La Liga - 2012/2013

I assume not many are still slagging off the quality of La Liga outside Real and Barc anymore?

All 4 sides through easily enough in the CL and non CL sides Betis and especially Atletico
looking very impressive indeed.

Atletico have had their best league start in the clubs history. They spent 1 million euros in the summer and lost their most creative player from last season.

What do we think lads, watch the Milan-Juve game or the Levante-Barca game tonight?

I hardly ever watch Serie a so for me it will be Barc.

But obviously the other is the more attractive game

I assume not many are still slagging off the quality of La Liga outside Real and Barc anymore?

All 4 sides through easily enough in the CL and non CL sides Betis and especially Atletico
looking very impressive indeed.

Not to mention Levante who keep performing miracles on one of the smallest budgets of all top European leagues (reported at €22 million, probably smaller than most Championship sides too). Last season they beat Real and led the league for 2 weeks in October, they finished 6th, qualifying for European football for the first time in their history.

This season, they're hanging in 6th again and on top of that have easily negotiated a Europa League group consisting of Hannover, Twente and Helsingborg (2nd with 7pts and still with a chance of finishing 1st if they beat Hannover by 2 goals on the final matchday).

And all this with probably the oldest back four anywhere in top flight football; Juanfran 36, Ballesteros 37, Navarro 32, Javi Venta 36 (now replaced by Pedro López a youthful 29-year old). Last season they fielded the oldest first XI in La Liga history in a game: combined age of 346 years, 31.5 on average. :drool:

They're the ultimate underdog, although not very likeable for lots of people due to some of their antics and their style of play :D

He's basically been that way since the Ronaldo-Messi creativity debate after the Dortmund game. When Benzema and Higuain were both injured and he went into the central role. Like he's been focusing more on creating rather than scoring and he's actually been doing quite well. He's been showing that he's actually a very good passer. Real however haven't been finishing their chances very well.

While this might up Ronaldo's stakes with a few, I suspect that Madrid's rivals will be more than happy that he stays further back thinking he's Zizou.:lol:

He should stick to what he does best and that is scoring. Unless Madrid have the Falcao ace up their sleeve it just ain't gonna happen for them this way.

He hasnt created many goals for a goal who's decided to focus on his creative side. I think he's just going through a rare run of bad form, simple as that.

Atletico - Sevilla just about to kick off. Chance for the hosts to go 8 clear of Real, and joint top with Barcelona again.

Atléti 1 up, Falcao penalty. Fazio sent off with a straight red, must have been some challenge... or last man maybe? Only just tuned in.

Was denying a clear goalscoring chance. Spahic also should have went for a second yellow but the ref let him off.

2-0, great counter attack and Arda finished it off via a deflection.

Will surely go down as a Spahic own goal.

Anyone think Atletico can finish ahead of Real? They seem to be taking this very seriously, rotating out fundamental players in the Europa League and all that. It hasn't happened for a long time, I'm sure.

Yep, that makes it 5 out of 11 Liga goals from the spot so far this season.
The Pichichi standings look quite one-sided if penalties are omitted

Messi, 16 :drool:
Cristiano, 8
Higuaín, 7
Aduriz, 7
Falcao, 6
Negredo, 5

2-0, great counter attack and Arda finished it off via a deflection.

Will surely go down as a Spahic own goal.

Yeah it wasn't a finish, he was crossing to Diego Costa on the far post I'm fairly certain; also it wasn't on target, so an og.

Was denying a clear goalscoring chance. Spahic also should have went for a second yellow but the ref let him off.

Yeah, but first yellow was too soft.

Anyone think Atletico can finish ahead of Real? They seem to be taking this very seriously, rotating out fundamental players in the Europa League and all that. It hasn't happened for a long time, I'm sure.

Hasn't happened since 95/96, 16 seasons ago. Can't imagine the Madrid fans wanting to keep Jose if that happened, regardless of what they do in the Champions League!

Hasn't happened since 95/96, 16 seasons ago. Can't imagine the Madrid fans wanting to keep Jose if that happened, regardless of what they do in the Champions League!
You mean Madrid fans will want Jose out if they finish third and win the CL? I don't think so.

I reckon so. Maybe Madrid fans might not want it but Perez might consider it. What were the circumstances in the Del Bosque sacking after his CL win? I can't imagine they'd be any worse than finishing below Atletico along with all this Portuguese-Spanish rift nonsense.

fecking hell we need to sign this Isco.

Especially also considering he won't cost as much as Lucas or Hazard.

Del Bosque got the bullet after a Champions League win and Capello got the door after winning La Liga.

Madrid are notoriously trigger-happy when it comes to firing managers. Although I severely doubt Mourinho's ego would let it go to that stage, he'd "resign" well before then and attach it to some sort of rift with the board. There's no way he's having a sacking on his C.V.

I reckon so. Maybe Madrid fans might not want it but Perez might consider it. What were the circumstances in the Del Bosque sacking after his CL win? I can't imagine they'd be any worse than finishing below Atletico along with all this Portuguese-Spanish rift nonsense.

If Mourinho wins the CL this season, I doubt he himself will want to stay any longer, regardless of what the club decide.

And I do think La Decima is far more important to them than any old CL win (ie Del Bosque).

Del Bosque got the bullet after a Champions League win and Capello got the door after winning La Liga.

Madrid are notoriously trigger-happy when it comes to firing managers. Although I severely doubt Mourinho's ego would let it go to that stage, he'd "resign" well before then and attach it to some sort of rift with the board. There's no way he's having a sacking on his C.V.

Del Bosque won the CL in 2002 then La Liga in 2003 but his contract was not renewed that summer (2003). He was apparently offered a technical director role but declined (per wiki), and Perez continued his 'Galactico' policy.

Mourinho is a different animal and has far more a professional and public profile. Will be interesting to see what unfolds if Real fail to take home any trophies this season and somehow finish outside the top two and/or fail to make it to at least the CL semifinals.

Last thing I want is Mourinho to get the axe and fall right into City's lap.

Got to love Levante's sign near the away locker room; "you might win here, but you will definitely suffer" :lol:

All XI players on the pitch for Barca are from La Masia. Amazing.

Fantastic, what a great club.

Can you post the starting 11?

Valdes
Alves(Montoya came on after 10/15 mins)-Pique-Puyol-Alba
Xavi-Busquets-Fabregas
Pedro-Messi-Iniesta​

Gotta love Barca tbf.

Atletico have had their best league start in the clubs history. They spent 1 million euros in the summer and lost their most creative player from last season.

It's just a pity that these sort of performances won't be rewarded with a shot at the title, which would have been inevitable in almost any other era.

There's Heynckes who won the Champions League in '98 as well.

Special special club. how are they playing?

Pretty 'meh'. Some bits of brilliance from Xavi, Iniesta and Messi aside, they haven't done a whole lot. Levante have had a chance or two to nick a goal. They're doing well, are Levante.