Kylian Mbappe | Signs new PSG contract until 2025, La Liga says they intend to file a complaint

Status
Not open for further replies.
Signing Mbappé as a free agent is an even bigger deal than signing Lewandowski as a free agent and I don't know if people remember but at the time his new wage and signing bonus were a big deal. Many thought that Bayern were crazy.

Mbappe is highly reliant on his immense pace and acceleration. He can never last as long as Lewandowski has/will. He does not have the physical or technical qualities of Ronaldo to morph himself into a final third monster and sustain himself in his 30's.

I won't be surprised one bit if Lewandowski to Bayern is remembered as the better deal.

I don’t think anybody should be shocked by €50m gross (gross, since Bild - a German outlet - is reporting).
He comes on a free and it is less than half of what Messi was on and probably (i don’t have numbers) less than what Ronaldo earned at Madrid.

They'll probably give him a long term deal. Imagine if he flops. If his numbers don't match up to his salary billing I'm afraid he'll get a lot more hate than he's getting now.

Some truly bizarre agendas in this thread. Mbappe is a world class player and one of the most accomplished players ever by his age. And there's a strange level of bitterness about that from some people here.

I don't think its an agenda. I think his world cup exploits at 18 sold him to people as a player he simply isn't. They thought he's the new Messi/Ronaldo.

Now 4 years later they are still underwhelmed that he's just a top 5 player in the world despite Messi and Ronaldo declining.

Players with Mbappe's attributes always peak early so there's that too. He's very possibly stepping into his "peak".

Oh right, so since he performed for Monaco in one season, the next four seasons he's scored.......6 in the knockouts? So half his goals are from five seasons ago?

Doesn't look so impressive now does it....

Dude, I get where you are coming from.

The point is Mbappe has done well at every level since he broke out. He's the best young player in the world.

Its just that post World Cup he was marked up as the next top star of Football and he's merely top 5 right now(which is still great for his age).

So while I broadly agree with you, I'd say you are giving him a bit too much flak.

And yes, the media is obviously trying to push him a bit too desperately because they want their clicks and money. Some of it is annoying. Largely because of the sheer desperation and the lack of credit given to certain players who deserve more of it.

I reckon Football will go back to the 2000's where different players win the individual accolades based on that particular year.

Reactions: sizzling sausages
Mbappe is highly reliant on his immense pace and acceleration. He can never last as long as Lewandowski has/will. He does not have the physical or technical qualities of Ronaldo to morph himself into a final third monster and sustain himself in his 30's.

I won't be surprised one bit if Lewandowski to Bayern is remembered as the better deal.

That's beside the point. The point isn't about whether he will reach Lewandowski or Ronaldo top level but simply that signing Mbappé as a free agent today is a bigger deal today than signing Lewandowski was in 2014.

Not offended. I detailed my reasons. People ignore it.
I didn't read your reasons, but I don't think I will either because of the posts I'm reading from you right now (such as the one quoted below). To say about the guy who scored the second most goals last year behind Lewandowski, who's had more assists in the last three years of the CL than anybody, who's consistently between 30-40 goals for the past 3 seasons, and is currently the main guy in a team of Messi and Neymar, that his record isn't that good? Sorry mate, no one is going to bother reading your reasons for that. It's like someone telling me the earth is flat, I'm not really interested in their arguments for it in the face of the clear and obvious proof of the opposite.

See, things like that just make you out to be debating in bad faith. How you can even question that Mbappe was an integral part of the team tells me it's a waste of time to have a debate over him. I'd say just watch France vs Argentina, or vs Belgium (which I think was his best game without scoring a goal), but it's probably not going to make an ounce of difference to you, and that's fine. It's a silly hill to die on, but knock yourself out.

I didn't read your reasons, but I don't think I will either because of the posts I'm reading from you right now (such as the one quoted below). To say about the guy who scored the second most goals last year behind Lewandowski, who's had more assists in the last three years of the CL than anybody, who's consistently between 30-40 goals for the past 3 seasons, and is currently the main guy in a team of Messi and Neymar, that his record isn't that good? Sorry mate, no one is going to bother reading your reasons for that. It's like someone telling me the earth is flat, I'm not really interested in their arguments for it in the face of the clear and obvious proof of the opposite.

See, things like that just make you out to be debating in bad faith. How you can even question that Mbappe was an integral part of the team tells me it's a waste of time to have a debate over him. I'd say just watch France vs Argentina, or vs Belgium (which I think was his best game without scoring a goal), but it's probably not going to make an ounce of difference to you, and that's fine. It's a silly hill to die on, but knock yourself out.
Brilliant post. Mbappe is an exceptional player. His WC2018 was incredible.

That's beside the point. The point isn't about whether he will reach Lewandowski or Ronaldo top level but simply that signing Mbappé as a free agent today is a bigger deal today than signing Lewandowski was in 2014.
It is a good deal for Real Madrid for sure. It is way too early to say it is better deal than Lewandowski's free transfer after what Lewa has achieved for Bayern and top quality performance for 8 years.

It is a good deal for Real Madrid for sure. It is way too early to say it is better deal than Lewandowski's free transfer after what Lewa has achieved for Bayern and top quality performance for 8 years.

I said bigger not better.

Mad accusation. RM ready to pay last summer for Mbappe, but PSG didn't want to sell.

This guy got good fee from this transfer, so he tries to deflect from the fact the he bends backward selling two great players to Juventus in recent time.

Last edited:
Is there any other player on the market that offers that number of goals and assists? and that he is 23 years old and not 33 like Lewandowski, of course.
The numbers are exaggerated. I don't sincerely believe that Madrid will pay him 50, it will surely be 25 net + 60% image rights + commissions.
Expensive but we have also saved 200 million. It's a shame this is the case, but Cristiano and Messi have 300 million followers on Instagram, much more than any club, so it's reasonable to approach the squad by looking for a big name.
25 net = 50 gross.

And yeah. Dunno about deal done, but whatever club he ends up signing for, the wages will be in that region

The dumb argument got me curious:

Cristiano, age 21-26 seasons 06/07-10/11: 27 games, 13 goals, 5 assists in KO rounds. 0.66 goal contributions per game

Messi, age 19-23 seasons 06/07-10/11: 26 games, 18 goals, 4 assists, 0.84 gcxg

Mbappé, 16/17-20/21: 20 games, 13 goals, 3 assists, 0.8 gcxg

Somebody want to try a per minutes or per 90 comparison?

Mbappe has the "humble" arrogance to grow into his role at Madrid. When you hear him speak, he doesn't sound like a party-boy and his family situation looks excellent too. He has the physique, speed and technical skills to play anywhere in the front 3. His ability to play wide is what makes him a superior option to Haaland for any team.

This guy on a free transfer is a dream signing for Madrid. He’s already one of the best and this move will push him to achieve more. Brilliant move for Madrid.

Yeah, yeah, Ligue 1 is shite. But Mbappe's CL record is 31 goals and 27 assists in 53 matches. That's a g/a every 69 minutes in the CL.
It's "just" 23 assists, but still amazing numbers. 74 minutes per G+A is still fantastic by any standard.
....only beaten by you know who (Haaland 55 minutes per G+A) , who's done it for far worse teams. (Messi 77 minutes per G+A, Ronaldo 84 minutes per G+A, Lewandowski 82 minutes per G+A)

Brilliant performance. One of the best players in the world. I belive he can still reach a higher level like we see Salah at Liverpool and become more clinical, but mbappe pace is frightening to play against. If he improves his finishes, he is easily getting Ballon d'or in the next few years

Remember there was a time when some people here compared him to Rashford.

Also, Mbappe is easily better than Haaland. People trying to force another comparison when one player is clear. Much better fitness record too.

Brilliant performance. One of the best players in the world. I belive he can still reach a higher level like we see Salah at Liverpool and become more clinical, but mbappe pace is frightening to play against. If he improves his finishes, he is easily getting Ballon d'or in the next few years

People here are reluctant to give Poch credit but...
Poch was impressive today. They totally controlled the game and they looked assured defensively too.

PSG players have to do better in the final third with their final ball and finishing.

Reckon PSG can atleast make the semis this season if they do beat Madrid. They'll probably encounter Bayern again at some stage. Tough job ahead for Poch this season

wont be properly appreciated till he joins madrid
Agreed.

Playing in France kind of causes a lot of people to underrated him a bit, which feels crazy given what he's achieved so far in his career by age 23.

He doesn't get mentioned much in conversations over the best player in the world while the likes of Salah do.

Guaranteed he'll be winning Balon D'Ors, yes plural, once he plays for a truly big club, likely Madrid.

Thinking back when Messi signed how some people said Mbappe would suddenly become third fiddle, but he's just becoming one of the best players in the world and it's just his time now. This game definitely needed a touch of genius to unlock something, despite PSG's dominance, and he delivered it. He is the main man and has been this entire season. Didn't get his move, didn't pout or act up, got booed in the first game and just got on with his business and has pretty much been the main reason PSG is up in the league and has a lead now in the CL.

Thinking back when Messi signed how some people said Mbappe would suddenly become third fiddle, but he's just becoming one of the best players in the world and it's just his time now. This game definitely needed a touch of genius to unlock something, despite PSG's dominance, and he delivered it. He is the main man and has been this entire season. Didn't get his move, didn't pout or act up, got booed in the first game and just got on with his business and has pretty much been the main reason PSG is up in the league and has a lead now in the CL.

Every decent attempt on goal from PSG yesterday was from Mbappe. Won a penalty & his moment of magic eventually sealed the deal. Whoever gets him next year is going to be a force to reckon with.

Every decent attempt on goal from PSG yesterday was from Mbappe. Won a penalty & his moment of magic eventually sealed the deal. Whoever gets him next year is going to be a force to reckon with.
By far one of his most commanding performance as a leader of the team, it reminded me of when PSG played Messi's Barca last season when Neymar was out, he just took it upon himself and it was the same tonight. Gotta feel for Courtois a bit, he was pretty much MotM until that last 30 seconds, and Messi can breathe a sigh of relief, his record-missing penalty isn't as big of a deal as it would have been otherwise, at least until the return leg...

Surely with his pace and ability, he’s more similar to Brazilian Ronaldo (R9)?

I agree. Especially because of that playmaking instinct he inherently has. He is the closes thing to R9 around in terms of all round game
Interesting. I wouldn't associate R9 and playmaking. R9 had this crazy ability to make everything he did geared towards scoring, and he was able to finish in all kinds of situation. You could almost feel panic in the opponent team each time he got near the box.
I'd actually love to see Mbappe evolve towards that style of play, but I'm not sure he wants / can do it.
Having Messi in the team actually helps him in that regard, he can focus a lot more on finishing and less on playmaking.

Mbappe and Veratti were indispensable yesterday. And that goal was crazy! Watching him play is a pleasure. Definitely better than Haaland. If he can stay out trouble, he will fill the shoes of Ronaldo in Real Madrid, no question.

I’d quite probably have him no.1 on the P4P ranking these days. Weird how he had this weird period of being underrated for a while

Can we not try and hijack the real deal? Make him our star, throw the book at him? Build a team around him. I know he’s got his heart set on Madrid but my god, we need him. :drool:

Interesting. I wouldn't associate R9 and playmaking. R9 had this crazy ability to make everything he did geared towards scoring, and he was able to finish in all kinds of situation. You could almost feel panic in the opponent team each time he got near the box.
I'd actually love to see Mbappe evolve towards that style of play, but I'm not sure he wants / can do it.
Having Messi in the team actually helps him in that regard, he can focus a lot more on finishing and less on playmaking.
R9 s goal oriented play was so pronounced. Most people often overlooked his uncanny ability to pick out a pass and link play. Most people for example don't realize Mbappe's eye for a pass is a natural facet of his game. That its the relentless goal oriented ness of play that he is acquiring.

Can we not try and hijack the real deal? Make him our star, throw the book at him? Build a team around him. I know he’s got his heart set on Madrid but my god, we need him. :drool:
Only if we want to keep stacking LWFs!

R9 s goal oriented play was so pronounced. Most people often overlooked his uncanny ability to pick out a pass and link play. Most people for example don't realize Mbappe's eye for a pass is a natural facet of his game. That its the relentless goal oriented ness of play that he is acquiring.

That's because people seem to not realize that Mbappé really became a striker at professional level, he was mainly a playmaking wide player at youth level. As you said the goal orientedness of his game is something he has acquired last.

I hope we have more than asked. I just get the feeling that Mbappé himself wanted Madrid as an end game and used PSG as a stepping stone to achieve it. While we definitely have the money, I don't think the Glazers have the ambition that Mbappé and his family are looking for.

Best way I can describe Mbappe is as a shark or barracuda. You can never feel safe with him on the pitch because you know at any point he can just blast past a defence and he generally does every game at various times. He must be a nightmare to defend against.

When you compare Mbappe to Rashford the two key things with them that stand out (we can discuss their technical abilities etc) is that Mbappe just has that "I am the boss" swagger about him, hes had it from day one and he is just a livewire, constantly, constantly attacking.

Rashord on the other hand has never had that same kind of swagger. Which to me just points to a mentality gap between the two more than a technical gap. Some players just don't give a sh!2 regardless of the stage. Mbappe seems one of those.

Surely with his pace and ability, he’s more similar to Brazilian Ronaldo (R9)?
I'd say that he's the closest thing that we have to him at the moment. A little less magic (which made 20-years old Ronaldo look like one of the GOATs — not even in the making, in the moment) but with a better mentality and, most importantly, fitness. Incredible player. I wouldn't be surprised if he'll manage to match (or to come very close to) Cristiano's numbers at Madrid, at least for a few seasons.

I'd say that he's the closest thing that we have to him at the moment. A little less magic (which made 20-years old Ronaldo look like one of the GOATs — not even in the making, in the moment) but with a better mentality and, most importantly, fitness. Incredible player. I wouldn't be surprised if he'll manage to match (or to come very close to) Cristiano's numbers at Madrid, at least for a few seasons.

If Real Madrid don't sign Haaland and makes great signings to build an excellent supporting cast like Cristiaano had, then Mbappe could absolutely reach Cristiano's numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.