La Liga - 2012/2013

I said this a few years ago but Cesc is never going to start regularly for La Roja, unless there are changes made to incorporate him specifically - he's never going to supplant Xavi or Iniesta and Thiago will best him, as well.

From there, there's still Herrera, Isco and Oliver Torres. I think Cesc is going to have to make a massive leap in play to make a name for himself in Spain.

You're immensely underrating Cesc if you believe the likes of Isco and Herrera will take his place. When Cesc was Isco's age, he started in a Champions League and Euro Cup final ... For the national team he actually performs very well. Mainly because there isn't this psychological pressure to be "Barcelona's new midfield engine" and Xavi's heir. But also because del Bosque plays more of a 4-2-3-1 / 4-2-4-0 which suits him perfectly. For that trequartista role infront of Busquets and Alonso he's actually even better suited than Xavi. Cesc's main problem is that he's a creator and not a midfield orchestrator (although he played that role too a couple of years ago AFAIK). For now his main position would be where the likes of Özil and Kagawa play. Behind the striker. To create rather than dictate, as a #10. That's why Pep introduced the 3-4-3. So he could link up with Messi. But in the conventional Barca 4-3-3 a striker does not even exist and Messi does the job of a #10. That causes all kinds of confusion for Cesc. And he isn't the only world class player who struggled in that system. Ibrahimovic comes to mind. But I'm sure Tito will solve that problem. He's coached Cesc when he was a kid. No one knows him better than Tito. He'll need some more time though.

On another note:

:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

Atlético Madrid v Athletic Club tonight at 9. Should be a cracking game. Rematch of the Europa final

You're immensely underrating Cesc if you believe the likes of Isco and Herrera will take his place. But I'm sure Tito will solve that problem. He's coached Cesc when he was a kid. No one knows him better than Tito. He'll need some more time though.

You may be right and Tito might have the answers...but he might not, as well

Just about to start:
Atlético Madrid
Courtois, Juanfran, Miranda, Godin, Filipe, Mario, Gabi, Arda, Cebolla Rodríguez, Koke y Falcao.

Vs

Athletic
Iraizoz, Iraola, Gurpegui, San José, Iñigo Pérez, Iturraspe, De Marcos, Ander Herrera, Ismael, Susaeta y Aduriz.
No Llorente or Martinez pending their possible transfers
Muniain on the bench

Falcao continues his job from last season and puts Atletico 1 up

How could anyone come to that conclusion based on the last couple of games?

for starters Higuain scored to put Madrid ahead, as he did last week. Secondly they had 3 strikers last season who all broke the 20 goal mark, only front 3 to ever do that!!

Not doubting this claim but wasn't there a few seasons back (2009 I think, I remember because they beat us in the final :mad:) where Henry, Eto'o and Messi all broke the 20 goal mark as well? Or are you talking just La Liga?

I read somewhere that Courtois will be able to play against Chelsea in the Super Cup. Would be a refreshing change from the usual restriction clauses that are so prevalent in loan deals.

Not doubting this claim but wasn't there a few seasons back (2009 I think, I remember because they beat us in the final :mad:) where Henry, Eto'o and Messi all broke the 20 goal mark as well? Or are you talking just La Liga?

They scored 100 goals in all competitions between the the three of them.
Messi: 38, Eto'o 36 and Henry 26. And only Henry didn't score 20+ in the league, so they were close (he scored 19).

Cristiano, Higuain and Benzema scored 46, 22 and 21 goals respectively in the league alone.

Last season (goals in all comps)
REAL MADRID:
- Cristiano 60
- Benzema 32
- Higuain 26

FC BARCELONA:
- Messi 73
- Alexis 15
- Fàbregas 15

Bloody hell, Spanish refs and handballs...

!! Ridiculous stat alert !!

Yellow cards for handball in Europe’s top five leagues last season:

England/BPL 14
Germany/Bundesliga 15
France/Ligue 1 24
Italy/Serie A 30
Spain/LaLiga 133

:wenger:

Iraizoz has been a one-man show the entire 2nd half, kept it from being 6-0 at least.

Talking about possesion football, Bilbao had 65% of the ball in their possesion, but didn't have single shot on target in the whole game, while Atletico had only 35% and had 14 shots on target, and scored four goals.