Louis Van Gaal - Press Conference vs Burnley - Feb 10th

ffs. All I see is 8 pages of "blahblahblag-long balll-blahblahblah-fat sam"

Is there any actual news about the game? Who's in, who's out, who's fit, who's not?

ffs. All I see is 8 pages of "blahblahblag-long balll-blahblahblah-fat sam"

Is there any actual news about the game? Who's in, who's out, who's fit, who's not?
It appears the press officer is a doubt due to a strained working relationship with LVG.

Sam must be laughing.
I don't need stats to tell me we are keeping the ball without going anywhere. And the our answer to going behind was bringing Fellaini on and trying to pump balls into the box. No amount of stats can change that.

I don't think he wants to play that style.. But we arent creating much just keeping the ball. Its pointless, toothless possession.
We play 2/3rds of the game at a very slow pace.. and keep the ball.

Then panic and start pumping balls in.

van Gaal should focus on getting his selection right and not waste time taking color printouts for the media

"In the end, we couldn't cope with the long balls Manchester United kept putting in the box," said Allardyce.

"It was just, thump it forward and see what they could get. In the end, it paid off for them."

Doesn't even sound like an accusation to get worked up about. It's Big Sam being Big Sam. Bit flippant..so what.

not overly arsed. can't see why he's let himself be dragged into a tactical debate with sam f**king allardyce though.

did his print out give away anything about why he's persisting with rooney in midfield?

The pressers, albeit rather dull, weren't anywhere near as important as they were made out to be last season and that remains the case this season.

One thing I do like about Van Gaal is his general habit of talking about the football. He's happy to talk about tactics and playing styles in press conferences which make for a more interesting 15 minutes.

Last edited:
This is just LVG showing that he is superior, that his knowledge of football cannot be called into question. And woe betide anyone who does... Big Sam firmly put in his place I would say! It's LVG's way of saying "I'm better than you". I quite like that in a manager.

"In the end, we couldn't cope with the long balls Manchester United kept putting in the box," said Allardyce.

"It was just, thump it forward and see what they could get. In the end, it paid off for them."

Doesn't even sound like an accusation to get worked up about. It's Big Sam being Big Sam. Bit flippant..so what.

He did later call us "Long ball United".

Yeah, and to be honest, he didn't even claim United played more long balls than West Ham. Just that we resorted to it as we got desperate. And you can understand why he'd find that funny.
The fact is that we did resort to long balls and knock downs, and the diagrams from van Gaal don't really disprove that.

This is just LVG showing that he is superior, that his knowledge of football cannot be called into question. And woe betide anyone who does... Big Sam firmly put in his place I would say! It's LVG's way of saying "I'm better than you". I quite like that in a manager.

Great stuff. We sacked Moyes to replace him with someone better than Big Fat Sam.

Absolutely cringeworthy and pathetic can't believe people think this is funny or smart buy LVG, it's embarrassing.

Pretty sure everyone associated with any other premier league team is laughing at us right now. If Brenda Rodgers did anything like this we would mock him no end.

Where did anyone say it was eithe of those things?

Yep. Flippant. That's it.

Think of all those times when Van Gaal talks about opponents in pressers and describes them as a team that plays long balls. It may come across as pompous but so what. Allardyce got under his skin.

as cringey as FSW and his facts

why even bother responding? ahhhh LVG, thought you had more sense about you

get the impression he's feeling the stress

LvG should have just admitted we were a long ball team and insisted that it would be our main tactic in all future games. Whether that's true or not, it would have made for a better response.

I'd much rather Van Gaal concentrated on getting us playing some decent football on the pitch rather than trying to show how technically brilliant he is on paper.

Oh god why has he turned into Rafa?

Yep. Flippant. That's it.

Think of all those times when Van Gaal talks about opponents in pressers and describes them as a team that plays long balls. It may come across as pompous but so what. Allardyce got under his skin.

I don't see how that is Big Sam getting under his skin. Why allow some no talent, hoof merchant call you a hoof merchant when you are not? Can't allow that nonsense to go unchallenged so put him back in his place and show him up for what he is... a no talent hoof merchant. Very clever by LVG. He could have just said "pot calling kettle?" but this is a much more firm and decisive way of saying it. It's a logical and rationale demolition of Big Sam's comments.

Nowt wrong with LVG here. Problem is this supposed press officer. I've put her title in italics because a press officer is presumably someone who advises on the management of media and how to cultivate a positive coverage in the press as opposed to a negative one? In that case I'd suggest that clearly undermining the manager of your club in a press conference might indicate that you are, in fact, more of a feckwit than a press officer and that your career might just lie elsewhere. P45 for that clown.

Every paper in the country will go with "Van Gaal says United aren't long ball" headlines tomorrow and the word everyone will forget from that headline is "aren't". More people want cigarettes when they walk past "no smoking" signs. Tell someone not to think of giraffes and they'll immediately think of a giraffe.

The words United and long ball in headlines in every paper will only increase the link between the two in the general consciousness, no matter how well argued the point that it isn't true. It's like a "Joey Barton not a thug" headline. People will see Barton and thug in the headline and think "there's no smoke without fire; why would he deny it if it wasn't partly true".

Also it gives every paper license to find their own stats to make United look bad again and makes it a hot topic for any writer short of ideas for an opinion piece for the next few weeks. If he doesn't talk about it the story dies in days. Now it should hang about a few weeks if not months, unless something really special happens in the next couple of league games.

Last edited:
Did he really need to bring that to a press conference .Sam must be smiling.

When every paper in the country delivers the "Van Gaal says United aren't long ball" headlines tomorrow, what words will everyone remember? Probably won't be "aren't". More people want cigarettes when they walk past "no smoking" signs.

The words United and long ball in a headline will only increase the link between the two in the general consciousness, no matter how well argued the point that it isn't true. It's like a "Joey Barton not a thug" headline. People will see Barton and thug in the headline and think "there's no smoke without fire; why would he deny it if it wasn't partly true".

What the feck are you on about?? :lol:

Problem is every paper in the country will go with the massive "Van Gaal says United aren't long ball" headlines tomorrow and what words is everyone going to remember? Probably won't be "aren't". More people want cigarettes when they walk past "no smoking" signs.

The words United and long ball in a headline will only increase the link between the two in the general consciousness, no matter how well argued the point that it isn't true.

It's like a "Joey Barton not a thug" headline. People will see Barton and thug in the headline and think "there's no smoke without fire; why would he deny it if it wasn't partly true".

Also it gives every paper license to find their own stats to make United look bad again and makes it a hot topic for any writer short of ideas for an opinion piece for the next few weeks.
Jesus. Your brain is weird.

The scariest part me in all this that LVG justifying his approach to the way we have been playing football. If anything this will make him more determined to prove his point, which means more shit football in store for us. Brace yourselves for Fellaini replacing Di Maria or any other attacking player.

The 'pass, pass, pass at the back and then hoof it forward' football is here to stay..:nervous::( Apparently it is called "posession football".

I'm not too bothered, but he really should have just ignored him or make some comment along the lines of 'he's free to say what he wants, but he's wrong' or something.

If it were Rodgers or Wenger we'd be ripping the shit out of them.

I just watched it, he seemed to be enjoying the show of it all. Smug Louis.

Every paper in the country will go with "Van Gaal says United aren't long ball" headlines tomorrow and the word everyone will forget from that headline is "aren't". More people want cigarettes when they walk past "no smoking" signs. Tell someone not to think of giraffes and they'll immediately think of a giraffe.

The words United and long ball in headlines in every paper will only increase the link between the two in the general consciousness, no matter how well argued the point that it isn't true. It's like a "Joey Barton not a thug" headline. People will see Barton and thug in the headline and think "there's no smoke without fire; why would he deny it if it wasn't partly true".

Also it gives every paper license to find their own stats to make United look bad again and makes it a hot topic for any writer short of ideas for an opinion piece for the next few weeks. If he doesn't talk about it the story dies in days. Now it should hang about a few weeks if not months, unless something really special happens in the next couple of league games.

From that logic if someone accused you of being a terrorist or a rapist or whatever and you denied it, it must then be partly true?