Louis Van Gaal - Press Conference vs Burnley - Feb 10th

Also, why is the club employing a team of people who's purpose seems to be to produce poxy diagrams designed to distort the truth so we can pretend we didn't spend part of a game hoofing the ball when actually we did?
:lol:

You're gonna make him sacked someday, noodle.

If people are talking about "long ball Utd" they're not talking about "complete sh1t performance Utd". I'd much rather see him try to justify that.

It's basic journalism, advertising and psychology. Say "not something", "isn't something" or "don't something" and it'll make people think more of the something than the denial, advice or restriction.

If you put up "don't take drugs" signs on every corner it works more as advertising than warning. If somebody takes out the front page of the Sun to say "I didn't have an affair" , "I'm not tight" or "I don't support terrorism", about 5 million more people will think they are the thing they denied than if they'd just stayed quiet.

Good dissertation. But why is it written in different fonts?

People are perverse, and the law of unintended consequences rules. Reminds me of those public health anti-AIDS advertisements back in the late 80s, which made you want to run to the nearest pub and drag the first bimbo you could lay hands on back to the house.

The story would have quickly died a natural death, but LvG gave it the kiss of life.

Somehow I suspect he's not a genuine moron.

Allardyce called us "long ball United" and this bothered Van Gaal - who has a massive ego and prides himself on coaching his teams to play with a specific possession-based style - hence he responded. All very petty and unnecessary but really not that big a deal. Just the sort of stuff we were warned to expect when Van Gaal took over. Surprised it took this long for him to pick a fight with someone tbh.

Honestly, the drama and hyperbole in this thread (and so many others in recent weeks) is just weird.

Which would be fine if it wasn't for the fact Van Gaal bought Fellaini on and ordered his team to hoof the ball to him for the last 20 minutes. Is he pretending he didn't do this now? Or trying to pretend Allardyce is a liar? Anyone who watched the game knows that we did this, regardless of how many bits of paper Van Gaal wants to carry around with him.

It is the behaviour of a moron.

Meh. He has a big ego and likes to put on a bit of a show. He said all this with a slight smirk on his face and referred to Allardyce by his nickname. Rafa's voice was cracking with emotion with his 'facts' that weren't. He was affected. Totally different scenarios.

Which would be fine if it wasn't for the fact Van Gaal bought Fellaini on and ordered his team to hoof the ball to him for the last 20 minutes. Is he pretending he didn't do this now? Or trying to pretend Allardyce is a liar? Anyone who watched the game knows that we did this, regardless of how many bits of paper Van Gaal wants to carry around with him.

No, he said he did in the press conference. Watch it.

You really don't get it, do you? Allardyce called us "long ball United". This rubbed Van Gaal up the long way, as it implies that was how we approached the game overall (and, presumably, every game we play) when in actual fact it only applies to the closing minutes of the game. You know this, though. You've already said it. Which makes your outrage even stranger.

Could you watch the conference before ranting?

I can't watch it.

Did Allarcyde say we are a long ball team, or was he very very obviously referring to the part of the game in which we decided to hoof the ball to Fellaini?

Because if it was the later (which it was), what exactly is it Van Gaal is disputing that isn't the truth?

To be fair we all knew LVG couldn't take a joke before he signed for United. He's really not one to take a slagging in good form

I can't watch it.

Did Allarcyde say we are a long ball team, or was he very very obviously referring to the part of the game in which we decided to hoof the ball to Fellaini?

Because if it was the later (which it was), what exactly is it Van Gaal is disputing that isn't the truth?

'kin hell. How's about reading the posts you respond to? Twice now, I've told you that Allardyce called us "long ball United"

You really don't get it, do you? Allardyce called us "long ball United". This rubbed Van Gaal up the long way, as it implies that was how we approached the game overall (and, presumably, every game we play) when in actual fact it only applies to the closing minutes of the game. You know this, though. You've already said it. Which makes your outrage even stranger.

Allardyce was very clearly referring to the closing part of the game. He said "long ball United" as a tongue in cheek remark. You can watch his comments and this is 100% obviious

Van Gaal's acting like one of the unbearable feckwits on here who twist what people say so they can make a non existent argument out of it.

He's arguing against an argument that Allardyce never even made. I.E. he's behaving like a moron.

What part of this is not correct?

Allardyce was very clearly referring to the closing part of the game. He said "long ball United" as a tongue in cheek remark. You can watch his comments and this is 100% obviious

Van Gaal's acting like one of the unbearable feckwits on here who twist what people say so they can make a non existent argument out of it.

He's arguing against an argument that Allardyce never even made. I.E. he's behaving like a moron.

What part of this is not correct?

I'm pretty sure Noodlehair lives in an alternative reality and the Caf is just a portal which somehow connects to our world. Need further proof - see the general. Closest thing we'll ever get to an alien invasion during our lifetimes.

'kin hell. How's about reading the posts you respond to? Twice now, I've told you that Allardyce called us "long ball United"

Yes and you're deliberately ignoring the context in which he said it, in order to try and pretend our manager isn't being embarrassing.

Don't throw yourself into the idiot ring with him for feck sake.

I can't watch it.

I think he was referring to the end. I think he was having a joke and LvG has not taken it very well.

I think he was referring to the end. I think he was having a joke and LvG has not taken it very well.

That's exactly what he was referring to and what happened, but no matter, the caf has reinvented what he said and in what context so they can pretend Van Gaal isn't being an idiot.

The annoying thing here is that Van Gaal has allowed Fat Sam to wind him up with the long ball comments.

I think we have been more long ball than I'd like but Fat Sam was clearly just wound up himself that he'd gotten so close to beating us for the first time in about 13 years and it was snatched away. "Long ball Utd" is clearly going to be the story now for the next few months, Van Gaal should have just ignored it.

Incidentally going 13 years without a win against us is shocking, I count at least 4 last minute equalisers along the way too which must annoy Sam up even more. Lovely.

I can't watch it.

To me it seems like some sort of translation issue. What Van Gaal says doesn't really argue with what Allardyce said, just seems that somewhere he may have thought that Allardyce said it about the whole game or whatever, which is what van Gaal is disputing.

Why rant about something before you've even watched it for context?!

He may have had a bit of a point but it was embarrassing stuff really and rising to a jibe from Big Sam was just totally unnecessary, it is the kind of thing that the press just lap up, exaggerate and will use against him. Allardyce was having a dig because he has a chip on his shoulder about Moyes and a foreign coach being brought in and not being criticised as much, he saw and took his chance on Sunday to make a point that would have been quickly forgotten.

LVG should have just dismissed it and moved on, it’s not the end of the world or a meltdown but it is petty and it looks like he was riled by Allardyce (which he and everyone else will love).

Being completely honest our play does consist of too many long balls and too much passing between our back 4 and the goalkeeper and although that can be put down to players playing out of position, a terrible combination up front, lack of pace and hardly anyone who can beat a man etc, in the end LVG is ultimately responsible for all of it and now he has most of the players back he should be able to come up with at least some solutions.

Yes and you're deliberately ignoring the context in which he said it, in order to try and pretend our manager isn't being embarrassing.

Don't throw yourself into the idiot ring with him for feck sake.

The context in which he said it? Immediately after the game.
’In the end we couldn’t cope with Long-ball United. It's not how you normally see United play, but it got them a goal in the end. You might just criticise Louis Van Gaal for playing long balls as much as I’m sometimes criticised for being direct. In the end it’s paid off for them so you can’t knock it.’

Fairly fecking obvious how Van Gaal could construe this as a description of our overall approach to the game. With that bit about "not how you normally see United play" a reference to him going against the traditions of the club in opting to play route one.

Like I said, it's petty and unnecesary to get riled by what was said but it's really not hard to see why Van Gaal felt annoyed. Obviously, he should have risen above it but there's also no need to call him a "genuine moron" for taking offence.

That's exactly what he was referring to and what happened, but no matter, the caf has reinvented what he said and in what context so they can pretend Van Gaal isn't being an idiot.
Problem is he will have to learn to take a joke or every manager is going to wind him up no end. I didn't have a problem with the end of the game, it got us a point. It was the rest of the game that was a problem. All this could be just to take out attention away from that. SAF, Wenger, Jose are masters of it.

He said it in jest and the press predictably spun it as some sort of grave insult. All Allardyce said was we eventually resorted to long balls and he was disappointed his team did not cope with that. He never said we played long balls all game long or we play more long balls than WHU, which is what LVG seemed to take from it. I really think LVG has just misunderstood the comments.

Fairly fecking obvious how Van Gaal could construe this as a description of our overall approach to the game. With that bit about "not how you normally see United play" a reference to him going against the traditions of the club in opting to play route one.

Like I said, it's petty and unnecesary to get riled by what was said but it's really not hard to see why Van Gaal felt annoyed. Obviously, he should have risen above it but there's also no need to call him a "genuine moron" for taking offence.

There we go, then.

The annoying thing here is that Van Gaal has allowed Fat Sam to wind him up with the long ball comments.

I think we have been more long ball than I'd like but Fat Sam was clearly just wound up himself that he'd gotten so close to beating us for the first time in about 13 years and it was snatched away. "Long ball Utd" is clearly going to be the story now for the next few months, Van Gaal should have just ignored it.

Incidentally going 13 years without a win against us is shocking, I count at least 4 last minute equalisers along the way too which must annoy Sam up even more. Lovely.
Big Sam also pushed the right button and on the irony it can give Louie something to think about... We can only hope.

I think it's pretty clear that Van Gaal interpreted Big Sam's comments as indicative of our "style", not merely a plan B. This isn't particularly shocking given that Sam was clearly goading him, saying on a few occasions "Long Ball United" (implying this is our new style). That and the fact that the media plastered those 3 words on every headline as a result of his comments and it's quite obvious why Van Gaal (given his arrogance) got pissed.

If the media splashed "Big Sam hails Van Gaal's plan B" (which he technically did, saying: "In the end it’s paid off for them so you can’t knock it"), then nothing would have been said.

I'm a little disappointing that Van Gaal didn't study the comments more closely before going on the offensive, but that's by-the-by.

Big Sam also pushed the right button and on the irony it can give Louie something to think about... We can only hope.

This is what I take from this, hopefully it makes LVG rethink things a little

To me it seems like some sort of translation issue. What Van Gaal says doesn't really argue with what Allardyce said, just seems that somewhere he may have thought that Allardyce said it about the whole game or whatever.

Why rant about something before you've even watched it for context?!

The fact that Allardyce's comments were found under headlines like "West Ham's Sam Allardyce calls Manchester United a long ball team" and "Manchester United - Are they a long ball team under Louis Van Gaal?" probably didn't help.

It might be fecking obvious but it's also fecking difficult to argue that it doesn't boil down to Van Gaal acting like a moron.

I would like to see someone present me with a valid argument as to how this press conference doesn't make Van Gaal look stupid. Seeing as so many seem so utterly riled by the mere suggestion that it does.

If I think someone is being a moron then that will be my opinion. I'm sorry if this is some kind of taboo on here...but if it was Jose or Wenger doing this you'd all be having a right laugh about how amazingly stupid they were being, and you know it

This is what I take from this, hopefully it makes LVG rethink things a little
He already done some of his math when abandoned 3-5-2 at least for a while. Not a rocket science but he has ability to listen.

Somewhere deep inside, there is still hope for the 'genuine moron'. :lol:

Can someone tell me on average how long he has lasted at his previous clubs?