View full 2023-24 profile

6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems to have a strong friendship with palmer, both being mancunians probably helps.

Indeed. Seemed a little tired and less effective in the second half but overall a good performance.
I was a bit worried Southgate would ruin him … or England would feck up and he’s get the blame.

But think he’ll have learned a lot from playing Intl football. Just hope he’s not too tired for early part of the season.

It's not very effective.

He's not latin.

Fair enough :lol:

He's also went looking for an angle to stop short of criticizing Rice because he's too close to him. Mainoo was an easy target for the rasist bastard.

Will be intresting to see what the SOB writes about Mainoo after this game then. Not anything good i bet!

It may work with other clubs but Real's lure won't move our players especially the British ones at that. We've only ''lost'' a player to them once and that was Ronaldo. Apart from that we've never lost a player to them we didn't want to let go.

Yeah i agree, Mainoo seems to love United. City tried super hard to get him when in the academy days but he snubbed them:devil:

I was a bit worried Southgate would ruin him … or England would feck up and he’s get the blame.

But think he’ll have learned a lot from playing Intl football. Just hope he’s not too tired for early part of the season.

Yeah. I prefer it this way too. And I think it was the right decision anyway. He looked a bit gassed.

He’s so young and got some ”rest” (mentally) last year with his injury. So he should recover nicely.

Looked good in the first half, but he is clearly more effective right now progressing the play running with the ball than passing through lines. Rice and Mainoo is bit too safe passing wise at the moment.

Legs started to fade in the second.

Looked good in the first half, but he is clearly more effective right now progressing the play running with the ball than passing through lines. Rice and Mainoo is bit too safe passing wise at the moment.

Said it before but fitness is the biggest thing holding him back at mo.

Not just in lasting through games but volume of work he can get through during a game, one of the reasons behind his relatively low involvement for a midfielder.

It seems like it but I really hope it's something that can be improved - I think it's easier to improve your engine or even how to manage your energy better than to acquire football intelligence and flair.

It seems like it but I really hope it's something that can be improved - I think it's easier to improve your engine or even how to manage your energy better than to acquire football intelligence and flair.
Defo. It's the better problem to have that's for sure

Wharton and Mainoo would have been far more complimentary in that setup. Rice in front of a back 5 is a bit pointless in this team.

It's natural, you get more stamina as you get older.

It's the easiest thing to improve.

Wharton and Mainoo would have been far more complimentary in that setup. Rice in front of a back 5 is a bit pointless in this team.

Maybe, but no manager is going to stick Wharton and Mainoo as the midfield in a knock out game, a pair of kids with a handful of caps between them. Should experiment with it in the build up to the next WC,

Mainoo does need to develop a more expansive passing range, that and a better engine and he is going to be hard to stop.

Struggled in the second half, it's fair to say. But a very tidy first one. His stock has gone up with this tournament.

Struggled in the second half, it's fair to say. But a very tidy first one. His stock has gone up with this tournament.

Yeah, second half drifted a bit, but he was very good in the first. Did play Walker into trouble once but generally looked sharp and had some good defensive effort too.

I do wonder how he'll cope against a more energetic and combative midfield like France, and games with quicker transitions.

The guy is a joy on the ball, so assured and actually does meaningful things with it.

My only concern is that I’d like him to make his mark on more games and move around more to make sure he does get on the ball.

I’m sure it’ll come with age.

Maybe, but no manager is going to stick Wharton and Mainoo as the midfield in a knock out game, a pair of kids with a handful of caps between them. Should experiment with it in the build up to the next WC,

Mainoo does need to develop a more expansive passing range, that and a better engine and he is going to be hard to stop.

I'm not saying it was even as a possibility with Southgate, just that those two fit together excellently especially if they have a back 5 behind them. Don't need Rice's ball winning as much.

And yeah I mean if Mainoo develops range and a better engine you're talking about the best midfielder in the world...

Should play the semi final. Glad he went off before he got booked as he would have been suspended.

He's a very good player. The experience will do him good. I have a feeling he might not start the next game. He does some really good stuff, but I don't think him and Rice works well enough and Rice isn't getting dropped.

He's a very good player. The experience will do him good. I have a feeling he might not start the next game. He does some really good stuff, but I don't think him and Rice works well enough and Rice isn't getting dropped.

Nobody has played better with Rice than Mainoo

Nobody has played better with Rice than Mainoo

I don't think we are the right people to ask for an impartial answer. Rice and mainoo started the last 2 games. We went behind in both, we equalized after Kobbie got subbed.

I think he's great, but I don't think it's a great partnership and I think a manager will have picked up on that. It's not a slight on Kobbie, he's a kid learning his craft. We all know that Rice isn't going to be the one rested. It's not a bad thing.

I don't think we are the right people to ask for an impartial answer. Rice and mainoo started the last 2 games. We went behind in both, we equalized after Kobbie got subbed.

I think he's great, but I don't think it's a great partnership and I think a manager will have picked up on that. It's not a slight on Kobbie, he's a kid learning his craft. We all know that Rice isn't going to be the one rested. It's not a bad thing.

Against Slovakia Guehi lost a header, then didnt track his man's run in behind him who scored.

The back 3 were to blame for conceeding against the Swiss. Ball through the defenders legs getting the cross in too easily, Stones made contact but didnt deal with it and Walker let his man goalside to turn it in.

What does it have to do with Mainoo and Rice? Really, really weird suggestion

Mainoo is clearly the best option England have to start the next game.
If they start Trent or Gallagher in midfield again , then England deserve to go out.

You can't blame Mainoo for any of that. When Conor Gallacher came on, he had a bright 5 minutes and then almost gave away 2-3 clear cut chances to the Swiss and was generally a disaster in extra time. Scored his penalty which is obvs a huge plus in tournament football, so it's harsh to be overly critical.

If you think Southgate picks up -anything- you're bashing your head against a brick wall. Kane and Foden have been absolutely awful all tournament but you already know they're going to start based on reputation alone next game. Not that there's necessarily better options or anything, but Mainoo was easily England's best player in that first half, doing the dirty work and getting forward well. Not that I want him to play another minute, it kind of sucks that at 19 he's under the microscope to the degree he is, but what a talent.

If they start Trent or Gallagher in midfield again , then England deserve to go out.

It is true, I think he's done well whilst also showing a little bit of his lack of experience. He is still the best option next to Rice. I like a lot of what I've seen of Wharton but you don't chuck him in for a Semi final against the Netherlands.

When Conor Gallacher came on, he had a bright 5 minutes and then almost gave away 2-3 clear cut chances to the Swiss and was generally a disaster in extra time. Scored his penalty which is obvs a huge plus in tournament football, so it's harsh to be overly critical.
One of us is very confused about that Switzerland game.

I'd try Wharton first. I'd have tried him much earlier to be honest.

Kobbie needs to be higher and he needs to get on the ball more.

Mainoo is class but he isn't and won't be the different for England playing well or playing poorly, or if they have balance or no balance. Their problems, whatever the lineup has been in this tournament, have been:
  • The left wing - Foden doesn't fit in. Bellingham, Foden and Kane take up the same positions, but Bellingham is the most impactful guy and Kane while he looks pretty washed, is still worth starting for his goal record. Foden has to be dropped for someone who can make runs in behind and is a bit more direct, happy to play off the ball... Gordon is the only one who fits that.
  • Left back - Trippier is past it, had a horrible season, and has had a bad Euro's. Yet keeps getting picked because Southgate the idiot neglected to bring a fit left back. If Shaw is fit enough to play then he's an obvious game changer, but why not just bring Mitchell?
Those are the only 2 changes that would have a real impact for Southgate's England

Status
Not open for further replies.