Loris Karius appreciation thread

Yeah. No. That would vindicate him, if he didn’t have a history of howlers. He’s just a shit keeper.

It would vindicate him for that game. Although he isn't as consistent as someone like de Gea, he's improved across this season.

OK, it's possible. Do we have anything else which he did that was a bit strange?

Karius must have been concussed for 6 months, because he's been flapping at shots for ages.

Maybe Dzeko snuck in a cheeky elbow when the ref wasn't looking?

I don't know much about Karius, but Ruud Gullit was interviewed after the game and he said that his son (Ruud's son) warned him about Karius and he predicted something similar to what it happened.

Regarding Ramos move, there is something strange in what he does with his arms indeed but the angle is terrible and VDV pushing him just before the clash doesn't help to think there was premeditation.

If this is true then I actually feel bad for him.

I would actually blame Karius for this as well because if he felt he was concussed, or had any sign of problems in his vision etc, he should've signaled to the Pool bench for attention. Though, I understand, that it being a UCL final and he wouldn't have wanted to come off from such a big occasion, he wouldn't have wanted to put attention on himself incase the Pool bench. Or I'm being very cynical because people in this thread have said players usually can't tell that they are suffering from concussion. Regarding the blame on the Pool bench, I think the incident happened so quickly that maybe they weren't aware of the seriousness of it, plus Karius never showed signs of being in major discomfort for the Pool bench to come over and check him.

One thing I will definitely blame is how Liverpool have treated this after the match. If they have suspicions that Karius was concussed then they should have done much more to show support for him during the incredibly difficult days for him after the match. Instead, Liverpool were silent on the matter in the media and instead leaked rumours of them desperately looking for goalkeepers to replace him.

Say what you want regarding Karius' performances during the final, he was performing at a decent level before that (21 goals in 23 games, with 11 clean sheets, since he became the number 1). If you disregard the final performance then many Liverpool fans would've been okay with keeping Karius as their goalkeeper and spending money to strengthen over parts of the squad. He is still only 24 and can improve further. If Liverpool were okay with him before the final, then, knowing he had a concussion for the most of the second half, they should be showing more faith in him than they are now. Feel bad for him a bit given how he's been treated since that match.

Not what I said at all. All of this is based on RUMOURS that Karius got tested and was positive for a concussion. God knows how media outlets found out the exact details of these tests, down to the number of tests he took, how many came back positive and also the exact doctor that saw over his case.

Then you have the problem of whether the Ramos incident even caused the concussion. Since the test was done well after the game, it's impossible to know what caused the concussion. He could have gotten it on a different set piece, he could have landed awkwardly and hit his head on the ground. He could have got it after the game.

Those two blunders do not fit a concussion unless you are extremely biased and looking towards a concussion as an assumption (was Ulreich also concussed when he lost co-ordination of his hand and legs against Madrid as well???). Otherwise, you would have to conclude that Karius was concussed against Roma when he made a very similar blunder. Or the countless other blunders that he made.

If you don't understand how those mistakes could be caused by a concussion, I see no need to discuss this any further with you.

I would actually blame Karius for this as well because if he felt he was concussed, or had any sign of problems in his vision etc, he should've signaled to the Pool bench for attention. Though, I understand, that it being a UCL final and he wouldn't have wanted to come off from such a big occasion, he wouldn't have wanted to put attention on himself incase the Pool bench. Or I'm being very cynical because people in this thread have said players usually can't tell that they are suffering from concussion. Regarding the blame on the Pool bench, I think the incident happened so quickly that maybe they weren't aware of the seriousness of it, plus Karius never showed signs of being in major discomfort for the Pool bench to come over and check him.

One thing I will definitely blame is how Liverpool have treated this after the match. If they have suspicions that Karius was concussed then they should have done much more to show support for him during the incredibly difficult days for him after the match. Instead, Liverpool were silent on the matter in the media and instead leaked rumours of them desperately looking for goalkeepers to replace him.

Say what you want regarding Karius' performances during the final, he was performing at a decent level before that (21 goals in 23 games, with 11 clean sheets, since he became the number 1). If you disregard the final performance then many Liverpool fans would've been okay with keeping Karius as their goalkeeper and spending money to strengthen over parts of the squad. He is still only 24 and can improve further. If Liverpool were okay with him before the final, then, knowing he had a concussion for the most of the second half, they should be showing more faith in him than they are now. Feel bad for him a bit given how he's been treated since that match.

If you have a concussion, you're not capable of making the decisions you want from him there. I was once concussed during a game. Broke my nose and got knocked out. When I woke up, I wanted to continue playing and actually got angry, because my coach obviously wouldn't let me.

If you don't understand how those mistakes could be caused by a concussion, I see no need to discuss this any further with you.

Now you're just being dishonest. Most goalkeeping blunders can be attributed to concussions, because they almost always involve a lack of mental focus, poor co-ordination and slow reaction times. That doesn't mean you fit them to a concussion.

Rumours in the press do not constitute evidence of a concussion. And these very rumours don't even support your theory because the tests were taking after the game. So there's no way to know what caused the concussion IF it exists in the first place.

The final nail in the coffin is that Karius has made similar errors in other games, and unless he was concussed in those as well your concussed theory doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

If you have a concussion, you're not capable of making the decisions you want from him there. I was once concussed during a game. Broke my nose and got knocked out. When I woke up, I wanted to continue playing and actually got angry, because my coach obviously wouldn't let me.

That's true, like I said I'm post I maybe am being very cynical.

Going over Karius' form in the EPL, when compared to De Gea he had better numbers in some key areas. Higher clean sheets per game ratio, aerially stronger (more punches and catches) though he saved less shots. Ofcourse not saying he is in better than De Gea but it does shed light on his form going into the final (for comparison, Mignolet is worse than both De Gea and Karius in all the stats I was looking at).

Considering how young he is for a goalkeeper, there is definitely reason to try and continue with him. But ofcourse for that to be successful you need to show confidence in him following that mental torture, which Liverpool poorly have not.

That's true, like I said I'm post I maybe am being very cynical.

Going over Karius' form in the EPL, when compared to De Gea he had better numbers in some key areas. Higher clean sheets per game ratio, aerially stronger (more punches and catches) though he saved less shots. Ofcourse not saying he is in better than De Gea but it does shed light on his form going into the final (for comparison, Mignolet is worse than both De Gea and Karius in all the stats I was looking at).

Considering how young he is for a goalkeeper, there is definitely reason to try and continue with him. But ofcourse for that to be successful you need to show confidence in him following that mental torture, which Liverpool poorly have not.

So.... you're basically saying that he's proven himself to be a top keeper & that Liverpool have let him down.

I like it, :D.

If, as a professional athlete, you feel you've probably got a concussion and don't inform your medical team, you've made a mistake.

Find it a bit surprising that the club didn't communicate this to the public, if the stories about the tests are indeed true. Must have been a nightmareish couple of days after the final for him, maybe it would have eased the pain of getting criticised and mocked by every breathing person, from professionals to people who hadn't watched a game in their lifetime.

Wait. What? We have people people on a Manchester United forum defending Karius’ glorious display as a concussion symptom and absolving Liverpool’s medical staff, whilst simultaneously defending Pep against claims of racism by Yaya Touré?
What has happened here people? Let me remind you, we revel in Karius’ glorious performance and we enjoy that the symbol of post Oil State Funded City has shat on the floor on his way out. Priorities folks, get it together.

Effin Ogden won't shut up on how Karius had a concussion.

If you've got a concussion, it very likely that you don't know you have a concussion (professional athlete or not).

Can't agree with this. You always feel that there is something wrong. You might feel from a bit sluggish to totally disoriented but there are always indications that your body isn't functioning properly.

Now you're just being dishonest. Most goalkeeping blunders can be attributed to concussions, because they almost always involve a lack of mental focus, poor co-ordination and slow reaction times. That doesn't mean you fit them to a concussion.

Rumours in the press do not constitute evidence of a concussion. And these very rumours don't even support your theory because the tests were taking after the game. So there's no way to know what caused the concussion IF it exists in the first place.

The final nail in the coffin is that Karius has made similar errors in other games, and unless he was concussed in those as well your concussed theory doesn't hold up to scrutiny.
To me it feels like you're going out of your way, to create unlikely scenarios, instead of accepting that what most likely (not certainly) happened is exactly what I have described. Ramos and Karius had contact. That contact was of a nature forcible enough, to cause a concussion. Shortly thereafter, Karius had two extreme blunders in his game. The first one being so bizarre, that it was even extremely unlike for someone as prone to errors like Karius, to commit it. Then he had another bad one. So you have one blunder so bad, most goalkeepers don't have a single one like that for their whole career and another bad one, in the same game. Even for someone like Karius, that is highly unlikely to happen under normal circumstances.
Shortly after the game, the first rumors of a possible concussion made the rounds. Now a paper with a history of getting access to intimate details, with a history of even receiving information directly from the people involved, especially when it comes to sports, reports, that the team suspected him of a concussion. They claim, the team sent him to an expert, who ran multiple tests with him, the majority of which indicated a concussion. Therefor, it is extremely likely that he had just that: a concussion.
The symptoms of a concussion are many. Generally, a persons brain functions are affected, to varying degrees. Also a persons balance and concentration are affected. A person might experience (or is likely to have) a feeling of confusion, dizziness or fatigue.
Now you could collect the dots and create the following narrative:
He got concussed early in the game, most likely when he and Ramos had contact. He then suffered typical symptoms from a concussion, possibly without even realizing, that he is indeed concussed. Due to those symptoms, he caused the two blunders, which were even extremely unlikely for someone like him. After the game, he started to feel more symptoms, pr the symptoms got worse, or the docs got suspicious and he got checked up. He was then thought to be concussed, sent to Boston to be sure and the suspicion got affirmed. He is concussed. Due to leaks in the club, or on purpose, Bild got a hold of the information (which happens all the time).
What you are suggesting is, that he might very well had the worst game of his life and through coincidence, got concussed later. While that is possible, wouldn't you say that it is highly likely the first version, or a form thereof is true? And if so, shouldn't that absolve him from criticism, as he was injured, after all?

Can't agree with this. You always feel that there is something wrong. You might feel from a bit sluggish to totally disoriented but there are always indications that your body isn't functioning properly.

I've had a concussion before, I fell off of a BMX and tried to get back on to try the jump again. I have no memory of it (just friends who told me I was saying "I'm fine, I'm fine" as I stumbled about). One of the symptoms is confusion, including not being aware that you are concussed.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/concussion/symptoms-causes/syc-20355594

"It's possible to have a concussion and not realize it"

But I guess that's just the experts from the mayo clinics. What do they know?

He actually did try :D

DedsmsVXkAES9bE.jpg
:lol:

German newspaper creating a piece to defend a german player under a german manager. Add to this that Karius has a history of making these types of mistakes (he kicked the ball out for a corner from a goal kick against Sunderland...).

Then you have to find proof of causality. Where is the evidence that Karius was concussed by Ramos...the scan was done after the final so the injury could have happened at any point on the day. According to the article, the Liverpool medical staff were concerned after the game and so sent him to get scanned...so thas negligence for letting him go on for so long with a possible concussion.

It is possible that Karius had a concussion from the Ramos elbow, but not based off the evidence available.

No, he got that afterwards in an unrelated incident.

The concussion presumably happened just a few minutes before the first goal in the collision with Ramos.

If you've got a concussion, it very likely that you don't know you have a concussion (professional athlete or not).

You would also get dizzy, wobble around and look disoriented, something he didn't at all. As time goes by, you certainly get these symptoms, as well as headaches and so forth. Blaming this on a supposed concussion? Of course they would.

The fact it took over a week to find out shows a serious lack of competence from the Liverpool medical team.

The concussion presumably happened just a few minutes before the first goal in the collision with Ramos.
I know. I was making a bad joke in regards to the discussion above.

Has he played all season with a concussion?

So.... you're basically saying that he's proven himself to be a top keeper & that Liverpool have let him down.

I like it, :D.

Hahaha No double agenda but yea I think Karius has been sold down the river by Liverpool, pretty bad from them. I wouldn't say he is a top keeper but certainly one to keep faith in for the future.

I have no reason to doubt what the doctors say, so my next question is, why was a concussed player not diagnosed promptly and given the appropriate medical assistance he required?

Feel pretty sorry for the guy if this is true, was bad enough that he was getting death threats from Liverpool fans for a couple of mistakes but it's even worse now it turns out he made them cos of a concussion.

Absolute and utter bollocks.

This is an attempt to save his career and also help Liverpool save face after being priced out for Alisson and ultimately end up end with Karius starting in goal next season.

The Liverpool medical staff failed to diagnose this at the time? Poor showing. After Cech got his skull cracked I thought Premier League medical staff were meant to have got hot on head injuries. Another Liverpool failure on the night then. Even the bench didn’t do it’s job.