Kobbie Mainoo England flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Absolutely. Yet when I watched Mainoo yesterday, I thought…”there is a mature, highly accomplished player”. For me he is the anti-Pogba. When pushed, he can produce some real magic with his dribbling and bursts forward, or the odd flick, but what he excels at so, so well, is doing the simple, small things to the highest standard. He very, very rarely gives it away and can receive the ball in the tightest of spaces, and sometimes not even a good ball, and kill it dead and play his way out of it. It helps us retain possession so much and keeps us fluid, that he becomes the fulcrum of the entire midfield. He’s also, nearly always in the right place, sweeping up second balls and available to receive it. He never over complicates when simplicity is called for, and that’s the bread and butter of a midfielder. He also won’t shy away from a progressive pass if it’s on.

I think he’s just going to get better and better as he ages. He has such quick feet and such a good footballing brain. He’s going right to the top. Ultimately I would love for him to get a steady, reliable midfield partner so that they can build that understanding. He and Eriksen dovetailed beautifully yesterday, and helped strangle Palace through their endless recycling of possession and clever passes through the lines, but long term you think Ugarte will be that guy. Ugarte never stops moving and I think that will work really well with Kobbie’s dynamic movement in midfield. I can see the two creating a really good link up with Zirkzee to create those triangles through the middle, with Bruno buzzing around here, there and everywhere. It also works well when Diallo comes infield and creates that opportunities for give and goes.

Every touch. Gave it away a lot. Decent game but absolutely nothing special. This is what I saw at the time too. He's a really good player but yesterday was not near his best. He'll learn a lot playing with Eriksen.

People on here going on like it was a masterclass that only real football fans could understand can have a look.

Last edited:

Every touch. Gave it away a lot. Decent game but absolutely nothing special. This is what I saw at the time too. He's a really good player but yesterday was not near his best. He'll learn a lot playing with Eriksen.

People on here going on like it was a masterclass that only real football fans could understand can have a look.

Again, there’s a lot to like about that performance. Especially some of the areas he received a difficult ball and made the most of it. I think there is far too much focus on individual performances to try and make misguided wide ranging points. There were people saying he was shit against Palace and that clearly wasn’t true and some perspective was needed to be put into the conversation. I think that was accomplished. His work off the ball was really good in the last game and a lot of that isn’t shown in these types of videos.

It was far from a flawless performance, but it was still a very good one. And there are clearly a lot of subtleties to his game that get lost on the YouTube generation. The lad is 19, just turned, and performing at a level way beyond his years. He’s got half a season of first team football under his belt, and is already - there or thereabouts - the first name on the team sheet. It’s some accomplishment. I just hope we, as fans, don’t over scrutinise every last detail and allow him the space to develop and grow, to make mistakes…..because he will learn from them. The worst thing we can do is put every little misstep under the microscope, which is what is already happening.

There are so many players, unfortunately usually young black ones, that get so much abuse on social media after a run of poor form, that they have to delete their accounts and probably need counselling. I’m just waiting for Kobbie to have a blip and for him to be subjected to the same nonsense. You can already see the tide turning after a slow start to the season, likely caused by being at the Euros. Fans are getting on his back already. And when you see that, you wonder if those people know not just anything about football, but anything about people in general.

Again, there’s a lot to like about that performance. Especially some of the areas he received a difficult ball and made the most of it. I think there is far too much focus on individual performances to try and make misguided wide ranging points. There were people saying he was shit against Palace and that clearly wasn’t true and some perspective was needed to be put into the conversation. I think that was accomplished. His work off the ball was really good in the last game and a lot of that isn’t shown in these types of videos.

It was far from a flawless performance, but it was still a very good one. And there are clearly a lot of subtleties to his game that get lost on the YouTube generation. The lad is 19, just turned, and performing at a level way beyond his years. He’s got half a season of first team football under his belt, and is already - there or thereabouts - the first name on the team sheet. It’s some accomplishment. I just hope we, as fans, don’t over scrutinise every last detail and allow him the space to develop and grow, to make mistakes…..because he will learn from them. The worst thing we can do is put every little misstep under the microscope, which is what is already happening.

There are so many players, unfortunately usually young black ones, that get so much abuse on social media after a run of poor form, that they have to delete their accounts and probably need counselling. I’m just waiting for Kobbie to have a blip and for him to be subjected to the same nonsense. You can already see the tide turning after a slow start to the season, likely caused by being at the Euros. Fans are getting on his back already. And when you see that, you wonder if those people know not just anything about football, but anything about people in general.
He had a decent game and is a very talented player but there's no problem with pointing out room for improvement.

I put the video up to prevent overpraise which can be just as damaging to a young player. Eriksen can teach him a lot and I thought he was outstanding on Saturday.

Best game of the season so far on Saturday for me. Linked very well with Eriksen, and generally class throughout.

I think there's too much pressure on him right now. He's 19 and expected essentially to run the midfield at the moment. I think we should start him a little less, bring him on as a sub a little more.

Form has definitely dipped this season so far.

There's basically nobody who can come in and cover for him. We need to give him a break even if it's detrimental to our play.

No reason why Ugarte and Eriksen couldn't start for a few games and give Mainoo a break.

How can anyone watch that match compilation and not think he was excellent? He gave the ball away about three times and in every other instance he made exactly the right choice. He’s a phenomenal player already when ON the ball, he’s lacking a bit in physicality but that may still improve to an extent, we just need to be really careful when choosing his next midfield partner, shame about Joao Neves, but there will be others like that.

You watched that video and your take away is 'Gave it away a lot'? Apart from the very first clip in the video, any other time he 'gave it away' he was tryng to do something progressive.

You watched that video and your take away is 'Gave it away a lot'? Apart from the very first clip in the video, any other time he 'gave it away' he was tryng to do something progressive.
I said a bit more than that. I said he had a decent game and that he's a very talented player. He did some very good things in that game. Lots of standard things and a few poor things.

I put the video up to show that it was in no way a masterclass or some excellent performance as some were claiming.

That would require lots of really good moments and standard stuff and little to no mistakes.

He had a decent game and is a very talented player but there's no problem with pointing out room for improvement.

I put the video up to prevent overpraise which can be just as damaging to a young player. Eriksen can teach him a lot and I thought he was outstanding on Saturday.
Please don’t think that my response was targeted at you. I think your post was very measured and fair. It was just a segue to a wider point about criticism of young players, one that I am not suggesting you are guilty of. Sorry if that was the implication, it wasn’t meant to be. I think you’ll probably recognise the type of posts I am talking about, on here and on social media, where people seize on individual performances to rip a player to shreds. That wasn’t what you did, and I wasn’t suggesting you had.

I think fair, reasoned analysis of strengths and weaknesses is always warranted, but it’s quite rare one gets “fair and reasoned”. It’s usually hyperbole after a great game and destruction after a poor one. Rarely do people apply context and rationality to analysis.

Please don’t think that my response was targeted at you. I think your post was very measured and fair. It was just a segue to a wider point about criticism of young players, one that I am not suggesting you are guilty of. Sorry if that was the implication, it wasn’t meant to be. I think you’ll probably recognise the type of posts I am talking about, on here and on social media, where people seize on individual performances to rip a player to shreds. That wasn’t what you did, and I wasn’t suggesting you had.

I think fair, reasoned analysis of strengths and weaknesses is always warranted, but it’s quite rare one gets “fair and reasoned”. It’s usually hyperbole after a great game and destruction after a poor one. Rarely do people apply context and rationality to analysis.
No, not at all. Your posts are very fair too. They're good reading.

Mainoo is, sorry to say, the biggest disappointment of our underwhelming season.

Which is testament to his ability. If he can turn it around, it would be like another signing because he has not been on it.

Could do without another youngster suffering 'second season syndrome'. Anyone remember Rashford in 16-17? Many blamed Jose for 'coaching it out of him' but years later and he isn't complete.

Still young. Still plenty to learn. Still plenty to offer. Let's hope he can crack on.

Kobbie Mainoo (Manchester United, 19)
vs Top 5 League U21 Midfielders

◎ Forward passes — 1st
◎ Defensive actions — 1st
◎ Interceptions — 1st
◎ Offensive duels — 2nd
◎ Fouls suffered — 2nd
◎ Tackles — 2nd
◎ Passes — 3rd
◎ Short passes — 3rd
◎ Dribbles — 5th
◎ Defensive duels — 5th

His doing just fine.

Mainoo is, sorry to say, the biggest disappointment of our underwhelming season.

Which is testament to his ability. If he can turn it around, it would be like another signing because he has not been on it.

Could do without another youngster suffering 'second season syndrome'. Anyone remember Rashford in 16-17? Many blamed Jose for 'coaching it out of him' but years later and he isn't complete.

Still young. Still plenty to learn. Still plenty to offer. Let's hope he can crack on.
:lol: wonder what some people are actually watching to be perfectly honest

The boy needs to be rotated ffs.
Need to be rested for the Europa game.

100%.

Last season at 18 years old he played 2389 minutes for us, even with his extended time off injured.

In comparison someone like Phil Foden didn't play that many minutes for City until he was 20. And even that season he didn't play as many minutes in the league as Mainoo did last season.

I also look at someone like Cole Palmer, who even at 22 years old has been left out of Chelsea's Conference League squad entirely for load management purposes.

There's a lot to be said for protecting young players in these ways rather than risk burning them out early. Mainoo should be rotated a lot this season, and the EL games are the best early time to do so.

100%.

Last season at 18 years old he played 2389 minutes for us, even with his extended time off injured.

In comparison someone like Phil Foden didn't play that many minutes for City until he was 20. And even that season he didn't play as many minutes in the league as Mainoo did last season.

I also look at someone like Cole Palmer, who even at 22 years old has been left out of Chelsea's Conference League squad entirely for load management purposes.

There's a lot to be said for protecting young players in these ways rather than risk burning them out early. Mainoo should be rotated a lot this season, and the EL games are the best early time to do so.

No point comparing with City players who tend not to be given rus in the team whilst young.
Did he play more than Bellingham at the same age? Yes he should be rotated and given rests just like any other first team player, but people need to get on board with the fact he is a first team regular

Kobbie Mainoo (Manchester United, 19)
vs Top 5 League U21 Midfielders

◎ Forward passes — 1st
◎ Defensive actions — 1st
◎ Interceptions — 1st
◎ Offensive duels — 2nd
◎ Fouls suffered — 2nd
◎ Tackles — 2nd
◎ Passes — 3rd
◎ Short passes — 3rd
◎ Dribbles — 5th
◎ Defensive duels — 5th

His doing just fine.

brilliant

I do think he needs to improve on his ability to make long passes/field switching passes/crossing.

Our team has been very underwhelming in those departments. In good old days squad players like Nevilles, Fletcher, Oshea, Silverstre and Brown were good crossers and it helped them contribute to many goals of ours despite not being the most talented ones. these skills are simple "practice makes perfect" ones.

No point comparing with City players who tend not to be given rus in the team whilst young.
Did he play more than Bellingham at the same age? Yes he should be rotated and given rests just like any other first team player, but people need to get on board with the fact he is a first team regular

I know that other young players were heavily played too. My point is that being able to treat players the way Foden and Palmer have been treated is a good thing and something to aim for.

Especially in the context of reports from The Athletic that one of the issues Wilcox pointed to in the summer was young players like Garnacho, Hojlund and Mainoo already being overplayed.

They shouldn't be treated "just like any other first team player", because they're not. They're kids you should be looking to rotate a lot more than older first team players.

I know that other young players were heavily played too. My point is that being able to treat players the way Foden and Palmer have been treated is a good thing and something to aim for.

Especially in the context of reports from The Athletic that one of the issues Wilcox pointed to in the summer was young players like Garnacho, Hojlund and Mainoo already being overplayed.

They shouldn't be treated "just like any other first team player", because they're not. They're kids you should be looking to rotate a lot more than older first team players.

Palmer didn't play... he left and went to Chelsea because he didn't play, and at Chelsea plays most games...
As our squad gets better we can obviously rotate more that seems to be the aim, to have 2 players for each position, but I don't think he played too much football last season as is being suggested.

The club should treat him like his generational talent deserves, and manage him excellently so he can contribute to the team for 10+ years. Leaving his playing time solely in the hands of EtH would be a bad move given his highly questionable game and player management thus far.

100%.

The difference in those 2 situations is that both teams have lots of options for those positions, we really don't.

The club should treat him like his generational talent deserves, and manage him excellently so he can contribute to the team for 10+ years. Leaving his playing time solely in the hands of EtH would be a bad move given his highly questionable game and player management thus far.
Manager who trusted and played him = bad

He's a starter and was rested for the carabao, not sure what more you would expect this season?

Last season he had a bad injury and then had to get up to fitness mid season. This season I think he’ll start most games.

Manager who trusted and played him = bad

He's a starter and was rested for the carabao, not sure what more you would expect this season?

Last season he had a bad injury and then had to get up to fitness mid season. This season I think he’ll start most games.

Rightly so, I don't really understand our fanbase, everyone has forgotten the likes of Rooney and Giggs already?

:lol: wonder what some people are actually watching to be perfectly honest
Watching the match, chief.

Not concentrating on misleading, context free statistics or banter.

Mainoo is not off to a great start this season. If you watched him this season, and are thinking he's up to scratch, expect pain.

Mainoo is not off to a great start this season. If you watched him this season, and are thinking he's up to scratch, expect pain.

I've watched the games and hes been fine, there is a reason we have been able to have more control in midfield in most games this season, and he has been a big reason.
His defensive performances have been very good.
The nit picking that goes on with our players is really silly, if you think his performances have been poor then I don't know what to say to you

He’s been fine when I’ve watched. Probably just you.

Man Utd 1:1 FC Twente New
Did the commentator tonight say this was his European debut? :confused:

I could have swore he played against Bayern last year.

Did the commentator tonight say this was his European debut? :confused:

I could have swore he played against Bayern last year.
The TNT commentator had a mare.

Mainoo played CL last season.
Maguire has scored in Europe before.
And Eriksen’s goal vs Twente was not his first of the season.

The TNT commentator had a mare.

Mainoo played CL last season.
Maguire has scored in Europe before.
And Eriksen’s goal vs Twente was not his first of the season.

I thought so.

Yeah that commentator is always talking out of his arse.