Luis Nani | 2012/13 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
You must have watched a different game to both myself and a friend who I was texting. We both agreed he was poor, and we are both United fans.

What's the use of having so much talent if he's so inconsistent?

You must have been too busy texting then, since he was probably their best player, once again. All best chances in the game were set up by Nani, and he was involved in the goal too eventough it was accidently.

I don't understand this. he has done fairly well in the last couple of games, showing signs of coming back in form.
he is the only player in our team who can do everything in attack. everything. he is class.
it will be terribly stupid of us to let him go.

I'm also pretty sure he had more assists in 2010-11, but I don't really know any other website showing assists...

Fantasyleague.com use a very narrow definition of an assist - any deflection of an opponent or team-mate and the assist is gone:

http://www.fantasyleague.com/Classic/Stats/Player/nani.aspx?groupid=5

18 is a phenomenal number, here is last season's top 10 (sadly can't find the data for prior to that, other than player-by-player):

David Silva 17
Juan Mata 15
Luis Antonio Valencia 14
Gareth Bale 13
Nani 12
Robin van Persie 12
Emmanuel Adebayor 12
Alex Song 11
Ashley Young 11
Theo Walcott 11

I was going to say this too. I don't remember BBC doing a story from this sort of angle on anybody.

This thread has grown nearly 30 pages in the last month, despite (or because of) the fact he hasnt been playing all that much. Seems like there is quite a bit of interest in the subject. Doesnt that make it newsworthy?

Nani needs to knock England out of an international tournament, and then he will reach new heights

If we sell Nani...fecking hell

The beeb seem to think a deadline day deal collapsed because nani wouldn't agree on wages? Surely SAF wouldn't have sold him on deadline day with young injured and no other cover?

We'd be mad to sell him, he's been one of our few players who could change a game with a flash of brilliance in recent seasons.

The beeb seem to think a deadline day deal collapsed because nani wouldn't agree on wages? Surely SAF wouldn't have sold him on deadline day with young injured and no other cover?

We'd be mad to sell him, he's been one of our few players who could change a game with a flash of brilliance in recent seasons.
deadline day deal? Sounds rather wrong to me. I couldn't see us selling him on deadline day without a replacement already at the club. Particularly not with young out for a bit. Seems the papers are clutching at straws to make a story out of nothing to me.

Point stands though I think. For a player of Nani's talent and age to go from a club of United's quality for that fee, it would be crazy.

I thought the Kagawa and Cazorla fees were absolute bargains (similar fees), but it was at least a little more understandable in light of the clubs they came from. Hopefully the whole thing is a load of bollocks, but it ever came to it we'd be mad to let him go for less than about £25m (maybe a bit less) I reckon. He's one of the best in his position on the planet.

It was only during 10/11 that we would've laughed off an offer of £30m, perhaps more.

Just saying the valuation of those players is wrong by default because they're english and the moves are made between english clubs.They shouldn't be used as a template to guess how much Nani could be worth

Don't think we'll get rid of him until we identify a replacement. We're pretty short in wide positions as it is. We might have sold him if we managed to get in Hazard or Lucas.

Nani needs to knock England out of an international tournament, and then he will reach new heights

If we sell Nani...fecking hell

I understand Nani is a very big player for us, but I don't like how people make out about him leaving would be catastrophic. He's definetly replaceable, and with the inconsistency he brings - it wouldn't be that difficult for Fergie to find a player who can actually pull a shift in consistently.

Sounds harsh and it may sound I'm underestimating Nani's quality. I'm not - Nani on his day is unplayable at times; but we don't see those days often.

If he's been trying to play hardball with United regarding his contract, then I won't shed a tear if he leaves.

I understand Nani is a very big player for us, but I don't like how people make out about him leaving would be catastrophic. He's definetly replaceable, and with the inconsistency he brings - it wouldn't be that difficult for Fergie to find a player who can actually pull a shift in consistently.

Sounds harsh and it may sound I'm underestimating Nani's quality. I'm not - Nani on his day is unplayable at times; but we don't see those days often.

If he's been trying to play hardball with United regarding his contract, then I won't shed a tear if he leaves.

Can't think of any players out there available who would be able to replace him tbh. We missed out on two who can eventually become as good as him (Hazard probably already is) but apart from them I can't think of any tbh.

Well Godfather that's why we're football fans and that's why there are real football scouts.There are always gonna be players who will pop up and that we wouldn't have heard of

Agree with this.

Well Godfather that's why we're football fans and that's why there are real football scouts.There are always gonna be players who will pop up and that we wouldn't have heard of

Well of course but that's the reason why many as me would deem it as a bit stupid to let him go, as we as fans don't konw players that are capable of replacing him. And it's not like we've bought players that the club thought had a lot of potential and that ended up as being pretty wank.
I wouldnt like to see him go at all. And seeing as we weren't able to get neither Lucas nor Hazard I don't believe this story about the deadline transfer.

Can't think of any players out there available who would be able to replace him tbh. We missed out on two who can eventually become as good as him (Hazard probably already is) but apart from them I can't think of any tbh.

Muniain
Rodriguez
Gotze

Whether we'd get them or not is another thing of course.

I'd like him to stay and rediscover his form...but if he goes I'm really not getting into 'disaster' territory. It's only a disaster if he is replaced by inferior options.

If he is then we will suffer.

Muniain
Rodriguez
Gotze

Whether we'd get them or not is another thing of course.
Munain is great, but it's a little off everyones radar now a days isn't him? I don't know what to make of Rodriguez just yet. Sure is talented, but can he up a level?
And Goetze is surely a fine player, but if we're gonna raid Dortmund again, I would rather Gudogan...

If he goes I wouldn't be surprised if there is no like-for-like replacement. Especially if we are going to be playing without wingers more often. We already have quite a lot of attacking options.

Was going to mention this...I'm not sure if it's the way we are going, but if we are, it's possible we might look for someone in the Isco mould.

If he goes I wouldn't be surprised if there is no like-for-like replacement. Especially if we are going to be playing without wingers more often. We already have quite a lot of attacking options.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is no replacement at all.

Has all the natural ability needed to be world class; speed,two good feet, ferocious shot etc but unfortunately he has no brain

This is silly. It's not a "brain" he's lacking, it's concentration. He rarely seems to be fully focused.

But the thing is playing with width or not Nani is one of the few genuine attacking players that can play anywhere across the front. He can be that wide option or he can come inside, he frequently show's he's really good at making those diagonal runs inside. Valencia isn't going to do that, I don't think Young does it with the same quality nor Welbeck or Hernandez. As good as our diamond has been so far it's lacked someone who can play a narrow game but also posseses great pace and ability to beat a man and Nani is the best fit for that role beyond maybe Kagawa.

I don't think he does that any more. He just doesn't take the option with as much vigour or fluency, and doesn't consistently pull off what he can pull off at the moment due to hesitancy.

He picks the right option far more than someone like Giggs for example, who is often praised for his footballing intelligence despite being far more wasteful.

But the thing is playing with width or not Nani is one of the few genuine attacking players that can play anywhere across the front. He can be that wide option or he can come inside, he frequently show's he's really good at making those diagonal runs inside. Valencia isn't going to do that, I don't think Young does it with the same quality nor Welbeck or Hernandez. As good as our diamond has been so far it's lacked someone who can play a narrow game but also posseses great pace and ability to beat a man and Nani is the best fit for that role beyond maybe Kagawa.

I think you're preaching to the converted. Not too many people would disagree I suspect. Not saying I want to lose him or that we couldn't use a replacement. Just saying I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't get one.

Having said that I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed either. Most surprising would be to sell him and then spend the money on an established replacement.

I think his brain is fine, he makes smart moves, shows good awareness of where people are etc, he's selfish and prone to trying to do to much, not the same as not seeing the options, he clearly does as he always links up well with people it's just that final bit he sometimes tries too much. So far he's shown the best link up with Kagawa than anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.