Kyle Walker | The Flash

Walkers an out and out full back, playing him as part of a back 3 resulted in Williams having acres of space time and again on their right wing as Saka was wing back was up the other end offering zero defensive help to walker. I was screaming at the to to close down the space on that side long before Williams scored.
Marc Cucurella and Williams on that side v Saka and a more central walker was what cost us that game..

Southgate reverted to a back 4 against Spain. Saka was England's most advanced forward, and 100% not playing as a right wing back.

Yup. As a Utd fan, we've seen Shaw get square on to players trying to 'press' and going into no man's land many times. Such a shame as he had a good first half but very typical of him. At first I thought Guehi could have been a bit more aggressive with covering and closing down Yamal too but perhaps I'm being a bit harsh. And then he let his man go for the winner so there's that. He also had a good tournament but those moments were costly imo.
For sure, I don't even put all the blame on Shaw (he was our best player likely) but he made a mistake and then it was like a comedy of errors aftewards. The entire team were pulled around too easy,, pretty much at will by Spain 2nd half.

For sure, I don't even put all the blame on Shaw (he was our best player likely) but he made a mistake and then it was like a comedy of errors aftewards. The entire team were pulled around too easy,, pretty much at will by Spain 2nd half.

I personally would blame Shaw (at the very least a big majority) tbh for the first goal. It wasn't even some slick passing move or great dribbling that caused Shaw's error. It really was such a rookie mistake.

Right at the beginning of the half, which basically started the beginning of the end.

Southgate reverted to a back 4 against Spain. Saka was England's most advanced forward, and 100% not playing as a right wing back.
Exactly that Walker was playing as a RB Saka was the only winger on the pitch for England Shaw was pushing up but there was no other outlet for width on the left.