Lukaku - transfer speculation | Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should sell for £70m. We should be happy if we can get more from the loan fee.

Assuming that they have an obligation to buy rather than an option then I am happy with this deal. I think everyone should be, he doesn't suit us so it makes sense to try and recoup something. I think he will do great at inter.

Think what people are missing here is that under no circumstances would we get £80m in one hit. It would be £16m a season over the term of his 5 year contract. 95% of deals are structured like this in football. The £80m we got in one for Ronaldo was a rare deal.

Inter are basically proposing to stretch the payment terms from 5 to 7 years with a lower value initial term over the 2 year 'loan' option. We need the overall values increasing closer to the £80m we want but the only sticking point for me would be who is paying the wages over the loan period.
It doesn't work like that at all :lol: Instalments have nothing to do with how you show it in your books.
There is absolutely no way we are paying his wages during the loan period.

As I said before it's a decent opening offer and we will probably find an agreement on something like €20m + €65m which is ultimately our asking price. We are not going to find a buyer to pay that amount upfront, it's going to be instalments for at least 2 years anyways and knowing that there are not many clubs (if any) interested in him, I would say take it.

We need to compromise here but need more money from them upfront. It’s very telling we don’t have clubs queuing up to buy him. I’d take a deal now because his value will only decrease imho.

I don't see why people are worried about x amount up front. I want a better overall price, but if the money comes and we're not paying his wages, then get that guy on the plane.

Its shocking that even in this inflated market we are taking a bit hit on a 26 year old, but the loan proposal is an interesting concept.
I don't pretend to understand the complexities of these type of deals, but £9M upfront with a further £53M in 2 years time?

In my naivety, I'd suggest that the upfront fee needs to be higher, say £20M and that the remaining balance should be settled in two equal annual instalments, but maybe that's not even particularly relevant?

This proposal certainly gives us a platform for some negotiations, and there isn't a long queue for Lukaku, so an offer of £62M might be as good as it gets.

We owe inter absolutely nothing, if they want it over installments like that they should pay 85m. They were trying to milk us over Perisic no time a go, we shouldn't be doing them no favours.
Yeah but from Inter’s point of view it’s them doing United a favour. Lukaku is not in the manager’s plans, is desperate to leave and it looks like they are the only club to want him. So United aren’t in a particularly strong position.

Whether the manager is right to not want Lukaku as first choice is a question for a different discussion.

I don't see why people are worried about x amount up front. I want a better overall price, but if the money comes and we're not paying his wages, then get that guy on the plane.
Because surely the point of selling him is to then use that money for our squad overhaul? How does getting 10m over the next two years help with that!? I think it’s a ridiculous offer personally. He’s still young and his goal scoring record is fantastic.

He won't be here come the start of the season IMO.

Ole wants him out, he wants out, win win situation. We will definitely need another striker to take his place though, I wonder if we will go the experienced route like a Mandzukic/LLorente type signing to play 2nd fiddle.

We've been linked with Ben Yedder and Dembele but i'm not sure they'd be happy playing 2nd option.

I'd happily give Rashford/Martial/Greenwood the central striker role for now and get another winger in like Pepe.

I personally think its a good enough offer provided we have the funds to bring a replacement in. Which surely we do.

Because surely the point of selling him is to then use that money for our squad overhaul? How does getting 10m over the next two years help with that!? I think it’s a ridiculous offer personally. He’s still young and his goal scoring record is fantastic.
Because we are not Newcastle. We have money and will spend more especially if we know we are getting £60m after 2 years and most transfers are done in instalments anyway.

No deal, unless they pay the money up front or offer us a player that would interest us, with cash.

Grateful for what? Having Belgium’s number one striker? Who else in world football is getting sold for cheap with Lukaku’s C.V? He’s 26 by the way.
Spot on. Can't believe some fans willing to let go of him on the cheap.

1. We don't have another experienced striker that would lead the line
2. He is still a top forward - more than 200 career goals and still 26. WC bronze ball last year. In this inflated market where full backs go for more than 50m pounds why we should let him go for anything less than 70-80m pounds?

Yeah but from Inter’s point of view it’s them doing United a favour. Lukaku is not in the manager’s plans, is desperate to leave and it looks like they are the only club to want him. So United aren’t in a particularly strong position.

Whether the manager is right to not want Lukaku as first choice is a question for a different discussion.
United aren't in a weak position either, player would like a move but we won't be forced to sell. It benefits everyone if he goes I think, we rightly should be demanding a huge fee, feck Inter.

Yes, it was rumoured for PSG and Mbappé but I wasn't sure about the exact rules.

Maybe the loan deal is not to bypass FFP but something to do with Icardi.

From Fabrizio Romano's article
The Italian side are still eager to sell their Argentinian forward, Mauro Icardi, and are hopeful of getting around £60m for him but if they seal an initial loan deal for Lukaku, the need to sell Icardi becomes less pressing.

Because we are not Newcastle. We have money and will spend more especially if we know we are getting £60m after 2 years and most transfers are done in instalments anyway.
If we don’t need the money then why sell him at all? It’s up to Inter to force our hand here...they want him then they can stump up more than 10m over the next two years. As it stands that’s one hell of a deal for Inter in this market for a striker yet to reach his peak who regularly puts in one goal in two numbers.

Is there at possibility that Skriniar could be worked into any deal for Lukaku?

If we don’t need the money then why sell him at all? It’s up to Inter to force our hand here...they want him then they can stump up more than 10m over the next two years. As it stands that’s one hell of a deal for Inter in this market for a striker yet to reach his peak who regularly puts in one goal in two numbers.
I didn't say we don't need the money. Everyone needs money :lol: However we don't need a full amount upfront to be able to sign other players especially as most deals are being done in instalments anyway. I think it's a reasonable opening offer and we will probably reject it but eventually agree to a slightly bigger amount, near the £75m. I don't understand why people are so obsessed with getting full amount now.

We should still push to make that total reach 80M even if it is initial loan fee+later installment. This of course we will agree if we are not dependent on Lukaku transfer money to chase our planned targets.

We need the money but we don't need to have it upfront, we just need the obligation.

Maybe the loan deal is not to bypass FFP but something to do with Icardi.

From Fabrizio Romano's article

Just looked at their financial reports and they are in a decent state, the issue has to be FFP and offsetting previous years, remember that they just got out of a deal with the FFP committee. Or they are taking us for a ride.

What happens if a club can't meet their obligation to buy? Do we have to accept a devalued player back after the loan?

That's like asking "what if the club can't arrange money to pay the installment". They will have to somehow.

Wow some of the comments on here are mind blowing similar to tabloids papers comment section, from he's rubbish, to just take whatever Inter offers. You the ones saying that, do realize that whilst playing less than Mr hasn't signed a new contract Rashford, he was our top scorer from open play.

Also for the ones saying we are rich, hmm some of you are the ones saying the owners spent nothing, and then just expect them to take hits, yes we make a ton of money, but you don't just keep buying at top price just to give away for nothing 2 yrs later to a club who has money, but wants to spend it elsewhere as to compete now is what could be a decent season where Juve dont get it there own way.

No doubt these are the same fans wonder why we get mugged when buying and put it down to our name which is laughable, we get mugged because till JM we rarely made profit on player sales, ABM 65 up front and a yr later take a 20 million hit. RL 75 and 2 yrs later some fans happy to take 9/10 million.

Just looked at their financial reports and they are in a decent state, the issue has to be FFP and offsetting previous years, remember that they just got out of a deal with the FFP committee. Or they are taking us for a ride.

I think they are finally free from settlement period. They have boosted their commercial revenue (thanks for few Chinese companies) and are in decent state. I think maybe there is some truth in what Fabrizio Romano said.

What happens if a club can't meet their obligation to buy? Do we have to accept a devalued player back after the loan?

It's a legal obligation they can't get out of it, they owe us money and legal authorities will be on their backs alongside football authorities. On that part it's like not paying your regular installments which happens.

If their first offer is 62m pounds, then I can see us relenting and lowering our price to around 72-73m and that'll get the deal done. Not bad.

I think they are finally free from settlement period. They have boosted their commercial revenue (thanks for few Chinese companies) and are in decent state. I think maybe there is some truth in what Fabrizio Romano said.

I know but FFP doesn't disappear and their imbalanced books didn't disappear either, they still have to manage the 5 years period.

If their first offer is 62m pounds, then I can see us relenting and lowering our price to around 72-73m and that'll get the deal done. Not bad.

Yeah, they made 62 million pounds, going by few reliable journalists we want 80 million, so like AWB deal there will be a middle ground to complete the deal.

what @dove said. Also, he really doesn't fit the football everyone wants to play. He suits a Conte system and no one wants that here.

I know but FFP doesn't disappear and their imbalanced books didn't disappear either, they still have to manage the 5 years period.

Didn't they do it already? They were in monitoring period for so long. Last few seasons they sold few players (usually young players to cook up numbers) to comply with FFP. Thought they are out of settlement period and can spend within FFP limit like any other club.

£62m is fine for Lukaku. If we can negotiate a little bit more then great but it's in the ball park of what we should be accepting.

Can someone please explain how installments work?

Like let's says player X wants to go from club A to club B. The fee is 100m. Club B says it will pay this over 2 years.

But isn't this bad for club A, since it's losing out on interest for the other 50m it didn't receive the same year?

£62m is fine for Lukaku. If we can negotiate a little bit more then great but it's in the ball park of what we should be accepting.
Considering the inflation it isn't really. Lukaku is still a big name in football and we paid more for him than that, prices have only sky rocketed since.

If we want to replace him with a similar level striker we will have to pay more than that I guarantee you.

Didn't they do it already? They were in monitoring period for so long. Last few seasons they sold few players (usually young players to cook up numbers) to comply with FFP. Thought they are out of settlement period and can spend within FFP limit like any other club.

No, the settlement period is a way to avoid immediate sanctions it doesn't make your 3 years period clean. The settlement is from 2015, so i wouldn't be surprised if they need one more year to be totally free from the period, also 2016/2017 was a spendy year for Inter.

Last edited:
No, the settlement period is a way to avoid immediate sanctions it doesn't make your 5 years period clean. The settlement is from 2015, so i wouldn't be surprised if they need one more year to be totally free from the period, also 2016/2017 was a spendy year for Inter.

Settlement period was for 4 years, from 2015 to 2019 and Inter completed it. Now they are free from settlement period.

From official report.
Subject and Purpose of the Settlement Agreement

The Settlement Agreement covers the four sporting seasons 2015/16, 2016/17, 2017/18 and 2018/19. For the duration of the Settlement Agreement, the Club will be subject to on-going restrictions which have been agreed by it and which are summarised further below. 

The main objective of the Settlement Agreement is to ensure that the Club becomes break-even compliant within the meaning of the CLFFPR at the latest in the monitoring period 2018/19; i.e. its aggregate break-even result for the reporting periods 2016, 2017 and 2018 must be a surplus or a deficit within the acceptable deviation in accordance with Article 63 of the CLFFPR.

https://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFile...ncialControl/02/24/67/80/2246780_DOWNLOAD.pdf

Later UEFA confirmed they have completed the settlement period.
Inter are no longer restricted by the terms of the Settlement Agreement signed with UEFA for breaching Financial Fair Play according to a statement on UEFA’s homepage.

According to the statement, Inter have fulfilled all the terms set out in the agreement and are therefore allowed to exit the Settlement Agreement.

“The Club Financial Control Body investigatory chamber confirmed that FC Astana, Beşiktaş and FC Internazionale Milano have been considered in compliance with the overall objective of their agreements, signed in May 2016 for FC Astana, and in May 2015 respectively for the latter two. Consequently, they have now all exited the settlement regime.”

This means that Inter can register a full squad when participating in the Champions League or the Europa League as opposed to this past season where they were unable to register more than 19 players.

This also allows the club greater leeway on the transfer window and they can spent more freely on signing players within the rules of FFP which apply to everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.