Maguire | he stays!

ForceKing90

Or.....he can say nothing. Like he does for Hendo, Fred, Elanga, Telles, Bailly and all other players.
Saying all this for Maguire means that he is not against Harry staying.

People keep talking about Ronaldo scenario and Eth's words about him. People forget that Eth didn't sell Ronaldo. He wanted him for backup. But Ronaldo was the one who caused exit with interview.
Three of the five players you mentioned are all but gone.

red.knight

Maguire is great when he’s in a left back position…. left back in the dressing room :smirk:

Kag

Or.....he can say nothing. Like he does for Hendo, Fred, Elanga, Telles, Bailly and all other players.

People keep talking about Ronaldo scenario and Eth's words about him. People forget that Eth didn't sell Ronaldo. He wanted him for backup. But Ronaldo was the one who caused exit with interview.
He probably isn’t. It isn’t a priority position in terms of incomings, and you’re not finding a better fourth choice centre half than Maguire with great ease.

I doubt Ten Hag is too arsed either way, to be honest. Next summer may well be different, though.

Kammy26

Wasn't ETH asked the question about Harry being in his plans by a journalist? To say “no comment” or something along them lines is maybe as bad as saying nothing.

I don’t think he’s been asked about Fred, Elanga etc as the media don’t give a f about them.

In terms of Maguire staying, as a 4th choice CB its not ideal, but not exactly season defining. Tbh our wages handling has been terrible and probably why we can’t shift him. Hopefully we’ve learnt our lesson going forward.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He probably isn’t. It isn’t a priority position in terms of incomings, and you’re not finding a better fourth choice centre half than Maguire with great ease.

I doubt Ten Hag is too arsed either way, to be honest. Next summer may well be different, though.
As i mentioned couple of times already, that is the only thing which i don't like with Erik so far. I am delighted with his reign but i don't like the fact that he is doing exact thing what Ole did. He wants huge squad depth and he will keep expensive player (who is not even suited for his system) as backup of the backup just because he wants to have numbers.
Maguire is 30 years old. His value will drop in a year because of lack of games and because of his age. If you are keeping him for emergency (potential injuries) then it is not good business for club. That is why our sales are so bad. We sell only players who are completely out of manager's plans. And those are the ones who worth nothing usually.

I do understand Erik's thinking there. His job is on the line so of course that he plays it safe. Who wouldn't want to have Maguire as 5th option? But that is situation where DoF and CEO must step up. They must say to him; "Sorry Erik but it is bad business for club".

Kag

As i mentioned couple of times already, that is the only thing which i don't like with Erik so far. I am delighted with his reign but i don't like the fact that he is doing exact thing what Ole did. He wants huge squad depth and he will keep expensive player (who is not even suited for his system) as backup of the backup just because he wants to have numbers.
Maguire is 30 years old. His value will drop in a year because of lack of games and because of his age. If you are keeping him for emergency (potential injuries) then it is not good business for club. That is why our sales are so bad. We sell only players who are completely out of manager's plans. And those are the ones who worth nothing usually.

I do understand Erik's thinking there. His job is on the line so of course that he plays it safe. Who wouldn't want to have Maguire as 5th option? But that is situation where DoF and CEO must step up. They must say to him; "Sorry Erik but it is bad business for club".
I don’t think he wants ‘huge squad depth’. I think what he wants is four good centre halves. Who wouldn’t?

If the club receives a large enough offer for Maguire then there’s no doubt it will do business. But Maguire would need to agree to it, and then we’d need to bring in a replacement. There’s a lot of variables.

Ten Hag has little to do with whether or not Maguire leaves, ultimately. The only things he can do is play other players ahead of him and choose a new captain, which he has done already.

Nogho

Ten Hag has little to do with whether or not Maguire leaves, ultimately. The only things he can do is play other players ahead of him and choose a new captain, which he has done already.
Spot on. As a manager this is his way of showing him the door. Then it's up to the agents, the management and the board to get him out of the club. But Maguire has million of reasons to stay...

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
It doesn't mean a lot.

People were losing their minds about his DDG comments towards the end of last season when he was hardly likely to say 'well, I have a subpar goalkeeper and I can't wait until the season ends so i can replace him".
except the window is now open and maguire hasn't been getting games - so not similar at all, if you ask me

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
He was asked the question - he's obviously not going to answer by saying he's surplus to requirements and he should leave. Firstly its unprofessional to say he's unwanted, and secondly it screws us over as a seller since it'll make us look desperate to get rid.
and you think someone will be fooled by that? and will magcially suddenly think: "wow, maguire is worth £30m, let's buy him"

renatosanches85

except the window is now open and maguire hasn't been getting games - so not similar at all, if you ask me
Well he’s hardly going to say “I want slabhead gone, hopefully we can con someone into paying a fee for him and get his rid of him and his massive wages”.

If they can’t sell him, he will be left with a disgruntled former captain stinking the place next year. Look at Eddie Howe, “we want Maxi to stay”; the following day they had agreed a deal (albeit with their owners).

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Well he’s hardly going to say “I want slabhead gone, hopefully we can con someone into paying a fee for him and get his rid of him and his massive wages”.

If they can’t sell him, he will be left with a disgruntled former captain stinking the place next year. Look at Eddie Howe, “we want Maxi to stay”; the following day they had agreed a deal (albeit with their owners).
yeh... I think that bit in brackets makes a huge difference - it also, of course could give Newcastle extra Fair Play protection. And to be fair, I reckon Saint Max is a somewhat better player than Maguire. No one is going to be fooled by ETH saying: "Oh, actually, Maguire is a brilliant player, I just didn't play him because I didn't feel like it..."

Borussia Teeth

Harry out and Jonny in as the new 5th choice really wouldn’t be too bad. Would fill a gap for the season until we invest in a young CB next summer.

Keep pushing Moyeseh
I agree with this. I've seen a lot of posters questioning the Evans signing but I think he would be a good replacement for Maguire. Can play both rcb and lcb too.

The Purley King

Harry out and Jonny in as the new 5th choice really wouldn’t be too bad. Would fill a gap for the season until we invest in a young CB next summer.

Keep pushing Moyeseh
Set a price to expire a few days before deadline and he’ll come back on deadline day with £5m more.
Easy money…….

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
West Ham should give us £70m and we will send them Maguire, and McTominay. £35m each is not too shabby at all.

Suv666

West Ham should give us £70m and we will send them Maguire, and McTominay. £35m each is not too shabby at all.
yeah should be the going rate for both. West Ham are cheap cnuts so they’ll probably bid 5-10m for Maguire, if they do bid. Feckers wanted him on loan, the audacity.

Nori-

If we can get £30-35m for him, we should grab it with both hands.

At this point, whenever he starts or comes on in defence, a sense of nervousness comes over most fans, he doesn’t suit our current style and a fresh start somewhere else will do him some good.

My guess is Uniteds “He is a key player” stance is just a way of not under valuing him and they hope to get a decent fee closer to the end of the transfer window.

Suv666

If we can get £30-35m for him, we should grab it with both hands.

At this point, whenever he starts or comes on in defence, a sense of nervousness comes over most fans, he doesn’t suit our current style and a fresh start somewhere else will do him some good.

My guess is Uniteds “He is a key player” stance is just a way of not under valuing him and they hope to get a decent fee closer to the end of the transfer window.
I mean West Ham initially wanted a loan with us paying half the wages their probably offering some garbage fee

jesperjaap

I mean West Ham initially wanted a loan with us paying half the wages their probably offering some garbage fee
Well go back a couple fo months and there were a fair few people sayin ghe is 3 and rubbish and we wont get over 20m for him with the "tell me who would take him then". Friends at work who are Hammers fans dont want him and think they already have better centre backs....which I find funny....

I never wanted us to sign Maguie at the time. There were several better centre backs we could have gone for at the time, and nearly all of them would have been cheaper, several far cheaper. There is no avoiding the fact he has been very poor in a United shirt beyod a reasonable start....I thought it was a case of his confidence shattered and feeling the pressure, but you listen to him in interviews and he genuinely seems that deluded that I dont think that is the case....but

I still feel, he is a good defender and would actually be a really good signing for several sides, decent sides that could afford him SPurs, Newcastle, West Ham....think he would actually do well at any of them....I get the feeling we probably do want a little too much just because of wht we spent...but I think £25m+ considering his age we should be accepting, even though in the current market as bad as he has been he should still be £30-40m....Maguire/Bailly/Telles sales should in itself be decent enough fees to buy a good young centre back, think there ar eplenty of them about and we dont need and other defenders other than a second choice centre back I feel....the need for a right back isnt so paramount I feel now. Bissaka is starting to progress towards the signing I originally thought he would be whenwe boght him, unlike Maguire, he was a signin gI was really happy we made at the time

GlasgowCeltic

Maguire should be sold if just so the pre match punditry of every game he’s given a start in doesn’t revolve around how this is a great opportunity to prove ten Hag wrong and he’s an England international and we just feel bad for the situation he’s in and he’s a great lad who just wants to play football

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I hope United negotiators don’t overplay their hand with “very important squad players” and trying to big up their value.

Both should be sold and we can’t afford to turn the only takers away by playing games.

klayton88

I cannot wait to play this man when he signs for some relegation fodder. He has to stay in the prem. (In before he scores against us).

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
He's a fullback, he may have covered CB very well, but he is not our 3rd choice CB. There's a reason we were after CBs earlier in the season, we want natural ones. If Maguire leaves we'll get another.

OldSchoolManc

Come on moyseh, finally do some good for United.
I do actually think he’ll improve West Ham to be honest

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
I hope United negotiators don’t overplay their hand with “very important squad players” and trying to big up their value.

Both should be sold and we can’t afford to turn the only takers away by playing games.
Why not? People complain we give players away for peanuts, and considering West Ham is recently minted, they should cough up.