Lukaku - transfer speculation | Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Inter, it's a pattern. They are indeed under the cosh when it comes to the books.

If I’ve got the wrong end of the stick and it’s Inter that we’re being called pathetic, then that’s fine - and I take back my protestations. I thought it was aimed at Utd, who by all accounts haven’t even received an offer yet.

Why is it that we typically lose money on every player we buy?

Only two who buck the trend being Ronaldo and potentially Pogba?

Inter are so tight to pass FFP, it would benefit them over next couple of years at around 10m pa. A rudimentary explanation is below and is due to the way player purchases and contracts are ammortised within the books of football clubs. Please note this is nothing to do with the flow of money which many fans confuse when looking at player transfers.

Essentially if they bought Lukaku for 5+5+60 this window, assuming a 5 year contract (at 10m pa), total cost of the deal would be 120m, impact to the P&L would be 24m per year over next 5 years.

By loaning for first 2 years, P&L impact over the next 2 years would be loan fee +Lukaku's wages (assuming they are paying all of these), would be (5+10), hence would make a P&L saving of around 9m pa over next couple of years compared to buying him outright.

This is a pretty significant saving over this period for a club struggling against FFP.

For United it would most largely have the exact opposite impact, however is less significant as United have no FFP issues. I think they would likely agree inprinciple however expect a premium on the loan fee or purchase price in order to agree.

Not sure if this makes sense, Im and accountant so better with numbers than words!
Thanks for the explanation. Isn't this all just semantics though?

I was just about to write the same thing and then noticed your post.

I don't rate Lukaku as a Utd player but he was our main goalscorer for the last few seasons and sending him to Inter will leave a hole we need to fill (from outside the current squad). £ 9 million is not going to scratch the surface of helping us to purchase a replacement either as an established striker or a young one with potential.

If the balance is guaranteed from Inter AND the Glazers release £ 54 million into our transfer kitty for THIS season then I'd be happy with that but to lose our main striker (donkey that he is) for only £ 4.5 million this season is quite frankly a kick in the nuts.
Totally see your point, but I'm not sure we even need a replacement. Let's not forget that Solskjaer sees Lukaku as a back-up and we've got Martial and Greenwood for that role as well.

As you say, the balance will be guaranteed: no way we'd do a loan deal without agreeing the purchase clause as well.

To be honest I think he's a player who doesn't suit our system or meet the level we aspire to reach, and he's even less valuable if he's actively looking to leave.

What if after 2 years, Inter can't pay the 60 million euros due to lack of funds or more FFP problems? Or he doesn't perform to an adequate level and they find a loophole which allows them to not purchase him?

I don't know if these scenarios seem realistic, but this sort of deal seems extremely dodgy to me.

If I’ve got the wrong end of the stick and it’s Inter that we’re being called pathetic, then that’s fine - and I take back my protestations. I thought it was aimed at Utd, who by all accounts haven’t even received an offer yet.
No, I don't complain about how United deals with transfers. Most of the time it's above board and perhaps too honest. Most people who do around here do so without material facts but plenty of hysteria.

It's not ideal, but I honestly believe there is no situation where we get more for him next summer. And the sums - even discounted (could we build an inflationary indexing?) - are decent for an out of favour player.

I really think he might be done at the highest level and has lost a step.

What if after 2 years, Inter can't pay the 60 million euros due to lack of funds or more FFP problems? Or he doesn't perform to an adequate level and they find a loophole which allows them to not purchase him?

I don't know if these scenarios seem realistic, but this sort of deal seems extremely dodgy to me.

Certainly best off avoided

problem with selling him is that there isn't much else out there on the market. Ben Yedder will be 29 in August ffs.

real lack of quality strikers out there.

One foot in the grave.

I believe the second comment is sarcasm, and it's justified.
A 29 yo striker might not be a signing for the long run but not every signing needs to be a young prospect to fill the position for a decade. A short fix signing can be very good if it works. Ben Yedder is a goal machine and at 29 yo he's still in his prime. Bar injury or a steep decline, both unlikely, he's still good for another three years or even more.
Here's a list of 30+ strikers who would have been very useful for us if they had signed at 29:

Quagliarella - 36
Dzeko - 33
Cavani - 32
Suarez - 32
Vardy - 32
Aguero - 31
Lewandowski - 30

He has to move and he knows it. Euros are next summer and if he stays here he won't play all the time and Belgium have other strikers.

He is not nailed on to start st United or Belgium. he has to go somewhere where he is wanted and will be used correctly.

Why is it that we typically lose money on every player we buy?

Only two who buck the trend being Ronaldo and potentially Pogba?
Because we only sell players, generally, who we don’t want any more. That’s not difficult to understand.

Lukaku isn’t a better player than when he joined, so we’ll be taking a loss. Honestly, if we can get anywhere near £70m for him I’d be amazed and bite their hand off.

If he is leaving. United dont need to buy a new big exactly same kind of striker. Go back United in the 90s with King Cantona. Who are top notch to set up chances and scoring goals. Find a new ideal nr.10 free playmaker. A player like Zidane/Kaka/Cantona in that role behind the nr.9 will suit really good. He has to get a winning head and guts like those 3 i mentioned.

Players out there that i can see could fit that role.

Federico Chiesa, he roam all over the attacking line. Really quick in head and feets. High winning mentality and always give you 100% on the pitch.

Felix - a bit skinny. But really good to set up and score too. If the rumours is right he might end up at A Madrid.

Maddison - really good, butat this moment i rate both of Felix and Chiesa above him.

Then you have Bruno, Coutinho and Draxler. If Draxler has the same mentality of Chiesa, he would lift his level. The Draxler boy has top skills in small area, but he is lacking the top head and guts.

There tou have the nr10 options im having in my head right now.

I might go for Chiesa. Because i know what i will get in him. Guts, hard work and skills. He is a winner, same head and attitude as Rashford.

Go back to United direct football. Then you need really quick feets and head players. Players with top vision, hard work and winning mentality.

Even if he’s not my cup of tea we should not be looking to sell him at anything below £75m because of lack of obtainable world class forwards. Admittedly, he has certain positive attributes which few strikes around have and we can’t rely on Rashford alone going into the next season.

If inter want him they better pay up, the cheeck on them to try and low ball us now after they were quoting us insane sums for Perisic. If they want this ridiculous loan deal it’s better be in the region of 100m € in total to account for the time value of money.

It's not ideal, but I honestly believe there is no situation where we get more for him next summer. And the sums - even discounted (could we build an inflationary indexing?) - are decent for an out of favour player.

I really think he might be done at the highest level and has lost a step.
Not sure he's done but yeah I hear what you're saying. If the final fee is guaranteed (and it will be) we should take it.

He's not in Ole's first XI or looks like he fits the style we want to play. He wants to leave and is on a pretty high wage. All that together is a pretty potent combination.

For those reasons I would be happy if we could get £65m for him. If they want the structure to be a loan with guarantee to buy then they should pay a premium... £5m extra for each year or something like that.

Of course we should try and get as much out of Inter as possible, but let's not cut our nose off to spite our face

Spain still produce the best technical midfielders and number 10s. Fornals will be a top player for West Ham and Ceballos will be a great buy for whoever gets him. France under 21s have been bossed in midfield tonight and that's with Aouar, Guendouzi and Tousart.

Get Ceballos feeding Rashford and he will replace Lukaku's goals and more.

Doesn't seem like the best stat.

How often does Lukaku take a shot that you wouldn't expect literally any striker to score?

Martial doesn't attempt enough shots to make it that useful either.

Does it mean Aguero is worse than them at finishing, or doing/trying more?

Doesn't seem like the best stat.

How often does Lukaku take a shot that you wouldn't expect literally any striker to score?

Martial doesn't attempt enough shots to make it that useful either.

Does it mean Aguero is worse than them at finishing, or doing/trying more?

I think we just create less in general.

Because we only sell players, generally, who we don’t want any more. That’s not difficult to understand.

Lukaku isn’t a better player than when he joined, so we’ll be taking a loss. Honestly, if we can get anywhere near £70m for him I’d be amazed and bite their hand off.

But that itself is a damning inditement on our scouting and transfer policy. How is it that out of our team we would struggle to even recoup transfer fees from years ago, like Darmian, Jones, Smalling despite there being a huge inflation in prices and the latter two playing on a regular basis for us.

That's not even mentioning players like Fred who we only recently bought for up to 50m but despite year over year transfer inflation I dont even know if we could get £25m for him right now.

You might argue Lukaku hasn't got better, but he's got no worse. Is prolific internationally, at his peak or with a good number of years ahead of him.

Club seem happy with the concept of loan + obligation,Lukaku wants the move so some minor upward tweaking of the figures should do the trick.
Don't let Ed feck it up by holding out for 80M,there ain't anyone queuing behind Inter!

If it’s a contractual obligation then there not much they can do about it. They’d still have to buy him and face the FFP penalties. Of course United could just allow inter to postpone the payment by six months or a year and charge them interest on the amount. I could be wrong but I don’t think it’s a big issue.

Club seem happy with the concept of loan + obligation,Lukaku wants the move so some minor upward tweaking of the figures should do the trick.
Don't let Ed feck it up by holding out for 80M,there ain't anyone queuing behind Inter!

What makes you say so?

But that itself is a damning inditement on our scouting and transfer policy. How is it that out of our team we would struggle to even recoup transfer fees from years ago, like Darmian, Jones, Smalling despite there being a huge inflation in prices and the latter two playing on a regular basis for us.

That's not even mentioning players like Fred who we only recently bought for up to 50m but despite year over year transfer inflation I dont even know if we could get £25m for him right now.

You might argue Lukaku hasn't got better, but he's got no worse. Is prolific internationally, at his peak or with a good number of years ahead of him.
Oh yes, it is an appalling reflection on our scouting and recruitment . But then, if we signed the right players in the first place, we wouldn’t be selling them.

The transfer fee is also just slice of the bigger package though. I think people are a bit fixated on the transfer fee because it makes a good headline. Sanchez, if he sees out his 4 year contract, will still have cost the club over £80m in wages alone, before we look at bonuses, image rights etc.

We made a couple of million on Daley Blind’s transfer fee I think. But the other side of it is someone like Darmian, who we tried/are trying to get £10m for. No club is going to pay that, so we’ll end up losing him for free.

Ok but it’s the up front fee that’s the sticking point. Why not sell him with 10m up front and 70m in two years? If that’s the only way to get to 80m. And I laid out the argument for that in some relative detail. You don’t need the 50m up front if it’s a barrier to a sale or getting the optimal fee.

Why don't we need it upfront? We absolutely do. We need to invest money in replacements and probably in other areas too. Will add in our transfer budget while help us achieve this seasons goals.

We don't get the money upfront, lose His goals and also have to spend in other areas while this eating into our budget. Does this make any sense?

We are not loading debt on to us to help luakaku and inter get his move at our seasons goals expense.

The boards policy is clear, we need to sell to buy in positions we are already stacked up.

Why don't we need it upfront? We absolutely do. We need to invest money in replacements and probably in other areas too. Will add in our transfer budget while help us achieve this seasons goals.

We don't get the money upfront, lose His goals and also have to spend in other areas while this eating into our budget. Does this make any sense?

We are not loading debt on to us to help luakaku and inter get his move at our seasons goals expense.

You aren’t really understanding how football transfers tend to work. Been explained in detail in this thread.

You aren’t really understanding how football transfers tend to work. Been explained in detail in this thread.

Oh come on, I understand the other side of it completely. This is not an counter argument to my point.

It's a legal obligation they can't get out of it, they owe us money and legal authorities will be on their backs alongside football authorities. On that part it's like not paying your regular installments which happens.

Do you think this type of deal will help us reinvest in the team this summer in other positions with a month left and find even replacements for him with a month left while also being in the risk of losing his goals and thus our own financial goals with lack of champions league qualification if we fail to do so? I don't think so.

The obligation to buy won't cover our risks arising him for letting him go this summer for such a kind of deal.

Do you think this type of deal will help us reinvest in the team this summer in other positions with a month left and find even replacements for him with a month left while also being in the risk of losing his goals and thus our own financial goals with lack of champions league qualification if we fail to do so? I don't think so.

The obligation to buy won't cover our risks arising him for letting him go this summer for such a kind of deal.

You think if we sell Lukaku, we will get all the 70 million upfront?

Have just seen this story that they want to loan him for 2 years first then purchase. Why dont we just lube up the pen during the contract signing, bend over and let them stick that in as well

You think if we sell Lukaku, we will get all the 70 million upfront?

Expect it in two instalments over two years with a different buyer, with the money there is in the business. Business is not our main focus, football is. Our top 4 and europa league is at stake, while also the need to invest in other areas. Inter could join us in europa league in February too and become our competitors this season.

There is no reason we take such a poor deal where we don't see the cash for so many years, while sabotaging our own team with a heavy need to reinvest, just because we want full money back on our purchase.

If his goals wins us the europa league again even a slight loss on sale in future with good percentage of money upfront will be a good deal. Don't just tell me there are no other buyers for him than inter if he even has a decent season with us with wingers supplying him to score.

Status
Not open for further replies.