Lisandro Martinez | Signs for United

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he’s going to play as DM then it seems a great signing. If he’s going to play as a CB, then I would be slightly concerned.

A factor we should be considering with potentially acquiring Martinez is that if he ever lines up next to Malacia on the left side, that would put our defence under some pressure that teams would come up with strategies to exploit that

Yes, height. Well posters have addressed his height individually but next to Malacia, who's 5'6, that would put the left side of our defence under constant aerial bombardment and long switches to that side.

With how ETH plays, possession and high line, back line wont have to worry much about crosses in the box. Except against some really strong opponents of course. So I don't see that much of a problem. We need fast backline much more than height, because of that high line.

It’s worth to pointing out we are not depleting Ajax squad. This is the only one we are going to sign from them after Timber is ruled out. So, not rob them at all.

It’s worth to pointing out we are not depleting Ajax squad. This is the only one we are going to sign from them after Timber is ruled out. So, not rob them at all.
Not us solely but they’re probably going to lose half of their first team to various clubs. Makes sense we’d have to offer a sum they couldn’t refuse.

Not us solely but they’re probably going to lose half of their first team to various clubs. Makes sense we’d have to offer a sum they couldn’t refuse.
I know. It’s a situation they might need to recover for a year or two considering their new manager is an unknown factor.

With how ETH plays, possession and high line, back line wont have to worry much about crosses in the box. Except against some really strong opponents of course. So I don't see that much of a problem. We need fast backline much more than height, because of that high line.

Exactly. People like to think in boxes and don't understand there are no perfect players and if there are then everyone wants that player and the chances he'll play for your team are really small anyway. Sure you can sign big strong defenders that can cope with big strikers. But what if they are slow and panic when they are put under pressure in possession you're going to have other problems. But with Maguire and Lindelof in the team you should be aware of that. There are no defenders that check all the boxes. Fast, strong, tall, great tackling, great positioning, great passing, calm in possession, leadership. There are no defenders that tick all the boxes. You have to concede somewhere. Ten Hag needs players that are good in possession and pressing because he wants to play a high line. Even the consequence is that he'll have to concede height, than that's a better option for him than to play with a strong/tall defender that panics when he has the ball.

Sure you're going to be vulnerable in set pieces if your playing small defenders. Sure you might struggle in the last 10 minutes if you're 1-0 up and the opponents put it a big striker or put a big central defender forward and try to create chaos that way. But there is no perfect scenario in where there are no risks. There has been no team in history that had no weaknesses. Barca's tiki-taka team had 10 midgets and Pique. Even the goalkeeper was a midget. They were very vulnerable in set pieces or if they played a team that could actually get to their box. But this did not happen very often. Of course ideally you have everything, but in reality the perfect players don't exist. It's about gelling the team together and finding a match between all your players. In Ten Hags philosophy he wants to keep the opponent away from goal. Pressing, aggressiveness, positioning and being comfortable in possession of the ball is more important than pure physical strength or height. If a choice has to be made, therefore he'll choose to sacrifice height.

Seriously, do you really mean that United won't need to worry about crosses because of the way ETH plays? In a league that is renowned for it physical play, putting in crosses to the strikers is maybe the most used solution the weeker teams do create a threats to the better teams. Even City and Liverpool has to defend quite a few crosses during most of their matches, it doesn't matter how they play. The thing is the with the physicality of this league, Martinez can be as fast and aggressive as possible, but as a central defender he will struggle when the crosses start flying and no matter what style ETH brings the crosses will come.

BTW, to all of you who think he will be a great central defender, try to find out how many central defenders with a height shorter than 1.80 m that has been considered a top class Premier League central defender. The answer is in that number. Won't be many if any, and to improve and bridge the gap to the top we need a top class central defender.

Last edited:
I think the advantage of height is overestimated imo. I feel as long as the CB has the aggression he will be fine. And aerial duels make up a small amount of actions a CB has to deal with in the game today.

I think the advantage of height is overestimated imo. I feel as long as the CB has the aggression he will be fine. And aerial duels make up a small amount of actions a CB has to deal with in the game today.
Nah it’s pretty important, you have to be really clever if you’re under 6ft especially in the prem

We've had Lindelof as CB for years. He has height but a total pussy and not good at dealing crosses or high ball at all. Albeit my preservation about Martinez height, I keep consoling myself that this guy is the better Lindelof in passing, pace, while ten times more aggressive. So this argies should/might be fine then.

Do we think there is any chance he is utilised as a defensive midfielder if he is signed? I think he is like Blind, in that he is a utility player. If that is the case it is a smart signing by Ten Hag, potentially filling a number of holes in the squad in one.

Do we think there is any chance he is utilised as a defensive midfielder if he is signed? I think he is like Blind, in that he is a utility player. If that is the case it is a smart signing by Ten Hag, potentially filling a number of holes in the squad in one.
Ten Hag is on record saying he doesn’t fancy him as a midfielder so I doubt it.

We've had Lindelof as CB for years. He has height but a total pussy and not good at dealing crosses or high ball at all. Albeit my preservation about Martinez height, I keep consoling myself that this guy is the better Lindelof in passing, pace, while ten times more aggressive. So this argies should/might be fine then.
I am not sure if he is better than lindelof as you think, but he plays as LCB which is a position no one except Maguire can play well in our squad. He is also flexible. Should be a good buy.

I am not sure if he is better than lindelof as you think, but he plays as LCB which is a position no one except Maguire can play well in our squad. He is also flexible. Should be a good buy.

I am 110% sure he's better than Lindelof. Lindelof is a coward and should have no business as a CB for any aspiring CLub.

Nah it’s pretty important, you have to be really clever if you’re under 6ft especially in the prem
For a top side it's far more important to have a CB who is strong at defending in isolated space rather than winning aerial duels imo. And as long as the CB is aggressive, he might not win the ball outright but he'll disrupt the opponent. And that applies to Martinez from what I've seen and hence his aerial ability is good relative to his height.

Give me a short aggressive CB who is good at defending in isolated space along with being excellent on the ball over some of the current options who have been regulars for us in the last few years.

For a top side it's far more important to have a CB who is strong at defending in isolated space rather than winning aerial duels imo. And as long as the CB is aggressive, he might not win the ball outright but he'll disrupt the opponent. And that applies to Martinez from what I've seen and hence his aerial ability is good relative to his height.

Give me a short aggressive CB who is good at defending in isolated space along with being excellent on the ball over some of the current options who have been regulars for us in the last few years.
Spot on mate. The nickname of Butcher of Amsterdam seems appropriate.

I'd never heard of or seen this guy play before he was linked with us but my word those highlight compilations and the passing/progressing play stats are impressive. Especially the vid done by Raees.

I for one am very excited about this potential transfer. He seems to be a combination of Heinze and Blind.

So, with Skriniar, De Ligt and Kounde on the market, would someone still take Lisandro?

They’d be a bit more expensive, sure, (De Ligt quite significantly) but not by much really - two of them should go for 65m, I reckon. Of course, they may not want to come, EL is a big problem. But in a hypothetical scenario I’d be interested to know why would anyone pick Martinez.

Although I do essentially agree, out of the transfers we look to be making De Jong was always going to be the most tricky and time consuming.

Yeah it's the marquee buy and one of Barca's first XI players so never gonna be easy

So, with Skriniar, De Ligt and Kounde on the market, would someone still take Lisandro?

They’d be a bit more expensive, sure, (De Ligt quite significantly) but not by much really - two of them should go for 65m, I reckon. Of course, they may not want to come, EL is a big problem. But in a hypothetical scenario I’d be interested to know why would anyone pick Martinez.

I would pick De Ligt and Kounde. The issue is better clubs want them (Chelsea, Barca, Bayern). Skriniar i dont rate highly.

Kimpembe is apparently also available.

I think Skriniar is massively overrated so I wouldn’t take him over Martinez. De Ligt, sure. Kounde I’d see as a similar profile with similar risk involved. Martinez’ versatility and leadership qualities may edge that for me.

Overall I think he’s a very solid buy for £35-40m and judging from what I’ve seen, he has brilliant passing range and accuracy. If you add De Jong and Eriksen to that, we’ve gone from having almost nobody that can keep the ball effectively to three that are world class at it.

Has he ever even played much in defensive midfield? Genuine question as I think we're signing a centre back (and a very highly rated international one too)

I think Skriniar is massively overrated so I wouldn’t take him over Martinez. De Ligt, sure. Kounde I’d see as a similar profile with similar risk involved. Martinez’ versatility and leadership qualities may edge that for me.

Overall I think he’s a very solid buy for £35-40m and judging from what I’ve seen, he has brilliant passing range and accuracy. If you add De Jong and Eriksen to that, we’ve gone from having almost nobody that can keep the ball effectively to three that are world class at it.

Yeah will definitely keep the ball better, just need someone to provide that steel in midfield along with someone to finish the chances created by De Jong, Eriksen & Bruno.

Status
Not open for further replies.