Karim Benzema

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mainoldo

Silly risks like playing at a bigger club against better players in a stronger league to help make himself a better player, so he's of more use to his country when it comes to say a World Cup tournament?
I never quite understand why this would not be seen as benefical. Having the same average season he had for lyon with us next season or anyother big team will be much more higly regarded than having the same average season with Lyon again. International selection has always mainly been on what shirt you put on anyway... look at Saha.

B Cantona

Desperate
He's young and he's got time, he's struggled a bit this season so if he wanna take an extra year in order to improve at his local level it's a good decision for him.Moreover he's not even a regular starter for France yet so he's playing it safe, makes sense
Maybe

Think it shows a lack of ambition at some point though

I've always thought Rooney did the right thing moving relatively early from Everton to United. If you're that good, you'll get in the side you move to regularly anyway, especially when they've spent the amount of money it'll take to get you to them

Maybe such a move would get him a regular staters spot in time for the World Cup. Just a thought

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I never quite understand why this would not be seen as benefical. Having the same average season he had for lyon with us next season or anyother big team will be much more higly regarded than having the same average season with Lyon again. International selection has always mainly been on what shirt you put on anyway... look at Saha.
The thing is, he has more chances of having a better season for Lyon than at United/Barca/Madrid/Inter for now.He needs a good season in order to have a chance to be in the squad for the WC (in France even qualifies that is)

Maybe

Think it shows a lack of ambition at some point though

I've always thought Rooney did the right thing moving relatively early from Everton to United. If you're that good, you'll get in the side you move to regularly anyway, especially when they've spent the amount of money it'll take to get you to them

Maybe such a move would get him a regular staters spot in time for the World Cup. Just a thought
It was easier for Rooney to move because among other things he's english and has experienced playing in a top league.Not the same situation even if he was very young at that time, I do agree that it is a lack of ambition but it's just one season and he's really young

jb8521

He's young and he's got time, he's struggled a bit this season so if he wanna take an extra year in order to improve at his local level it's a good decision for him.Moreover he's not even a regular starter for France yet so he's playing it safe, makes sense
I wouldnt really call 23 goals struggling. He wasnt quite as good as last year but Lyon were very poor this season compared to last and he was often very isolated up front.

jb8521

Lyon are supposedly close to signing Lisandro Lopez for 20million

B Cantona

Desperate
It was easier for Rooney to move because among other things he's english and has experienced playing in a top league.Not the same situation even if he was very young at that time, I do agree that it is a lack of ambition but it's just one season and he's really young
Ay I appreciate it's an easier move, not having to change countries for a start

But you don't get that experience in a top league until you do move

I could understand saying it the last two seasons, and it showed some commendable loyalty. But to not move again this summer, especially when Lyon look like they've left behind their dominant phase and are starting to go backwards rather than forwards... mistake for me

Anduin

Even himself says he has struggled this season, despite the goals he hasn't played well in general
He would play loads of football at Old Trafford. Imagine Fergie deciding we won't sign Tevez (or he is off on his own account) and we'll bring in Karim as replacement. Tevez played 51 games last season. 51! Now Carlos obviously got much playing times in the Cups, but nevertheless he played an enormous amount of football and Benzema would be guaranteed to do the same as well. I can't possibly see how a move to United would damage his chances to play for France in the World Cup next year.
40-50 games for United >>>>>>>> any amount of games for Lyon.
And that's not even taking the training into account... he could learn another year from the likes of Scholes, Giggsy and develop further and - most importantly - faster. What is still to learn in Ligue 1? He has nothing to prove.
Been the league's topscorer: Done.
Ligue 1 Champions: Done three times.
Been the most important player of his team: Done.

I may sound like a transfer muppet, but yes, I'm desperate to get him. He would be perfect for us and I'm convinced Fergie eyes the situation very closely.

kouroux

Lyon are supposedly close to signing Lisandro Lopez for 20million
They are indeed.Great signing for them
Ay I appreciate it's an easier move, not having to change countries for a start

But you don't get that experience in a top league until you do move

I could understand saying it the last two seasons, and it showed some commendable loyalty. But to not move again this summer, especially when Lyon look like they've left behind their dominant phase and are starting to go backwards rather than forwards... mistake for me
About time their domination decreased but next season will be really interesting as for me they'll be the favorites to win the french league once more.They're strenghtening their team

I have to agree on making efforts to sign him. It all depends on Tevez as you know very well. Until that is sorted then we wont know whether to make a move or not.

Karim Benzema is the type of striker we may need up front. He's young, talented and has much potential. Playing in our team and under our guidance he can become world class. Its much better to invest in him rather than spend money on an older striker. Hopefully Lyon wont be asking for crazy money otherwise this one aint gonna happen.

B Cantona

Desperate
I'm not as keen, in that he is still unproven in England, and the amount of money to get him will be astronomical knowing Lyon. Whatever Fergie does and who he brings in, I just hope we can do it without being taken for a ride. Silly season for club chairmen at the moment

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I'm not as keen, in that he is still unproven in England, and the amount of money to get him will be astronomical knowing Lyon. Whatever Fergie does and who he brings in, I just hope we can do it without being taken for a ride. Silly season for club chairmen at the moment
You won't find many young talents with such potential who are also proven in England. Mind you 45m for the player is madness. Stating that its better to get someone as young as him at that price then lets say Villa.

dev1l

Lyon chief fears cash 'tsunami' will sweep Karim Benzema to Manchester United
Lyon chairman Jean-Michel Aulas admits it will be difficult to hold on to Manchester United target Karim Benzema.

After years of insisting the 21-year-old is not for sale, Aulas now appears to be preparing for life without the France international by lining up bids for Porto's Lisandro Lopez and Real Madrid trio Klaas-Jan Huntelaar, Arjen Robben and Royston Drenthe.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...Karim-Benzema-Manchester-United.html?ITO=1490

It looks like Lyon want to sell...

Makki

QUITTER
freguson y u rest the ginger prawn hes most import
So was Essien, and look how that turned out.. Don't think there's anyone who'd back away from him if we were given the chance to go back in time and spend £30m on him.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
If Lyon want Huntelaar, Robben and Drenthe the writing's pretty much on the wall.

anything about now

MUFC lad living in a matriel world
I've changed my stance slightly regarding him... he is probably one of the handful of players that could bring that X factor that Ronaldo had. The only question is the price, but bar Hargreaves (who, without injury problems, is still a quality player), Fergie has usually gotten them right with his big signings. The only question is, do we leave Berbatov on the bench or put Rooney on the left?

...............Benzema...............
Rooney.....Berbatov......Valencia/Park

I was looking forward to seeing Berbatov playing in front of Rooney next season, but if Benzema comes then no doubt he would be our first choice #9.

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!
If he does come on the market at a decent price I would love for United to sign him, but Spain still remains his more likely destination imo.

kouroux

He would play loads of football at Old Trafford. Imagine Fergie deciding we won't sign Tevez (or he is off on his own account) and we'll bring in Karim as replacement. Tevez played 51 games last season. 51! Now Carlos obviously got much playing times in the Cups, but nevertheless he played an enormous amount of football and Benzema would be guaranteed to do the same as well. I can't possibly see how a move to United would damage his chances to play for France in the World Cup next year.
40-50 games for United >>>>>>>> any amount of games for Lyon.
And that's not even taking the training into account... he could learn another year from the likes of Scholes, Giggsy and develop further and - most importantly - faster. What is still to learn in Ligue 1? He has nothing to prove.
Been the league's topscorer: Done.
Ligue 1 Champions: Done three times.
Been the most important player of his team: Done.

I may sound like a transfer muppet, but yes, I'm desperate to get him. He would be perfect for us and I'm convinced Fergie eyes the situation very closely.
It's not really about damaging, it's hard to explain in english for me.It's about moving at the right time for him I think, maybe he isn't psychologically ready to move and play football abroad.There are so many things which could influence his decision and at the end of the day he'll feel more comfortable spending one more season in France, improving his game and all.
About the number of games, I disagree with you.I believe he'll be less rotated (even not at all) at Lyon than at United and for instance if Lyon goes far in the CL they'll have more or less the same number of matches as United in an entire season so ...

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
The thing with Rooney was that he was already in the England squad and a move to a big club would not harm his hopes for England (also no major intl tournament was coming up) & he was marginally way better than all of the other strikers England had anyway.. He was also all protected at Everton and was rested very often.. Infact he has played much more while at United..

In his 2 seasons with Everton's 1st team he played 37 games & 40 games respectively.. Where as at United his lowest return is: 43 games (in 04-05 & 07-08) also he only played so little in those 2 seasons due to injury...

Anyway the point is that Benzema will have to move to a new country, then he will have to settle down on and off the field, He will have heavy competition at United (Berba & Rooney) whereas at Lyon he is always 1st choice.. I agree he would play alot and may even earn a 1st team spot either by injury to others or good form.. But in any case it is less likely that he will have a better season at United as compared to Lyon.. & IMO his 1st objective is the France squad for the WC.. He can move on next year and that won't affect much as he is still only 21 years old.. Henry & Anelka had immaculate seasons at their respective clubs.. IMO he will not want to move on unless Lyon decide to sell him

I seriously believe we are in with a very very good shot of snapping him up next summer..

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I've changed my stance slightly regarding him... he is probably one of the handful of players that could bring that X factor that Ronaldo had. The only question is the price, but bar Hargreaves (who, without injury problems, is still a quality player), Fergie has usually gotten them right with his big signings. The only question is, do we leave Berbatov on the bench or put Rooney on the left?

I was looking forward to seeing Berbatov playing in front of Rooney next season, but if Benzema comes then no doubt he would be our first choice #9.
Benzema would be a very good long term signing. Love it to happen but we shouldn't throw a crap load of cash at Lyon. Its a long summer, no point in rushing.

Lot 49

Doom
Throwing a crap load of cash at Lyon is exactly what we should do imo.

Benzema is a monster of a player and would be absolutely perfect for us.

If Fergie uses the Ronaldo money on him plus a quality winger then we've done very, very well.

B Cantona

Desperate
So was Essien, and look how that turned out.. Don't think there's anyone who'd back away from him if we were given the chance to go back in time and spend £30m on him.
Essien the exception that proves the rule for me

For every Essien I can name you five Djemba Djemba's (Well there's two right there already see)

anything about now

But if we are slow when we do get to the jam jar the sweet jam might have been eaten (or bought by Madrid) :p
If his heart is not with us, then i don't want us to 'steal' him or anything.. I want a player who truly wants to wear the shirt, no matter how brilliant he is. The good news is that Madrid seem deadlocked on Villa, perhaps he is a "bigger name" or a bigger galactico in Spain than Benzema for them.

I know he mentioned before that he would prefer a move to Spain, but hopefully the attraction and challenge of the Premier League will make him fall in love and stay with us for a long time, if he does come.

fergieisold

If his heart is not with us, then i don't want us to 'steal' him or anything.. I want a player who truly wants to wear the shirt, no matter how brilliant he is. The good news is that Madrid seem deadlocked on Villa, perhaps he is a "bigger name" or a bigger galactico in Spain than Benzema for them.

I know he mentioned before that he would prefer a move to Spain, but hopefully the attraction and challenge of the Premier League will make him fall in love and stay with us for a long time, if he does come.
The good thing is that if we do get Benzema and he leaves in 4 years or so we will hopefully have 4 years of brilliant football from him and a strong team through that period and a sell on fee that breaks us even. Yes it is ideal to buy a player who wants to stay with the club but it's not always possible.

He said he'd prefer a move to Spain, but Old Trafford does funny things to players I think, I don't have a book of stats but I think the longer players spend at Manchester United the less they want to leave...Almost like Lifers in prison becoming institutionalised :lol:

Mainoldo

He's French!!! They love England :) Plus they never leave in their prime ask Wenger...

kanchelskis14

Essien the exception that proves the rule for me

For every Essien I can name you five Djemba Djemba's (Well there's two right there already see)
Djemba was a £4m rated footballer in fairness, and overall didn't play too far off from one. Essien just basically did what was said on the tin.

I was advocating us buying Essien for £24m at the time. I knew it was a lot of money, but I just felt when replacing Roy Keane, that isn't the time to cut corners. Keane was a massive player for us whom we felt would be so hard to rerplace. He's not the type of player you identify a replacement for, but then say he costs too much.

I'd say the same of Ronaldo. If the right player is available in Fergie's opinion, we surely shouldn't shy away due to the cost, especially when the cost is still likely to be less than Ronaldo.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
Benzema + Ribery would be a perfect summer, really.

Shame Ribery is probably well out of the equation.

Still, never know. Perhaps throw Aguero in too.

'Shut Up Muppet!'

Cold_Boy

Put Berbatov on bench and Rooney behind Benzema.

Why should Rooney be sacrificed again and again?

Fergies Formula

This is my take on Benzema, he is clearly a great prospect with great potential in his approach as a centre forward. He is exactly what we are missing; a powerful, direct player who can finish well , link play and has tremendous speed to split defences open. He has many great years ahead of him no doubt, so we need to act now to secure him with us...before its too late. Its a no brainer for me 40-50 million over 5 or maybe more years isnt much for a player with his promise. We will regret it if we miss our chance and its not like we cant afford it. Signing valencia and benzema will be great business by sir alex... We know he admires them as players lets hope he secures their services for many years to come.BLOW THE CASH!!!!

anything about now

Yep, Rooney is the only one versatile enough in the strikeforce. I know he's said before that he prefers to play centrally, but Berbatov on top form also brings so much creativity to the side that it would be a shame to leave him on the bench. Maybe they could swap throughout the match, with Evra bombing down the left to support them.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
If Villa is going to Madrid then Benzema will be going to Barca.

Isn't that obvious?

Status
Not open for further replies.