Man City's inevitable Treble

Would be fantastic if Madrid did a number on City in the Etihad like they did to Liverpool in Anfield, but somehow I don't see it happening!

And if they let City get a 2 goal lead like they let Liverpool that time, they'll get thumped by 4 or 5.

If Pep does the treble here, he would be the first manager to ever to have done it twice. Came very close to doing it another time in 2011 when he led Barcelona to 5 of the 6 trophies on offer, just missing out on Copa Del Rey.

Been hearing a few comments that this City team looks tired recently. Hopefully it all just falls apart hilariously in the next few games.

Can't understand people saying that City have a clear advantage when if there's any team you don't want to face in a knockout tie it's this Real Madrid side. They've been to far more hostile grounds than City's and won big games.

Been hearing a few comments that this City team looks tired recently. Hopefully it all just falls apart hilariously in the next few games.

Can't understand people saying that City have a clear advantage when if there's any team you don't want to face in a knockout tie it's this Real Madrid side. They've been to far more hostile grounds than City's and won big games.
“Tired” but Guardiola makes no subs. Their depth is crazy

Nah mate. If they get to the final there’s no way they’ll lose.

Essentially Madrid is their CL final! If they win that, it’s done.

Utd in the FA cup final will give them more resistance than either of the Italian sides on the CL final.
We’re not offering any sort of resistance that day let’s be honest. If it was old Trafford probably. But a neutral ground nah. Inter will give them a better game in the final.

They'll easily win the 2nd leg, Pep's genius is too much for Madrid. He just needs to bring Haaland back in they missed him tonight

Our fans could play a big part in the FA cup, the way they did against Arsenal in 2004 fa cup semi final; the only way i see us winning is with that and if every player plays 100%, which is not looking likely at the moment :nervous:

Still think Real Madrid will beat them.

“Tired” but Guardiola makes no subs. Their depth is crazy
City have one of the smallest 1st team squads in the PL (count em if you like) but several of their players can play multiple positions. They also have relatively few injuries for this time of the year as a result of clever rotation and some luck.

They're not mentally strong enough to win the CL. If they go through they lose at the final. Too young and unexperienced. If they meet Inter for example they are facing a bunch of Euros and World Cup winners.

I think they are the team with strongest potential but at this stage mentallity plays a big role and i don't think City are strong enough in that department.

They're not mentally strong enough to win the CL. If they go through they lose at the final. Too young and unexperienced. If they meet Inter for example they are facing a bunch of Euros and World Cup winners.

I think they are the team with strongest potential but at this stage mentallity plays a big role and i don't think City are strong enough in that department.

So when Chelsea beat City in the final 2 years ago, it was because the likes of Havertz, Mount, James, Mendy, Werner et al were experienced and mentally strong? They were a younger team than the current City team (only 1 player under 25 in this City Team vs 4/5 of that Chelsea team).

City have one of the smallest 1st team squads in the PL (count em if you like) but several of their players can play multiple positions. They also have relatively few injuries for this time of the year as a result of clever rotation and some luck.

They have a 2nd XI that's better than most Premier League teams 1st XI which gives them a huge advantage over a season.

They went to a CL final not too long ago (20/21) and it was the same manager with similar core players. They learned a lot that season and KDB was injured, was taken off in the middle of the game after Rudiger smashed him during a coming together.

Pep, KDB, Mahrez, Foden, Bernardo Silva, Gundogan, Dias, Stones, Walker, Ederson, Ake, Laporte, Rodri. Haaland was the CL top scorer that season.

KDB is a world class player with something to prove in the CL, because his first final was taken away from him via freak injury. They are a major threat to win, even with 2 large hurdles to come.

I think real will beat them on the counter. They are able to play out of the pressure comfortably as shown by Vinicius’’ first goal. Apart from 20 min or so I think real looked confident and just as good as City. Real is just very versatile, they can play beautiful technical football, they can be assholes and they play as good as any catenaccio team on the counter.

Real will shithouse their way to the final. Nobody, and I mean nobody out-shithouses Real Madrid.

Real had their chance and they blew it.

City will win at home next week.

Real were the better team and only got a tie due to a Camaguire, I mean Camavinga, mistake. They are a most experienced side and I’m confident they will win at the emptyhad

I think City have the league and FA cup already locked in. Real are our only hope to prevent the nauseating treble

They have a 2nd XI that's better than most Premier League teams 1st XI which gives them a huge advantage over a season.
As do you lot.
If you take your current First XI as DDG-AWB-Varane-Martinez-Shaw-Casemiro-Bruno-Eriksen-Antony-Rashford-Sancho

You then have

Butland

Dalot
Lindelof/Jones
Maguire
Malacia

Fred
McTominay
Sabitzer/van der Beek

Garnacho/Pellistri
Martial/Weghorst
Elanga

plus another 6 full internationals out on loan or suspended.
That‘s 32 full internationals on your books at the moment so please don’t bleat about the depth of City’s squad. You are the last club that can justifiably complain about it.

Real just seems to wake up when they hear that music. So weird how they comfortable they can look on the biggest stage, then look so not arsed when losing 2-0 to Cadiz or someone.

As do you lot.
If you take your current First XI as DDG-AWB-Varane-Martinez-Shaw-Casemiro-Bruno-Eriksen-Antony-Rashford-Sancho

You then have

Butland

Dalot
Lindelof/Jones
Maguire
Malacia

Fred
McTominay
Sabitzer/van der Beek

Garnacho/Pellistri
Martial/Weghorst
Elanga

That‘s 32 full internationals on your books at the moment so please don’t bleat about the depth of City’s squad. You are the last club that can justifiably complain about it.
Besides our first 11 being nowhere near yours that lot has absolutely nothing on the likes of Foden, Mahrez, Laporte, Alvarez etc Not sure what you’re on about. You cheated the system and have put together an incredible couple of squads. Admitting the truth won’t break you. Unless you want to pretend you have no depth and Pep the master of having favourable conditions is somehow making do with little.

I think you well know it's the "why" and "how" with regard to City's depth that people, very justifiably, complain about.

Agreed but most are blinded by their disdain for City so it's ignored and its argued other way round .
And the point about players capable of playing in multiple positions and excelling is actually testament to Pep's greatness rather than their own talent .

A guy at work used the exact same argument, do you work in the rail industry by any chance or is there a Man City YouTuber who has started this talking point.

As do you lot.

You then have

Butland

Dalot
Lindelof/Jones
Maguire
Malacia

Fred
McTominay
Sabitzer/van der Beek

Garnacho/Pellistri
Martial/Weghorst
Elanga

The point is that’s a terrible team, if they were your first 11 you would be bottom half and maybe in a relegation scrap. Some competent cover in the back 4 but after that, most players are just not good enough, we saw Fred McTominay plenty, it’s a bit early on Garnacho and Pellistri to be fair. Don’t think any of these would get into City’s second XI.

it’s a fair point on the number of players, that’s on us after a decade of hoarding mediocrity, we really should clear a lot of these out.

Agreed but most are blinded by their disdain for City so it's ignored and its argued other way round .
And the point about players capable of playing in multiple positions and excelling is actually testament to Pep's greatness rather than their own talent .
You agree on that? :lol:

Poor old Pep, he's doing wonders with a small squad.

As do you lot.

You then have

Butland

Dalot
Lindelof/Jones
Maguire
Malacia

Fred
McTominay
Sabitzer/van der Beek

Garnacho/Pellistri
Martial/Weghorst
Elanga

Sou you're saying with a straight face that bench is similar to yours. Hell, you even put Jones there.

It's not just number of players... If that was the case Forest would be smashing it :lol:

City have world class backup to world class players.

United have Maguire, McTominay, Fred, Weghorst and VDB...

As do you lot.

You then have

Butland

Dalot
Lindelof/Jones
Maguire
Malacia

Fred
McTominay
Sabitzer/van der Beek

Garnacho/Pellistri
Martial/Weghorst
Elanga

From the second XI list you have mentioned half of them barely play due to injuries/poor quality or managerial decisions.
Also City do not depend on 1 player, even if you take out Haaland they can still compete, for us if you take out Rashford we are straight a midtable team.

It's not just number of players... If that was the case Forest would be smashing it :lol:

City have world class backup to world class players.

United have Maguire, McTominay, Fred, Weghorst and VDB...

Exactly. Who the f cares about the size of a squad. It's quality that matters. We have so much shit on our books that I'd gladly sell to get 1 or 2 quality players in.

City can field two 11s that can outclass pretty much anyone in the PL.

As do you lot.

You then have

Butland

Dalot
Lindelof/Jones
Maguire
Malacia

Fred
McTominay
Sabitzer/van der Beek

Garnacho/Pellistri
Martial/Weghorst
Elanga

Butland was second keeper at Palace, Jones hasn’t played for about a decade, Maguire/Fred/McTominay has been derided for years, Weghorst couldn’t score for a relegated Burnley, Elanga hasn’t had a good game all season. The fact that they’ve all played international games previously is irrelevant to their actual quality.

Would you take any of those players and swap for players in your squad?

Exactly. Who the f cares about the size of a squad. It's quality that matters. We have so much shit on our books that I'd gladly sell to get 1 or 2 quality players in.

Yep. City had about four players on the bench yesterday that could either walk into our starting XI, or at least be a contender for it. Alvarez and Mahrez are certainties, and you can probably argue that Foden and Lewis would be improvements as well. And then there is Laporte who would get in with our current injury situation.

It's definitely not inevitable.

Life can throw some real curve balls into the mix and although City have a good chance of doing the treble, there are a few things in their way.

First up, Madrid in the 2nd leg. After last night's game they'd have worked out a bit more about how City play. You can bet your life they will analyse that going to the Etihad.
Secondly, if City do manage to beat them and get to the final, they face an Italian team. Italians are notorious for slowing games down and stopping you from playing your game, even if they look shite doing it. They won't care. The final won't be a walkover.
Thirdly, we have them in the FA Cup final and finals are unpredictable. We may not be playing great right now, but you can never write off any team in a final.

So a good chance, but definitely not nailed on at this stage, too many variables.

When you have Alvarez, Foden, Mahrez, Phillips and Laporte coming off your bench, you're deep

Has everyone in the media suddenly forgotten this club have been charged with more than 100 financial fair play breaches, which includes the club out and out refusing to co-operate with the Premier League with their investigation.

All of a sudden, this club and team are being spoken about as if they're some sort of jewel of English football, something we should be proud of and an example of how clubs should be run and developed.

Makes me feel sick.

Last edited:
Reactions: esmufc07
Can they though? If we take last night's starting XI as City's first XI then they could field a second XI like this:

Moreno - Lewis, Ake, Laporte, Gomez - Phillips, Perrone, Foden - Mahrez, Alvarez, Palmer. City fans can correct me if I put some of them in the wrong position but it looks about right to me.

I mean... it's not bad but not exactly "outclass everyone in the Premier League" good. It's better than our second XI, sure. But I have to say the difference isn't money spent... with Maguire, Wan Bissaka, Fred, Lindelöf, Van de Beek, and one of Martial/Antony/Sancho, our second XI has plenty of expensive players in it. They just aren't very good.