Maguire | he stays!

The perception of Maguire as a good CB by United fans insisting we should be getting a decent fee for him is an interesting one. Does any other clubs’ fanbase concur that at almost £200k a week Maguire is any kind of sound purchase or desirable player to pick from that kind of wage bracket?

Even subsidised and that wage halved how many clubs are jumping at the chance to sign him or will consider him a genuinely good CB Investment at his age and with the profile he has. If not Moyes or Dyche, which other PL manager is looking at that outlay against their budget and thinking ‘Maguire is my marquee signing of the summer’?

Really hope Moyes begins his path of redemption and that Maguire isn’t too proud to accept, because without him, Maguire’s going nowhere because nobody else will pony up these numbers needed to facilitate the move.

The perception of Maguire as a good CB by United fans insisting we should be getting a decent fee for him is an interesting one. Does any other clubs’ fanbase concur that at almost £200k a week Maguire is any kind of sound purchase or desirable player to pick from that kind of wage bracket?

Even subsidised and that wage halved how many clubs are jumping at the chance to sign him or will consider him a genuinely good CB Investment at his age and with the profile he has. If not Moyes or Dyche, which other PL manager is looking at that outlay against their budget and thinking ‘Maguire is my marquee signing of the summer’?

Really hope Moyes begins his path of redemption and that Maguire isn’t too proud to accept, because without him, Maguire’s going nowhere because nobody else will pony up these numbers needed to facilitate the move.

Everton?

For 25m he’d be a very good CB purchase for a good few PL clubs.

Most significant spending by the likes of Everton is done on younger players. Maguire is 30, on big wages and likely requires a 4/5 year contract to tempt him away. The financial package is a terrible one for any club. Transfer fee, will become one of the highest paid players, questions about his current ability and longevity, zero resale value, selling club obviously wants rid.

there’s a clear trend in football towards loans/low transfer fees for exactly this type of transfer.

so he wants United to pay out his final two years 20m quid just so he can quit and leave??? fuk off you giant headed monster
United in their wisdom gave him a 7 year contract so 3 year left. at 189k a week. So lets consider a team will pay 100k wages thats 89k loss x 52 x3 = 13.8m. So you deal take 8m right now to clear off. On the plus side you get the amort& wages of the the books. So 25m would do

Well West Ham do pay Zouma 120kpw. So 100k-120k ball park isn't unreasonable for an England International

Well West Ham do pay Zouma 120kpw. So 100k-120k ball park isn't unreasonable for an England International
So many England games are against League 2 quality teams such as Malta & Macedonia & even then Southgate will have 2 DM's in front of the back line.
English International football has no comparison to the Premier League.
While Harry does look good in an England shirt the Premier League does not suit him at all & very few teams will pay him based on his International game.

So many England games are against League 2 quality teams such as Malta & Macedonia & even then Southgate will have 2 DM's in front of the back line.
While Harry does look good in an England shirt the Premier League does not suit him at all & very few teams will pay him based on his International game.
To be be fair Harry was quite good for England over last 2 major international tournaments, it’s not just against the likes of Malta & Macedonia.

But biggest obstacles would be his high wage though. No mid-table club could afford that kind of wage.

To be be fair Harry was quite good for England over last 2 major international tournaments, it’s not just against the likes of Malta & Macedonia.

But biggest obstacles would be his high wage though. No mid-table club could afford that kind of wage.
I agree ! Do you think he would take a pay cut to get regular game time ?
I don't feel that his pride could deal with it !

Last edited:
Couple of days ago it was all over internet that several clubs (West Ham, Everton, Newcastle, Chelsea (after Fofanas season ending injury) all reached out to see how much it would take to save Maguire from us and they all got an surprisingly high valuation from the club that just took his captain band from him, sees him at best as their 4th choice + a fan base that mocks him even more then our rival does. Reports coming in from different sources that we requested 50m for him, but after getting the same, probably laughable reaction that there is no way they will pay that kind of money for a 30+ years player that is coming from his worst season in years, when it comes to minutes played and probably also on the pitch, when he was given some minutes, we quickly reduced our asking price to 30m+5 in add-ons (easy reached ones, like starting 20 PL games) and that at least 2-3 clubs were interested to sit down after the US tour and talk about it.

That would be the best for all parts involved, we could use the money to replace him with a younger CB more suitable for ETHs style of play, Maguire gets to play games again and can keep his spot in the national team and the buying club (lets say West Ham) gets a CB that would be one of their best players, plenty of experience, still has 5-6 years in him since he is absolutely not depended on his pace and overall a good player when the back line plays closer to your own goal and where he won´t be in spotlight week in week out for the world to mock him even when he does not deserve. His time here has past, cant imagine seeing him here after last of August.

Not surprised at his suggested evaluation, whenever we suggest a reasonable price, clubs offer a free transfer or a loan, it’s like a battle for who can take the piss the most and still get the player. Then when we try and sign someone they’re all of a sudden worth £30m more than market price.

If anyone really wants him they can pay close to the evaluation price like we always have to. Chuck some add-ons in there and we’ll think about it.

We can’t keep having the piss taken out of us in both directions.

Did you start supporting Leicester after he Maguire played for you?

ffs... eat 100k of the remaining 3 years of this donkey's contract as a part of any deal (NO club stupid enough to buy Harry, would ever consider paying him anything along the lines of what we do), and SELL immediately... ask for 30, accept 20.

How he is still a part of the club is ridiculous

"We respect Harry," continued the boss, in conversation with MUTV's Danny Webber. "Harry's very important for this squad, for this team. And, you know, in his role as centre-back, we have four centre-backs. I talked about consistency and we know we can't do it with 11 players and so I'm happy we have four very good centre-backs.

"And we will need them, and he has to fight for his place, as he did last year. He has a high potential so I'm sure he will do it, he will fight for his place and then it's up to him."

He is so staying. :lol: .

"We respect Harry," continued the boss, in conversation with MUTV's Danny Webber. "Harry's very important for this squad, for this team. And, you know, in his role as centre-back, we have four centre-backs. I talked about consistency and we know we can't do it with 11 players and so I'm happy we have four very good centre-backs.

"And we will need them, and he has to fight for his place, as he did last year. He has a high potential so I'm sure he will do it, he will fight for his place and then it's up to him."

I mean that just sounds like a standard diplomatic response. He's not exactly going to say "Yeah that Maguire is a proper fridge, can't wait till we feck that slabhead off to any mugs stupid enough to take him on heh heh". Gives us leverage as a seller to at least feign the fact we're not desperate to offload him.

You've learned absolutely nothing if you go by what ETH says about a player in public

I mean that just sounds like a standard diplomatic response. He's not exactly going to say "Yeah that Maguire is a proper fridge, can't wait till we feck that slabhead off to any mugs stupid enough to take him on heh heh". Gives us leverage as a seller to at least feign the fact we're not desperate to offload him.
You've learned absolutely nothing if you go by what ETH says about a player in public
I don't know what he said to Harry in private and nobody knows that. But i know what he said in public. After this words, why would Harry even consider moving? We all learned from Harry's interviews that Harry has very high opinion about himself. He will stay and "fight" for his place after this.

I don't know what he said to Harry in private and nobody knows that. But i know what he said in public. After this words, why would Harry even consider moving? We all learned from Harry's interviews that Harry has very high opinion about himself. He will stay and "fight" for his place after this.

He said he wanted Ronaldo to stay too, he also said in public that Maguire is a great captain. In other words, what he says in public does not always bare relation to what he thinks or does behind the scenes

What do you expect him to say? Harry's shite and we hope he fecks off soon.

I don't think this deal is as difficult as is being suggested. I think it just needs us to compromise on the fee. We might value him at 30-35 or whatever the figure is as a footballer but we will have to absorb some of his wage demands within the fee.

West Ham are not exactly poor, they can afford to sustain high wages. Many PL clubs can. We also have no idea about Maguire's view. What he says in public and what he thinks in private after not playing all season and being stripped of captaincy are two different things and he may be willing to take just enough of a cut to facilitate something.

There's plenty of scope for this to happen.

if EtH can get the right deal done he will sell Maguire...otherwise we have to publicly and in person back him to do his job

Don't know how you draw that conclusion from those quotes.

I'm immediately a bit suspicious when I see him starting the quote off about respecting Harry. I think that would go without saying, ordinarily. Usually you would respect players within your squad. Not really something that needs to be specified. Kind of already has me onto thinking he's bluffing about what he's saying here and it's largely for public consumption. Not that it needs much microanalysis when he had no faith whatsoever in Harry last season, opting for a left back over him at various times.

Did you start supporting Leicester after he Maguire played for you?
I started supporting Leicester in 1960 (8 years old) but I did enjoy watching Maguire when he played for us !! We were playing pretty basic football & it suited him to a tee. I watch him play for Man Utd under ETH and he looks ill at ease & uncomfortable. He was never worth 80 big ones but Manchester management had a massive hard-on for him and the club are now paying the price.

I'm immediately a bit suspicious when I see him starting the quote off about respecting Harry. I think that would go without saying, ordinarily. Usually you would respect players within your squad. Not really something that needs to be specified. Kind of already has me onto thinking he's bluffing about what he's saying here and it's largely for public consumption. Not that it needs much microanalysis when he had no faith whatsoever in Harry last season, opting for a left back over him at various times.
This, we respect him and need four central defenders, but just not him :cool:

I started supporting Leicester in 1960 (8 years old) but I did enjoy watching Maguire when he played for us !! We were playing pretty basic football & it suited him to a tee. I watch him play for Man Utd under ETH and he looks ill at ease & uncomfortable. He was never worth 80 big ones but Manchester management had a massive hard-on for him and the club are now paying the price.

Its surprising that you rate him so poorly. He might not suit United but I daresay he could have maybe prevented y'all from getting relegated .

Its surprising that you rate him so poorly. He might not suit United but I daresay he could have maybe prevented y'all from getting relegated .
Hm, he was relegated 4 times in his career so...:wenger:

5 if you count England in Nations league

This genuinely confuses me as well. I have not seen Maguire being perceived as a good CB anywhere outside of United fans.

Maguire's contract was 6+1 and I don't believe we ever exercised the option, so he has 2 years left, not 3.

I rated him highly when he played for City and he certainly could have helped us last season but as I said he just looks out of place playing for Man Utd.

Everton?

For 25m he’d be a very good CB purchase for a good few PL clubs.
But why would he? If you don't play a deep line and protect him, you're left with the issues that have ruined him here and shattered his confidence.

For that kind of outlay, especially on an older player, the expectation is experience, composure and absolutely assured play. Maguire unsettles a backline if he's left to lead it and make decisive plays and actions. It doesn't matter how it's sliced, these factors have blighted Maguire time and again - why is a club going to pay, say, £30m plus over £120k a week for a player who they are essentially taking a massive gamble on? You can take those risks for a half or third of the wage on a considerably younger player.

Outside of Moyes or Dyche, there's not a manager who is going to cater to Maguire's game and vulnerabilities whilst also making him the marquee signing and centrepiece of a transfer window.

'Several clubs' breaks down to two, objectively. Financially, it just doesn't make sense. Tactically, even less so - we're in an age of high or advancing lines and it'd be counterintuitive to put a deep-sitting CB into an aggressive, front-foot backline. You'd be letting the player you've just bought down and you'd be destabilising your own backline. Just bad business all-round, imo.

Moyes having money is hopefully the perfect storm for us - they're a harmonious match and a side Maguire has the chance to actually excel with. Having said that, I doubt West Ham fans will be eager to splurge the Rice money on Maguire, or even get him in at any rate we'd find agreeable.