Keir Starmer Labour Leader

Okay, so using the pandemic as an excuse for reneging on the promises was something I expected to be honest.

What's more concerning to me is that he is saying money is an issue so Labour are only going to nationalise the railways.

What?

The railways are not used by everyone. If you make them cheaper it will benefit the middle classes.

If you nationalise water and utilities it will benefit everyone.

It is stuff like this that makes me think they have no idea what to do and no plan to do it.

Okay, so using the pandemic as an excuse for reneging on the promises was something I expected to be honest.

What's more concerning to me is that he is saying money is an issue so Labour are only going to nationalise the railways.

What?

The railways are not used by everyone. If you make them cheaper it will benefit the middle classes.

It is stuff like this that makes me think they have no idea what to do and no plan to do it.
I think it was always going to be untenable to both have a policy of wholesale renationalsation and a claim to be fiscally responsible. During the 2019 compaign, I seem to recall estimates that it would cost upwards of £200bn to buy out the energy companies.

I saw the interview, and I think he was saying basically that only those rail companies already owned by the public would be nationalised.

The panic that people attach to Labour not being note perfect and not having a fully costed manifesto that’s revised weekly is bizarre.

Starmer will beat Truss in an election. When he is elected, we drag him left and force him to do things that we want.

If everyone on the left mobilises and unifies, Labour will be in power for a decade.

If Starmer comes out now and speaks about nationalising everything by borrowing more than the Tories propose to, Labour will be out of power for another 5-6 years. Yes we want it. He does too. But it would be suicide to try and please me right now.

25% of this country is lost. Racist UKIP forever Tories. Unwinnable votes. Another big double digit percentage will just vote for whoever their newspaper tells them to.

The kicker?… if people on the left start amplifying those newspapers, that percentage just gets bigger. Stop doing their goddamn job.

Starmer is imperfect but he will win the next election with a higher vote share than Corbyn (a man that I adored). The system is broken and rigged. Starmer has forensically torched a man with an 80 seat majority government handing out free money to people. We will NEVER get a Corbyn elected from opposition, we will only get one after half a decade of strong Labour government. Perhaps not even until FPTP is scrapped.

Muting this thread as I’m sick of screaming and pissing into the wind. Appreciate that nobody cares xxxx

What?

The question is not whether nationalising water and the utilities is desirable, the question is whether the money it would cost could be better spent elsewhere. And if regulation can achieve similar results for the customers, an if of course, then it likely could.

Which doesn't mean we should forget how Thatcher sold them in the first place, and instead of investing the cash for the national benefit she spunked it on tax cuts and unemployment.

What?

Its exactly this that will get him elected, its first time I've heard Starmer talk like he knows what planet he's living on and which country he has to win over in an election... you know he just might have chance. Just start talking about Scotland now Keir and what Labour have to do North of the border and the wind will move behind you!

I think it was always going to be untenable to both have a policy of wholesale renationalsation and a claim to be fiscally responsible. During the 2019 compaign, I seem to recall estimates that it would cost upwards of £200bn to buy out the energy companies.
i cant even imagine how complex a deal it would be to nationalise a company like EDF

Not only is it owned by the french government for start
but it has many divisions - not only the division that puts electricity through the wires to your house but also a nuclear division a renewables division that sit within edfs global operations as well.

Im pretty sure EDF's corporate finance and lawyers would run rings around the civil service if there was a forced deal and the tax payer would be holding the shitty part of the stick

Incredibly cool that over the last 2 years we’ve had the state pay everyone’s wage, subsidise every business in the land and even suspended competition law, yet we still have to act like the economy is a household.

Incredibly cool that over the last 2 years we’ve had the state pay everyone’s wage, subsidise every business in the land and even suspended competition law, yet we still have to act like the economy is a household.
luckily there is a magic money tree in the garden though?

_118165851_optimised-borrowing-chart-nc.png

Interest on debt repayments hit what £19bn last month... thats £228BN a year and there is 31 Milion tax payers so thats just under £7.5K per tax payer... just to pay the interest on the debt.

the median salary is £25,000 therefore the median income tax and national insurance is just under £4.5K

so basically most people dont even pay enough tax to cover the interest on debt ... but sure lets spend more right

Starmer will beat Truss in an election. When he is elected, we drag him left and force him to do things that we want.
there's no evidence that starmer can be dragged left. if he's not campaigning on leftwing economic material then you have to assume he's not interested in it. it's like when people thought trump would pivot from the right despite there being no evidence for that either.

Interest on debt repayments hit what £19bn last month... thats £228BN a year and there is 31 Milion tax payers so thats just under £7.5K per tax payer... just to pay the interest on the debt.

the median salary is £25,000 therefore the median income tax and national insurance is just under £4.5K

so basically most people dont even pay enough tax to cover the interest on debt ... but sure lets spend more right

Now add the 40 billion pound Truss tax cut to the deficit and I wonder where interest rates will be by the next election.

Debt repayments are forecast to be 83 billion this year according to the OBR. A hefty sum to be sure. Also, The FT reports that the OBR predicted debt repayments to reach 19.7bn in June before falling to 3.5bn this month, so I guess debt repayments fluctuate wildly from month to month depending on when payments are due.

The panic that people attach to Labour not being note perfect and not having a fully costed manifesto that’s revised weekly is bizarre.

If everyone on the left mobilises and unifies, Labour will be in power for a decade.

If Starmer comes out now and speaks about nationalising everything by borrowing more than the Tories propose to, Labour will be out of power for another 5-6 years. Yes we want it. He does too. But it would be suicide to try and please me right now.

25% of this country is lost. Racist UKIP forever Tories. Unwinnable votes. Another big double digit percentage will just vote for whoever their newspaper tells them to.

The kicker?… if people on the left start amplifying those newspapers, that percentage just gets bigger. Stop doing their goddamn job.

Starmer is imperfect but he will win the next election with a higher vote share than Corbyn (a man that I adored). The system is broken and rigged. Starmer has forensically torched a man with an 80 seat majority government handing out free money to people. We will NEVER get a Corbyn elected from opposition, we will only get one after half a decade of strong Labour government. Perhaps not even until FPTP is scrapped.

Muting this thread as I’m sick of screaming and pissing into the wind. Appreciate that nobody cares xxxx
This.

It's fascinating how selective you are with your responses.

The Forde report showed evidence of those centre-right in the Party actively engaging in activities to destablise and take money away from those on the left. As well as engaging in a hierarchy of racism.

Why should anyone on the left, or any POC now be the ones to unite the Party and believe that things will shift to the Left, when there's documented evidence of the exact opposite?

Short term agreed it's ludicrous to spend more, but current debt is meaningless after a few years due to inflation / currency valuation (but the debt remaining stuck in the "old" value as of the time of the debt). We (and other countries) never payoff debt really, but £228bn in 30 years is not a problem. As long as repayments can be made to keep it relatively in-line with the current value of the currency, the lenders don't worry too much.

Its exactly this that will get him elected, its first time I've heard Starmer talk like he knows what planet he's living on and which country he has to win over in an election... you know he just might have chance. Just start talking about Scotland now Keir and what Labour have to do North of the border and the wind will move behind you!
It’s really simple, he is going to fix it.

I'll respond to all these at once, even though UnrelatedPseudo is now ignoring the thread so won't see it.

I don't think I am being unreasonable. No political party launches a fully costed manifesto this far out from an election. Cameron didn't do it in 2008, for example. In fact, he supported increasing public spending until the financial crash when he felt he had the cover to blame Labour and campaign for austerity.

Connected to this, and speaking personally, I always assumed Stamer would move away from the 10 pledges and Corbynite policies and move Labour to the centre. I know there are those here who have heavily criticised him for doing so, and I respect that position. I just always assumed that the tack to the centre ground would happen and so the pledges Starmer got elected on are not the main issue for me. Again, many will disagree, and I respect that. Each of us will vote in the next election based on our own reasons and whether we feel a party deserves our support.

I help run a CLP, and I Have a Labour MP, so I regularly hear gossip and second-hand stories and all sorts of inside baseball information. I take it with a massive pinch of salt. But what is concerning me more and more and more is not the lack of announced policies or announced detail, but what is a massive lack of planning.

This autumn's conference will apparently approve policies, which is again fine, but economists like Richard Murphy and Danny Blanchflower have come out and said that they are unable of any economists advising Labour at the moment. When they complain about a lack of work going in to realising a vision of a fairer Britain, then I worry. There are working groups set up by the NEC, but again silence from them as to their work and outputs. Corbyn and McDonnell set up the Economic Advisory Committee in 2015 (which I feel was underused but that's another story), but there has been no equivalent from Starmer. There are tonnes of centre-left academics and think tanks who would jump at the chance to advise a Labour PM, I am aware of very few being commissioned or publishing reports that influence thinking.

We have had 12 years and more of low cost borrowing opportunities sqaundered by the Tories as they pile on £1.5 TRILLION of public debt and push millions into poverty as the infrastructure of the country falls apart and people have experienced a decade of stagnant wages whilst millions of young people cannot buy a property, spending a fortune in rent making a minority of the population richer and richer.

As I was corrected earlier in the thread, the option to borrow and invest relatively cheaply like Corbyn did probably has gone.

The country needs huge investment, we have a huge Tory debt, and the economic system is broken. Perhaps there has no been a challenge to a prospective Labour Government like this since Attlee in 1945. He re-made the country in large part thanks to years of policy work started during World War Two.

Where is the equivalent? I don't think that is an unreasonable question, even if it may appear rhetorical.

The lack of any kind of detail behind Labour's messaging is truly spectacular at this point. Starmer has been leader for over two years and the only Labour policy I could name off the top of my head is renationalising rail, which was already Labour policy when he was elected.

In a sense it's not really a surprise, because Labours centrists are stuck in a situation where many of the problems the country is facing stem from practices they are ideologically in favour of. Starmer's Labour sees things like the provision of electricity, gas, water, housing etc. as the sole domain of the private sector and is married to the fantasy that market forces will impel companies to provide good service/products at affordable prices to stay competitive. When that doesn't happen, as it hasn't with any of those examples, centrist Labour has no answers.

The key difference between the Tories and Labour on those issues at the moment is that the Tories are thrilled at the opportunity to use government support schemes to funnel public money into their investment portfolios whilst Labour are scratching their heads wondering why the lovely free market isn't doing what it's mean to (but consoling themselves that at least their investments are looking healthy at the moment).

The £200b estimate to nationalise our public services was an attack line which came from the CBI... and let's not pretend they don't have a dog in that fight. It was also based on the Government paying a 30% mark up on the current share price. None of which the Government would have to do.

The Director of the Public Services International Research Unit at Greenwich University did a big paper on this and they estimate the cost to be around £50b. They also estimate it would pay for itself in 7 years and would save the country a lot of money in the long term.

He can claim to be pragmatic all he likes... but he isn't. He's simply twerking for the private sector and letting them know he won't rock the boat.

The lack of any kind of detail behind Labour's messaging is truly spectacular at this point.
Don't interrupt your opponent when they are making a mistake

Put out a high level policy and you will be slammed for no detail

Put out a detailed policy and be slammed for the what ifs and loopholes

The conservatives don't have to call an election till Jan 2025 and almost certainly won't call one till mid 2024 so I wouldn't expect much policy being announced before late 2023... with the exception of pr if that makes to past conference this / next year (though i suspect it wont)

This is going to sound really thick so I'm ready to take the hit, but I've never understood the idea of just who the government borrows money from? Could someone explain it to me in layman's terms?

Don't interrupt your opponent when they are making a mistake

Put out a high level policy and you will be slammed for no detail

Put out a detailed policy and be slammed for the what ifs and loopholes

The conservatives don't have to call an election till Jan 2025 and almost certainly won't call one till mid 2024 so I wouldn't expect much policy being announced before late 2023... with the exception of pr if that makes to past conference this / next year (though i suspect it wont)

At the 1994 conference Blair had been leader about 3 months. In his speech he revealed the the 'New Labour' branding, outlined New Labour's ideological approach (specifically denouncing both free market economics and complete state control of the economy) and advocated for an array of policies, including devolution for Scotland and Wales, the minimum wage, retaining public ownership of the NHS, Post Office/Royal Mail and the railways, the Freedom of Information Act and a variety of others.

Whatever you think of the positions/policies outlined in the speech, or Labour's record delivering on their promises in government, you have to say it's a pretty clear vision and most of what was mentioned ended up being part of the Labour manifesto for the 1997 election. The authors clearly knew what they didn't like about how the Tories were doing things and weren't shy about going into the specifics of why the current government was bad and what Labour would do differently.

That speech was made 2 years and 8 months out from the 1997 general election. We're currently 2 years and 6 months out from a potential election in January 2025.

No political party launches a fully costed manifesto this far out from an election

You are right, but its a case of being first in marking out the ground on which the next election will be fought and coming up with just one or two sound and costed policies/ideas to ease people into your perspective, that's what Starmer has to do (IMO). Labour shouldn't be too sure the Tories will 'go long' with the election date, at the moment you would have to ask yourself what sane party would be wanting to be responsible for governing this country in the next two years. Almost everywhere you look its bad news!

I would recommend an emergency 'War on Want' kind of all embracing/interlinking 6 pack policy, e.g. containing (for example) elements that deal with:-

1) A commitment to ensuring the insulating of all homes in the country in the next five years, borrowing if necessary to pay for it
2) Introduce an emergency 'compact' or agreement with major energy providers in keeping energy costs down, with penalties (financial) for those who don't join, or who mess up)
3) Require all LA's to establish government funded food banks in their areas, with 'rationing type systems' applying to different levels of defined family needs and backed up by local food retailers.
4) Establish an emergency 0%-15%VAT level for specific areas of need in goods and/or services.
5)A national scheme to utilise 'Nightingale hospitals, to help bring down NHS waiting lists, requiring private providers to contribute 'in-kind' with staff or funding.
6) A total rethink on immigration, with defined standards/systems which control illegal immigration, but speeds up/eases up bureaucracy, and ensures all parts of the country contribute to supporting legal immigrants.

You could argue about the choice of the 6 steps, but these are all emergency actions required now. Labour needs to pressurise the Tories on these (or similar matters) and demand they call an election if they wont agree to the emergency remit.

Oh and don't forget Scotland, motivate all those who want to stay in the Union by stealing the Conservative and Unionist thunder north of the border.

The £200b estimate to nationalise our public services was an attack line which came from the CBI... and let's not pretend they don't have a dog in that fight. It was also based on the Government paying a 30% mark up on the current share price. None of which the Government would have to do.

The Director of the Public Services International Research Unit at Greenwich University did a big paper on this and they estimate the cost to be around £50b. They also estimate it would pay for itself in 7 years and would save the country a lot of money in the long term.

He can claim to be pragmatic all he likes... but he isn't. He's simply twerking for the private sector and letting them know he won't rock the boat.
just think that track n trace cost about the same amount. that ppe materials and contracts inflate that figure to almost double. and it was one big massive scam to take money from the public and transfer it to the private sector. now they want to say because of that it's not possible to do things that will benefit the public? before the pandemic it was austerity. there's always a ready excuse to avoid doing things that will actually benefit most people. no one's calling for a marxist england but nationalising rail and energy is a practical move. if he's not interested in doing that then he's wasting his time and ours too.

You are right, but its a case of being first in marking out the ground on which the next election will be fought and coming up with just one or two sound and costed policies/ideas to ease people into your perspective, that's what Starmer has to do (IMO). Labour shouldn't be too sure the Tories will 'go long' with the election date, at the moment you would have to ask yourself what sane party would be wanting to be responsible for governing this country in the next two years. Almost everywhere you look its bad news!

I would recommend an emergency 'War on Want' kind of all embracing/interlinking 6 pack policy, e.g. containing (for example) elements that deal with:-

1) A commitment to ensuring the insulating of all homes in the country in the next five years, borrowing if necessary to pay for it
2) Introduce an emergency 'compact' or agreement with major energy providers in keeping energy costs down, with penalties (financial) for those who don't join, or who mess up)
3) Require all LA's to establish government funded food banks in their areas, with 'rationing type systems' applying to different levels of defined family needs and backed up by local food retailers.
4) Establish an emergency 0%-15%VAT level for specific areas of need in goods and/or services.
5)A national scheme to utilise 'Nightingale hospitals, to help bring down NHS waiting lists, requiring private providers to contribute 'in-kind' with staff or funding.
6) A total rethink on immigration, with defined standards/systems which control illegal immigration, but speeds up/eases up bureaucracy, and ensures all parts of the country contribute to supporting legal immigrants.

You could argue about the choice of the 6 steps, but these are all emergency actions required now. Labour needs to pressurise the Tories on these (or similar matters) and demand they call an election if they wont agree to the emergency remit.

Oh and don't forget Scotland, motivate all those who want to stay in the Union by stealing the Conservative and Unionist thunder north of the border.

1: sounds simple nigh on impossible to do. What level of insulation for instance are we talking about? Cavity wall/Lofts? Double/triple glazed windows? And who would do this work in 5 years!? What army of experienced well trained insulation specialists/window fitters are we sending round the country to every building to improve insulation?

2: The price of energy is based on the global energy market, individual companies don't set it, its based on supply a d demand. The energy price cap was bought in to stop energy companies taking the mick with there pricing and is set to current market values. You cant forcibly keep the costs down if the market price rises, somebody somewhere has to pay for it eventually.

3: Thats got car crash written all over, rationing based on a means test, run by local authorities? Please tell me you don't actually belive that is a good idea?

4: why? For what purpose?

5: can't staff them, not really suitable for use and I think all the buildings have now been returned to former use e.g. the gmex is now a conference/events venue again. Also the NHS are already sending some routine operations out into the private sector to aid with waiting lists and costs.

6: yes definitely, but the idea that you can somehow control illegal immigration is pretty laughable, whatever you do people will still come.

£50bn would be an absolute bargain. How did they come to that figure? Presumably gov't would have to pay a premium over market cap.

Edit: I found article on the research paper. Seems the basis of the £50bn is not to pay shareholders current market value, but the price the gov't sold them off originally. I imagine there would be an almighty fight.

Last edited:
£50bn would be an absolute bargain. How did they come to that figure? Presumably gov't would have to pay a premium over market cap.

Edit: I found article on the research paper. Seems the basis of the £50bn is not to pay shareholders current market value, but the price the gov't sold them off originally. I imagine there would be an almighty fight.

They do talk about this in the paper. After analysing the ownership of the companies, their argument is basically that only around 20% of the investors in these companies would be able to pursue legal action in practice… and that the costs of doing so are prohibitive with any outcome likely to take many years. Their conclusion is that basically it wouldn’t have a big impact on the compensation amounts they would pay out for those reasons.

Now you can obviously argue that doing that would put off foreign investment but given that we are talking about very specific sectors that are well suited to public ownership… I suspect it’s more scaremongering than anything.

They do talk about this in the paper. After analysing the ownership of the companies, their argument is basically that only around 20% of the investors in these companies would be able to pursue legal action in practice… and that the costs of doing so are prohibitive with any outcome likely to take many years. Their conclusion is that basically it wouldn’t have a big impact on the compensation amounts they would pay out for those reasons.

Now you can obviously argue that doing that would put off foreign investment but given that we are talking about very specific sectors that are well suited to public ownership… I suspect it’s more scaremongering than anything.
If international investors were paid less than the market rate the US would impose sanctions on the UK for sure, and lean on their allies to do the same, and it might not take much leaning either.

If we were to borrow £50b for the energy sector, or whatever it might actually be, that money would be better spent on renewable and insulation investment, not paying off private investors. That money's gone, Thatcher blew it.

After analysing the ownership of the companies, their argument is basically that only around 20% of the investors in these companies would be able to pursue legal action in practice… and that the costs of doing so are prohibitive with any outcome likely to take many years.
I'd say to assume the cost of litigation would be prohibitive is rather optimistic. The owners are some of the richest investors including Warren Buffet.

Perhaps you could regulate the market enough to force them to sell? Or out-compete them with publicly owned utltility companies?

At the 1994 conference Blair had been leader about 3 months. In his speech he revealed the the 'New Labour' branding, outlined New Labour's ideological approach (specifically denouncing both free market economics and complete state control of the economy) and advocated for an array of policies, including devolution for Scotland and Wales, the minimum wage, retaining public ownership of the NHS, Post Office/Royal Mail and the railways, the Freedom of Information Act and a variety of others.

Whatever you think of the positions/policies outlined in the speech, or Labour's record delivering on their promises in government, you have to say it's a pretty clear vision and most of what was mentioned ended up being part of the Labour manifesto for the 1997 election. The authors clearly knew what they didn't like about how the Tories were doing things and weren't shy about going into the specifics of why the current government was bad and what Labour would do differently.

That speech was made 2 years and 8 months out from the 1997 general election. We're currently 2 years and 6 months out from a potential election in January 2025.

What I wouldn't give for Labour to come out with some concrete and coherent policies like the ones you list here. And there's absolutely no reason they shouldn't be shouting them from the rafters now. It's just they don't have any.
If Starmer doesn't win the next GE - and right now that's a distinct possibility - he'll be remembered as the Labour leader who couldn't beat possibly the worst Government ever.

1: sounds simple nigh on impossible to do. What level of insulation for instance are we talking about? Cavity wall/Lofts? Double/triple glazed windows? And who would do this work in 5 years!? What army of experienced well trained insulation specialists/window fitters are we sending round the country to every building to improve insulation?

2: The price of energy is based on the global energy market, individual companies don't set it, its based on supply a d demand. The energy price cap was bought in to stop energy companies taking the mick with there pricing and is set to current market values. You cant forcibly keep the costs down if the market price rises, somebody somewhere has to pay for it eventually.

3: Thats got car crash written all over, rationing based on a means test, run by local authorities? Please tell me you don't actually belive that is a good idea?

4: why? For what purpose?

5: can't staff them, not really suitable for use and I think all the buildings have now been returned to former use e.g. the gmex is now a conference/events venue again. Also the NHS are already sending some routine operations out into the private sector to aid with waiting lists and costs.

6: yes definitely, but the idea that you can somehow control illegal immigration is pretty laughable, whatever you do people will still come.
What would be your 6 examples for Starmer to hit the ground running?

Starmer sacks junior shadow transport minister for attending a rail strike. Party line is that he was sacked for "unauthorised media appearances"

The excuse they're pitching to their servile media outlets is that he went against party policy on national media.

Rachel Reeves' P45 is presumably in the post following her rail nationalisation comments from the other morning.

Oh and Starmer's own resignation.

Last edited:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-62325842

We're fecked aren't we. Who the feck does Keir Starmer thinks he is? Nevermind a Tory leadership contest, I think Labour need a vote of no confidence on their leader.

This countries going to the dogs. Literally no faith in having a competent left wing government this century.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-62325842

We're fecked aren't we. Who the feck does Keir Starmer thinks he is? Nevermind a Tory leadership contest, I think Labour need a vote of no confidence on their leader.

This countries going to the dogs. Literally no faith in having a competent left wing government this century.

Starmer sacks junior shadow transport minister for attending a rail strike. Party line is that he was sacked for "unauthorised media appearances"

Angela Rayner is not going to be happy. At least I hope she kicks up a fuss at the next Shadow Cabinet.

Although he may not be able to stand at the next GE as he is facing re-selection:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/pol...llot-ilford-south-angela-rayner-b1011041.html

The excuse they're pitching to their servile media outlets is that he went against party policy on national media.

Rachel Reeves' P45 is presumably in the post following her rail nationalisation comments from the other morning.

Oh and Starmer's own resignation.

Such a poor leader. For me, he is unelectable.

Sunak and the Tories would wipe the floor with him. Truss can't even wipe herself.