Kobbie Mainoo England flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
We treat him like he’s 29 and a seasoned veteran; he’s not going to get the chance to develop his game if we’re expecting him to play in the manner he is currently. He’s in a crucial development window. Can we please try and develop him and stop treating him like he’s the finished article?

His composure becomes complacency a bit too often with the ball. A player is running at a high intensity to challenge him from behind and he's still casually moving with the ball like he has time and space. Was also pushed off the ball a bit too easily.

Another decent job defensively as a ball winner, but some moments where he could have taken care of the ball a bit better when he had it

He'll benefit a lot from the introduction of Ugarte but he's been a little off it this season I think. To be expected with a player as young as he is, patience will be needed.

He's losing the ball a lot but it's his own doing. He's holding the ball too long, trying to dribble when the situation doesn't call for it.

He just needs to simplify his game and pass the ball earlier.

He’s playing progressively worse week on week. He was really poor in the first half when the game was in the mix, as he was against Liverpool. Alongside an immobile Eriksen he just didn’t offer enough either defensively or with the ball. As others have pointed out in this thread, managing young players involves more peaks and dips and a good manager understands when to take a player out for a period

I can’t account for the first 20 mins, but he was good second half and should have had an assist.

Agreed he should be rotated more.

He’s playing progressively worse week on week. He was really poor in the first half when the game was in the mix, as he was against Liverpool. Alongside an immobile Eriksen he just didn’t offer enough either defensively or with the ball. As others have pointed out in this thread, managing young players involves more peaks and dips and a good manager understands when to take a player out for a period
This is why we needed 3 midfielders this summer, but unfortunately we only landed 1.

Casemiro is past it. And Eriksen will have the odd decent performance against weak teams but his legs have gone too.

So we don't really have any credible alternatives to Mainoo.

He definitely needs to be rotated in and out the team more frequently this season. We relied on him too much and at his age, he shouldn’t have to play every game.

I think he’ll be rested against Barnsley. Casemiro will come in there to get some confidence and Ugarte will likely get some minutes too.

There were many times, just like Casemiro, where he receives the ball in high pressure areas with barely any options.

They do definitely end up in positions with few options (which might be intentional), however, I think Eriksen showed very good decision making yesterday. When it was tight he did first time layoffs and when he had space he took more touches. So far in the start of this season Kobbie has been pressed a bit more and is still trying to dribble out of danger. Whilst he does beat the press, he also is getting caught more on the ball like in yesterday's match. I think to take another step up he just needs to get better at that decision making and passing. He doesn't need to always dribble out of tight positions. Sometimes its better to layoff or just pass it back. It does give me flashbacks of Pogba receiving the ball surrounded by 3 players and trying to dribble his way out of trouble. If he can add a bit better decision making (tbf he's trending in the right direction) and a better passing range he will take a massive step up.

He needs to stop losing the ball in very dangerous situations. He puts our defence under unnecessary pressure.

Last edited:
He's losing the ball a lot but it's his own doing. He's holding the ball too long, trying to dribble when the situation doesn't call for it.

I noticed that as well and I think, there is a combination of him needing to reach the next level of his development (as you say, make it easier, more efficient) but also other teams being prepared to face him. Last year, he had a certain novelty around him but this year, opposition teams will predict that he is going to feature and they will have picked his weaknesses and trying to exploit them. I don't think, he is playing worse than last year, the environment has changed and as some others on here say, I think, we are very close of reaching a slightly orange status in terms of being a little too reliable on him.

There were many times, just like Casemiro, where he receives the ball in high pressure areas with barely any options.

Spot on. The opposition has worked out how he plays and because of his influence on a game, he is being marked much more physically than last year. That is because of his quality.

They are stopping him turning and moving forward. And he is being fouled more. This is something both he and the coaches are going to have to work on.

Spot on. The opposition has worked out how he plays and because of his influence on a game, he is being marked much more physically than last year. That is because of his quality.

They are stopping him turning and moving forward. And he is being fouled more. This is something both he and the coaches are going to have to work on.
The way to counter that is to give him options, he is great at evading the press. Still not happy with the gaps in midfield.

I've said it many times but he's an eight and should be playing ahead of Ugarte in order to get the best out of him.

The way to counter that is to give him options, he is great at evading the press. Still not happy with the gaps in midfield.

I've said it many times but he's an eight and should be playing ahead of Ugarte in order to get the best out of him.

Yes indeed. I am looking forward to seeing that happen.

We treat him like he’s 29 and a seasoned veteran; he’s not going to get the chance to develop his game if we’re expecting him to play in the manner he is currently. He’s in a crucial development window. Can we please try and develop him and stop treating him like he’s the finished article?
Are you kidding? This is the Redcafe :lol:

Obviously early days in his career but I’ve a feeling he’s a number 10 or at least closer to that long term. Good around the box, decent goalscorer, good dribbler and good eye for a pass but not necessarily a high volume passer. Get Ugarte partnered by a Scholes or Carrick type and move Mainoo closer to goal might be our best long term midfield option.

Obviously early days in his career but I’ve a feeling he’s a number 10 or at least closer to that long term. Good around the box, decent goalscorer, good dribbler and good eye for a pass but not necessarily a high volume passer. Get Ugarte partnered by a Scholes or Carrick type and move Mainoo closer to goal might be our best long term midfield option.

See what you mean, but think he would really come into his own in a proper three-man midfield as well. Anyway he’s good in a two for now, but needs a rest. I think we’re running him into the ground,

I think he looks a better player higher up the pitch with a bit more freedom.

He's being mismanaged playing as a 6 or in a double pivot midfield.

Have absolutely no idea how someone can look at his profile and determine him to be playing at the base of midfield in anything other than a three preferably with him as an 8.

He is all the way forward the more neutral replacement for Bruno, not necessarily by output alone but positionally they contrast one another.

He's being mismanaged playing as a 6 or in a double pivot midfield.

Have absolutely no idea how someone can look at his profile and determine him to be playing at the base of midfield in anything other than a three preferably with him as an 8.

He is all the way forward the more neutral replacement for Bruno, not necessarily by output alone but positionally they contrast one another.
He can actually do both. Also given the shape of the squad he is playing in the right position at the moment. I feel he will move to a more attacking position further in his development but this is doing him a world of good right now.

He clearly has the tools to operate both deep and further up. His ball winning has also improved massivley

You always have to remind yourself when talking about teenagers that they're about 5 years from their prime.

Game to game analysis, pointing out he needs to improve, is kind of a waste of time with that in mind. It's going to take years not weeks.

What can be knocked around in the meantime is how we use him, how much we burden him.

He definitely shouldn't start against Barnsley. Shouldn't even get a minute on the pitch.

He can actually do both. Also given the shape of the squad he is playing in the right position at the moment. I feel he will move to a more attacking position further in his development but this is doing him a world of good right now.

He clearly has the tools to operate both deep and further up. His ball winning has also improved massivley
I fully agree with the assessment he can play both. In fact he has played all midfield positions in both his United and England youth career so far. I too see the benefit of him getting experience in different positions if he has the skill set. It’s helped other players in the past.

Think some of the criticism is unfair. People need to balance expectations and judgments.

Slow start to the season from him but he still is one of our better technically competent players.

I think he looks a better player higher up the pitch with a bit more freedom.

I would really like to see him playing with Cas and Ugarte behind him. I know that will never happen because of Bruno and then the pressing machine when he's fit, but I think a midfield of Ugarte, Cas and Mainoo could be really good

Don't think he is creative enough to play further up the pitch. We'd struggle to create against compacter teams.

More would be expected of our wingers and full backs. Maybe with a fit and firing Rashford/Garnacho and Shaw pair on the left.

3 weeks rest from the Euro final to Community Shield is not enough for a young kid.

This, the lack of competitive standards in our central midfield is shocking. There should be games where he's only an option from the bench and games where he isn't even in the squad having being given a rest. This is a problem that has plagued much of Rashford's time as a first teamer, there is no reason he should be a nailed on starter every game at such a young age.

He's sublime in a tight space but gives the ball away when he's not pressured.

Think how gently Foden was eased into the City squad over what seems like years and we play Kobbie game in, game out.

We are going to wreck him.