city team are a machine at this stage of the season in the league, they were never going to drop points there. The only hope was for Arsenal to do their own thing, which they didn’t.

Still confident that Real knock them out.

Me when City clinch the title against us next weekend

6648-B4-AE-A359-4-E2-E-AB59-3-FA2-D7613049.jpg

Every trophy they win is hollow and a bit of a anticlimax. They played Arsenal in a title decider game and there was 53,000 or so attendance? Embarrassing that's how much it means now, Same it will be in FA cup Same if they get past Real Madrid, the whole club is a constant reminder of how Football is at Present its just a load of Money grabbing players Agents hangerons who done feck all before the Arabs came along.

Then you get the Holier then thou press pundits blowing smoke up there ass, without telling it as it is, they've done it all by Cheating.. Good luck to them