Lionel Messi

Evolution. There will be someone even better. But maybe not in our lifetime.

I think its the marriage of a player like him and growing up in a club that puts forward players awareness and technique.

Growing up in Barca was perfect for his talents because it amplified them.

He's been playing as the greatest of all time for about a decade now, but Barca have never been more reliant on him then they are now. Like the rest of the team lets him down so often yet they'll probably win every trophy their in, purely down to his genius. Incredible really. People could have pointed to Messi being surrounded by a brilliant team and systems before for their prior CL successes, though of course everyone still knew Messi was still the main man. Now they have a solid defensive system but in terms of possession, creativity, attacking... it's all on Messi. Nobody else can carry a team like that. Nobody ever.

As good as Hazard is at dribbling, he is not better than Messi at dribbling now, let alone in his prime.

He is better atm. Not prime Messi. Hazard is better at retaining the ball and is more efficient. Messi is nowhere close to his prime which is understandable. Hazard is the best as far as I'm concerned.

The big difference it he burst off pace from starting positions which Messi no longer has (when compared to Prime).

He's quite obviously the best player of all time.

It's way more special and difficult to stand out like he does and be 1 in 7bn, than it is to 1 in 5bn (1990), 1 in 4bn (1980), 1 in 3bn (1960) etc.

That's an interesting way to look at it, but you need to compare him not to total population, but to male populations of playing ages. Given the increased longevity across the globe, I am pretty certain that the difference between M 18-38 populations in 2019 compared to 1990 or 1980 is not as large as the difference in respective total populations.

I don’t think there’s any player out there - Ronaldo included - who can get hold of a game in the way Messi can. Ronaldo, like Messi, is an absolute match winner but he doesn’t control the whole tempo like Messi does.

Genius.

Forgetting the eye-test for a second, how do his dribbling stats compare with Messi?

Are we sure Hazard's a better dribbler than Neymar?

I'm sure he's the best. Last year he was the best statistically in Europe. Yes, Hazard is a level above Neymar when it comes to Dribbling. Hazard is the closest to Prime Messi atm including current Messi himself.

Hazard is better at shielding the ball and bursting away from the opposition.

I'm sure he's the best. Last year he was the best statistically in Europe. Yes, Hazard is a level above Neymar when it comes to Dribbling. Hazard is the closest to Prime Messi atm including current Messi himself.

I don't know. I think Neymar has a better burst than Hazard personally.

I think Neymar succeeds more with his dribbles, but also fails more.

I don't know. I think Neymar has a better burst than Hazard personally.

I think Neymar succeeds more with his dribbles, but also fails more.

I would also pose the question as to the efficacy of dribbling in situations whereby a goal is scored or created. In and around the box, Messi is still more likely to juke a defender and finish than Hazard.

I would also pose the question as to the efficacy of dribbling in situations whereby a goal is scored or created. In and around the box, Messi is still more likely to juke a defender and finish than Hazard.

That's a great point.

Hazard is a great dribbler but the efficacy of his dribbling does fall short compared to Messi.

Hazard is far less direct than Messi when he dribbles, often drifting across the pitch laterally. Neymar and Messi both dribble towards the goal far more frequently (though Neymar does often dribble pointlessly as well).

Hazard is far less direct than Messi when he dribbles, often drifting across the pitch laterally. Neymar and Messi both dribble towards the goal far more frequently (though Neymar does often dribble pointlessly as well).

Yeah I agree with this too.

I don't think Hazard's the clear best dribbler.

I think all 3 are pretty close at this moment.

I agree Hazrad is more passive with his dribbling but he is more press resistant and better at keeping the ball than Messi.

Dribbling is a tiny part anyways. End product Messi is superior with the ball at his feet to any player that is currently active and by a long distance.

Goals against the Prems top 6, this season:

Messi – 6

Firmino – 5
Kane – 4
Mane – 3
Aubameyang – 3
Sterling – 3
Lacazette – 3
Vardy – 3
Salah – 2
Hazard – 1
Lukaku – 0

I agree Hazrad is more passive with his dribbling but he is more press resistant and better at keeping the ball than Messi.

But I honestly think this is because of his passive style, rather than any superiority in dribbling. Hazard is happy to shield the ball and entice the defender to foul him whereas Messi would rather drive at the defence to get a shot off or lay a pass to his team mate. Messi usually only loses the ball when he is dribbling towards the goal and he gets crowded out + I think Messi is better than getting out of tight spaces than Hazard, who will just try and earn a foul.

It's a shame because I reckon Hazard would have far more memorable moments like that goal against West Ham if he was more direct, although I still love watching him with the ball. I do agree they are very close as far as dribbling go either way.

Goals against the Prems top 6, this season:

Messi – 6

Firmino – 5
Kane – 4
Mane – 3
Aubameyang – 3
Sterling – 3
Lacazette – 3
Vardy – 3
Salah – 2
Hazard – 1
Lukaku – 0
Didn't Aguero score a hat trick vs Chelsea? And one vs Liverpool?

He doesnt run much and just walks on the pitch, he doesnt sprint when he doesnt have a ball and it doesnt really look like he cares or fights for the jersey....

Would anyone even want him at Manchester United?

Are you asking whether we would want the the best player in the world at Man Utd? Are you on crack?

How could anyone ever have said he must prove himself in the PL? What a madness.

He’s proved himself in the PL without ever needing to sign a contract with an English club :lol:

Absolutely insane player. I said this before our tie against them, but if Messi is on top of his game, there’s nothing you can do. Your only hope is that he has an off day.

He would struggle in the PL though
Messi wouldn't struugle as long as the midfield had a player like Arthur in the midfield, alongside a destroyer, the only reason he has struggled for Argentina, is the very reason i mentioned above, it like us playing Matic and Herrera in the middle of the park.

Is he the best ever at free kicks? Is there someone else that has scored as many as him. It just seems like he scores a free kick nearly every week

Juninho Pernambucano was best free kick taker ever imo.

D5gqX20XoAEZirV

He could conceivably end his career with 50 major trophies— which is fecking insane. It’s like something you see in a game with a cheat mode on. Crazy.