Maguire | he stays!

Reddevildans

It doesn't seem we're in a great rush to sell him. Not getting those vibes. I think the club and ETH wouldn't mind him being an expensive bench player. Especially considering our retchid injury record at the back literally every season. He's always fit and so reliable to be available when called upon. Now all this could change if we get an offer north of 35m. Could happen towards the end of the window when the likes of west ham could test our resolve.

The club would take 35m in a heartbeat. Not so sure maguire fancies a move though.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
The way people are talking about Maguire, you'd think we never won a game with him playing!

theklr

People should rethink things if they think Evans at 35 is a better backup for us then Maguire.

FerociousCorgis

People should rethink things if they think Evans at 35 is a better backup for us then Maguire.
even if someone thought maguire was a "better" backup than evans, the fact remains that maguire will be absolutely horrendous in a high back line. He is slow (both running and making a decisive decision), gets constantly caught in no mans land because he finds himself in poor positions, and is so lethargic moving the ball/panics anytime he gets closed down. If i have the choice of two "trash" options ill at least take the one that isnt costing me 200k a week. The ideal situation would be to get rid of maguire and start bedding in a youth option or something to get training under the current group and learn from the veterans

DJBillRemfry

Supports
West Ham United
I just don't understand why West Ham even bother with Maguire at this point. There are other more urgent area needed to be addressed like you said. No one is interested in Maguire's service other than Moyes anyway.
We need another conventional centre back to have four in the squad to cope with with the Sunday/Thursday game pattern through until February at least - unless we get completely knocked out of Europe in the group stage. Thilo Kehrer is currently the fourth, but he's a hybrid of a full back and centre back.

We are also penned in a little in terms of shopping abroad because we are near the limit on non-homegrown players , at least until we sell Vlasic and Scamacca to Serie A clubs.

A couple of our experienced homegrown players - Cresswell and Antonio - are at least 50/50 to leave this summer. Some others are just making up the numbers in the 25, and whilst we have a very good youth team, only one of them (Divin Mubama) is currently looking likely to be a feature in the squad from the outset this season

That's why there's a seeming obsession with players like Maguire, Barnes, McTominay, Ward-Prowse etc.West Ham need to get a couple through the door who are homegrown. It isn't just Moyes being Moyes, whoever the manager is they will need some homegrown players.

davidmichael

It isn’t about whether Evans is a better player than Maguire at this stage of his career and more so Evans is better suited to how ETH wants to play whilst being happy to play when needed whereas Maguire has it in his head he should start and seems oblivious to his shortcomings.

Alemar

That's why there's a seeming obsession with players like Maguire, Barnes, McTominay, Ward-Prowse etc.West Ham need to get a couple through the door who are homegrown. It isn't just Moyes being Moyes, whoever the manager is they will need some homegrown players.
Why don’t you just pay us 60m then? I am sure it would be enough for Maguire AND McTominay combined. And just imagine the extent to which you get reinforced.

We also have another brilliant homegrown defender for sale in Brandon Williams, and - if by any chance you may want a homegrown goalkeeper - Dean Henderson. I would think a bid of 85m will get you all four players mentioned

DJBillRemfry

Supports
West Ham United
Why don’t you just pay us 60m then? I am sure it would be enough for Maguire AND McTominay combined. And just imagine the extent to which you get reinforced.

We also have another brilliant homegrown defender for sale in Brandon Williams, and - if by any chance you may want a homegrown goalkeeper - Dean Henderson. I would think a bid of 85m will get you all four players mentioned
Yes, I've seen Brandon Williams :) We wouldn't want to deprive you of such a unique talent.

Fred and McTominay? £50m , maybe a tad higher, and you might be on.

Alemar

Fred and McTominay? £50m , maybe a tad higher, and you might be on.
I thought you were only interested in homegrown. If Fred is also of interest, then yes, I would think 50, maybe 52m for the entire McFred is fair

croadyman

I thought you were only interest in homegrown. If Fred is also of interest, then yes, I would think 50, maybe 52m for the entire McFred is fair
More than fair,however club probably have crazy ideas of how much they can get for them

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I’m very confident that come the end of the window he will have found a new club.

Sir Chapman

Maybe we could still get Pavard now City have got their man in Gvardiol
Sorry for the late reply, mate. It's a bit difficult having just three messages per day and answer immediately on that topic. Once my message gets approved, the current topic is already gone :/
I agree with you, Pavard would be someone I would like to see as he could also play the three back line but I think ETH prefers the classic four man formation. Now with Gvardiol moving to City, Pep will have a monstrous three back line (if he wants to keep this formation) with Gvardiol, Dias and Ake/Akanji.

Maguire was £76,6m.
Actually, we paid 80 mio. £ for Harry, and unfortunately still keep the record amount for a defender. Not something I am proud of. I'd hoped City paid more for Gvardiol as initial expected. For me, Gvardiol is worth every penny - a classic Pep player who is physical, versatile and strong on the ball.

even if someone thought maguire was a "better" backup than evans, the fact remains that maguire will be absolutely horrendous in a high back line. He is slow (both running and making a decisive decision), gets constantly caught in no mans land because he finds himself in poor positions, and is so lethargic moving the ball/panics anytime he gets closed down. If i have the choice of two "trash" options ill at least take the one that isnt costing me 200k a week. The ideal situation would be to get rid of maguire and start bedding in a youth option or something to get training under the current group and learn from the veterans
Exactly! Maguire is just not suited to the style ETH wants to play. He is not fast enough, can not keep the ball under pressure, is easy targetable. Just look at the mistakes he made when he played last season, it cost us some important games (e.g. Sevilla). He is just not up to this pressure type of football ETH wants to play. Apart from that, he is such an expensive player to have on the bench and we must get rid of him. I have not heard any rumours since West Ham bid so I really hope we can manage a reasaonable fee even if it is 20 mio. £.

Fahad Jawaid

Everton now in the lead to sign Maguire.
Sorry I don’t keep up with sources so don’t know if it’s reliable or not, but is on bbc, from here: https://www.footballinsider247.com/...-and-tottenham-in-race-to-sign-harry-maguire/
not sure about the reliability of source, but having bidding war is great. We have already rejected 20m hopefully Everton comes up 25m and Westham goes to 30m and eventually Everton signs him for 35m. Could it happen or is it too early in the morning to be dreaming

Devil81

Given it's getting close to the season starting now I'd just get rid for 25 million. Same with Henderson, cut the cost down and get the wages off the wage bill.

We don't need the baggage of either player hanging round the club anymore.

stubie

Id straight swap Maguire for Branthwaite, left footed as well so would a nice balance for backup.

edgecutter

I think neither should be here. However, Maguire has certainly outlasted his welcome and his performances over the last 2 years have been awful.

prateik

Bendtner levels of self confidence... which is great in his case..

He was/is a really good defender in the right team.. Just doesnt work in the way we play..
The same way De Gea was really good till he wasnt.. De Gea still didn't come out of the box so he doesnt have a video compilation similar to maguire..

He will be be the best defender when he moves to pretty much any team (outside the top 7-8).. The one thing that couldve hurt him wouldve been his confidence being dented after the last couple of season.. but that probably wont be an issue..

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Given it's getting close to the season starting now I'd just get rid for 25 million. Same with Henderson, cut the cost down and get the wages off the wage bill.

We don't need the baggage of either player hanging round the club anymore.
Agree with that

DJBillRemfry

Supports
West Ham United
Alan Nixon is claiming that West Ham are further down the line with Maguire and McTominay than is generally being reported.

bstb3

Ooh that's good news (if true). So long as we aren't getting fleeced on the price that will be good for all concerned. Presume medical records wouldn't be shared without the players or their representatives consent, so they must be ok with the prospect of WHU.

captain666

Ooh that's good news (if true). So long as we aren't getting fleeced on the price that will be good for all concerned. Presume medical records wouldn't be shared without the players or their representatives consent, so they must be ok with the prospect of WHU.
Fingers doubly crossed on this!!